Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Did you know that the PS4 can not play Audio CDS, not only that but for a long time It could not play MP3s on a flash drive but after a 5 year wait or something Sony finally added that.

The Xbox One how ever has had CD support.

To no surprise the PS5 still does not have CD support, I'm not sure about MP3 though

The Xbox Series X how ever does support CD and also MP3.

Why Sony why? From the PS1-PS3 you were able to listen to CDs

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Seems they ran out of funds and gave up. Seems they solely relied on the sales of the game to get revenue.
I don't blame them (no one likes bleeding money), but this could have been handled much better.
I was really looking forward to this. Gave me Nocturne vibes. Hopefully it can be fleshed out over time .... or something. Shame to see it not reach it's full potential

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I was really looking forward to this. Gave me Nocturne vibes. Hopefully it can be fleshed out over time .... or something. Shame to see it not reach it's full potential
yeah, damn shame ... 'cause what's there is really damn good

Reactions: gabbo

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Did you know that the PS4 can not play Audio CDS, not only that but for a long time It could not play MP3s on a flash drive but after a 5 year wait or something Sony finally added that.

The Xbox One how ever has had CD support.

To no surprise the PS5 still does not have CD support, I'm not sure about MP3 though

The Xbox Series X how ever does support CD and also MP3.

Why Sony why? From the PS1-PS3 you were able to listen to CDs
Strange, since Sony was one of the creators of the format

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Only 6 days are left! We need 11 more votes to have the same poll turnout as last year's! :stupefy:

Do not be that guy! :emo: Use your :power: and mash your :eek:ld: like :cho:

I should mention that the temporary results look amazing, and you should take part in these amazing votes! :boomer:

Last edited:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Well, I just bought RDR2. First modern Rockstar game I have purchased in ages, never bought GTAV. We shall see how it goes...

Mostly unrelated, the game takes place in 1899, my grandfather would have been about 10 years old then. He was born in Mexico, about 100 years before I was born, so I never had the chance to meet him. My dad is the youngest of at least 17 children. I actually just saw a few pictures of grandfather I had never seen before, my Dad brought them over yesterday. My grandfather had lost an eye and part of his nose from a someone taking a knife to him in a fight and he had to wear an eyepatch. Whenever I hear stories of him, he is something like Paul Bunyan, a mythical figure, despite being the very real reason I am alive today. Crazy times...

Just felt I had to share given seeing the photos yesterday and seeing the timeframe this game takes place. I often wonder how much change and happenings he must have seen over his lifetime.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Well, I just bought RDR2. First modern Rockstar game I have purchased in ages, never bought GTAV. We shall see how it goes...

Mostly unrelated, the game takes place in 1899, my grandfather would have been about 10 years old then. He was born in Mexico, about 100 years before I was born, so I never had the chance to meet him. My dad is the youngest of at least 17 children. I actually just saw a few pictures of grandfather I had never seen before, my Dad brought them over yesterday. My grandfather had lost an eye and part of his nose from a someone taking a knife to him in a fight and he had to wear an eyepatch. Whenever I hear stories of him, he is something like Paul Bunyan, a mythical figure, despite being the very real reason I am alive today. Crazy times...

Just felt I had to share given seeing the photos yesterday and seeing the timeframe this game takes place. I often wonder how much change and happenings he must have seen over his lifetime.
Are you me? Finally got it today as well, after seeing that Rockstar had kindly unfucked it up on VMs, oddly one year after its stadia release.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Strange, since Sony was one of the creators of the format
I could be wrong but from what I'm seeing, Sony was among one of the first ones to make a commercially available device to play back CD. Sony actually had to pay a royalty to use CDs.

Maybe the data I have is wrong but it that was true it would make sense to make away from stuff that you need to pay for.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Three things stand out for me:
1- How 2020 was a rather mediocre year for RPG releases;
2- Disco Elysium and D:OS2 aren't as well regarded as the masterpieces they are as I thought;
3- I like the fact the re-releases/ports get their own poll;

PS: What counts as a RPG gets sillier each year... Avengers? XCOM? Really???
Regarding point 2: Disco Elysium not that regarded by Codex is not surprising when the site has nazis posting on it. And as a result of nazis posting there a game like D:OS2 is too whimsical for them

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I suppose everybody play Hitman traditionally and not obsessively ? I mean you beat a level one way and then play the next one ? I remember doing the two tutorials every way possible, but that doesn’t seem bearable with big levels.
Just a little taken by the small hype for 3, but I must admit to not being into it. I would very much like but the mindset of being an assassin makes me uneasy somehow.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Are you me? Finally got it today as well, after seeing that Rockstar had kindly unfucked it up on VMs, oddly one year after its stadia release.
Haha, yeah it seemed like one of the better times to finally hop in after all of the bug fixes. I still get the odd Windows sound mixer bug which starts the game low volume.

Reactions: Swenhir

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
My grandfather had lost an eye and part of his nose from a someone taking a knife to him in a fight and he had to wear an eyepatch.
I remember reading the Wikipedia page about this kind of practice in the USA, and was bewildered that this was a way to sort things out back then.

Edit: Found the page again. I think I ended up there as I was checking the rules of MMA. In comparison, MMA is for gentlemen.

Rough and tumble or gouging was a form of fighting in rural portions of the United States, primarily in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It was often characterized by the objective of gouging out an opponent's eye but also included other brutally disfiguring techniques, including biting, and typically took place in order to settle disputes. Though gouging was common by the 1730s in southern colonies, the practice was waning by the 1840s, by which time the Bowie knife and revolver had made frontier disputes more lethal.
Crazy times indeed. RDR2 must have been toned down compared to the reality of these times.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Haha, yeah it seemed like one of the better times to finally hop in after all of the bug fixes. I still get the odd Windows sound mixer bug which starts the game low volume.
So I'm also not the only one, again! I was having to crank up my VM's volume scarily high when I finally noticed the mixing issue. Far from the worst bug ever, but it's pretty funny that it is documented.

So far I'm not really amazed at much truth be told. Still, what I came for is delivering - the lighting, the nature is something else and characters are surprisingly well-written, given how much I loathed GTA 5's cynicism. Chapter 2 just started.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I remember reading the Wikipedia page about this kind of practice in the USA, and was bewildered that this was a way to sort things out back then.

Edit: Found the page again. I think I ended up there as I was checking the rules of MMA. In comparison, MMA is for gentlemen.
Yeah, it is surreal to think of getting into a fight like that. If I saw a knife, I would run so fast the other way. I think it may have happened after he came to the states to work at Rock Island Railroad, though not sure if he worked anywhere else or how he managed to come to the states. I was told it happened at a bar, but my Dad was not so sure of the details.

So I'm also not the only one, again! I was having to crank up my VM's volume scarily high when I finally noticed the mixing issue. Far from the worst bug ever, but it's pretty funny that it is documented.

So far I'm not really amazed at much truth be told. Still, what I came for is delivering - the lighting, the nature is something else and characters are surprisingly well-written, given how much I loathed GTA 5's cynicism. Chapter 2 just started.
Yeah it really is an odd bug. The amount of prompts and having to hold buttons has been so-so, but I agree about the interesting characters and nice scenery!

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I need the deets on this build/playthrough please.
Run Link: monstertrain://runresult/03e16e1a-1a16-4076-81d7-36f8f9063a94

The Welder Helpers and Fortify are the keys for me on the Little Icarus path, the armor will let Little Fade take more than one hit in round one, building multiple stacks right away. I'm pretty sure I had enemies start on all floors on the first stage for this one letting me get close to 20 spikes after the first couple rounds. In later rounds armor can make sure you survive enough hits for a boss kill.

After that it's all about killing and returning Little Fade with the 0 cost holdover Moldeds. Petrified Skull with 0 cost and purge/consume removed is fantastic for this, Subsuming Blade is good too and Crushing Demise is alright. Ideally I'd be reforming Little Fade at least twice a turn once I got going. It was essential in this run because Seraph would remove half of my spikes and I'd be able to bring them right back by reforming.

Hallowed Droppings is a card I've liked to get and give frozen with Melting Remnant just in case I end up short on burnout when I really need it.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I just tried Doom Eternal via xbox game pass. Is it me or is it "worse" than the previous one?
I just saw a video of the previous one to see if it was my memory, but it feels like a different game.
They left the frenetic action, but decided to reduce weapons ammo and insert precision shots from the beginning?
Like, the shotgun has 16 ammo, in the previous one were more like 20 with a default pistol that you don't have in this one. And the precision shots, like the turret of the first enemy, kinda kills the tempo of the game?
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like weird decisions that make the game more difficult and a little less enjoyable

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This was illegal buy remember the time when the US vice president killed secretary of treasure.

In the end it seems like the vice president was able to "get away it" after feeling the north and then to europe and other stuff. Now imagine if that happened today?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I just tried Doom Eternal via xbox game pass. Is it me or is it "worse" than the previous one?
I just saw a video of the previous one to see if it was my memory, but it feels like a different game.
They left the frenetic action, but decided to reduce weapons ammo and insert precision shots from the beginning?
Like, the shotgun has 16 ammo, in the previous one were more like 20 with a default pistol that you don't have in this one. And the precision shots, like the turret of the first enemy, kinda kills the tempo of the game?
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like weird decisions that make the game more difficult and a little less enjoyable
They want you to adapt a very, very specific gameplay loop. Use few shots, in a very specific way, then use the chainsaw to get new bullets, rinse and repeat.
I do not like it, and I feel it's much worse as a game than Doom 2016. I can see how it could be interesting to high level FPS players, though.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It may as well be a very different game. Creativity is stifled and difficulty is ramped up until the later parts of the game where you start having more tools.

I hated it, mostly, but some people like that new design. More power to them!

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
They want you to adapt a very, very specific gameplay loop. Use few shots, in a very specific way, then use the chainsaw to get new bullets, rinse and repeat.
I do not like it, and I feel it's much worse as a game than Doom 2016. I can see how it could be interesting to high level FPS players, though.
Yeah I constantly felt like the developers were forcing me to play how they wanted me to play instead of how I wanted to play. Eternal was the biggest disappointment in 2020 for me, I didn't enjoy it at all.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How does this legacy thing works in Hitman ? I have 1 and 2, is it worth it to have the content of the first one in the second graphic wise ? Will I have the same experience than if I played the vanilla 1 (cinematics etc. ?)

Reactions: QFNS and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I have 1 and 2, is it worth it to have the content of the first one in the second graphic wise ? Will I have the same experience than if I played the vanilla 1 (cinematics etc. ?)
yes and yes

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
How does this legacy thing works in Hitman ? I have 1 and 2, is it worth it to have the content of the first one in the second graphic wise ? Will I have the same experience than if I played the vanilla 1 (cinematics etc. ?)
I think each legacy level gets updated with the mechanics of the newest one.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Wait, was it possible to play Hitman without account ? I have no trace of one in my last pass. I tried using my steam account but afair you still need an account.
Very confused about the whole thing.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Three things stand out for me:
1- How 2020 was a rather mediocre year for RPG releases;
2- Disco Elysium and D:OS2 aren't as well regarded as the masterpieces they are as I thought;
3- I like the fact the re-releases/ports get their own poll;

PS: What counts as a RPG gets sillier each year... Avengers? XCOM? Really???
They prefer DOS1 from the time I've spent browsing arguments over there, and I'm in agreement with them in most of their opinions on DOS2, mostly around the frustrations of the terrible armor system. I'd rather replay 1 over 2.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
heh didnt played Eternal yet , but the bolded si totally how i feel after my numerous tries to play RDR2
Yeah I haven't played RDR2 because I know I wouldn't like it since I don't like Rockstar games and how rigid the missions are is one of the reasons. Another reason is I just hate the way they feel, the character never feels responsive with the amount of input lag and the constant slow animations that they use.

Reactions: prudis

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Late reply, but this here is a fine game. I played and finished it during COVID lockdown. Completing the main objectives are probably simple enough if you put everyone to the sword (or shuriken), but a no-alert, no-kill run can be tricky. The JP voiceovers can be a little wooden at times, and slight stutter during loadtimes can be expected (It's a Unity game after all) but the core gameplay is solid and the story decent.

I bought Desperados 3 shortly after since they're from the same developer, maybe I'll give it a go at some point this year.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
They prefer DOS1 from the time I've spent browsing arguments over there, and I'm in agreement with them in most of their opinions on DOS2, mostly around the frustrations of the terrible armor system. I'd rather replay 1 over 2.
Yeah, some of the most popular mods for DOS2 are about removing the armor system and rebalancing the combat without it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Ok, nearly finished with the two tutorials of Hitman. So far so good but I quit at the fashion show the first time so we will see.
Kinda tempted to remove the intrigue markers, but I fear it could make thing too difficult. At the same time if it’s just the markers that tell you where to go next it’s not the end of the world.

I really should play Shadow Tactics too.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
It feels good finishing games you have started past year and is right around the ending. Usually when I'm about to finish some game I start searching for new ones to play, then I forget about the previous one and the cycle goes on.

Just by looking my library there are a lot of games I started in the past but abandoned them, I think I'll try to go back to them and avoid buying too many new games this year.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I suppose everybody play Hitman traditionally and not obsessively ? I mean you beat a level one way and then play the next one ? I remember doing the two tutorials every way possible, but that doesn’t seem bearable with big levels.
Just a little taken by the small hype for 3, but I must admit to not being into it. I would very much like but the mindset of being an assassin makes me uneasy somehow.
I play as much as possible, doing all the story missions, all the challenges, unlock most things and such. I try to do everything before Hitman 3 is released (on Steam)

Only 53 achievements left do unlock :)

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
5 days left before it is :gameover:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
By the way, adding this rule is a genius move (I can't remember if it was there for 2019)

• As MetaCouncil is a predominantly English language website, any game getting an English translation in the correct time frame can be eligible.
Making my GOTY choice is a no-brainer. Thanks again Wok for your hard work!

Speaking of the English translation, 2020 was actually quite active for fan translation scene (at least for the English language). For example, GAGE, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Lord Monarch, Super Robot Taisen OG: Original Generations translation patches were released last year, just to name a few. Also, stuff like Phantasy Star and SMT Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition is still getting updated after years of their initial release.

Status
Not open for further replies.