Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Apparently having back buttons on controller is so big crime that it needs six days for trial?

[Hidden content]
only in the US where trademarks are a fucking nightmare thanks to troll companies like Ironburg Inventions

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Its kind of understandable for The Medium to be power hungry since you are playing 2 games at once on your screen. Or 2 different dimensions (I guess).

So its like playing multi splitscreen with a horror game. It makes sense to be taxing on gpu/ram. Also I believe its only 2nd next gen only game to come to PC after Godfall so yea requirements gonna start getting a bump.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
BCI is scary as fuck.

only in the US where trademarks are a fucking nightmare thanks to troll companies like Ironburg Inventions
Patent. But in 2033, when patent expires, we can have controllers with back buttons (without paying $4 per controller for rights). PS7-gen maybe becomes standard?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I love Control aesthetics but man does encounters get tedious.
I felt like this for some time in Control when the difficulty starts to go up and you don't have all the abilities unlocked yet. But once you do, combat became really fun to me again, just for how much you could break it. You could destroy even the toughest enemies with a few well placed attacks, move around the level quickly and just spam everything with attacks. Control feels like the most refined take that Remedy has ever had on combat.
I hope for Alan Wake 2 they have something better up their sleeve than the dumb flashlight mechanics from AW1. I feel with Control they have already shown how they could use the "Darkness" in interesting ways, but Alan Wake doesn't have the same powers as Jesse does, so I kinda hope they don't just copy the combat from the first game again.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Half way through Alan Wake
Ya know what would make the combat better? If the damned radar wouls tell me where enemies are. Like shit the fact that it only tells you where to go is a waste, if notes enemy location it'd make it easier to avoid back attacks for one thing :V

Still enjoying it but dang do episodes get LONG

I felt like this for some time in Control when the difficulty starts to go up and you don't have all the abilities unlocked yet. But once you do, combat became really fun to me again, just for how much you could break it. You could destroy even the toughest enemies with a few well placed attacks, move around the level quickly and just spam everything with attacks. Control feels like the most refined take that Remedy has ever had on combat.
I hope for Alan Wake 2 they have something better up their sleeve than the dumb flashlight mechanics from AW1. I feel with Control they have already shown how they could use the "Darkness" in interesting ways, but Alan Wake doesn't have the same powers as Jesse does, so I kinda hope they don't just copy the combat from the first game again.
Indeed, Control has the best combat of Remedy games so far (although Ive played very little of Quantum Break). It was quite bad in Alan Wake, unfortunately. American Nightmare had better combat than AW1, at least.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I have no idea why I’m getting called on this?

edit: ah wait, I’m guessing it’s from that “unpopular opinions” thread on Era.

Tbh I stand by what I said there; it’s a premium experience and that’s fine, just own it
I wish I could but I can't. I've never had the premium experience in 30 years of owning PCs. The most expensive graphics card I've ever bought was the 8800GT at 220 €. The most I have ever spent on a CPU is 170 €. I got through this generation with a GTX 660 and a 1050 Ti. It's not just that PC gaming has free online or cheaper games. It's also the fact that the lack of a hard cutoff (as opposed to console generations) means that you can still play new games many years after your hardware's logical 'end of life'.

I don't disagree that console gaming can be an excellent budget option depending on your gaming habits. I do strongly disagree with the notion that "PC gaming is more expensive, period".

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
BCI is scary as fuck.
Indeed! That article reads like something out of Deus Ex lore, like an ebook you would find scattered around the place explaining how it all started. Yeesh.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Indeed! That article reads like something out of Deus Ex lore, like an ebook you would find scattered around the place explaining how it all started. Yeesh.
I can see a lot of this stuff happening in the not so distant future tbh. I see some useful things in there but other things definitely rub me the wrong way.

Reactions: LEANIJA
Dec 5, 2018
This is something that I always find interesting. I mean, sure if you want to play the newest games in the shiniest way possible sure you go for the premium expirience but most people don't.

The problem is that the kind of people who would write about it on the internet are the ones that go to (or want to) the highest end and spend a lot of time in places like this.

But it's not much different than when I read about people owning multiple consoles (of the same gen).

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
He said BCIs will lead to gaming experiences far better than a player could get through their "meat peripherals" — as in, their eyes and ears.
"meat peripherals" — as in, their eyes and ears.
:besorgterfrosch:

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
A great choice. 👌
It exceeded my expectations, I was worried it would age as badly as Kepler. I wanted a 1060 at roughly 220 euros but at the time the cheapest 1060 was 270 € so I waited for prices to drop. Unfortunately shortly after the cryptocurrency mining boom happened and prices skyrocketed so a 1050 Ti was the only choice at a reasonable price point.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have no idea why I’m getting called on this?

edit: ah wait, I’m guessing it’s from that “unpopular opinions” thread on Era.

Tbh I stand by what I said there; it’s a premium experience and that’s fine, just own it
Just wondering, if PC gaming is a premium experience like you say, why do a lot of people in poorer countries game on PC more than on consoles? I've read articles on that many times.

I actually never understood it myself because I do know that for many people PC gaming is a premium experience, but for whatever reasons poorer countries play on PC more than consoles.

Only thing I can think of is that PC parts are much cheaper, but that's all.

Also, PC gaming is as costly as you make it to be.

Whenever I build my next PC, I plan to spend more or less around 3.5k. That's a lot, but I choose to do it.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
The only thing that PC gaming still lacks is an entry point for the masses. It doesn't need to be powerful, just easy to use, available worldwide and reasonably priced. Hopefully Valve will take another shot at the Steambox once Proton can run the majority of Steam's library.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Just wondering, if PC gaming is a premium experience like you say, why do a lot of people in poorer countries game on PC more than on consoles? I've read articles on that many times.

I actually never understood it myself because I do know that for many people PC gaming is a premium experience, but for whatever reasons poorer countries play on PC more than consoles.

Only thing I can think of is that PC parts are much cheaper, but that's all.
Quality F2P games. Moba, Battle Royale, and more recently Genshin Impact. Most of those games do not need high end hardware.

And of course piracy is still a thing in PC gaming.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
The majority of PC gamers are playing on mid-low end PCs. A bunch of PC gamers in enthusiast forums/Redditt who constantly upgrade their gear often skew that "premium" imagery for a lot of people though.
Yup. Most popular spec in the steam hardware survey is a quad core, 1060, 16gb, 1080p pc.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
PC gaming can be as expensive or affordable as you make it to be.

If your desire is to play the most modern games out during this year, yeah upgrading can be expensive.
However, one can still get mileage out of their current rig from playing through their backlog (yeah yeah I know, a broken track record at this point coming from me, but> ). Even older games can be a worthwhile experience if you give it a chance.
Still with some patience, the desired parts one needs for upgrading could be come affordable over the next couple of months.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Well to be clear, me investing in a powerful PC isn't solely for gaming, it also helps a lot with work and other stuff.

My current specs fyi, it was built in summer 2016, but the cabinet and PSU is older.

GTX 1080
5820k 4ghz oc'd
32 gb RAM 2666 mhz

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
If you don't mind me asking, what's your current specs?
[Hidden content]
i7 4790k
RTX 2070 Super
16GB RAM

My processor is definitely long in the tooth these days and I'll need a top to bottom redo soon enough to keep up with the next gen releases, which is very expensive obviously.
And I just can't be bothered with the cost of it anymore, so I got a Series X which will last me all gen :shrugblob:
My PC in the meantime will handle my backlog and other lighter fare
Mentioned before on here but I'm getting older and my priorities are simply changing.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
PC gaming can be as expensive or affordable as you make it to be.

If your desire is to play the most modern games out during this year, yeah upgrading can be expensive.
However, one can still get mileage out of their current rig from playing through their backlog (yeah yeah I know, a broken track record at this point coming from me, but> ). Even older games can be a worthwhile experience if you give it a chance.
Still with some patience, the desired parts one needs for upgrading could be come affordable over the next couple of months.
I probably won't upgrade until the gpu prices make more sense. Until then, I'll show everyone how my old PC can still run this year's and maybe the next one just fine. Just like how I still used my Phenom II PC until 2016 back then.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
My processor is definitely long in the tooth these days and I'll need a top to bottom redo soon enough to keep up with the next gen releases, which is very expensive obviously
The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your choices. Just for fun, because I like talking about such topics, if your goal is to keep up with next-gen releases, wouldn't a CPU /mobo/RAM change suffice? The 2070 Super is roughly a match for XSX's GPU and it is stronger in ray tracing.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
For me, the most important aspects of PC gaming are:

• free online
  • Steam in general
  • cheaper games (console games costs a lot here), all the sales
  • mods (some games are quite frankly much worse for me without mods)
  • genres and games that I really enjoy playing that either doesn't exist on consoles or are far superior on PC
like Factorio, Satisfactory, Total War, strategy games, grand strategy games, Oxygen Not Included, roguelikes/lites, FPS, management/building games. It's quite frankly impossible for me to live without these games an genres and most of them are not even on consoles
  • Much better VR (I hate PSVR, it's so bad compared to my Rift)
  • The vast majority of indie games are either only on PC, far superior on PC or coming day 1 on PC while certain consoles have to wait. PC are getting 98% of indie games day 1

In general the freedom and options it provides.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
GFN really changed everything regard PC Gaming as far as I'm concerned. 5 bucks a month and I can play CP77 on Ultra settings. Shadow has me tided over for the rest, with a Quadro P5000. The actual hardware I'm playing on makes me weep and I'm looking to upgrade that but yeah, I'm definitively not going to spend 3k - and don't need to - to enjoy most of what the industry has to offer. All of it is possible thanks to a really fast internet connection and low ping, this isn't what normal looks like for most people but I'm glad I have the option.

That is, everything but Genshin Impact because fuck VM users for some reason.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your choices. Just for fun, because I like talking about such topics, if your goal is to keep up with next-gen releases, wouldn't a CPU /mobo/RAM change suffice? The 2070 Super is roughly a match for XSX's GPU and it is stronger in ray tracing.
By the time I spend that much I'm nearly at console prices anyway, plus I could do with a refresh on my PSU and SSD after so long too, so more again

Reactions: Alexandros

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I think the defining characteristic of PC Gaming is its freedom and openness. You can (try to) upscale your experience by spending ton of money on high end stuff, or get the best, most price effective hardware for whatever your current budget happens to be.

There's a ton of points you could list here, but I feel they all stem from this basic freedom and openness, in the end of the day.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
My PC is Premium! If you go back 3 years anyway.
I've gone from scrabbling together 286/386/486/Pentium machines from obsolete parts that were being binned to building a mid-range PC every 5 years or so. The internet websites and forums and social media are skewed towards the newest and bestest at any one moment giving the impression that everyone is swapping space-age components every two weeks when in reality most of us run our machines into the ground and upgrade twice a decade or so.

Current spec:
Ryzen 2700X
32gb 3200 RAM
RTX 2070 (Non-Super)

Due to prices, stock issues, brexit etc i can see this machine lasting another 2 years before i upgrade again. I've an X570 mobo so i'll wait until Ryzen 5x is actually available as my next upgrade then an RTX 3K card sometime in 2023 when there's stock. Though i fear prices will not come down much by then as the market has shown people will pay scalper prices for this stuff so retailers and manufacturers will keep prices high.

What a lot of console and PC fanboys forget is just how big the mobile market is. We're very much in a bubble here and it always surprises me just how fucking HUGE some numbers of players that mobile games i've never even heard of actually pull in.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
i7 4790k
RTX 2070 Super
16GB RAM

My processor is definitely long in the tooth these days and I'll need a top to bottom redo soon enough to keep up with the next gen releases, which is very expensive obviously.
And I just can't be bothered with the cost of it anymore, so I got a Series X which will last me all gen :shrugblob:
My PC in the meantime will handle my backlog and other lighter fare
Mentioned before on here but I'm getting older and my priorities are simply changing.
Those are IMHO, good specs. Just need a CPU upgrade, and maybe the motherboard.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Desperados 3 might be the hardest game I have played in recent memory. This is my first rodeo in the real time tactics genre and I'm getting my face kicked in real good. It took me an hour to finish the 4th mission and I quick saved around 100 times. It's enjoyable, but I'm not sure how much I like the constant trial and error gameplay.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
By the time I spend that much I'm nearly at console prices anyway, plus I could do with a refresh on my PSU and SSD after so long too, so more again
Personally I would prefer the upgrade path because shooting way ahead of consoles would be an easy option through an inexpensive GPU upgrade. Three or four years from now I think I would be able to get a kickass GPU for 200ish euros/dollars and ride out the generation playing games with much better performance than base consoles. Just the fees for playing online on console would essentially make this a free upgrade on the PC side. I don't know, it makes more sense to me financially but obviously every person has different wants and needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.