Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Waiting for KT discounts is nothing but suffering.
I missed the Atelier sale on Steam last March (I wanted to buy Rorona ) and it's almost been a year since then and the game has never reached that low since then.... And when I say "low" I mean not even 50% off :negative-blob:
The only good sale from KT would be a price mistake, but they don't even do them!

edit: wow, I already got my Ryza code and it unlocks in 3 hours! Too bad it's midnight and tomorrow I have to work

Last edited:

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
so I finished Trials of Mana, it was a nice little game, i got attached to my trio of characters, the music was nice and the romp was fun. It didn't do anything particularly amazing but I felt like everything mashed well together.

I'll do the postgame stuff tomorrow, I wanted to do it tonight but I ended up playing gacha games instead, oh well.

Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I'm addicted to Elite Dangerous.

I'm playing it as a space trucker, just got a new ship (Cobra MKIII) and I already love it. I'm still inside what can be considered the tutorial area, and while jump I arrived in a uninhabited system and it was kinda scary but an awesome moment regardless.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
I really want to see that king kong vs godzilla movie.

Also, I really need a Pacific Rim vs Godzilla crossover.
I'm not ashamed to admit that the recent two Godzilla movies were one of the most unadulterated grinning pure fun I had with movies in many years. Dumb or not, they tickle my childish action mind in a really nice way.
Can't wait for the new movie!

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Hard for me to play anything recently. I'm two weeks past my Covid-bout but still have the worst headaches and muscle aches from just sitting at my desk. Stay safe everyone :photoblobheart:
Take care and best wishes :blobhug::blobhug::blobhug:

• Hug
Reactions: Routa

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Tried Yakuza Kiwami 2, got bored real fast.
It's just same game, again and again, worse than Ubisoft.

I love the story and characters, but I can't muster the courage to play the same tedious and repetitive combat, samey minigames that I'll mostly ignore, and quests that would be interesting if I didn't have to interact with the franchise.
It's just an absurd amount of backtracking, always the same boring city (and some extra each time - which doesn't break the routine enough), and just... a complete copy/paste with nothing else than good story; so i'll just skip the boring parts and watch on Youtube.

On Discord some say that I'm hating games, but I'm not?
I just find them a chore to play?
When I play Batman Arkham Asylum, I like it! After the 579167th game that has the exact same trite combat and yet again executed the level design for a boring open world with nothing in it, I don't bother.
That's not hate just... franchises that shit out the same thing every year. I like it once, then never again.
Yakuza is exactly that, far worse than anything Ubisoft or Activision can do.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
On Discord some say that I'm hating games, but I'm not?
If I've learned anything, it's that Discord somehow fosters really toxic atmospheres, even in this community. What you are saying makes sense, there is a definite trend of these games following a pattern and formula. Your perspective seems understandable to me.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I'm not ashamed to admit that the recent two Godzilla movies were one of the most unadulterated grinning pure fun I had with movies in many years. Dumb or not, they tickle my childish action mind in a really nice way.
Can't wait for the new movie!
I thought the last one was really great. It was way over the top with the monsters, constant destruction, cool scifi military hardware, and it's one long battle scene nearly from start to finish. That's how you do a monster movie.

I wasn't really into the Brian Cranston one before that, precisely because it left out all that stuff for almost the whole movie. When I was a kid, that's the part I hated - who are all these guys talking? More monsters. It was an ok movie, but I really needed it dialed up to 11 and that's how the 2019 one felt.

Along those lines, I think Wes Anderson would do a good Destroy All Monsters style godzilla. Practical effects and retrofuturistic rockets and puppets and all. The tone is like that, too, like a joke taken too seriously which Wes Anderson is good at.

Edit: also where the hell is that pacific rim anime on netflix?

Reason: MIA
Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: freshVeggie

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
If I've learned anything, it's that Discord somehow fosters really toxic atmospheres, even in this community. What you are saying makes sense, there is a definite trend of these games following a pattern and formula. Your perspective seems understandable to me.
Eh, it's not really toxic, it's more of games being either 98% MC or less than 0%.
Interesting to note the ones that miss the mark too: Gears of War get slaughtered for being always the same with obsolete gameplay (absolutely right, I couldn't spend more than 15 mins in GoW5)... and then the latest Assassin's creed is released and it's the best yet of a franchise that may as well be the canned food of videogames.
Or any Sony game that we've all played a million times, but it has a Spiderman skin instead of Batman, totes different.

And worse, Yakuza 7 evolving meant... keeping all the same issues, throwing away the boring action combat for boring turn based combat that makes the game even slower and more tedious with backtracking though.:weary-face:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Eh, it's not really toxic, it's more of games being either 98% MC or less than 0%.
Interesting to note the ones that miss the mark too: Gears of War get slaughtered for being always the same with obsolete gameplay (absolutely right, I couldn't spend more than 15 mins in GoW5)... and then the latest Assassin's creed is released and it's the best yet of a franchise that may as well be the canned food of videogames.
Or any Sony game that we've all played a million times, but it has a Spiderman skin instead of Batman, totes different.

And worse, Yakuza 7 evolving meant... keeping all the same issues, throwing away the boring action combat for boring turn based combat that makes the game even slower and more tedious with backtracking though.:weary-face:
Well, there's no accounting for taste. What you find boring is thrilling and atmospheric to some other people.

On an intellectual level, I can definitively agree that formula-based iterations of games aren't always the best in my opinion. Innovation is something I personally value a lot.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
That's not hate just... franchises that shit out the same thing every year. I like it once, then never again.
Honestly that's a very fair opinion. Yakuza games are very samey but they are often carried by very strong story chops.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I don't know, I enjoyed Yakuza formula a lot more than Ubi/Acti stuff over the years.

• Collecting stuff in Yakuza is a lot more fun because you can upgrade Kiryu's abilities from it, AssCred? Not so much.
  • Side Stories in Yakuza are funny and memorable. Do they even have memorable sidequests in AssCred?
  • Exploring Kamurocho/Sotenbori on foot is a whole lot more engaging than riding a horse/cart for 10 minutes in whatever AssCred.
  • Combat in Yakuza can be a tedious exercise, sure. But like any other games, they have plenty of options in terms of fighting style. Also, they have accessories to remove random encounters if you dislike it.
  • The turn-based combat in Yakuza 7 can be slow at the start, but once you have high-level job abilities, the random encounters can be dispatched within 1 turn. Also again, there is an accessory to remove random encounters.

I think it's fine to have a difference of opinion though, it's regrettable that you got attacked on Discord for it. The clique shit on Discord is something I'd like to keep away from, myself.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

YoYo Games (GameMaker) has been bought out by Opera (the browser makers).

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I don't know, I enjoyed Yakuza formula a lot more than Ubi/Acti stuff over the years.

• Collecting stuff in Yakuza is a lot more fun because you can upgrade Kiryu's abilities from it, AssCred? Not so much.
  • Side Stories in Yakuza are funny and memorable. Do they even have memorable sidequests in AssCred?
  • Exploring Kamurocho/Sotenbori on foot is a whole lot more engaging than riding a horse/cart for 10 minutes in whatever AssCred.
  • Combat in Yakuza can be a tedious exercise, sure. But like any other games, they have plenty of options in terms of fighting style. Also, they have accessories to remove random encounters if you dislike it.
  • The turn-based combat in Yakuza 7 can be slow at the start, but once you have high-level job abilities, the random encounters can be dispatched within 1 turn. Also again, there is an accessory to remove random encounters.

I think it's fine to have a difference of opinion though, it's regrettable that you got attacked on Discord for it. The clique shit on Discord is something I'd like to keep away from, myself.
I was trying to figure out why I like Yakuza and don't like AssCreed as much, and this list is a pretty good start. AssCreed games are visually pretty, but that can't sustain interest -- when I'm playing Yakuza, I never get tired of looking around or interacting with everything. I think playing a "real" character helps with this. The story and characters are just so, so much more engaging on every level.

I think Yakuza is up there with Souls for me -- if they put out a game every year, I'd happily play it without getting bored and still look forward to the next one. AssCreed, no way. But on the other hand, I can totally see why someone would see those games as similar and not be into it. Also, the though of getting dogpiled by Discord nerds because of that opinion is just embarassing -- wtf is wrong with people? What did people like that do before they could argue on the internet?!

• Comfy
Reactions: Tomasety and Kvik

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Idk, I played Like a Dragon, 0 and Kiwami 2 almost back to back and they feel like pretty hugely different games to me. Kiwami 2 was a huge upgrade from 0 in how open and explorable or interactive the areas feel and even if people love the on the fly style changing in 0 the combat engine is just way more modern and smoother in Kiwami 2. Regardless of which you prefer they do differ a lot. Like a Dragon doesn't evolve the area interactivity too much in comparison to Kiwami 2 perhaps, but it takes place in a whole new area for the most part, Ijincho, which has a very different design and layout to it so it's all good once again. And of course it has the whole new JRPG turn based combat system. And the stories are always awesome overall and also can differ to each other a lot.

Maybe Kiwami 1 is too similar to 0 if you play those back to back, or Yakuza 6 is indeed too similar to Kiwami 2, being on similar iterations of their respective engine versions, but then both Kiwami 1 & 2 are remakes of the PS2 games to bring them on par with the series' then current state anyway, if you had played them as they released on PS2 they'd have a different charm or you could just skip the remakes and still have different experiences from all this timeline.

But I suppose when they do make a game that feels too similar to the last in that it has the same sort of combat style and the same possibilities as far as the town goes, I too may find it a chore to find all the same items hidden in all the same spots, but at that point perhaps it'd still be plenty enjoyable to play the bulk of the main story stuff and ignore the side fluff if it's too samey. Anyway, so far the way I've played (part of) the series it's been fine. Maybe it applies to 3, 4 and 5 if they're much alike, I'll know soon. But even so it's not too many games in the series before each bigger change or upgrade occurs. Also, at least they didn't take the easy way out and make each game's scope smaller just to leave more differences for the sequel. Like not let you go to Sotenbori after introducing it.

Big difference to AAA games anyway, Yakuza was successful in Japan but not to AAA level and it only recently became successful in the West, finally, already.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I can finally role-play as a hobo soon..
Hobo: Tough Life will launch in 1.0 version on March 30th, 2021. The new update will be available in the experimental branch on Steam around March 7th, so that anyone interested can experience the game sooner and help us deal with any potential bugs.

We realize that many of you are eagerly expecting the new update and cannot wait for the changes it will bring. We apologize for keeping you in the dark for so long, but we simply could not pinpoint the new release date any sooner.

Two months is quite a long time, but believe us, it is going to be worth the wait. With all the new additions, changes, tweaks and final polishings, Hobo will feel like a whole new game!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
There is no way they try to take over EA or Take-Two. That just seems too expensive and pointless.

I can however seem them take over Ubisoft. Or straight up buy them out. They have a much smaller market cap and I believe Tencent already has 5% share of Ubi.

If any of this shit is true I imagine Microsoft is biting their lips behind the scenes seeing if they go to a bidding war with Tencent lol. Either way some company is gonna come out rich asf after this :coffee-blob:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

Thing is, I dropped AssCreed in the SECOND game because it was exactly the same thing with a skin on it.
I fucking hate all Ubisoft games.
Played Origins for an hour before getting bored of the "new" formula, which is... not that different? It's still the same boring reactive combat where you wait for openings. Actually a lot of similarities with Yakuza.

And... there's totally upgrades in AssCreed. Boring, bland, useless with fake ilvls everywhere, sure. But I don't see the difference with Yakuza where.. you get the same thing, but with even less variety. Fighting styles are just so cookie cutter that you don't play what you want, you play what's needed. Quite literally mandatory in many later boss fights too. You have your heavy boss, your fast boss... use your stance or you can't hit.

But it did nothing to fix the glaring issue of the game: combat is boring as shit because there's absolutely nothing to it.
In the entire franchise, you fight one enemy. A basic melee human (or one with a gun that he drops once you hit him once, big difference). And that's where the entire game falls apart, there is no variety whatsoever, everything is fought the same way. With extra context sensitive QTE, such an amazing concept. Where is the gameplay of those games? It plays worse than shoddy PS2 action games... which they are, so that's... actually kind of the reason. They are not even the McDonalds of action games, they are the American "cheese", no taste, no texture, no point, but it's here because apparently everyone thinks it's needed.

The combat FINALLY gets different in a few boss fights... usually in bonus content like in the arena or secret bosses. Those could be the basic of gameplay. But it's not the case in 99.9999% of the game. You just waste your time doing the same combos on the same 1 enemy and it seeps everywhere:
Do I like the story? Of course! It's gauntlets of 1 copy/paste enemy. Do I like the side quests? Of course. It's one or two fights with 1 copy/paste enemy.

Everything that's good in Yakuza is when you don't play. When you read, when you watch cutscenes. Maybe some of the old Sega games too.
The same geriatric combat with no depth whatsoever and the inane backtracking is just a chore. There's nothing to explore in the exact same city every time. There's nothing the first time around. Collectibles are fucking trash, and the different activities may as well be chosen with a menu so you'd avoid pointless travel and combat.
Exploration is complete shite, and I thought that before I even finished the first game.

Those games are Ubisoft quality, but massively worse.
They should be visual novels, like so many time wasters coming from Japan. If you can't make a fun game to play, drop the bullshit.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Yakuza games have heat actions
If one has appreciation of beat em ups, they would enjoy the combat more

Jow much of a dull human being do you gotta be to not appreciate this gloriousness-
It's fun once, then it isn't. The number of traffic cones and bottles that I broke on people in Yakuza must be counted in the hundreds.
It's just a cut scene that you get when pressing one button. Hundreds of times. Same for the electrocution one, pretty common.
Something that Dragon Age 2 ended up creating as "press A for awesome". Well, it's Y here.

Reactions: Kyougar

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I also don't think the combat of Yakuza is very fun to play. Controls are not responsive enough and encounters are very repetitive (Huh, is that guy.... Oi! Give me your money). Style-changing in Yakuza 0 adds depth to the combat system but ultimately I just used a few of the moves available because there is no point in using most of the moves.

To me, the strength of Yakuza is atmosphere, dialogues and stupid moments. There are legit funny scenes that make me laugh. Mini games are also pretty cool and can be very addictive, like the management games in Yakuza 0. IMO, they are much more fun to play than the main story and I would pay real money if they choose to make a management sim spinoff based on those games.

Last but not least, I have to be honest here. My first experience with Yakuza series is actually Judgement and I ultimately quit the game halfway due to how boring the game is. Pacing is weird and the story is all over the place. Maybe it will click next time when I play it on PC but now, it is a pretty weak entry to me.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Made a new short video about obscure psychological horror that most of you guys probably never heard about before.
curious how you disabled the vsync in the init.cfg file
Found what I was looking for. Did reinstall because of the video, would love to see more on the game, and any other obscure games from that time period that you have

Last edited:
Reactions: InquisitorAles

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
There is no way they try to take over EA or Take-Two. That just seems too expensive and pointless.

I can however seem them take over Ubisoft. Or straight up buy them out. They have a much smaller market cap and I believe Tencent already has 5% share of Ubi.

If any of this shit is true I imagine Microsoft is biting their lips behind the scenes seeing if they go to a bidding war with Tencent lol. Either way some company is gonna come out rich asf after this :coffee-blob:
They can't buy Ubisoft because when they bought those 5% they signed paper where it said that they can't increase their shares for 5 years i think.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Jow much of a dull human being do you gotta be to not appreciate this gloriousness-
My favourite heat actions from Kiwami 2 are the ones where people whom Kiryu helped tossed him stuff to use as a finisher. That was fun to collect.

To me, the strength of Yakuza is atmosphere, dialogues and stupid moments.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Yakuza store page today?
I also don't think the combat of Yakuza is very fun to play. Controls are not responsive enough and encounters are very repetitive (Huh, is that guy.... Oi! Give me your money). Style-changing in Yakuza 0 adds depth to the combat system but ultimately I just used a few of the moves available because there is no point in using most of the moves.

To me, the strength of Yakuza is atmosphere, dialogues and stupid moments. There are legit funny scenes that make me laugh. Mini games are also pretty cool and can be very addictive, like the management games in Yakuza 0. IMO, they are much more fun to play than the main story and I would pay real money if they choose to make a management sim spinoff based on those games.

Last but not least, I have to be honest here. My first experience with Yakuza series is actually Judgement and I ultimately quit the game halfway due to how boring the game is. Pacing is weird and the story is all over the place. Maybe it will click next time when I play it on PC but now, it is a pretty weak entry to me.
Might I recommend, Yakuza: Like a Dragon?
At least when you're picking commands from a menu you don't expect them to be different and the heat actions (summons) are still ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, only now you aren't spamming them as much because they make them cost $$$. Its a great system and has all the other cool gangster crime stuff, silly minigames, and whatever elsle you want from these games.

• Comfy
  • Gib
Reactions: Cacher and Kvik

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Might I recommend, Yakuza: Like a Dragon?
At least when you're picking commands from a menu you don't expect them to be different and the heat actions (summons) are still ABSOLUTELY ridiculous, only now you aren't spamming them as much because they make them cost $$$. Its a great system and has all the other cool gangster crime stuff, silly minigames, and whatever elsle you want from these games.
Love turn-based RPG. From everything I have heard and seen, I think it is a game for me but well, it is not yet available here. 🤣

Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Yeah, I'm never a fan of Yakuza combat either.

It's cool to see the finishing move at first, but after a while it gets tiring. The combat is also very repetitive and button mashy. At least there are multiple stances to make things fresh, but tbh I usually stick to the default most of the time. It's best to play the games on easiest difficulty.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Regarding GOTY, what do you think the best way to disclose the results would have been? Either release all at once when it is ready (as in 2018 and 2019), or tease #20-#11 and then release the top 10 in one shot?

This year, it took me a bit longer than I expected, it was partially voluntary... and partially not. I ended up releasing #26-#4 in chunks, while America was asleep, and then the top 3 altogether. But it dragged on quite a bit (several hours) for various reasons.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Regarding GOTY, what do you think the best way to disclose the results would have been? Either release all at once when it is ready (as in 2018 and 2019), or tease #20-#11 and then release the top 10 in one shot?

This year, it took me a bit longer than I expected, it was partially voluntary... and partially not. I ended up releasing #26-#4 in chunks, while America was asleep, and then the top 3 altogether. But it dragged on quite a bit (several hours) for various reasons.
No point in teasing unless the top 3 or top 5 are super close. Otherwise just release at once imo.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Retro Bundle by Immanitas Entertainment | PC - Steam | Game Keys 88% off - [UWSL]3,69€[/UWSL]

Contains all of the following:
  • Axizon Labs: Zombies
  • CARSTEROIDS
  • Chipmonk!
  • Dark Disharmony
  • Darkanoid
  • Ghost In The Barn House
  • Kalaban
  • Proxy Air Force
  • StrikeForce Kitty
  • The Valley of Super Flowers
A cheap bundle for collectors I assume. I'm not familiar with the games contained on it so can't give an opinion about the bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.