Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Doom really is Eternal

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think I can really see the validity of the criticism of the AC games. I haven't played enough of Yakuza to know. Unless you are someone deeply drawn to atmosphere and the joy of the immersion in their world and don't mind the mechanical shallowness, you are definitively going to be turned off by them.

The AC games in particular do have that notoriously bad, immersion-breaking feeling to them that feel like they are games made by committee, where each element was designed and worked on in an independent silo of devs and the whole never really came together other than in theoretical "it should work" ways. They are games that feel like they are coming off an assembly line where the experience as a holistic whole was never really considered and iterated on. At least that was my impression, the collectibles and meaningless time-wasters certainly didn't help.

I think the thing that most managed to turn me away from them was a poll sent by Ubisoft in which they somehow really, really wanted people to see these games as open world. However at that time the city was just a thing you navigated in, got collectibles and if you wanted to do any narrative content at all, you entered a separate mode where deviation from the game designer's hand meant a desync. That, I think, illustrates the argument I'm trying to make.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
  • This!
Reactions: Ge0force and QFNS

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It's fun once, then it isn't. The number of traffic cones and bottles that I broke on people in Yakuza must be counted in the hundreds.
It's just a cut scene that you get when pressing one button. Hundreds of times. Same for the electrocution one, pretty common.
Something that Dragon Age 2 ended up creating as "press A for awesome". Well, it's Y here.
Well as I wrote, if one were accustomed to beat'em-ups, they'd enjoy the Yakuza combat a lot more. The Heat moves being fancy cool animations...they ain't tha much different from spell casting or performing certain actions in action or rpg oriented games. In the case of yakuza one doesn't HAVE to use them, but they're nice and flashy enough that some just enjoy pulling them off.

One thing I've settled on is that I play at least 1 yakuza game per year to avoid getting burnt out. I started with Yakuza 3 and got each annual release on PS3 since. Playing them months or a year apart allows me to cool down from the combat system for one thing.

Repetitiveness, for lack of a better term, is in all video games. It comes down to the gameplay loop and if it entertains you. I like Yakuza series gameplay loop and combat. If you don't like it...that's fine (but them flashy heat moves are awesome still, stop just using traffic cones :p), but I suggest taking a longer break between games (in particular games of any series) to not get burnt out on their playstyle. Sometimes that helps going back to certain games much better.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
What bothers me with Yakuza is the random encounters. I want to be able to walk in the streets without meeting a random group of people looking for a fight.

Same with Final Fantasy and Pokemon, back in the old times. I wish there were a button to toggle random encounters ON and OFF.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Repetitiveness, for lack of a better term, is in all video games
Eeeh, some more than others. I don't know the Yakuza games but I don't think a blanket statement like that really does justice to the depth of some games and shallowness of others. True, subjective like of the mechanic plays hugely into what will stick with you or not but some games are clearly more repetitive mechanically than others, with little to keep you engaged.

At the end of the day, you like what you like and clearly the Yakuza games are enjoyed by a lot of people. I still think the argument against them is valid.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
What bothers me with Yakuza is the random encounters. I want to be able to walk in the streets without meeting a random group of people looking for a fight.

Same with Final Fantasy and Pokemon, back in the old times.
Yakuza doesn't have random encounters. You can out run from everyone except the scripted fights

Dec 5, 2018

Same with Final Fantasy and Pokemon, back in the old times. I wish there were a button to toggle random encounters ON and OFF.
Those games usually have skills or items that let you do that, but usually later in the game (I loved that FFVIII let you get that skill like a few hours into the game).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The same could be said of the combat finishers of the AC series, especially in the earlier entries :).

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I don't understand EA, it's not until the last 2 weeks or so of Season 7 that they start to advertise the game and not at the beginning?
It's fun to see the discussions on the ryza 2 forum focusing about the important stuff, like camera angles.
NSFW?
KT know what they are doing.

Truly daring game design

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Looks like another demo festival thing incoming on Feb 3.

Looking forward to downloading a thousand demos and having access to them all yanked before I can get to playing them!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Reactions: Ascheroth

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

^One of many videos that detail important stuff regarding how NVidia is handling the new line of RTX 30 mobile GPUs. Simply put, watch a video or read a review about a laptop you're interested in that has an RTX 30 before getting it to get an idea of how the GPU performs.

This laptop at least seems able to get good FPS in Cyberpunk it seems from the testing shown in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.