Community MetaSteam | January 2021 - It's Rare to See a Medium So Well-Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
So is the Yakuza bundle discount a launch discount? There doesn't seem to be an "until" date on it. I need to finish Ghost of Sushi and I'll play Nioh 2 before starting the bundle, but if it won't be on sale then, I'll buy it now ...

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So is the Yakuza bundle discount a launch discount? There doesn't seem to be an "until" date on it. I need to finish Ghost of Sushi and I'll play Nioh 2 before starting the bundle, but if it won't be on sale then, I'll buy it now ...
Its the regular price.

Reactions: xinek

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I was confused as well, apparently the "discount" is what you save by buying the bundle.

Reactions: xinek

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
tried out the Balan Wonderworld demo and it's... not bad? sure, it feels like a game Sega designed 20 years ago with a modern UE4 facelift applied, but the consequent weirdness and jank is more charming than frustrating, at least in the first couple stages. still, I can't say how much patience I'd have with this over the course of an entire game, and the demo is already using one of my least favorite platformer design tropes (gating access to new, mandatory levels behind collectibles that aren't actually required to complete previous levels), so... eh, whatever, it stays on my wishlist, not like I was going to play it until it gets a steep discount/bundled/added to Game Pass anyway

Reactions: Tizoc

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
tried out the Balan Wonderworld demo and it's... not bad? sure, it feels like a game Sega designed 20 years ago with a modern UE4 facelift applied, but the consequent weirdness and jank is more charming than frustrating, at least in the first couple stages. still, I can't say how much patience I'd have with this over the course of an entire game, and the demo is already using one of my least favorite platformer design tropes (gating access to new, mandatory levels behind collectibles that aren't actually required to complete previous levels), so... eh, whatever, it stays on my wishlist, not like I was going to play it until it gets a steep discount/bundled/added to Game Pass anyway
Visuals hurt my eyes at first but once I got used to it it's pretty nifty. A bit slow but not a dealbreaker.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I played a little of Eastward demo from the last Steam Festival, and I enjoyed it a lot. But I wish they tone down the CA effect a little bit. I know that's the style they're going for, but I feel the pixel art suffers a bit because of it.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The more I see of DW2 the more I think it's standing a serious chance at being my favorite game from 2021 if it releases inside of it. It's giving me that feeling of space expansion and exploration being tackled seriously, at least an attempt at it from a systemic standpoint, in ways that are much more believable than most space 4X I've seen.

The seamless map certainly helps :p. I mean, the first game already was something unbelievable. There's the amount of automation available, which already hints at a game design that didn't attempt to create problems for the sake of the player having something to do but instead allowing them to step back and strategize. Then there's stuff like the private sector being simulated and displayed even though you play as the state and have no direct control over it.

The best I can say to summarize the feeling I'm getting is that it's seeming to be to the 4X genre what Supreme Commander was to the RTS genre, and then some :).

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeaaaaa something tells me The Frontier is never coming out
This reads like that R18+ mod for VTMB the modders from LoversLab did years ago. :dana_blanket:

Canzah's Licensed Music Restoration mod for Yakuza 3 is up.

Last edited:

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
Were they releasing a Rance Game on Steam?
Mangagamer generally wants everything to be on Steam and I know they submitted Rance VI a few years ago, but Valve banned it. Not sure if they've bothered with the newer ones. It's just weird that Rance is banned but Evenicle isn't.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
I will soon to review it on our French website. Got the key, will play this week end. I'll let you know my first thoughts ;)
ExistentialThought Well, took me more time than I thought to be able to play Ender Lilies.

First contact, it's beautiful and some animations are really nice. Music is superb, epic, melancholic, a delight to the ears.

Sounds (steps, sword moves, enemies attacks...) however, are... kind of raw. Looks like they come from a free soundbank online, really cheap and annoying (the flapping of crows' wings is awful).

Gameplay is kind of meh for now (I'm at chapter 4 out of 10). Classic platforming / metroidvania, too much by the book. I played Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake recently, its exactly the same kind of game, 32 years later. I unlocked a few moves and attacks, but it's still basically the same thing (with more attack types, fast travel and modern stuff, but the core of the gameplay is basic af).

I played Dark Devotion last year too, I find it much more interesting so far, but that's because it's more a Dark Souls in 2D than an arcade game.

Ender Lilies is an arcade game. It's not a bad thing, but it's not the best arcade game I played, especially because controls are slightly too heavy, like you can expect controls in a 2D Souls Like. Still, Boss fights are not bad.

But again : I'm not usually too much into Japanese games art style, but Ender Lilies is sometimes beautifully animated and the atmosphere is really cool.

So far, it's not enough to make it a good game, but I'll go further to see if it gets better.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
They took the Frontier down.

Hidden at 28 Jan 2021, 3:27AM by weijiesen for the following reason:
Some deeply concerning news has emerged in the past few hours. We have been recently notified that one of our developers, ZuTheSkunk, had posted animated pedophillic content on their personal artist accounts.

The items in question are deeply disturbing to the entire team, and we condemn them in the strongest sense. ZuTheSkunk has since been removed from the Development Team and banned off of our Community Discord.

We will be conducting dialogue with members of the development team to hear their thoughts regarding the current situation and help make our decision more informed. We have stopped production and work on the mod to address the current events properly. More measures will be undertaken and a more detailed address will be posted soon.

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed both in the mod, and outside of it, belong solely to the authors who write them, and not to the mod's organization, community, or other group or individual.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
This reads like that R18+ mod for VTMB the modders from LoversLab did years ago. :dana_blanket:

Canzah's Licensed Music Restoration mod for Yakuza 3 is up.

Hold up, the pre-rendered cutscenes of the PS3 version are higher quality than the ones used in the remaster?!

Reactions: QFNS

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
huh , isnt this like direct port from PS4 remaster ? ... are you tellingh me the Ps3 to PS4 port usedworse textures?
The reviews I read were saying that the pre-rendered cutscenes looked worse than the gameplay because they were stuck with the video files of the PS3 version, which makes sense.
I don't see any justification for worse quality though, they probably used some shitty compression for the remaster.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I like this comment I found on Reddit about Steam/Epic.

And this another issue, but EGS will always play second fiddle to Steam so long as it lacks a community. Steam's community is rooted in the forums, reviews, user guides, screenshots, etc. And the Steam community can be awful in some cases. But the truth is that Steam isn't just a store. It's a community. The EGS needs a community to compete. Fortnite doesn't count. The EGS needs to be more than a place where you buy and launch games. It needs to be a place people look for answers. Stuff like that.
It's true. Steam guides and Steam forums has been a blessing for me in many games, especially games with puzzles.

Steams community is one of the many features with Steam.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
It's true. Steam guides and Steam forums has been a blessing for me in many games, especially games with puzzles.
Steam guides are great. Lots of information for the games. Too bad it's also filled with troll guides. Mostly for lesser popular games. I wish there were some sort of moderation for the guides.

I did report a guide that wasn't even a guide, but I don't know if it's removed since I haven't received feedback

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
Steam guides are great. Lots of information for the games. Too bad it's also filled with troll guides. Mostly for lesser popular games. I wish there were some sort of moderation for the guides.

I did report a guide that wasn't even a guide, but I don't know if it's removed since I haven't received feedback
I'm fine with dealing with the occasional troll guide as a trade-off for some truly excellent ones.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Lot of corporate restructuring happening. They seperated their leadership of core gaming development and pachinko business too.
Sega is struggling due to covid. I think they sold the whole arcade business to another company.

Reactions: Tomasety

Kvik

Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Speaking for the C Sector, our team had been striving to finish Azure before the end of winter, which would mean the middle of March at the latest—in other words when Zero came out last year. Is that set in stone? No. Things can change. However, we have been adamant about this goal for several months.
the Geofront will not be supporting the Asian PC ports of Zero and Ao that will be published on Steam by Clouded Leopard this year. While we understand why many fans would like us to, it will not be possible. Please understand that those new ports will be based on Zero: Kai and Ao: Kai and not the original PC ports done by Joyoland that the Geofront’s mods utilize.

By all likelihood, the Crossbell Kai duology from CLP is inferior anyway.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Sega is struggling due to covid. I think they sold the whole arcade business to another company.
Microsoft rubbing their hands
Nagoshi is a good dude and he's clearly a great producer, but yeah, he shouldn't be making financial decisions as he clearly has messed up some releases with their strange platform choice.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Even when looking at used GPUs there's nothing I can afford. My brother will sell me his at a very low price but first he needs to find a replacement and nothing is catching his eye. This shit is so frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.