Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
A user on the Steam Deck subreddit made a quick 3D mockup of what a Steam Deck controller might look like:

A refined version of the original Steam Controller with all of Steam Deck's control options would be the perfect gamepad.
Maybe it should include display to be closer to the original Steam Controller prototype?

So back to original monthly? but revealed upfront, I guess.

Also removing discount from frequent pausers.

hopefully they'll keep sending $6 coupons at least...

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Soon they only give shitty Humble app keys?
Exclusive discounts

When you join Humble Choice, you’ll save more on the Humble Store the longer you’re an active member, with discounts reaching up to 20% on eligible purchases. (Discount resets if you skip or cancel.) If you’re already an active Choice member when February Choice arrives, you’ll start off right away at that maximum 20% discount, and stay there as long as your membership remains active.
Welp. Goodbye discount. Guess that means I'll do some shopping during their winter sale which should start any day now and then I'll likely be doing a lot less business with them. Ain't no way I'm not gonna pause if I don't like a month so essentially the discount is gone. Meh.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

That is...that is not at all what I wanted from them....

"We’ve been listening to the Humble community about how we can make Humble Choice even better, and the message is clear: make it simpler, level up the value, and focus on choosing only the best games around. "

No... you really have not listened Humble if that was your message.

I was in the camp of being fine with fewer titles and instead focusing on higher quality titles. Instead they have continued to struggle with having any headliner titles and a mixed bag of picks. Giving their own titles for free is already something they have been doing, putting it on a launcher does nothing for me. Their other perk of purchase discounts has continually become worse with some publishers and developers opted out of the 20% off entirely. Making it so you have to stay subbed just to get the full 20% is ridiculous. I do not even directly pay sites like GMG and Fanatical, yet they are able to provide comparable and sometimes better discounts...

I was going to pause this month since I own a majority of the titles, seeing as how I will now lose my discount and the cost is going to stay at the 12USD/month so I am not protecting my classic pricing. This looks like it will be my last month.

Last edited:

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
the more and more this shit is pushed on me, the more I'm just going to stick with anime as my main hobby going forward

I think this is going to be inevitable tbh
I have the perfect game for you:
Anime Kingdom
AnimeNFT is the creator of the most anticipated NFT game called Anime Kingdom, This game will offer in game NFT assets, and you will be able to hunt, fish, explore, build, battle and develop your own real estate plots like never before, all while creating a passive income stream for yourself. Get involved early as these NFTs will be extremely limited. This is just the tip of the iceberg and we believe this will be the future of gaming. We will strive to continue producing innovative NFT products.
:evilblob:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
lol. 12 months needed for 20% discount.
I'd have guessed it would be like 3 months.

Consecutive Months Discount %

1 - 2 10%

3 - 5 15%

6 - 11 17%

12+ 20%

Hahah, yeah nope, this is my last month. I have been subbed for ages and only paused once last year. I am pausing this month since I own multiple games including all of the headliners. The fact that it will now take me 12 months to get back to 20% is a joke.

I might hop on the random bundle, but I am no longer buying games through them when sites like GMG, Fanatical, and others offer just as good of discounts.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Isn't this like the Humble Trove or qhatever they called it?

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Random question: Has Windows 11 allowed users to change the position of taskbar yet?

I was always a filthy Taskbar-on-top Exile, but i moved mine to bottom recently cuz I heard Windows 11 forces it to bottom and doesn't allow you to move it. I thought it would be good if I trained myself to like it here on the bottom. But... gosh, I want it back on top so bad. It just looks better!! Especially since all the internet browsers put tabs on top anyway. A-anyway, I just wanna know how or if this is changed in W11 yet?

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, good and weird news.

Good news is that tomorrow I should have my computer back, yay!

Weird news is that it was a RAM module all along the cause of the problem and static, I don't understand anything anymore. :|

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I went ahead and nuked Windows.

The new Gamepass install stuff actually works when I'm reinstalling games from my previous installation, no need to faff around with deleting folders? What the actual shit?

• Eyes

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Random question: Has Windows 11 allowed users to change the position of taskbar yet?

I was always a filthy Taskbar-on-top Exile, but i moved mine to bottom recently cuz I heard Windows 11 forces it to bottom and doesn't allow you to move it. I thought it would be good if I trained myself to like it here on the bottom. But... gosh, I want it back on top so bad. It just looks better!! Especially since all the internet browsers put tabs on top anyway. A-anyway, I just wanna know how or if this is changed in W11 yet?
I dont use Windows 11 but I tried it out when it was in beta, and it was possible to move the taskbar up top (where it belongs) using regedit

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018

So I can finally cancel my grandfathered plan now? Paused 14 months in a row :steam_pigblanket:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

I read that entire thing expecting something... anything? It's just Choice... but with better games, maybe, and shittier discount? I don't think anyone was dying for a Twitch Prime competitor.

edit: 12 months? they were not listening... at all.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Count me in among the people canceling. The biggest reason I was willing to ride along for some of the weaker months was for the 20% discount, since I could often save a decent amount through it. Tying that to pauses just kills the value for me.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I read that entire thing expecting something... anything? It's just Choice... but with better games, maybe, and shittier discount? I don't think anyone was dying for a Twitch Prime competitor.

edit: 12 months? they were not listening... at all.
For people on Classic it's straight up worse because of the discount nerf. It's just the old monthly but kinda worse benefits now.

I again wonder who the hell is calling these shots at Humble and what data is convincing them that losing customers will make them more money. I'm assuming the Choice at that price point is profitable for them, which means the classic plan was always profitable and everything else was even more profitable. But there are plenty of people that just passively waited for the odd perfect month (for them) and otherwise utilized the discount which, as others have said, more or less brings Humble to the same level as GMG, Gamergate, or Gamesplanet.

So with this change, you lose everyone who was keeping their classic plan paused for the discount but still spent money in the store. You're gaining some people for which the old more expensive plans weren't worth it, but you're also losing some of them because of the discount change as well. You're straight up just losing customers under almost every scenario, because the only reason to change the discount like that is because they felt like they were (somehow) losing money on it, but it still doesn't make Humble the cheapest legit 3rd party shop most of the time (I think I've bought like, 4 keys from Humble over the past year or two, and I buy a ton of games). Of course it's also hurting charities because of the passive income they got from people using Humble but Humble has clearly not prioritized the charity part for years.

Edit: It's possible this is manufactured negativity, that they intend to "respond to feedback" and change the discount to be like, 10-15-20% at 1-2-3 months, but they already have negative attitudes leftover from their recent attempts to give less to charity (and developers).

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Lmao just saw that ominous mail from Humble. I'm expecting the worst and would not be shocked in the least if this will be what finally gets me to cancel altogether. Oh well, at least my last 3 months will have been on a 6$ promo. 🙃

I barely ever played anything anyway. The only real impact was making me more hesitant to buy indie games because of fear they'd be in Choice soon. I did get a lot of trading cards out of it, though!

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Oh my god, reinstalling Windows fixed the problems I was having with VR games stuttering constantly! YESSSS!! I was worried it wouldn't, that would have made me really upset.

Right now I'm glad I don't have Humble Choice, I guess. Instead I'm waiting for Gamepass PC to disappoint me, most likely when they remove the option to get it for free with reward points.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Name a more classic duo than Nvidia and Shitty Review Shenanigans.
Battlefield and launch day issues.

As for Humble…they’d better step it up because Prime Gaming took their Spot for me. I didn’t need simpler - I just want to see some better games on offer.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
no fov slider :(

I think the app is just for the Humble Trove replacement, not for the surprise keys, though it should be clearer. if they're not giving Steam keys anymore, that seems suicidal

re: the changes: "fewer games but better" is good in theory but obviously depends on the execution; adding newer Humble Games releases to the Trove is good but a proprietary Humble launcher is dumb; don't really care about the store discount (I hardly ever buy games from Humble Store anyway) but it sucks that they're changing it.

overall, Humble Choice has been a pretty bad value lately compared to PC Game Pass, and arguably even compared to EGS freebies; pretty sure I paused more months out of last year than any year since I started my subscription. Hope they can turn it around, though I'm not exactly holding my breath.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That is...that is not at all what I wanted from them....

"We’ve been listening to the Humble community about how we can make Humble Choice even better, and the message is clear: make it simpler, level up the value, and focus on choosing only the best games around. "

No... you really have not listened Humble if that was your message.

I was in the camp of being fine with fewer titles and instead focusing on higher quality titles. Instead they have continued to struggle with having any headliner titles and a mixed bag of picks. Giving their own titles for free is already something they have been doing, putting it on a launcher does nothing for me. Their other perk of purchase discounts has continually become worse with some publishers and developers opted out of the 20% off entirely. Making it so you have to stay subbed just to get the full 20% is ridiculous. I do not even directly pay sites like GMG and Fanatical, yet they are able to provide comparable and sometimes better discounts...

I was going to pause this month since I own a majority of the titles, seeing as how I will now lose my discount and the cost is going to stay at the 12USD/month so I am not protecting my classic pricing. This looks like it will be my last month.
Yea I would have preferred them to decrease quantity and increase quality. They are only good for 1 or 2 bundles a year with how bad they've been.

Should have done 1 or 2 AAA games + 1 or 2 good indies. Basically what PS+ does.

20% going away sucks too. Doesn't really sound like they thought this through. I guess I'll start using GMG again instead so good for them.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Just cancelled my Humble sub, which I had zero plans to cancel anytime soon until this news hit.

The discount changes are just an absolute silly attempt to punish those who pause. I have only paused like 4-5 times since December 2016, yet I would have likely never hit the 20% discount given the timeframes between pauses had this change been in effect since the beginning. Add in the fact they are saying they will give out non-Steam keys and it just feels like the value is not enough for me to stay subbed.

• Eyes

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Just cancelled my Humble sub, which I had zero plans to cancel anytime soon until this news hit.

The discount changes are just an absolute silly attempt to punish those who pause. I have only paused like 4-5 times since December 2016, yet I would have likely never hit the 20% discount given the timeframes between pauses had this change been in effect since the beginning. Add in the fact they are saying they will give out non-Steam keys and it just feels like the value is not enough for me to stay subbed.
Remember when it was bought by IGN and they said to not worry because the quality would be the same? :blobyikes:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I thought this was what the post says they're trying to do, unless I missed something. skeptical that they'll actually pull it off, of course
The language they are using is way too cagey. Write a lot and say little. For them "bang for buck" just means a cost number they can write to show how much people are saving.

I expect them to have a good bundle next month to pick up a lot of people and then back to being shit for 8 straight months.

At this point I would love for them to go back to unveiling a few and revealing the rest later strategy. And I hated that strategy but that early time period was 5x better than it was these past few years.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I've been mostly happy with the monthlies over the years even when everyone claims they are the worst ever so 🤷‍♂️
I would honestly love to know what it would take for some people to consider a bundle good, for instance an hypothetical bundle line-up. For me, most of the times, it feels like a fail the keep one's expectactions in check.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I've been mostly happy with the monthlies over the years even when everyone claims they are the worst ever so 🤷‍♂️
I would honestly love to know what it would take for some people to consider a bundle good, for instance an hypothetical bundle line-up. For me, most of the times, it feels like a fail the keep one's expectactions in check.
I have largely been happy too, but from time to time I own a large % of the games offered, so I pause those months OR I have at least felt somewhat justified staying active to use my discount on other games releasing that month (I would gift extras games I owned to friends). Then they made gifting riskier by flagging folks as traders, so I limited who I shared codes with to only friends I know in person. Now, with the changes to the discounts, any time I pause means I lose the only other reasons I used Humble over other services. Needing to stay active for 12 months to reach 20% discount just feels like a tall order. Heck, I could maybe have justified it if it was like a 3 month 10%>15%>20% and actually applied to all PC titles, rather than what is happening right now with publishers opting out.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Really excited to see what Hitman 3 is like. Absolutely loved 1 and 2, and hopefully completing the set on Steam will work easily.

I also want to replay some of Dakr Souls 3 and the DLC before Elden Ring.

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
Nuking Windows also seems to have improved my performance in some games. Control with RTX stuff was previously staying around 50 FPS and getting a bit lower in fights, now it's staying in the 60's and 70's.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
taste in games is subjective, of course, but as somone who's been subscribing to Humble Monthly/Choice since 2017 or so, I've found that the bundles are less and less likely to include games that are relatively high on my wishlist and that I don't already own or haven't already played. Meanwhile, I find that PC Game Pass (and to a lesser extent, EGS giveaways) is more likely to include the sort of games that would have sold me on a Humble Choice in the past - to name a few drops from last week alone, The Pedestrian, Gorogoa, and Olija all fall into this category for me - and that's on top of all the Day 1 releases on Game Pass.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
I'll be canceling my Humble Classic as well. The discount resetting means I will never have the full 20% again so no reason to hold onto Classic or really buy from Humble when other stores do the same or better discounts.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I have subscribed almost since the start and I think I probably average about 50% "take" and 50% skip, and the ratio would be worse but I do subsidize the cost by selling a couple of keys I don't want on the keep months (usually big stuff I don't care about, I almost always stay for the indies). In 2019 and 2018 I kept every single month and while I did offload some keys here and there, by and large I was happy every month. I skipped half of all 2020 and 2021 months.

Again, I'm usually not here for the headliners, but their lineup has really gotten cluttered with a bunch of party games, multiplayer only things, "big" indie games that I'm not interested in, etc. So it's more a matter of they're really not hitting the sweet spot for as many as they used to. People that want AAA games like AC: Origins, Control, etc. either don't see them or they get them really late. People that end up with a bunch of $15-20 base cost indie games like me aren't happy because now there's 1-3 per month but rarely enough to justify by themselves. People that want party games... will just by party games, honestly those seem like the worst ones to the broad "public" from my view.

Again, the value isn't objectively bad, but the set of games rarely lines up that well with what most people would be after. It sort of made more sense with the plans where you picked some games but those were a much higher cost for kind of less than any other gaming deals (game pass, normal bundles, fanatical, Steam bundles, just waiting for sales, Twitch Prime, etc.) and now they're completely stepping away from that.

Going back to "everyone gets everything" will maybe dial in the focus a bit but if it's fewer games per month you do potentially run into the same issue of not appealing to enough people. And with now getting punished for skipping (or, you can look at it as just getting a 10% discount instead of 20% because that's what it is) there's less incentive to stick with it in general.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
I like Chet and the game will be around $23 at launch. I think I'll be getting it.
Me too. I've been looking forward to it.

Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 are some of my favorite co-op games of all time. There have been a few other good L4D-likes, such as Vermintide, but despite some areas of improvements(variety of bosses, larger swarms, etc.), none have come close to L4D for me. Back 4 Blood was apparent for what it was back during the Alpha & Beta tests, and I called it for it.

The Anacrusis shows a lot of promise, and I like what I've heard from Chet. In particular, one of the reasons for L4D's longevity is mods. There are hundreds of good custom campaigns to play. The Anacrusis is the only L4D-like I know of to fully embrace modding.

• Eyes

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Same. I've found a good number of bundles well worth the asking price. All it takes is the value of the ones I want to be less then I'd likely spend for them in sale and it's worth it and that happened a good proportion of the time.

Some people talk about the good old days of monthy when they used have a few AAA titles in there but personally I picked those up way less because the few revealed games where more often something I either owned or didn't want and the games I did want got hidden behind the lootbox style system which I wasn't going to be drawn into subscribing just in the hope for.

We'll see if this latest change results in more or less interesting bundles for me.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I have subscribed almost since the start and I think I probably average about 50% "take" and 50% skip, and the ratio would be worse but I do subsidize the cost by selling a couple of keys I don't want on the keep months (usually big stuff I don't care about, I almost always stay for the indies). In 2019 and 2018 I kept every single month and while I did offload some keys here and there, by and large I was happy every month. I skipped half of all 2020 and 2021 months.

Again, I'm usually not here for the headliners, but their lineup has really gotten cluttered with a bunch of party games, multiplayer only things, "big" indie games that I'm not interested in, etc. So it's more a matter of they're really not hitting the sweet spot for as many as they used to. People that want AAA games like AC: Origins, Control, etc. either don't see them or they get them really late. People that end up with a bunch of $15-20 base cost indie games like me aren't happy because now there's 1-3 per month but rarely enough to justify by themselves. People that want party games... will just by party games, honestly those seem like the worst ones to the broad "public" from my view.

Again, the value isn't objectively bad, but the set of games rarely lines up that well with what most people would be after. It sort of made more sense with the plans where you picked some games but those were a much higher cost for kind of less than any other gaming deals (game pass, normal bundles, fanatical, Steam bundles, just waiting for sales, Twitch Prime, etc.) and now they're completely stepping away from that.

Going back to "everyone gets everything" will maybe dial in the focus a bit but if it's fewer games per month you do potentially run into the same issue of not appealing to enough people. And with now getting punished for skipping (or, you can look at it as just getting a 10% discount instead of 20% because that's what it is) there's less incentive to stick with it in general.
I don't see how this change will affect the lineup in any meaningful way. They offered different kinds of games from different genres to captivate the maximum amount of buyers possible and they'll still do that. You'll still get the mandatory multi-player game, the mandatory puzzle game, the mandatory shooter, etc. My gut feeling tells me there weren't a lot of subscribers in the lower tier, the one that got 3 games iirc, most of the subscribers were getting the whole bundle.

The only way to get a cohesive collection of games would be to have thematic bundles but there's no way that's happening in the monthlies, that's what their random weekly bundles are for.

The discount situation is an entirely different subject. There's no defense possible.

• Eyes

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
I generally don't pause if 2-3 games in the bundle interest me since I feel like that's value for me. That said past I've been on a discount for the past 3 months so if it had maybe 1-2 games that interested me I wouldn't pause. Also Mafia Definitive Edition seems like value to me.

The discounts it doesn't matter to me since other 3rd party sites already offer deals better than the Choice 20% so I never really end up buying from the Humble Store.

At least now classic plans can just straight up cancel and not have to go through the process of pausing every month to "keep the value".

I guess I'll wait and see how good the next few months are then.

Amzin

Dec 5, 2018
I don't see how this change will affect the lineup in any meaningful way. They offered different kinds of games from different genres to captivate the maximum amount of buyers possible and they'll still do that. You'll still get the mandatory multi-player game, the mandatory puzzle game, the mandatory shooter, etc. My gut feeling tells me there weren't a lot of subscribers in the lower tier, the one that got 3 games iirc, most of the subscribers were getting the whole bundle.

The only way to get a cohesive collection of games would be to have thematic bundles but there's no way that's happening in the monthlies, that's what their random weekly bundles are for.

The discount situation is an entirely different subject. There's no defense possible.
I would be well and truly shocked if they don't reduce the number of titles every month. Between the price reduction for all non-classic members (the number of people on the "lite" plan was probably less than I have fingers, more or less) and the expectation that everyone gets everything now rather than that just happening sometimes, the number of games will drop. Now, most bundles have like, 3-6+ games I don't care much for, but there's no guarantee those are the ones they're going to cut. So, if we are going from 12 games to say, 6-7 (which is closer to pre-choice days and what makes logical sense here), having 2-3 "off" games is way more unappealing since that only leaves 3-4 "on" games compared to 6+ previously. They even suggest that they'll be cutting the number of games for "better" games but their quality has always waffled endlessly, and while a lot of it is subjective, they have clearly had flop months.

Using the Choice style where you see everything before you buy, and having a set price, means they both have to conserve costs and make it appeal to as many people as possible, which is probably going to mean fewer underground indies. Maybe more 12 month of big name titles that have already hit 75% off. It's all hypothetical at this point but they clearly have a trend of trying to give less and profit more (over the past 1-2 years especially). That means we all lose eventually.

Again, I have gotten a lot of value from subscribing since like, Q2 2016. But that's been going steadily down, and every time Humble has said "we're improving something" they've made it worse. The change from Monthly -> Choice was only an improvement for Classic plans really. Before with Choice, they were doing a shotgun approach to try and get enough variety that every bundle would have 3-6 games someone would pay $14 or so for. Now they have to find a way to keep everyone interested in probably have the titles and a lower cost. While I fully expect them to have some heavy hitters lined up for the 1-2 months after the change, I suspect I won't have any reason to renew my annual membership for the first time since I started subscribing.

The fact they are halving the discount (which again, only served to keep them on the same level as other discount sites) and continue to seem to want to cut more and more charity out of their business just makes it all the easier to stop. Fanatical is great for bundles (and some sales), GMG and Gamesplanet have great discounts often, and I can just give the money I save buying stuff elsewhere directly to charity. I'm more disappointed because I know so many people won't, which means all the other customers Humble is driving away just means that much less money for charities.

It's possible they surprise everyone and just nail month after month after month after month, and the discount reduction doesn't matter because everyone stays on forever, but based on historical evidence that won't be the case. I know I'm skipping the current Choice but I believe that won't affect the discount when the new system takes effect in a few weeks. But the reception to these changes (largely the discount, and the new launcher) have been pretty universally criticized so far, so it makes it hard to believe that the system will stand the test of time if they don't overload the bundles for forever. The monthly subscription doesn't justify itself if enough people aren't subscribed (especially with the new DRM games for paying members).

Status
Not open for further replies.