Community MetaSteam | January 2023 - A new season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Man I’m getting tired of the place I live in, not only is it filled with squatters that break the elevator on a daily basis, pee in the stairwell. But now the management has cut water and left for the weekend, without any kind of warning. How the hell does one manage without water until Monday?

Edit, ok phew the water is already back haha, my neighbour seemed so pissed so I thought it was going to be for the weekend.XD

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
TLDR: Pentiment is a nice game and you should play it.
I think there's quite a few factors about that, and indeed, Gamepass games are ignored because it means less revenue for reviews, and they are a business, not something to inform potential buyers, and it has always been.

The game obviously lacked marketing, but then, it was also not supposed to be big and popular with what it is, and having small games like this is probably not a bad thing for a studio anyway.

But the bigger "issue" it has, is that it is an Obsidian game.
Obsidian was never a big name, and I don't mean in quality, they obviously made a ton of excellent games... but they also almost always played second fiddle to bigger and more marketable teams and are know to make sequels, like Bioware for the old stuff, then following Bethesda for New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, but also new things that kinda flop like for THQ, My.com, and a whole bunch of others with only one constant: they were almost always broke and certainly never had the marketing they would have wanted... or the time to finish their games.
Too many reasons to count (or even know, definitely plenty of legalese involved in their troubles), but they've always been on the verge of breaking down and are incredibly unlucky in their endeavors for some reason.

I doubt Pentiment could ever do crazy numbers with being an adventure game, but I don't think it's somewhat linked to it, even when they made great RPGs just a few years back, they didn't exactly do too well... because it's not the 90s anymore and people are not really that interested in games like this.
Planescape wasn't the biggest hit ever, and if you released that today... it sure wouldn't sell any more copies in 2023.

At least it seems Grounded was quite successful (again, not with reviewers, they're here to sell hype for companies, not helping customers), it was not a small game where it matters today, on streaming platforms and social media.
In the same way that Sea of Thieves is never getting a 94 on metacritic, but it sure is popular.

Now only the future will tell how their games will go, but I have no doubt Microsoft will help fund the marketing at least.
But as far as hitting the heart of modern players? That I do not know.

Reactions: oipic and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Curiuous how far we are from a Returnal date announcement. Lots of interesting Steamdb updates today and yesterday.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
While watching Alex's video about PC ports for Digital Foundry it really hit me that Playstation's games are setting the bar for ports in a lot of ways. I think that's surprising considering they started doing these so recently. To think that seeing these games on PC was a pipe dream just a few years ago.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
After starting Deus Ex Mankind Divided 4-5 times and never making it past the doctor in Prague, I've finally found my rhythm with the game on the Deck. I bought it all the way back in 2017 and I love the series as a whole.

I actually think this one feels a bit better than Human Revolution!

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Interesting mix of permille and percent there from guru3d. ‰ vs % is quite a difference, so I wonder which it actually is.
THIS DRIVES ME UP THE WALL. Its like someone saying "Basis points are the same as percentages."

Motherfucker NO THEY ARE NOT. They are exactly NOT that. A Basis point is 0.01% , which is helpful when a government does something like raise interest rates by 25 basis points you know they mean 0.25% vs saying raising interest rates by 2% (when it is already at 2%) it can be unclear if that means 4% or 2.25%. This makes things clear.

Mixing up per mil and % above is the same thing. Infuriating.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
THIS DRIVES ME UP THE WALL. Its like someone saying "Basis points are the same as percentages."

Motherfucker NO THEY ARE NOT. They are exactly NOT that. A Basis point is 0.01% , which is helpful when a government does something like raise interest rates by 25 basis points you know they mean 0.25% vs saying raising interest rates by 2% (when it is already at 2%) it can be unclear if that means 4% or 2.25%. This makes things clear.

Mixing up per mil and % above is the same thing. Infuriating.
Hence why we should all use the more obvious unit of measure, the micro lashmanbacklog. It's in base 20000 though.

• Toucan
  • Blobxorcism
Reactions: lashman and QFNS

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have been absent for the last few days. D&D implosion is so fucking entertaining I barely have time to read all the takes on forums I follow.
And when the topic dries down, Hasbro shoots another bullet in its foot.

I don't have enough popcorn.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
I've just been told about and seen Paralives which has been in dev for a couple of years now and looks to be a smaller in scope ( so far, well obviously they're a tiny dev ) Sims-a-like. Looks like it might be worth looking in to and keeping an eye on.

I was following this game for a while for something to slightly rival The Sims (like Cities Skylines) but those sim-likes doesn't look too good imo. I'll stick to The Sims, especially now that 4 is on Steam.

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! Falexandre is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Jan 15, 2023 at 1:57 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

From the Fanatical Starpoint Gemini Warlords Complete Bundle.
(It's just the base game)

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I have been absent for the last few days. D&D implosion is so fucking entertaining I barely have time to read all the takes on forums I follow.
And when the topic dries down, Hasbro shoots another bullet in its foot.

I don't have enough popcorn.
As someone who both plays in a D&D game and runs a D&D Hasbro and WotC can go screw themselves. Both of our games are converting to Pathfinder 2E soon. I've actually bought a cheap refurbished small PC that was probably used in an office to run a server for Foundry VTT for both games and I'm going to be working on setting up Foundry this weekend.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
As someone who both plays in a D&D game and runs a D&D Hasbro and WotC can go screw themselves. Both of our games are converting to Pathfinder 2E soon. I've actually bought a cheap refurbished small PC that was probably used in an office to run a server for Foundry VTT for both games and I'm going to be working on setting up Foundry this weekend.
I'm beginning to read Pathfinder 2. My case is more theoretical given my social life, but hey. One thing is for sure, it's more intimidating than 5e. Maybe not in play. I kinda like their new character creation, reminiscent of Gurps or Savage Worlds imho.

Seriously though, i wish I could be part of dnd groups and such. 😭
Drakar oc Demoner has a new version coming ! It will be the third attempt in English IIRC.

I mean, pretty sure PossiblyPudding would be game for a TTRPG, we would need maybe two more and me discovering my balls and daring to do voice chat.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I did play that in my teens! Thought it was just a copy of dnd, didn’t know it was too different from it.
I couldn't tell you as I obviously didn't read the original (nor really the new one, just a glimpse), but I wouldn't be surprised if it has little to do with it, more of an IP thing. The new version looks pretty simple (and you can play a Mallard, so it must be good).

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I'm beginning to read Pathfinder 2. My case is more theoretical given my social life, but hey. One thing is for sure, it's more intimidating than 5e. Maybe not in play. I kinda like their new character creation, reminiscent of Gurps or Savage Worlds imho.
Yeah both character creation and the rules in general seem to be a bit more complex than 5E.

I assume everyone play dnd online these days? How does that work?
Several of the people who I play with are in a different state so yeah we play online. We use discord for voice chat a virtual tabletop software to play the game. We are switching over to FoundryVTT though I had used an browser extension called AboveVTT that turned DNDBeyond into a VTT and the game I was in used Roll20 for the VTT.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I do wonder how much I’ve made, I do vaguely remember some did give quite a bit , like those alien isolation tie in hats I want to remember sold well.
The saddest thing is that I do like CSGO quite a bit, but it's so unfun playing with randoms.

• Sad

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yeah always much more fun with people you know. But sometimes it can be fun, like today in cod I was riding the train and I took out three other player on the train all by myself! I was so proud haha
I will reinstall Warzone once I get my SSD on the mail :D

• Love

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Seriously though, i wish I could be part of dnd groups and such. 😭
The thing about DND Groups is, you spent 10% of the time playing, and the other 90% of the time scheduling.

Im salty AF the DND campaign i was running never went far, i had this idea that the party would be hunted by Nemesis from RE3 throughout the campaign, and i had created whole custom subclasses like a "Gambler", "Bloodthirster (Vampire)" and a ton of multiphase boss fights that i all already had prepared

I mean, pretty sure PossiblyPudding would be game for a TTRPG, we would need maybe two more and me discovering my balls and daring to do voice chat.
Depending on how things work out, i might also be.

:h02writing:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Lost Ark be "let's ban inactive players"... :toucan:

Any updates on this? This seems like extreme abuse of Steam if the dev is actually banning inactive users.
Back in the day, my jam was Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight! And Mysteries of the Sith expansion. Played sooooo much online.
You bring that up because of GDQ?

I enjoyed Dark Forces 1 a lot, but Jedi Knight really didn't appeal to me back then. Can't remember all the reasons why. But due to the GDQ run I'm going to give it a real shot! I already own it on GoG and jumped through the hoops to get it running properly just last night.
Best part of tf2 back in the day was all the loot one could sell, there were some winter sales that I sold a bunch of tf2 gear to buy games. Some have quite a lot!
Best part of TF2 actually in the day was there was no loot and the gameplay was actually balanced and not ruined by loot bullshit.
Okay, so iirc, my only time really playing Team Fortress 2 was for a few hours... on Xbox 360 via Orange Box. That's my only experience with it. I'm so sorry.
Also iirc, I played more of Team Fortress Classic, actually. I recall enjoying that, but I was never super into it.
Better than loot-era TF2

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
If you want a cheap PC controller grab a Stadia controller on eBay.

Google are releasing a firmware tool to enable Bluetooth next week.

Is it any good?

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Haha, I never played Team Fortress 2 nor any MOBA, those are for old people! :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-tightly-closed-eyes:
Or maybe it's because I didn't like Team Fortress 1 and the original DOTA mod because
You mean Aeon of Strife, i hope.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Is it any good?
Yeah, I grabbed one a month or two ago and I’ve been using it wired. It’s a very comfy controller. Feels like a hybrid of the DS4 but with Xbox button layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.