Community MetaSteam | January 2023 - A new season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Interesting that Epic rather shuts Rumbleverse down than bringing it to Steam. I guess we shouldn't expect other Epic published games to hit Steam neither.
Honestly, do you really think releasing this game on Steam would "save it"? PC multi/gaas/service market is pretty packed up already and any possible launch buzz went out of the window with the Egsclusive

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

Square Enix

Idk man I still think capcom's doing some number fudging on these quarterly updates they give on games. I've seen things like the original dragon's dogma selling something like 300k in a quarter, or the breath of fire series selling +200k and I find that incredibly hard to believe. Who is buying these ancient niche games in that large of a number a decade or more later? I don't even think a new breath of fire would sell that much in a single quarter lol.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Idk man I still think capcom's doing some number fudging on these quarterly updates they give on games. I've seen things like the original dragon's dogma selling something like 300k in a quarter, or the breath of fire series selling +200k and I find that incredibly hard to believe. Who is buying these ancient niche games in that large of a number a decade or more later? I don't even think a new breath of fire would sell that much in a single quarter lol.
I did get Dragons Dogma for Nintendo Switch because I never played it and it turned out to be not only an awesome port but also an amazing game. Another thing to note is that since last year, it has been regularly on sale for dirt cheap ( like $5 or less) so the crazy numbers don't sound so strange to me.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

thread about magicka and how it influenced paradox
On this day 12 years ago Magicka was released and changed the world for
@ArrowheadGS

@PdxInteractive
and myself forever. It's one hell of a game (if you can get it to run). <3
I doubled up on marketing and producer for that one. Edited trailers and I even made one of the levels in Magicka: Vietnam. What a ride.

Best part was the launch. The game was, incredibly buggy on launch, but outsold anything PDX had done in 24 hours.

I think I stayed up for 36 hours straight responding to every post on Steam and our forums until I passed out. Once I woke I found that others now kept repeating my messages.

The devs worked RELENTLESSLY patching the game for 10 days?

To the point where pirates on Piratebay stopped pushing new cracked builds because they couldn't keep up with our pace of patching.

That was another learning - convience wins over a price over $0.

We followed up with fucking masterpiece months later
(Magicka Vietnam)

just look at this trailer: Magicka Vietnam trailer

meeeemoriiiieeees

A friend asked me how important the success was for Paradox future success? Incredibly - why? multiple reasons

1: It sold faster than any other PDX title - it showed us that if you hit, you can really take off. It made PDX a bit bolder
2: It generated crazy amounts of profit - to which helped us invest more in CK2, Stellaris, Cities: skylines. they were helped tremendously by the stability and $$ Magicka generated
3: It put PDX on the mainstream map in a different way - not only in the eyes of other developers ("indie" was becoming a thing) but also with the bigger developers and most notably the big 1st parties. Suddenly Microsoft wanted to talk !
4: Magicka let us really test the waters with DLC. PDX had done 1-2 big expansions per year. Now we really started churning out stuff big and small. And it worked! "if you build it they will come"
which then allowed PDX to perfect that business model (the best in the premium biz) for Ck2, Stellaris, Cities etc.
5: Magicka was incredibly broken - but sold well - because it did the most important thing (fun gameplay) incredibly, incredibly well. Good learning that we didn't quite actually fully learn until way later.
6: I think Magicka also emboldened PDX to be really creative with marketing.

there are probably 100 other things - but I'll save it for a GDC talk or something.
Magicka was also "a near miss" - many learnings were lost on us and led us to make tons of mistakes. 2014 was a tough fucking year - because of our lack of ability to learn from Magicka.
thats the whole thread – there are a lot of points in here where you should go "thats not how you do it!" – releasing a game in a buggy state, having devs crunch to fix it, release a TON of dlc...none of those points I would view as good.
but there is one thing i agree with: magicka was fun to play!

Reason: typo
Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
C'mon, there are a lot of other p1-3 titles I'd like to see make their way to PC before MGS is one of them
Am I dumb or did the person writing the snarky tweet didn't even link to the source ?

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
By the way if you ever get the chance to play fates make sure to play all 3 versions of that game (it sucks how there are 3 versions and how Nintendo charges you $40 for 2 versions and then charges you $20 for the definitive version which is the third version and that version is DLC exclusive. So unless you have the game physically like I do with all 3 in one people in the future may likely never get a chance to play it (especially with seeing how as the years go by less and less people know how to obtain ROMs it seems)
This post reminded me that I own the Fates collector's edition which came with all 3 versions/variants on one cartridge. Very lame that you needed to buy 2 copies of the game and DLC to get the full experience, but of course that's a system Nintendo has normalized with Pokemon and somehow get no pushback on it. I couldn't remember where my copy of Fates was so I had to search for it and when I finally found it I saw that the case is sealed. That means I never played Fates even though I thought I did. Imagine how poor my memory is that I thought I had played a game that I haven't. I'm sure I played Awakening and I think I played the Fates characters in Warriors so that might be where the confusion came from (but not really, my memory is actually rubbish).

I wonder what the max concurrent player count for Hogwarts is going to be. I'm guessing at least 350k-400k given how well the preorders have been selling.
I think 350-400k is far too high an estimate. I would guess under 200k, closer to 150. I'm quite curious as to how this game is going to review... specifically I'm wondering whether reviewers let their distaste for JK Rowling influence their review scores or whether they even review the game or not.

I'll start to believe it when I have MGS4 booted up on my Deck, played through the entirety of it and see the credits roll.
I know you're not serious with this post but there isn't a chance in hell MGS4 is getting ported. The best case has to be a port of the MGS HD collection that came out on Vita and I think PS3. The laziest outcome would be just putting MGS 1 and 2 on Steam (they are already on GOG).

thats the whole thread – there are a lot of points in here where you should should "thats not how you do it!" – releasing a game in a buggy state, having devs crunch to fix it, release a TON of dlc...none of those points I would view as good.
but there is one thing i agree with: magicka was fun to play!
I remember playing Magicka right when it released, and yes it was broken as fuck. It was also really hard. It was tuned for co-op gameplay and the difficulty didn't scale down if you were playing it alone, which I was. I remember I had stumbled upon some completely broken spell combo and I had to use that to get through many parts of the game including the boss fights. It was a fun game for sure.

Although, to see him talk about their system of releasing 60 DLCs for a game and saying that they have perfected the best business model in premium gaming is just 🤮

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I remember playing Magicka right when it released, and yes it was broken as fuck. It was also really hard. It was tuned for co-op gameplay and the difficulty didn't scale down if you were playing it alone, which I was. I remember I had stumbled upon some completely broken spell combo and I had to use that to get through many parts of the game including the boss fights. It was a fun game for sure.

Although, to see him talk about their system of releasing 60 DLCs for a game and saying that they have perfected the best business model in premium gaming is just 🤮
oh yeah... man, i had forgotten about that, it was way too hard for solo play but that one spell made everything trivial.

and yep, thats what i mean, it struck me as irksome, to say the least. Paradox is one of the worst when it comes to DLC, sad to see they see that as a good thing.
I checked the Magicka store page, they got a total of 24 DLCs for that game, but I think other Paradox games are even worse (your "60" number might not be far off for some)

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
My inner child is working me to buy a PS5.
My rational adult says it's stupid, there are a handful of exclusives each year, and this stupid shit is not back compat with early Playstation.
My inner child says fuck you, I loved those console days.
My rational adult answers that they are gone.

I'm a little depressed.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
My rational adult says it's stupid, there are a handful of exclusives each year, and this stupid shit is not back compat with early Playstation.

I'm a little depressed.
My advice would be that if your PC is beefy enough, just resist the temptation. I had the same dilemma when the consoles came out, bought both and now I barely use them, not because they're bad or anything, but I just can't find the time for them.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

I'm a little depressed.
Buy a Steam Deck. If you already have one, buy a second one.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I checked the Magicka store page, they got a total of 24 DLCs for that game, but I think other Paradox games are even worse (your "60" number might not be far off for some)
60 isn't a made up number. Crusader Kings 2 currently has about 30 listed DLCs but...

These 4 packs are bundles that combine 40 DLCs that used to be sold individually. There used to be well over 60 DLCs for the game before they whittled it down by making these packs.

• Disapproval
  • Blobxorcism
Reactions: inky and LEANIJA

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Idle Thumbs died for this?

It's Konami, it's gonna be the raw PS1 versions running in some bootleg emulator
I mean MGS1 and 2 have PC ports, 1 is still on gog (2 was removed due to licensing), so it's probably those, but that isn't to say theyre the most up to date ports. Konami will shit out whatever version of the code they have and let fans fix them up.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Buy a Steam Deck. If you already have one, buy a second one.
For older console gaming it’s pretty neat. I’m playing Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon NDS on it right now.
It would certainly be better if the Deck UI was even nearly stable and the emulators were coherently hotkeyed Instead of each one looking like an headless chicken running in the opposite direction. 1tb sku would be better too.
But yeah, I can see the thing as a retro console replacement.

Not really what I’m looking for, but I’m not sure what the fuck I’m looking for and if it even exists anymore. Certainly not a windows or even linux OS without the second coming of the ten-foot UI, though.

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Ps5 is currently not worth it with so many games coming to PC anyways. Haven't touched mine since Ragnarok. Still have 13 Sentinels installed (but that's on Switch too) and will be buying Where the Heart Leads in the future since everything points to the PC version being cancelled due to the Meta acquisition.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
God, I want MGS2 and 3 on Steam so bad. I've been itching to replay them really badly for a few years now. Shit, at this point I'd gladly take Twin Snakes if that's what it has to be. I'm assuming PS3 means the HD Remasters and not MGS4, though. As much as I'd love for MGS4 to get out of PS3 jail, I'm not getting my hopes up that they bothered to untangle that fucking mess.

Also, unrelated but I swear to God if S-E doesn't release the new Theatrhythm game on PC I'm gonna lose it...

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
God, I want MGS2 and 3 on Steam so bad. I've been itching to replay them really badly for a few years now. Shit, at this point I'd gladly take Twin Snakes if that's what it has to be. I'm assuming PS3 means the HD Remasters and not MGS4, though. As much as I'd love for MGS4 to get out of PS3 jail, I'm not getting my hopes up that they bothered to untangle that fucking mess.
Platforms were entirely speculation. There’s no word that a PS1, 2 or 3 game is coming, just that some MGS ports are on the way.

If I were a betting man I’d say it’s 1-3.

Regardless, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for MGS4.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If Konami does decide to remake any of the old MGS games they better use the Hayter audio tracks. I can't even begin to imagine the community backlash if they get some new voice actor(s) for a remake. Shit will be wrong on so many levels. I don't think Konami is prepared for it and it would be very hype deflating if they decide to do something stupid.

I honestly don't want a remake or reboot. Just bundle the Legacy collection and bring it to Steam. If you can't include MGS4 then at least do the 360 collection. It should be an easy port job for modern platforms.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Or, alternatively, a lot of games to just drop on the EGS and then forget about.
I don’t think Epic are paying for games anymore, so I don’t think S-E will bother with EGS if no cheque is attached.

See: all the S-E games on Steam that Epic didn’t moneyhat.

I know people keep citing Kingdom Hearts, but that seems to be an outlier at this point. They’re clearly either tied down by some longer term deal, or they’re going to treat the Steam release as a big deal and release it to some fanfare at an event or stream.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.