Community MetaSteam | January 2024 - Let's get this year started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
This is what i finished last year XD Entries with letter D at the end are ones i finished on Deck.

• SACKBOY A BIG ADVENTURE (09.01.)D
  • MASS EFFECT 2 (19.01.)D
  • GOTHAM KNIGHTS (27.01.)
  • HI-FI RUSH (03.02.)D
  • HITMAN 2 (05.02.)
  • RAJI AN ANCIENT EPIC (02.03.)D
  • SUPRALAND SIX INCHES UNDER (12.03.)D
  • TREK TO YOMI (25.03.)D
  • HADES (25.04.)D
  • THE LAST OF US PART 1 (21.05.)
    • LEFT BEHIND (24.12.)​
  • L.A. NOIRE (04.06.)D
  • CONTROL DLCs (06.06.)
  • SPIDER-MAN DLCs (11.06.)
  • MASS EFFECT 3 (02.07.)D
  • PRINCE OF PERSIA SANDS OF TIME (05.07)D
  • PRINCE OF PERSIA WARRIOR WITHIN (30.07)D
  • CRASH BANDICOOT 3 (13.08.)D
  • UNCHARTED LOST LEGACY (20.08.)
  • DEATH’S DOOR (27.08.)D
  • JEDI SURVIVOR (10.09.)
  • NIER AUTOMATA 1ST TIME (23.09.)D
  • BITTRIP RERUNNER (30.09.)D
  • HOGWARTS LEGACY (22.10.)
  • EVIL WEST (29.10.)
  • PRINCE OF PERSIA TWO THRONES (12.11.)D
  • THE TALOS PRINCIPLE 2 (17.12.)
  • COD BLACK OPS 3 (23.12.)D

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Insomnia, fiddling with Magpie in order to get scanlines on PC games. Weirdness ensues.
So yeah, bear in mind that I'm not a monitor expert, but when you tell me scanlines on a console emulator I see a neat grid, so to speak.

And here's what Magpie gives me on PC with, uh... Lottes, I think.

The fuck is this strange pixel grid ? Is it normal and perfectly emulate a PC monitor and I'm dumb ?

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Insomnia, fiddling with Magpie in order to get scanlines on PC games. Weirdness ensues.
So yeah, bear in mind that I'm not a monitor expert, but when you tell me scanlines on a console emulator I see a neat grid, so to speak.

The fuck is this strange pixel grid ? Is it normal and perfectly emulate a PC monitor and I'm dumb ?
Yes, that's normal for the shader.
It's called a slot mask

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland

Insomnia at 3 o'clock in the afternoon? I thought you lived in France!

With that said, the shader you've picked looks like subpixels on a LCD monitor (because it looks like there are both square and rectangular subpixels... I think CRTs are uniform... I think.)... If that's supposed to be CRT, maybe it's a multipass shader and one pass is not functioning properly? Often those types of shader look kinda blurry/glowy to approximate what happens when the electron beam sweeps across the screen...

I don't know. If you give us the exact name of the shader and the settings you've used, I'm pretty sure somebody can help you out!

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Insomnia at 3 o'clock in the afternoon? I thought you lived in France!

With that said, the shader you've picked looks like subpixels on a LCD monitor (because it looks like there are both square and rectangular subpixels... I think CRTs are uniform... I think.)... If that's supposed to be CRT, maybe it's a multipass shader and one pass is not functioning properly? Often those types of shader look kinda blurry/glowy to approximate what happens when the electron beam sweeps across the screen...

I don't know. If you give us the exact name of the shader and the settings you've used, I'm pretty sure somebody can help you out!
The insomnia was yesterday :drinking-blob:
Though, well, I got up at 2pm due to that, so the day is effectively pretty nuked. I will edit / reply with more details about the shader thing. Got to put on some clothes. At 16:12 :anguished-face:

I have a lot of work to do this January, but I still plan to play the new Momodora as soon as it releases.
Being perpetually late I'm tempted to play Reverie :sweaty-blob:
Ok, CRT shaders.

• I'm not an IQ or monitor expert.
  • I don't even remember that much how monitors and TV looked back then.
  • But the FF9 mage character comparison makes sense to me, I can't get my hands back on the screenshot, but a crt shader helps with contrast, his eyes looks brighter, their color set apart from the rest of the head by the scanlines.

I'm basically looking for this effect in every older game. In retroarch, using CRT-Easymode feels good enough. But in the new to me Magpie even the same easymode doesn't give me the same result, or so it feels.

AGAIN, I don't want curvature, I don't want an artificially deteriorated picture, just fucking scanlines that will help pixel separation.

But maybe I'm stupid, probably even, and maybe easymode is not a good representation of what a TV looked like, or maybe Monitors didn't look like TV at all !

So yeah, I'm snobbish with something I don't understand, but hey.

• Which CRT Shader would you advise to use for console emulation ?
  • Which CRT Shader would you advise to use for old PC games ?

-

About the Lottes included in Magpie, I will post a screenshot of the vanilla values.

I could do the same for Magpie Easymode, but if memory serves the effect is basically the same, less pronounced.

That screenshot uses Lottes and looks in line with what I expected.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Massive difference. Wow. The one on the left looks way more high-res with tons of depth.
Yeah, as I said I'm in no way knowledgeable on the topic, but this seems a little too good to be true.

• Comfy
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
What game is that

--

Happy New Year
Pretty certain it's an enemy or invocation from one the 25,874 Final Fantasy on SNES.

Google tells me it's FF6, the character is 'Siren'.

Reactions: lashman

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Li Kao : I downloaded Magpie and fiddled around with it.

I'm no expert and I had never used magpie before... but it seems like the post-fx shaders are applied after the image has been upscaled. So, maybe the effectiveness of the shader depends on the internal resolution? Try to set the game to windowed + something disgusting like 640x480 and then enable the upscaler+shader.

Edit: nah, that's complete nonsense. I've tried it and the shader looks the same.

• Hug

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Li Kao : I downloaded Magpie and fiddled around with it.

I'm no expert and I had never used magpie before... but it seems like the post-fx shaders are applied after the image has been upscaled. So, maybe the effectiveness of the shader depends on the internal resolution? Try to set the game to windowed + something disgusting like 640x480 and then enable the upscaler+shader.
Lol, I re-downloaded Fallout only to find out it was already 640x480

Would be cool to begin by understanding why the slot mask (?) is this way whereas it is completely different in the Momodora shot I posted earlier.
I have a suspicion I need to educate myself on the finer workings of cathodic displays. But I just wanted nice scanlines, not do a thesis on subpixel rendering or something :anguished-face:

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Lol, I re-downloaded Fallout only to find out it was already 640x480

Would be cool to begin by understanding why the slot mask (?) is this way whereas it is completely different in the Momodora shot I posted earlier.
I have a suspicion I need to educate myself on the finer workings of cathodic displays. But I just wanted nice scanlines, not do a thesis on subpixel rendering or something :anguished-face:
Well, thankfully you don't need to understand what I said because it was a (very wrong) hypothesis :notlikethisblob:

As far as I understand it, the shadow mask value is how visible you want the pattern of dots/squares to be...

Other than that, I'd suggest you read the page mentioned by Knurek !

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Other than that, I'd suggest you read the page mentioned by Knurek !
My brain turn to jelly a couple lines in, unfortunately.
That being said, looks like the shadow mask is a common thing for monitors, so I suppose, as Knurek said the CRT-Lottes shader works as intended and monitors looked that way (?).

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
My brain turn to jelly a couple lines in, unfortunately.
That being said, looks like the shadow mask is a common thing for monitors, so I suppose, as Knurek said the CRT-Lottes shader works as intended and monitors looked that way (?).
I found one video that compares various CRT shaders to an actual 14" CRT monitor.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I found one video that compares various CRT shaders to an actual 14" CRT monitor.
Looks like CRT-Royale is the most faithful. Unfortunately, due to technical reasons, it's not supported by Magpie.
Not great on color accuracy though, but maybe it's the game.

Thought and prayer for the poor people that use CRT-Royale NTSC :anguished-face:

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
YAKUZA 8 MONTH LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My best friend is currently playing Nier, and I do like how he does agree with me that A2 is more interesting that 2B (and yeah yeah I know about the stuff that happens later) but I do like how we did come to the same conclusion though.

Since it's my birthday today we ended up watching Evangelion 1.1 (I'm not sure if that makes @Hektor happy of mad) and he liked it. I also told him that if Eva tolk place in the US, that Shenji gives off school shooter vibes. (oh Full Metal Jacket...) By the way I do like Eva 2.2 more than 1.1
Well then happy belated birthday.

Anyways, the remakes are great as their own thing, especially cuz they give Asuka more screentime uwu

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I bought The Talos Principle 2 in the sale, and the wild thing is that I've almost completed it. I think I might be getting slightly better about actually playing the games I buy.

Also, I posted this in the prior thread, but that was shortly before the new one, so if anyone hasn't seen it, and is interested in what raytracing can do for single-screen multiplayer, here it is again:
(and the blog comment/reaction thing works again now; the wonders of webapps)

Status
Not open for further replies.