Community MetaSteam | July 2019 - Racing Towards Empty Wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Aw, what? I just finished Prey and thought it was fantastic. In fact I'm convinced Arkane could pull off Half-Life 3 after playing it.

It kind of sounds like you dropped it really early. If that's the case I beg you to stick with it, the game really does have more to offer than what you're describing. But I would recommend not playing it like one of those traditional FPS action shooters because it's not one of them. There is only 2 actual guns in Prey, and you can make it through the game without even using them. Enemy variety also opens up, there is a lot more than just mimics and phantoms to deal with.

Have you unlocked the typhon skill tree yet? There is a lot of powers to play with beyond just hacking and lifting things. The game really shines when you start getting creative. In combat and exploration both. I don't think you have to hack anything to make it through the game. I snuck into so many places just using the glue gun and turning myself into an apple or something to make into those tight spaces.

I really enjoyed my time with Prey. The atmosphere is stellar. the story is on point, with Avellone onboard, it's got the twists and turns you would expect it to. A ton of freedom to play the way you want, you can really get creative. I was like halfway through the game before I realized I could turn myself into fruit.
I reached the arboretum which is like... I don't know, 50%?
And yeah, I got typhon powers. I knew about the transformation power, that was a big deal during the promotion of the game.
And... for me that's a problem too. Everything that you unlock is either more "you can do what you want! To reach the exact same goal 5 meters away, you can hack, brute force it, transform into a cup, glue gun it".
Cool, you have multiple ways to complete your objective. Less cool, it's factually the same result with a different animation.

Or you get new combat abilities. Which are more powerful than the complete garbage weapons, but not in any way more fun, like the grenades. The ennemies are braindead, and they are absurdly samey. You can't just slap a fire modifier on a phantom and call that different, that's Borderlands level of wank.
The sound design for the combat, the AI, the hitboxes (to be fair, it makes sense that mimic bodies are wriggling around but...)... the gameplay is just terrible. Getting more options (you can grenade or explode from your body! Big difference. Again, like before for exploration, you get a lot of options that ultimately do the same thing) that feel just as slow and clunky with zero variety to apply them on, it does not make for very engaging content.

I do enjoy the story and the atmosphere, but it falters in the gameplay department: you don't approach the game in a different way like using air vents, you just blow up the door, or hack it, or sneak through the convenient cup sized opening at eye level.
It feels super gamey, and utterly artificial.
Add to that bad and repetitive combat (dumping 10+ enemies in some rooms doesn't helps either), and it's just a bore. Especially considering how the "loot" is bland as fuck with a broken ass crafting system. more neuromods to unlock rooms giving more neuromods, or the trash chipsets that are actually RNG? Yeesh.

I just feel like the "immersive sim" has not evolved one bit in 20 years.
Arguably, it has degenerated, the new Deus Ex games were just terrible... and we're way past the time were "but the story" is enough to justify a game.

Reactions: xinek and SRossi

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Uh, seems like I finally found new job. If I'm going to succeed with the internship I'll be back to the land of the living, meaning I'll be able to buy Yakuza Kiwami.

Edit: Damn, first time I hear about KyoAni arson. RIP victims. Who the hell can have a grudge against animation studio?
Congratulation on your new job!

Last I read it was 33 lost their lives :(
Stop hating anime!

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I've got enough gems for a booster pack, but I'd like to know which booster pack is best to create for a good amount.
Check your newest games and see if any of them have cards with good value, as it's generally best to craft boosters for new and popular games.
But looking at the price of the gems, I'd just hold on to them and wait to see how high they can get.

Otherwise, if you have Sekiro, you can craft 2 boosters with 1.000 gems. All normal cards will net you 0,06€ (as they sell for 0,08€), so in total you'll get 0,36€ with 1.000 gems.
I think this is still among the best value.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I guess some of the SDCC gameplay footage of Avengers leaked

Why did Thor murder all those people? There's no way the guy he launched a thousand feet away survived and I doubt the others he slammed to the ground with his hammer did either.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Why did Thor murder all those people? There's no way the guy he launched a thousand feet away survived and I doubt the others he slammed to the ground with his hammer did either.
I think the Marvel movies have clearly abandoned the "thou shalt not kill" commandment of earlier comic book adaptations. They don't usually kill people though, just space aliens. Of course, maybe it's just creative license by Eidos, to fit the equivalent rule in video games : "Thou shall kill anything and everything that moves"

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Is anyone using the wireless adapter for the Xbox One controller on Windows 10? My adapter is getting really hot after a while, resulting in disconnects and even a slight burn smell :(

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is anyone using the wireless adapter for the Xbox One controller on Windows 10? My adapter is getting really hot after a while, resulting in disconnects and even a slight burn smell :(
yeah, but i'm using the original one ... the big one ... no such problems here

maybe try plugging it into a different USB port?

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I think I'm gonna watch all the SAO anime while I marathon the games, I have no previous experience with the franchise, if I like it I have seen that the light novels are also published in the west so I might purchase those as well.

Reactions: 「Echo」

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
well the devs said its geting delisted because devs plan to remaster them and selfpublish :thinking-blob: i think i will rather wait , no need to rush to buy soon to be inferior versions
There's a chance the Dev will give the new version for free to previous owners tho

Reactions: Tizoc

Deleted member 113

Regarding those Platine Dispositif games that Rockin' Android published, getting the older versions (if you don't own them already) may be of interest to some.

The developer will apparently publish remastered versions of the games, with some improvements and polish done for some console ports, I believe.
But, in some of these games Rockin' Android made a few changes, or added a few things (like arranged soundtracks) that most likely won't be part of the new versions.

So, it may be worth it to get the older versions.

By the way, the games are now on sale:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I think I'm gonna watch all the SAO anime while I marathon the games, I have no previous experience with the franchise, if I like it I have seen that the light novels are also published in the west so I might purchase those as well.
Whoa slow down a little there :drinking-blob:
Your anticipated dedication is nice and let me assure you I'm not a hater, but SAO is the definition of mediocre and forgettable.
Which again doesn't mean you are not allowed to like it, but just keep expectations in check.

Reactions: MJunioR

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Booting up Alternate Jake Hunter to wind down my night for a quick session ... and no resolution list to choose from. Not even a vsync option.

Exited the game, looked into the game directory and it's using Unity engine. Looks like there's some tinkering to be done.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Booting up Alternate Jake Hunter to wind down my night for a quick session ... and no resolution list to choose from. Not even a vsync option.

Exited the game, looked into the game directory and it's using Unity engine. Looks like there's some tinkering to be done.
i hate when that happens ... ugh

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Game auto stretches to desktop resolution for me.
Yeah, it's 1280x720 1920x1080 in its original resolution and stretched to native desktop resolution. Using -window-mode exclusive flag locks the input for me, somehow.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hmh I'm getting scared that Apple is killing gaming on Mac, how cheaply could one build a capable gaming pc? Maybe better to just get a cheap gaming laptop? They seem quite good these days and the portability is a huge plus.

Reactions: lashman

Bonney

old and bad
Apr 17, 2019
I just finished downloading Mooncrash.

Gonna check it out in a bit here.

I kind of want to try out a survival/stealth run. Maybe even put it on Nightmare.

Reactions: Echoes and Milena
Status
Not open for further replies.