Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
shoutout to Horizon Queen for finding this

Gamespot - Nioh 2 article

how the hell did noone really noticed this?
I noticed this in february, I just didn't bother posting about it.

No Im serious, I did read it, I was looking for Nioh 2 PC news and came over that article in february this year.

I thought it was just some "hope" from the one that wrote the article and didn't take it as some hard confirmation, so I didn't bother mentioning it.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I noticed this in february, I just didn't bother posting about it.

No Im serious, I did read it, I was looking for Nioh 2 PC news and came over that article in february this year.

I thought it was just some "hope" from the one that wrote the article and didn't take it as some hard confirmation, so I didn't bother mentioning it.
In fact, it's the same 8 month period of time as the first one.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I hope its early Nov for Nioh 2 so it doesn't compete with Cyberpunk.

An October release would be even better.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Fuck git gud, I summoned someone and beat Ornstein and Smough. Hours of frustration ain't worth playing 'properly'. Does Sekiro have dumb difficulty spikes as this one?
Yup but fortunately many of them are optional. Purple Ninja and Drunk J-something made the following half of the game look like a joke. But Sekiro was clearly the hardest game of theirs I'd ever played, to the point where I used cheats for the final boss because fuck having to do two phases over and over before getting to even begin to learn the real part of the fight.

Incidentally, I think this is going to be my last From game unless they stop conflating hard with tedious.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The fucked up thing about Sekiro's difficulty curve is that it is difficult in the beginning, middle and end.

Its something the other Soulsborne games didn't dare do.

DS1 and Bloodborne were really hard in the start...then became easier towards the end imo.

DS2 and Demons Souls were hard/punishing depending on which directions/path you took.

DS3 is really the only game with a normal difficulty curve. Its easy at the start...then gets a bit tough in the middle...and then hard as shit near the end/dlc.

Its why I recommend anyone new to FROM games to always start with DS3.

Reactions: QFNS and ISee

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Yeah Sekiro is rock hard throughout, and I think Isshin is a serious contender for From’s hardest boss
Yakuza Like a Dragon is pretty heavily connected to previous games and spoils parts of previous titles pretty flat out. SEGA really should port 3-6 because people are gonna spoil those titles if they skip from 2 to 7.
oh fuck 😕

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I have no interest in Sekiro due to the difficulty that surrounds the game. Just not my bag. I really enjoy the Souls games but thats because i can summon for help and they dont seem to need as much quick reactions as Sekiro. (or Bloodborne, didnt really enjoy Bloodbornes combat either!)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I never trusted professional reviewers (especially for Niche genres) after they trashed the X Franchise (X Beyond the Frontier) in the 2000's
More often than not they review a game based on the appeal to the mainstream and not the gameplay itself or the expectations of the fans.

That's why Steam Reviews are so much superior. People who buy the game will review it, you will know that a game who has over a 90% score that it is exactly what fans are looking for. it depends on your OWN tastes and your own knowledge if that game is for you or not.
I also don't buy a game just because it has a >90% score if I don't like the genre or know that it isn't for me.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yup but fortunately many of them are optional. Purple Ninja and Drunk J-something made the following half of the game look like a joke. But Sekiro was clearly the hardest game of theirs I'd ever played, to the point where I used cheats for the final boss because fuck having to do two phases over and over before getting to even begin to learn the real part of the fight.

Incidentally, I think this is going to be my last From game unless they stop conflating hard with tedious.
You are a better player than me then. I gave up at the middle point (?), the first climactic boss battle. It's a shame because Sekiro combat is so good, but I have my limits. And thinking about the fucking plague growing with each death was the cherry on top.
I know I should swallow my pride and cheat :anguished-face:

• Love
Reactions: xinek and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
You are a better player than me then. I gave up at the middle point (?), the first climactic boss battle. It's a shame because Sekiro combat is so good, but I have my limits. And thinking about the fucking plague growing with each death was the cherry on top.
I know I should swallow my pride and cheat :anguished-face:
That's really too kind of you to say, it was just sheer obstinacy coupled with a love of the game's world and taking long, extended breaks.

Also I played with cheats disabling dragonrot because, seriously, fuck a mechanic punishing you for dying in a game where you learn by dying. I don't have much gaming pride to begin with and I know a seriously bullshit mechanic when I see one :p.

That mod also made the kb&m camera controls actually bearable, so there's that too. I'd say a large part of the game is worth seeing but the combat really got on my nerves after a while. In my opinion, every fight not relying on or nullifying the parry mechanics was straight-up tedious and inferior to every other.

You do get moments of feeling awesome, when you start hearing the ryhtym in the blows, knowing the opponent and suddenly exchanging strikes masterfully. Everything that deviated from that was From going through the motions of their old games in my opinion, and none of them were enjoyable in the least.

I really don't think you should hesitate about cheating. This game's world is worth the trip. The difficulty is deeply based on tedium and crap mechanics more often than not : having to redo multiple phases, bosses that are damage sponges before you get to the real part and such... Yeah. I wouldn't have too many qualms there. And at the end of the day, you already know this but it's your own time, and your own experience. Who's to judge you when you are having fun? You don't need a designer or a community to validate you, especially when the later veers in slightly unhealthy directions.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I have no interest in Sekiro due to the difficulty that surrounds the game. Just not my bag. I really enjoy the Souls games but thats because i can summon for help and they dont seem to need as much quick reactions as Sekiro. (or Bloodborne, didnt really enjoy Bloodbornes combat either!)
The thing with Sekiro is that it is doable. The game wants you to practice until everything becomes second nature and asks the player to run into countless walls, but doesn't provide enough motivation to do so in the long run.
DeS and DaS motivates the player with XP, different weapons, upgrades and armors. It allows for different play styles, with magic, slow, fast, blocking with shields, Sekiro only allows you to play one way, there is no fashion souls, no XP and upgrades are set in stone.

Sekiro is faster, more acrobatic and it is poetry when executed properly. And yet it feels restrictive and repetitive at the same time. I get why some people like it. Personally, From software left me behind. Getting good is one thing, mastering a game is not something I'm willing to invest time into.

Parcel delivered !
Now to see if it is delivered or DELIVERED, know what I mean :sweaty-blob:

:insert delivery meme:
So... Did it arrive or not?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So... Did it arrive or not?
Yup, it is just waiting for me to find the time and courage :sweaty-blob:
I didn't open it yet but I'm not too worried, the package seemed perfectly fine.

A huge thank you again ! I think the semi-conscious plan was to buy the new case then do the whole thing, but I'm not sure I will be able to wait.
Yeah, I'm terrified and impatient :tightly-closed-eyes:

Even more impatient because due to the wait for the package and not feeling too great for the last few days, I delayed my AC Origins and Death Stranding playthroughs.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
What people call hard, I call mostly tedious.
That's what she said... 🤣 😆

No need to ban me, I see myself out on my own.

A huge thank you again ! I think the semi-conscious plan was to buy the new case then do the whole thing, but I'm not sure I will be able to wait.
Yeah, I'm terrified and impatient
You're welcome.
The thing will help out, with or without a new case.

So wondering what is a decent/better screenshot tool? I have steam take PNG copies but it doesn't use those to upload. The PNG ones are okay as well.
I'm using MSI Afterburner.

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Li Kao

There is a trick to mount the wraith spire easily. It has a plastic lever on one side. You have to make sure that the lever is in this position. This allows for the silver latch to move freely.

But you start with the other side:

The plastic lever is just there to lock both sides and the latches won't move enough if it is on "lock" position.

I've just watched a tutorial where the person is having the plastic lever on lock position and than fights for an eternity. Some people are even using a screwdriver to do it. Which isn't necessary and dangerous.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So SC Alpha 3.10 is on the PTU and, for anyone who cares, flight has never been as broken. IFCS bugs, stuck throttle, oversteering and stability issues due to overzealous jerk curves, it's a complete technical crapshoot.

Flying also has never looked so good regardless. I'm hugely hopeful and hoping the usual toxic dinks won't jinx it for the rest of us :p.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
The thing with Sekiro is that it is doable. The game wants you to practice until everything becomes second nature and asks the player to run into countless walls, but doesn't provide enough motivation to do so in the long run.
DeS and DaS motivates the player with XP, different weapons, upgrades and armors. It allows for different play styles, with magic, slow, fast, blocking with shields, Sekiro only allows you to play one way, there is no fashion souls, no XP and upgrades are set in stone.

Sekiro is faster, more acrobatic and it is poetry when executed properly. And yet it feels restrictive and repetitive at the same time. I get why some people like it. Personally, From software left me behind. Getting good is one thing, mastering a game is not something I'm willing to invest time into.
I agree with everything you said here, and it's exactly the reason why I'll probably never buy Sekiro.

No motivation for me, no motivation to buy.

Reactions: Swenhir and ISee

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Aug 20

----
By the way I don't think I have ever beat this game but I think I would like to try to. Sadly while [UWSL]I still ha still own the game I no longer have the bongos. [/UWSL]

[UWSL][/UWSL]
played this on Humble Bundle, nice little walking sim

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Same. Never touching it. No only is life too short and my frustration tolerance extremely taxed day to day as it is but the fucking obnoxious fan base surrounding 'From Software' games has turned me off for good. If 'From Software' is on the label, all I think about are toxic shitty fanbois.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Remember when everyone was rooting for Ubisoft and wanted them saved from vivendi? Good Times.
We can be against the market shrinking to a smaller number of mega publishers and still think ubisoft is a terrible company for how it handled this situation. There's no reason to believe Vivendi would have shut this down any more than Ubisoft itself had.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
We can be against the market shrinking to a smaller number of mega publishers and still think ubisoft is a terrible company for how it handled this situation. There's no reason to believe Vivendi would have shut this down any more than Ubisoft itself had.
Ah yes you are right, I was mostly just thinking about how simple it was then when that was the only thing to worry about.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Looks like Sea of Thieves sold over 1 million copies on Steam (via official PR post)

Last month – June 2020 – was also the biggest month so far for Sea of Thieves in terms of active players, with more than 3.3M players setting sail. A contributing factor to this growth has been our recent launch on Steam. We’ve been blown away by the support we’ve seen from the Steam community, with over 1M copies of the game having been sold so far and the game regularly appearing in the top selling and most played games charts.

And it's true, the game since release has been topping the Global top 10 seller and having a regular and stable population since then, no wonder why the shifting strategy to bring more games to PC/Steam.

Brutal. and in case you wonder, for the first time in a very long time Insight was not correct, it had way less copies than in reality but make no mistake, this is just an exception to the rule, LittleDinamit's service is accurate as hell. :partyblob::partyblob::partyblob:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Something happened, Steam sale numbers are on fire. 1 million for a game that is included with Game Pass, permanently?
I've never been more proud at the PC gaming community.
They somehow managed to show the biggest middle finger possible to everybody thinking exclusivity is good or subsciption services the only possible future.

'From Software' games has turned me off for good.
Even Bloodborne? ON PC?

Nah, I'm just kidding. :face-throwing-a-kiss:

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Sea of Thieves sold 1 mill on with full price on Steam?

After having been on game pass since forever? After having been on tons of 50% sales on Windows Store?

Holy fuck.

Mor I told you PlayTracker's Sea of Thieves numbers didn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Mor I told you PlayTracker's Sea of Thieves numbers didn't make sense to me.
And you were right, seems like some bug or an anomaly, we compared a group of games with official numbers and all were correct within a 90% so we thought SoT was too but yeah, a fix will come :triggerblob:

Sea of Thieves sold 1 mill on with full priceSteam?
Yup yup yup

Something happened, Steam sale numbers are on fire. 1 million for a game that is included with Game Pass, permanently?
I've never been more proud at the PC gaming community.
They somehow managed to show the biggest middle finger possible to everybody thinking exclusivity is good or subsciption services the only possible future.
Yes, Steam has been doing some massive numbers in both 2019 and 2020 in terms of games, not the first case we see succeeding like crazy and won't be the last (Death Stranding? HZD? we will see 👀)

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Ah yes you are right, I was mostly just thinking about how simple it was then when that was the only thing to worry about.
I re-read your comment, and see now you were merely pining for the simpler, early 2000's. My apologies for going all in like that.
Yes, battles among our gaming corporate overlords. Good times 🍻

Reactions: Le Pertti and ISee

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Now that SMT Nocturne is being remastered for Switch, I wonder if it will be coming to other platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.