Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Probably preparing for the next games.
I bet they really needed money to fund their next game which was going to be most probably KF3. That's the only reason I can think of for such change. So, in the end it might lead to be an Epic exclusive.
Also, the game was free on Epic recently so they should have got some player base there I assume.
Was it one of the requirements from Epic to move to Epic api? Or was it to make it easier to migrate KF2 players to KF3?

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
What year is this, people talking about patches for worms Armageddon and farcry haha.

Pc really is the timeless platform , so good that you only needed one generation.
Where does one even buy Worms Armageddon anyway?
Also, individual patches and updates > dd

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Finished RDR2 a few days ago. Something that surprised me is I remember how many people reported issues around the launch window, with crashes and stuff, but for anyone on the fence, I didn't have a single issue of the sort in more than 100 hours playtime. Maybe I was just lucky. Had a hard time maintaining 60fps with DFs optimized settings tho, but my PC is a few years old.

RDR1 was my GOTG together with Mass Effect 1 at the time. From this I wouldn't blame you if you assumed I prefer "story" over "mechanics", or at least thinking I'm able to make some concessions in the latter department if the former is done well, but to be frank, that's not exactly right. I'm not oblivious to some of the issues ME1, RDR1 and now RDR2 have in the gameplay department. The shooting, movement, inventory management, etc. and many others I'm too lazy too list are there. They don't bother me all the time, but they can be frustrating to me just like to anyone else. But in general, it's not "the story" that draws me into these games either, but the vision of the world, and seeing them ambitiously, partly or fully realized on screen.

When it comes to RDR2, my favorite things are probably the most boring to most people. I'm the kind of person to jump down from my horse and lead it on foot through a town. To stalk animals and hunt (I despise hunting irl) even without the reward of an outfit, or how not challenging in general it is as a gameplay mechanic. Just like in Mass Effect 1 my favorite moments happened on empty planets with massive sky boxes and the wind whirring through your suit with nothing actually mechanically interesting or story critical to do (a massive loss in the sequels), in RDR I enjoy the monotony of a certain type of lifestyle the games are trying to represent, but more than that, how committed they are to the simulation of it.

Or, failing that, that they simply allow me the opportunity to have a character just "exist" in them. Maybe that is why I groan so loudly at the barrage of "prestige" console games pulling me alone a story, constantly reminding me how its director wants to be the next Cormac McCarthy, how many ways they can "signal" or "disguise" the game's objective with environmental lights or yellow painted pipes, how many feelings I'm supposed to have with this perfectly choreographed sequence. I can enjoy that, but it is never a moment that exists for my benefit, where I am allowed to come at it on my own. At least it never feels like that's the point of them.

RDR2 is also filled with strictly controlled sequences, a contradictory approach to its sandbox world design, and when those moments play out wrong there, it is just as bad, believe me. No, I also don't need 3 different animations, menus, 2 unique items and 4 different key presses to drink a cup of coffee for an effect you can get without any of these things through another consumable item. Yes, it is annoying, even for someone who takes its time to set up a camp at night. No, I don't want to craft bullets and arrows one by one either. But it is these moments, when the game slows to a crawl, that allow me to enjoy it so much more and for so much longer without burning out.

I don't think the story is some sort of transcendental masterpiece in either of these games, especially in RDR2. It is emotional and well directed. Characters are memorable and very well acted, but there are way too many things that don't make sense, get stretched out for the sake of length. Dialogue tends to be redundant and there are many times when it is not even that. Characters go out of their way to say nothing in so many words, just for the benefit of the drama. It's not unique to videogames, or this videogame, but it is there. But it also kinda doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, just like it didn't matter in ME1 how many ways the universe and the narrative is derivative of better fiction. It exists in a way that it doesn't in other games, and that's what draws me so much to these janky ass, obnoxious, story based games that fill up my list of favorites. There is another spectrum of games, FTLs, Slay the Spires, Football Managers that round up that list too, but that's another story.

From the audio visual point of view, there is not much to say. It's probably the most expensive game ever made and it looks like it. For a long time I felt the music was so much better in the prequel, but I'm coming around to it after another hundred hours or so. And it's so beautiful, definitely Rockstar's crowning achievement, and probably PC's so far in a proper hardware config I'm not able to afford. I would definitely recommend this game, I've had a great time with it, even though past a certain point the side content begins to feel fruitless and the mood of the game is sour for so long, its narrative kinda defeats the other 80% of the roaming experience while you are waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Remains to be seen where it ends on my list, but it's a worthy sequel to one of my favourite games ever.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Was it one of the requirements from Epic to move to Epic api? Or was it to make it easier to migrate KF2 players to KF3?
I don't know the details, but I think one of the reason Tripwire gave for such drastic backend change was that it could let Steam users invite Epic Games users as it is described on the following quote from their official forum:
To enable ‘Steam to EGS’ invites, when loading into the main menu and attempt to create a party in-game you’ll have the option to opt-in & sign in to your EGS account. From there, the EGS friends list will be populated and you’ll be able to invite friends from EGS into your Steam party. Don’t have an EGS account? No problem, you can play with your Steam friends the same as before.
I don't think they will give an honest answer about this at this point so everything will remain as merely hypothesis but I'm fairly convinced they signed an exclusive deal with Epic to fund KF3.
Meaneater is an Epic exclusive game so I wouldn't be surprised if that path got them more money than they thought and they reevaluated their priorities for their presumable upcoming KF3 game.

Reason: typos

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Oh wow
Ever since I bought this 1440p Gsync monitor, Dark Souls felt like it wasnt running smoothly
Thought it was because of the res increase to 1440p
Turns out I had my DSfix settings all wrong
Had Internal Rendering resolution still sat at 1080 and display at 1440
Just changed internal to 1440, runs perfectly now.
OG Far Cry?
Yeah, had it retail back in the day, just got it on STEAM the other day.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Been using my gaming time today to add emulators and roms to Steam. I own these games on other devices, but I discovered that emulators has support for cheats and I feel many of the games I am interested in playing will be a lot more fun with cheats.

Like I have 3 hours of playtime in FE Awakening on 3DS, but then the difficulty ramped up and now I just keep dying. So I downloaded CITRA and FE Awakening as rom. Hopefully the cheats works.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Been using my gaming time today to add emulators and roms to Steam. I own these games on other devices, but I discovered that emulators has support for cheats and I feel many of the games I am interested in playing will be a lot more fun with cheats.

Like I have 3 hours of playtime in FE Awakening on 3DS, but then the difficulty ramped up and now I just keep dying. So I downloaded CITRA and FE Awakening as rom. Hopefully the cheats works.
Reminds me, when are we getting Retroarch on Steam?

I need more of this

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
This is the only subreddit I mess with because they're even crazier than I am with these ideas.

One major benefit of using a Steam Controller is being able to activate gyro aim only when you are aiming with the touchpad. This person figured out how to do that with a PS4 controller.

Last edited:

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, had it retail back in the day, just got it on STEAM the other day.
Tried the first Far Cry a few years back and made quite the progress in it before moving on to other games and forgetting about it. Game can be fun and it's quite the looker considering it's age but boy is it hard as nails. While I was discussing the game with my brother he shared this video with me. I'm not the biggest Dunkey fan but this video was so accurate to my experience with Far Cry that it had me in tears :face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy::face-with-tears-of-joy:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Man, I remember when Far Cry was the most mind blowing thing I could run in my PC. Good times.
FarCry 1 was my first Steam purchase ever. I even bought it at full price! (10 bucks mind you but this wasnt during a sale). I should give it another go. I remember that it suddenly became extremely hard when the aliens/monsters whatever start showing up.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Speaking of Far Cry, I recently found a youtube channel discussing the aesthetics of the games. The narrator has this certain style of speaking which is almost gonzo-like, a stream of consciousness kind of thing.

I've only watched their Far Cry 2 video so far, but it's already quite interesting.

Reactions: lashman and inky

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
The narrator has this certain style of speaking which is almost gonzo-like, a stream of consciousness kind of thing.
Ya, I'm admittedly bad at spoken English which may worsen the issue, maybe ? But I tried some youtube channels and some voices just creep me out :grimacing-face:

I've been having heaps of fun with Kingmaker. A lot of bullshit to the combat tuning but the overall feeling and experience, the way the world is just this happy place for me is absolutely wonderful. I'm already dreading finishing it someday.
Swenhir
A little late for that, as your post was made yesterday and I was first in my Marie Kondo final form and after that just plain tired, BUT !
I would hate to forget to say HOW MUCH I appreciated your post. You are a true friend :cat-heart-blob:

You can't beat MetaCouncil on an human level !

edit - Mum meets picture :
1st stage - 😱
2nd stage - can we have this as a wallpaper ?

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Piczle Cross Adventure is a really decent Picross game, especially if you manage to inject a CRT shader (the one included in the game sucks donkey balls, and is more chromatic aberration than a proper CRT simulation)

Lots of good QoL options for puzzle solving too. Highly recommended
(Do note that the game uses UE4 and defaults to 62 fps framerate, easily fixable by editing the game's INI file - didn't notice any big issues in 144 fps)

Last edited:

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Nope, I haven't. But now I kinda want to! Not going to happen unless it comes to PC of course.
I'm playing DeS with RPCS3 (locked at 30 fps) and it is great. There is a 60 FPS patch, but that has some weird things to it that I don't like (animation glitches, some sound glitches).

MGS4 seems to be running relatively stable as well now. Maybe that's an option, if you want to take a look (one day in the future).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Swenhir
A little late for that, as your post was made yesterday and I was first in my Marie Kondo final form and after that just plain tired, BUT !
I would hate to forget to say HOW MUCH I appreciated your post. You are a true friend :cat-heart-blob:

You can't beat MetaCouncil on an human level !

edit - Mum meets picture :
1st stage - 😱
2nd stage - can we have this as a wallpaper ?
Hahahaha, well I did save that cat picture for a reason. I take it it did sparkle joy :). And it was nothing, I'm just glad if you are feeling a little better :cat-heart-blob:.

Meta certainly is one of the best place I've ever stayed at! It's like that small family hotel that you never want to leave. Except it has anime all over the walls, which is fine by me.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
MGS4 seems to be running relatively stable as well now. Maybe that's an option, if you want to take a look (one day in the future).
I mean, I only played MG 1-2 and MGS 1-2, it would be ample time to marathon this shit.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and ISee

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Great ! Now I'm left wondering if I want to play it in French or US and if I should go the PS3 collection or the original releases with scanlines route.

edit - This led me to think I should do the same for Gears of War and Halo. TFW you see that Halo 5 is Xbox One exclusive :so-good-blob:

Last edited:

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Anyone know if the Life is Strange comics are worth reading?
If you liked Life is Strange 1 and Before the Storm, then yes. Art is uneven, but pleasant enough, the story takes some interesting turns and it's mostly about Max's relationships.
I'd recommend them especially if you liked the protagonists of the first 2 games, as the comics are about Max and Chloe's life after LiS and the return of Max's powers and where they'll lead both of them.

In October (if it doesn't get delayed again) they'll start the second series, which I'm really interested in.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
If you liked Life is Strange 1 and Before the Storm, then yes. Art is uneven, but pleasant enough, the story takes some interesting turns and it's mostly about Max's relationships.
I'd recommend them especially if you liked the protagonists of the first 2 games, as the comics are about Max and Chloe's life after LiS and the return of Max's powers and where they'll lead both of them.

In October (if it doesn't get delayed again) they'll start the second series, which I'm really interested in.
Nice, I love LiS 1 & BtS and saw that Amazon has a collection box set so think I'll get that

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
I'm glad Death Stranding seems to be doing well, guess the fact that the game has been out for so long on PS4 meant people knew exactly what to expect.
Haven't grabbed it myself due to some real life issues, but I did manage to play a bunch of MGS5 to fill that void (it's been on the backlog for a long time) and have to say that game is incredibly fun.

Anyways, hope everyone is staying healthy and safe, wishing you all the best.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
interesting, I always thought that if they ever mad a 3rd person mod it would end up like Deus Ex Human Revolution, aka impossible bacause of this

Given the different genre iterations Halo has gone through, I think Master Chief has always had a proper player model in-game, but 1st person never really made use of it/clipped it out

Reactions: ISee

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Thinking of buying Atelier Firis, since I found a decent deal for it (play-asia has it for ~17€, and while I haven't bought from them yet, they seem to be one of the non-shady resellers).
I know that I already have a ton of games I'm currently playing, but I really wanna play an Atelier game :blobweary:

Reactions: Cacher and Kvik

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Speaking of Death Stranding, let's say is this week's winner for the top seller list, although I don't understand why two places hehe.

Far Cry 5 was historical lowest on Steam, SoT and MCC still strong as hell, Satisfactory is selling at a very regular pace (LittleDinamit insight says it's already on 590k estimated players on Steam)

Neon Abyss enters the list in 10th position and HZD goes out of the top 10 after 2 weeks in a row at 6th and 7th place, will return the same release week and probably stay at number 1 for some time if Death Stranding is any potential indicator, in fact, LittleDinamit and I have been talking about DS and well, we made a projection of how many copies will sell this first week or so, let's say the trend is very very similar to P4G 👀👀👀

Anyway, as Always, here you have last week's top seller for comparison.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
32k concurrent players in DS. That's not bad.
I wonder how HZD will do in comparison?

Also I think maybe for the next 3 months, if I can I will be doing overtime. So working 60hours a week type of thing and if I can do that I should be very easily able to pay off my car this year. Vroom Vroom.

Also I do plan to pick up the LEGO NES when it launches and here is hoping that there are other video game sets that they plan to release in the future. Thinking back now maybe I should have gotten a PSOne mini when they were just $20USD but I didn't have money back then sadly. Also at the end of the day (not today today, but you get the idea) I think I will end up with 3 PS Vitas. I will end up getting an OG Vita for the OLED display and I will also try to pick up a JPN limited Edition Vita from Japan as well. I already have a "working" Vita but the main issue is that it has joystick drift. Otherwise it would be in pretty decent condition. Also I will end up trying to get a PSTV at some point and just get that to play all of my PS Vita games as well. I may try that next year when I don't have nearly as many expenses as I do now.

I have this issue with death stranding where the game has issues with "blending" dark and light colors and it all looks like a nasty puddle when ever it uses DOF on stuff, everything else looks nice and this mainly happens in cutscenes. Is this an issue with my monitor or the game itself?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Speaking of Death Stranding, let's say is this week's winner for the top seller list, although I don't understand why two places hehe.

Far Cry 5 was historical lowest on Steam, SoT and MCC still strong as hell, Satisfactory is selling at a very regular pace (LittleDinamit insight says it's already on 590k estimated players on Steam)

Neon Abyss enters the list in 10th position and HZD goes out of the top 10 after 2 weeks in a row at 6th and 7th place, will return the same release week and probably stay at number 1 for some time if Death Stranding is any potential indicator, in fact, LittleDinamit and I have been talking about DS and well, we made a projection of how many copies will sell this first week or so, let's say the trend is very very similar to P4G 👀👀👀

Anyway, as Always, here you have last week's top seller for comparison.
Does it have 2 places because of a SKU change? Pre-order version vs released version?

Reactions: Mor and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.