Community MetaSteam | July 2021 - Corporate Propaganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
As for Nippon, one if the criticism seem to be about the size and how it's "American sizes" things in Japan tend to be smaller for a number of reasons (look at manga, it comes form Japan and by standard they come in a small physical size but in the west manga are physically a lot larger.
I really don't think that Valve will release a smaller version of this, that would require building and designing an entirely new version of this device, and it would need to sell like crazy to justify that much investment by Valve.
Not sure there's much of an audience for this in Japan anyway. It's a PC, first and foremost.

dude

🧿🧿🧿
Jul 15, 2021
Tel Aviv-Jaffa
What do I do if I'm really desperate for a good city builder but I completely burned out on Cities: Skylines? Preferably not medieval city builders which I see popping up a lot now.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
As for Nippon, one if the criticism seem to be about the size and how it's "American sizes" things in Japan tend to be smaller for a number of reasons (look at manga, it comes form Japan and by standard they come in a small physical size but in the west manga are physically a lot larger.
Size criticism is fair but once people actually experience how powerful it is it will make sense.

Its basically 4-5x more powerful than the Switch across the board. Its like going from a PS3 in the palm of your hand to a PS4. I don't know how much that will matter to people in countries like Japan but the value + bang for buck on the hardware is pretty good.

I really don't think that Valve will release a smaller version of this, that would require building and designing an entirely new version of this device, and it would need to sell like crazy to justify that much investment by Valve.
Not sure there's much of an audience for this in Japan anyway. It's a PC, first and foremost.
Deck Lite in a couple years with 5.5 inch screen and even smaller trackpads. Believe! :sneaky:

• Evil
Reactions: Mivey and lashman

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
I think there's audience for larger sizes but I am more concerned about the weight, that thing is a brick.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Like yuraya mentioned it's just one of the critics that the system currently has. Valve is not going to make a smaller one, but we are currently in the phase where we are only now being given information about the device and hearing what peoples impression of it are. Will that mean a lot? Maybe just for some light marketing, technically Valve already did that with the FGC thing it seems and it seems that that community is interested in seeing how this thing performs with fighting games and just how easy it would actually be to set up.

I'm hoping that Valve does something like where either take suggestions (ask people what they want to see tested out on the system, which may not be a great idea since builds of games change) or they listen around and try to show people different situations. They kinda already did and assuming that they could get permission from some companies they could show it doing a lot more.

Back in 2013 when the Xbox One and PS4 came out, I was thinking of getting the Xbox One and instead I got a PC (at one point I even pre-ordered an Ouya since I wanted to try something different and luckily I cancelled that pre-order) when I was a college student being able to just buy one device to play games and do homework on would have been great and if anything I was hoping that the Xbox One would have Microsoft Office on it and that I could just attach a mouse and keyboard to it. And with Linux and the docked option you can pretty much just do that.

Ah the possibilities

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way last Black Friday I managed to get some Sony Core Speakers, I got the bookshelf speakers, and the subwoofer (I also got the 2 channel receiver since it had a phono option for the turn table I picked up). I did not realize just how old those speakers were, they originally released way back in 2014. I was wondering why they were so cheap since they were being sold for 50% off and it now makes sense. I hope that they do the sale again so that I can pick up the rest of the series and have a 7.1 setup for my games. I'm surprised and just how expensive some of this stuff was when it originally came out.

Reactions: lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
What do I do if I'm really desperate for a good city builder but I completely burned out on Cities: Skylines? Preferably not medieval city builders which I see popping up a lot now.
You could look at Workers & Resources but it sounds like it involves a lot of logistical stuff too, not just city building, but it's 20th century style and definitely different from C:S

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Two days had passed since the reveal and my craving towards Steam Deck continues to rise. Fuck me I want it now.
Yea the wait will be painful. I wanted it the second all the May rumors started and figured they would announce it around August with the Release shortly after. But Dec is rough. And mine is Q1 2022 despite having that stupid reservation from the first minute and it was in my cart for like 70 minutes before finally able to check out :negative-blob:

Oh well I just hope I get it early Q1 Valve pls.

And also the Winter Seal is sure looking good these days. I've got so many perfect for Deck games in my wishlist :surrenderblob:

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Two days had passed since the reveal and my craving towards Steam Deck continues to rise. Fuck me I want it now.
I want one two but who knows when Aus will get it. I might look into getting someone to get for me in the US/EU but the wait will be long as well. The wait for my VN machine will be long. :negative-blob:

Been pretty busy with work lately so I've been lurking for a while but I did get this achievement. For anime.

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yea the wait will be painful. I wanted it the second all the May rumors started and figured they would announce it around August with the Release shortly after. But Dec is rough. And mine is Q1 2022 despite having that stupid reservation from the first minute and it was in my cart for like 70 minutes before finally able to check out :negative-blob:

Oh well I just hope I get it early Q1 Valve pls.

And also the Winter Seal is sure looking good these days. I've got so many perfect for Deck games in my wishlist :surrenderblob:
The wait is especially painful because it is not available here:disappointed-face:

The Deck will definitely be the main consideration when I get games during the winter sale. For example, I think it will be the perfect moment to get FTL and Into the Breach. Both looks like great fit to the machine.
I want one two but who knows when Aus will get it. I might look into getting someone to get for me in the US/EU but the wait will be long as well. The wait for my VN machine will be long. :negative-blob:
Yeah, same. I need to find someone irl to get it for me.

• Sad
Reactions: Vantr and lashman

dude

🧿🧿🧿
Jul 15, 2021
Tel Aviv-Jaffa
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
You could look at Workers & Resources but it sounds like it involves a lot of logistical stuff too, not just city building, but it's 20th century style and definitely different from C:S

Actually more logistical stuff is more interesting to me than just straight up city building lol. I wish the next Cities: Skylines had more in-depth controls over managing your city, logistics etc. My main concern with W&S is that it's a bit too ugly looking, if I'm going to build a Communist Utopia city I don't want the city to look like a rundown soviet town from the 40's :(

How about a Tropico game?
Never tried one! Which one should I go with?

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
How is Valve suppose to sell millions of the Deck if they manufacture it themself? I read that some people are not getting it until Q2 next year and I assume 1 million of them haven't been ordered yet.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
How is Valve suppose to sell millions of the Deck if they manufacture it themself? I read that some people are not getting it until Q2 next year and I assume 1 million of them haven't been ordered yet.
The way Gabe phrased it in the IGN interview was that if they are doing things right and people love the product they will sell millions of it. So the first year they will probably just gauge interest with how everything goes. Afterwards maybe they ramp up production to sell millions with pricecuts or discontinue it while working on a new Deck 2. Maybe Deck 1 does 5-10 million lifetime and then gather enough word of mouth they go all out on Deck 2 or revision. The most important thing is the product reviews well and people like it. They are not gonna push crazy assembly lines until that happens.

They have a lot of wiggle room to do crazy stuff if Proton really does reach close to 100% compatibility. I wouldn't be surprised if they push out some new living room console next year as well. The infrastructure they have is looking to be huge.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I imagine that custom chip by AMD is a big problem, what with the chip shortage or not.
Maybe late in 2022 the production numbers could increase by a ton.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Actually more logistical stuff is more interesting to me than just straight up city building lol. I wish the next Cities: Skylines had more in-depth controls over managing your city, logistics etc. My main concern with W&S is that it's a bit too ugly looking, if I'm going to build a Communist Utopia city I don't want the city to look like a rundown soviet town from the 40's :(
W&R is absolutely AMAZING ... highly-recommended ... it's seriously one of the best city builders/management games out there ... and they haven't even finished it yet

it's worth it for the soundtrack alone! :)

Been pretty busy with work lately so I've been lurking for a while but I did get this achievement.

added ... congrats! :)

The Deck will definitely be the main consideration when I get games during the winter sale. For example, I think it will be the perfect moment to get FTL and Into the Breach. Both looks like great fit to the machine.
perfect for the SwitchDeck :smart-thinking-blob:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I woke up to PTU Wave 2 for Star Citizen and... There are no words. I thought people were being hyperbolic when they said that you have to experience it yourself.

I now agree. Screenshots do not do it justice.

This is an instance where static images do not, cannot do the reality and feeling of being there justice. The size and sheer scale of it is breathtaking. Plunging through those immense clouds forming corridors stretching into the horizon is awe-inspiring in the most literal sense. It feels like diving into a deep, wonderous sea.

Then there's Orison itself, which just about blows my mind all over again. To say that it's a combined tech and art flex would be understating it. It's one of the most gorgeous, imagination-defying location I've ever seen in a game. I've rarely just wanted to stop and chill in a video game location, let alone one like this one.

I don't know about a Jesus patch, but they sure delivered the heavens in this one.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Hey, as you know I haven't been updating the Weekly chart thread since Summer sale started but that changes today, I will do 3x1 and do a big post instead, sorry but Summer is a pain in the ass and usually I'm not in the mood of writing it.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
That community patch made me want to replay LA Noire but even if i do i will just be sad because there no sequel on sight. Rockstar has so many great IPs but with their release schedule we won't see many of those for a long them if ever. But things don't need to be like that. Take 2 has great studio that could make sequel, Mafia 3 developer Hangar 13. While Mafia 3 had it's issues story and characters (how they were written and actual 3d models and animations) were great.

There are also way more better cutscenes that are showing how good their facial animations are. So they could achieve what Team Bondi did just without slapping video on models :D

They also want to make games where each players story is different. They could handle sequel for sure. It doesn't need to be set in LA, New York or Chicago would be also great setting for the series. Basically anything to continue this franchise because we really lack AAA detective games.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I completed Ys IX. Not my favorite game in the series, but still pretty enjoyable nonetheless.
Just completed chapter 6 on Nightmare myself. I think it's very good, but imho it's too similar to Ys 8 for its own good. That one was a huge evolution of the Seven/Celceta style, wheras 9 feels like a copy-cat for the sake of it, with only some smaller additions. I like the story and characters, it also doesn't have any stupid "anime" moments like 8 had with Laxia at the beginning, but the settings just isn't as interesting for exploration.

Reactions: Arc

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
This feels like one of those things you keep quiet about until after you've gone to Valve because you're just going to give troll devs and anti-steam types ammo for how bad basic search functionality is.
It is exactly as you say and the worst is this is the typical issue that snowballs like crazy.
His intentions might be good but I believe he should have used other means.

Steamdb(xpaw) on this:
"congrats on promoting that putting tags in app name increases traffic, 3 other games did it in last 12 hours"
"if valve doesnt disallow this, I will just stop using store names anywhere
and use library name instead"

Last edited:
Reactions: sk2k and Yoshi

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
SteamDeck reservations open for everyone in 2 and a half hours right? I guess we can guesstimate the popularity based on how the expected order delivery date is going to move. EU is still sitting at Q1 2022.

Reactions: PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.