Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This entire article makes me wanna puke

Videogame journalists are just corporate propaganda
I have no idea what I just read, also something I'm realizing is how come on console SIE removes first party stuff from PSNow? Seeing by the time that they are on there, that they are now selling for $10. They said it cost $100 million to make games now and it would not be sustainable to do first party stuff at launch but what about right now? Them doing PC stuff makes sense seeing how they can still make money but also why not use those first party games as a back catalogue thing at least? Technically they are doing it right now on the PS5 with older PS4 games but I don't think they are going to add other games to that and that it's mainly for early adopters and well yeah..... Some people are still having issues getting a PS5. With Xbox you can pretty much play all of their available backlog if you are subscribed (just the thought of giving out a game for free must freak out Nintendo but at least they do it with the NES and SNES game though so there is that).

Here is your daily corporate propaganda, emulation is illegal and it's piracy. Oh how will this multi billion dollar companies survive and sell us $60 remasters of 10+ year old games.

I defend some stuff, people also make bait on purpose. Who even knows what's real any more.

Also some weebs are okay but there some some die hard one out there (the kind that I remember from highschool) that you can't reason with and seem to have a hate boner for anything western related. Anything not JRPG and or Nintendo/Sony related should not exist type of thing. (I'm looking at you Kid Link from Ocarina of time profile person)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Anyone here played Starseed Pilgrim? What a weird ass game. But I think I kinda like it?
Yes, I have, probably about 30 hours. I still have no idea what they hell I'm doing but will lose like 30-40 minutes to it at a time. Toma sold me on it (partly so I could grab him some footage), but it's addictive

Reactions: beep boop

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

I already commented on this on discord but this article completely ommits 2 main important problems of that:

The first one is simply that revenue is: Copies sold * Price of the game. Increasing the price of the game will impact copies sold. Of course, small tweeks of the price are probably an advantage as you lose less buyers than extra income that comes from the price increase (aka, what they are doing with the "small" increase of 10$ which is like 15-20% increase of revenue per copy sold at max cost). However, breaching some psycholgoical barriers like 100$ / 100€ will change how some customers view the purchase of game (as it stops being "oh some hobby money" to be "oh I can purchase enough food for a month with this shit").
Some could be said about indies being undervalued in general and being on a better situation to increase their price by huge percentages (for instance a 50% increase from 20€ -> 30€) as it would still be seen by most people as a "cheap" game, so they would probably lose less customers than the extra money they earn per copy. This also allows the indie devs run "deeper" discount (as %) while still having quite high prices (for instance, 66% discount vs 50% discount to reach 10€). Most people nowadays in sales look into the % as a sign of "great sale" instead of the price point, so they would sell more copies that way. I think the No More Robots guy made a twitter thread regarding this.

The second one is that the problem is not that they need to make MP / GAAS to make money but rather that they are more profitable. If you are investing 100M in a game, your goal is not "make enough copy to keep making them" but rather optimize the ROI of it. And MP / GAAS games, are both better in retaining players and getting you continuous sales, but also sell better. It's just a perfect combination of goals.
The only reason we are now seeing some AAA publishers like EA moving away from GAAS is just that the market can only hold so many GAAS and at some point you are competing with yourself. Why would you create another shooter looter GAAS when your publisher already has one that is semi succesful? Why would you create another MP Shooter GAAS when your publisher already has one? GAAS are expensive to make and to keep being sucesful, so competing with yourself over the same market is stupid. Better to use some of those resources in sp games..

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019

It really does seem to get harder to tell satire apart from genuine articles... but yes, think of all the games that could be made if every gamer had twice the gaming budget and decided to still spend the whole amount on video games.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Unity is an odd duck; some devs make good use of it, others don't seem to be able to. Worst of all is when you aren't offered to manually change graphic settings.
I'm playing Syberia 3 and I find that if I had the ability to fiddle with certain gfx options, I can resolve these odd FPS issues I've been having.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I started playing Venetica few days ago. I don't remember why it was on my shortlist, but a random.org picked it from that list.
It's not nearly as bad as metacritic score might make you think. It's a little buggy, but otherwise I'm kind of enjoying it.

Also I could be mistaken since I haven't fact checked it, but one of the voice actors sounds a lot like Kingseeker Frampt from Dark Souls.

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
It really does seem to get harder to tell satire apart from genuine articles... but yes, think of all the games that could be made if every gamer had twice the gaming budget and decided to still spend the whole amount on video games.
Yeah, if I had double the disposable income I'd have a better monitor and absolutely nothing else would change.

MaskedCircle

"Let's Positive Thinking"
May 28, 2021
guys I need help, I have basic controller which has 3 button at middle, select, start and home. As the name implies select and start works as intended but when I click home button it brings up the box screen menu which has recording/captures and stuff, I'm trying to customize that so that I can set it to ss key on steam because it's very annoying when I'm playing a game and I have to get close to keyboard to click for ss. Kinda ruins my laid back experience, if anyone can help me, please tell me.

nvm, I'm really dumb I literally wrote this and found the solution while hovering over game bar settings.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Yes, I have, probably about 30 hours. I still have no idea what they hell I'm doing but will lose like 30-40 minutes to it at a time. Toma sold me on it (partly so I could grab him some footage), but it's addictive
Wow! I was hoping it would make more sense after a couple of hours, but I guess I should adjust my expectations. I’m enjoying the process of figuring out its mechanics for now. And it’s very relaxing planting things, watching them grow and listening to the sounds they make. It has a Proteus-like quality where I'm getting a lot out of the very basic elements of the game as opposed to any overarching loop or goal-driven gameplay.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Anyone remember Amazon Tony from the GAF days?

The guy always gave us awesome deals on Steam keys. Amazon used to be super competitive as a Steam key reseller. As soon as Tony left, Amazon's PC digital sales department went to shit.

Tony is now working for Twitch Prime, though I'm unsure if that's still the case.
I still have an adress in the USA on my Amazon profile thanks to him (I believe it was Sarah Palin's house in Alaska because there was no sales tax).

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Why stop there? Think of all the games that could get made if they cost 3 times as much!
Or, here's a crazy "entitled toxic gamer" idea: what if people just like your game better and buy it twice or three times as much?
But oh no, that gives options to people, we can't have that.

Reactions: lashman

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Update on the revoked X-note and Train of Afterlife Steam keys:
They should now be back in everyone's library. If you don't see them, try restarting your Steam client.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I purchased my 7.1 system. I still have to it up and to do so I would need to get some bookshelf speakers stand to put in the back.

If anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I'm looking for something to put on carpet and something that I can also move around as need be. And not have fixed to one sole location.

As it turns I think that my ASRock X470 mobo had 5.1 audio support (it says it does 7.1, but I'm guessing that would be more of a hassle to set up with a receiver).

I ended up getting a Sony DN1080 and I think they raised the price since it was $700 for me to buy today (I think that there is low stock of that AV receiver in general and was sold out in a lot of places. Last year the MSRP was just $600 I think and during the black Friday sale last year it was being sold for around $500. I tried to look up articles on it but there wasn't anything that mentioned a price increase, even on the official Sony site it said that the price was $699 and when I used the way back thing on the best buy site, it said that the price was under $600 as the MSRP.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
In the case of Portal 2 they were able to play it for 4hrs and they said turning it to 30fps extends the battery to 5-6hrs. Its a nice bump and is basically the difference between finishing Portal 2 in a single battery charge vs not finishing it. The limiter will be quite handy for both shorter and demanding games.

Also kind of mindblowing to me that you can play Portal 2 for 5-6hrs on a handheld. I know its a 10year old game but it still looks really good. Several portions of that game could visually pass off as a next gen title if they remastered it for modern systems/resolutions.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way I am an idiot for some reason when I purchased my floor standing speaker I thought that there was 2 in the box (I have never purchased floor speakers and was not paying attention to the size. Hindsight is a nice things because today could have gone down a lot more smoothly if I had made use of it.

• Sad
Reactions: kafiend

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I started playing Venetica few days ago. I don't remember why it was on my shortlist, but a random.org picked it from that list.
It's not nearly as bad as metacritic score might make you think. It's a little buggy, but otherwise I'm kind of enjoying it.

Also I could be mistaken since I haven't fact checked it, but one of the voice actors sounds a lot like Kingseeker Frampt from Dark Souls.
I liked Venetica a lot! Played it a long time ago.
I don't even recall why I bought it back in the day, but it was a standalone download from gamersgate before it released on Steam years later. But yeah, I thought it was a pretty good game. Some parts have a bit too much backtracking and searching, and yes, it shows it's not a high budget game, but that didn't matter to me. The world was just fascinating, the story engaging enough, and the combat was satisfying :)

And you're right, that voice actor is Peter Marinker - IMDb

Guess I'll start adding funds to my steam wallet until I reach the amount for the Deck by december
I'm doing the same. Treating the Steam Wallet as a piggy bank of sorts :)

• Gib
Reactions: Parsnip

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
How the hell we reached the point where EA has better Single Player release slate than Ubisoft?
well when both of them are generally total shit for so long, it only takes one of them to eventually bring out one thing good in order to appear better than their competition

really are as dumb as a bag of fucking rocks

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Unknown and probably fake, but there's that :p

Yup, exciting :blobeyes:

Yes, most likely because there's DLC coming (they are teasing it via Twitter) at the same time they also uploaded new assets for Steam indicating they will host an in-page broadcast playing the game or the DLC.

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
Personally, I would recommend against people adding up any sort of significant funds throughout the year into their Steam Wallet to pay for the Deck. Erekiddo and others have had issues in the past year or so where hackers were able to gain access to their account, spend a not-insignificant amount of funds ($100-$200, iirc) and Valve did nothing about this. No refund, nothing. And that's with 2FA turned on.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I know people were wondering about Terra Nil earlier in the month and i just noticed this Tutorial playthrough by "Real Civil Engineer" which might interest people.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.