Community MetaSteam | July 2021 - Corporate Propaganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Folks don't know, but the Steam Thread used to be home to Amazon Tony and Epic Galy.
Who is Epic Galy?

I believe Amazon Tony was banned on GAF before Amiibos launched. I'm guessing no, though I can't say for certain since I haven't followed him post-GAF.
What did Tony get banned for?
Just got my microsoft bucks POGGERS

the payment happens as a redemption link for a digital prepaid credit card
Are you sure that you weren't tricked and that's actually your own money that you are using /s

I don't know if I will be able to financially recover from this month. I keep thinking I will just buy one more thing and that's it and all of a sudden (hey look we are having a summer sale at the end of July......) My poor poor wallet. Hopefully there are less sales in August and hopefully not that much happening in September and then I should be good up until November/December.

I'm kind of glad that I didn't get to be a part of the December Steam Deck people.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone remember Amazon Tony from the GAF days?

The guy always gave us awesome deals on Steam keys. Amazon used to be super competitive as a Steam key reseller. As soon as Tony left, Amazon's PC digital sales department went to shit.

Tony is now working for Twitch Prime, though I'm unsure if that's still the case.
I remember him well, especially due to his hard work on getting Kingdom of Amalur Steam keys up on Amazon.

What did Tony get banned for?
Im fairly sure he made a thread with a post that the GAF staff considered to be Amazon advertising and advertising personal stuff or something was not allowed on GAF.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Amazon Tony was a perpetual line-stepper as far as promotions went. I think the mods at GAF decided he went too far with a few things that he did without consulting the mods. This included making threads about Amazon and if I remember correctly trying to do deals with OT creators, though that may only be a rumour.

While I get that GAF didn’t want people just spamming their wares constantly, I also think they may have given the thumbs up to what he was doing if they’d cut EviLore in on the profits, as I find that a lot of his motives and reasons for why GAF was run the way it was prior to the exodus were deeply dishonest. Alas, the Amazon business model didn’t allow for cutting him in as they were working on razor-thin margins to do the kind of discounts they were running.

But honestly, I think the long term plan by Amazon was to kill other third party sites like GMG and Humble and then try to try and force Valve to ban free key generation by aggressively undercutting Steam, and then launch a competing client with an EGS-style cut that would go up once Steam was out. I don’t miss them.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

I had sold 410 (276 in the first week) game copies on Steam, which gives me $632 ($414.4 in the first week). [...] On the launch day, I had sold 120 game copies. [...] Around 2.5-3% of sales come from Linux, and the other 2.5-3% of sales come from macOS, the rest (over 90%) come from Windows. [...] Oh, and as a bonus, before Steam launch, I launched my game on itch.io and game jolt ($3 price), but in the first month, I sold 0 copies. Right now, my game was removed by me from the game jolt, I keep it on itch.io, I sold 1 copy on itch.io for a gross of ~$3.99.
Before the game launch, I knew that game will be a failure. I was expecting most sales from Latin America (low price), my all previous mobile games were a failure, wishlist number was low + in the first month of early access (outside of Steam) I sold 0 games copies. So, there were no success indicators. I got no problem with it, everything is running according to my plan. [...] I still need to resolve the huge problem with Poland taxing, which’s is a serious enemy against my plan (no profit, but you have to pay taxes? Welcome to Poland), I think I will also release a post after Early access or/an Android/IOS release with stats if you got any questions to feel free to ask me (but please, ask simple questions).

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Trying to learn investing, never too late! But being 42 and only now started is so late to the game I feel like a Neanderthal .
Same, also the fact that i don't have the cash to make big investments means that i'm not looking at big returns and with the work involved in keeping up to date with things it just seems like a second job at times so i don't bother. Can't be worse than the interest payouts on bank accounts at the moment though so it is tempting.

• This!
Reactions: Le Pertti

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
How the hell we reached the point where EA has better Single Player release slate than Ubisoft?
I don't know, but the thought of Respawn working on 2 singleplayer games brings me tremendous joy. It's great to see EA doubling down on singleplayer Bioware and Dead Space too (though I really hope they don't just stop at 1, I NEED DS2).

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Played the free prologue chapter of Black Book for half an hour. A card-based RPG telling the story of a woman who venture to break the seven seals in order to bring back her lover from hell. If you have played games like Slay the Spire, you will be very familiar with the game, except it also has long dialogues (maybe too long for some people), choices which influence story and endings, quests to unlock new cards, and lores heavily influenced by Russian folktales. It even has an in-game encyclopedia and hints during dialogues to explain the Russian jargons you encountered.

The game is very promising during my short play session. Background arts and cards are beautiful. I particularly love that even enemy attacks are illustrated. And card-based combats are always fun. I would be looking out for the full release early next month.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Same, also the fact that i don't have the cash to make big investments means that i'm not looking at big returns and with the work involved in keeping up to date with things it just seems like a second job at times so i don't bother. Can't be worse than the interest payouts on bank accounts at the moment though so it is tempting.
Yeah I'm not really looking at getting any big wins right now, but to at least have something when I'm really old. It really is something one should have started at early as possible so now is better than later.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
This entire article makes me wanna puke

Videogame journalists are just corporate propaganda
:lul:

How might a single-player game like the aforementioned Looking Glass meisterwerk, with an untested setting and a fresh combat style at its core, make it to storefronts today?

Easy. Just double the price of games.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
This entire article makes me wanna puke

Videogame journalists are just corporate propaganda
Jokes on them, mostly poorer countries are already paying the double or more of the suggested price for games. It's incredible how they doesn't seem too consider any other countries when talking about pricing in games.

I'll just post this image again even though there are some Europeans country that I could have painted with other colors but pass the idea:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
oh wow, Joe Spangle :blobhug: for Death's Door
Jokes on them, mostly poorer countries are already paying the double or more of the suggested price for games. It's incredible how they doesn't seem too consider any other countries when talking about pricing in games.

I'll just post this image again even though there are some Europeans country that I could have painted with other colors but pass the idea:

That's a weird map, what's the light green country between Sweden and Russia?

ganmo

My Neighbour Totoro
Dec 10, 2018
oh wow, Joe Spangle :blobhug: for Death's Door

That's a weird map, what's the light green country between Sweden and Russia?
which one you mean? If it's the island closest to Sweden then that's Gotland which is part of Sweden too. if you are talking about the island below Finland, then that's seems to be an island which is part of Estonia.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Knurek I don't know about taxes but i've never heard of a Finn avoiding alcohol! Is such a thing even possible?
Big alcohol perpetuated the myth that a country called Finland exists (somewhere in the middle of Baltic Sea) and pushed the alt-truth that they are big alcohol consumers, so that they can move all their profits there and don't pay taxes in actual, real world existing countries.
:smart-thinking-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.