Community MetaSteam | July 2022 - Stray(t) out of Kowloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Shame, though, as I would've liked to have both options as far as controllers go. It's a minor nitpick but it was kind of annoying playing FFVIIR with an xbox controller cause Square-Enix couldn't be bothered to update the in-game button icons. You'd get a prompt for Y but the actual in-game graphic still showed a triangle lol. I'm not one to go for "lazy dev" rhetoric as I understand full well how stupid that is but in this particular instance, it's just so fucking lazy lol. I mean, I get that it's more than just an icon swap here but still, it's like, what, 2 or 3 assets for the entire game?
I think the game is just bad about recognising controllers. I use a Dualsense, and I had to use mods to get FFVIIR to show me dualshock prompts, was just showing me Xbox-style prompts otherwise.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
What an ingenious moneymaking scheme. I wish I'd thought of it...
Funny enough there was a dev how said that they had planned to do something similar but they said in their version they would make it so that it would take 10-20 seconds longer to close out of the game or something and it would show up as 2 hours for people.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019

Ubisoft is supposedly working on an unique spinoff of "The Division:"
They never learn, it’s really impressive ! UBI is speedrunning their journey into irrelevance.

Actually I often think about them and EA these days, what those big companies have become. It’s like they just refuse to make a somewhat respectable game, always chasing the last monetization or social trend, failure after failure.

I suppose they still can make pachinko.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I think the game is just bad about recognising controllers. I use a Dualsense, and I had to use mods to get FFVIIR to show me dualshock prompts, was just showing me Xbox-style prompts otherwise.
Nah, apparently it's an option hidden away somewhere to get Playstation prompts. You go into the options menu and then at the bottom of the screen there's a button that says "select controller" and it lets you choose between the ones the game can detect.

I could be wrong, though. It's what I read online but I didn't have a PS controller to test it out.

But that's not what I was talking about. I don't mean the buttom prompts themselves but rather icons like this one:

Notice the keyboard prompts (because it swapped from the Xbox ones automatically when I pressed F12 to take the screenshot) but the graphic on the chest still shows a triangle. I think those are just baked into the game and they couldn't be bothered to make new ones for other controllers. I swear, you'd think they literally didn't anticipate ever porting it to other platforms. It's like this company is still stuck with a mindset from the 90s or something. 🤦‍♂️

------------

On another note, thank fuck I finally finished my Yakuza 3 playthrough. Only took me almost a year. Like 8 months to get through the first half of the game and 3 days to get through the second half lol. It's not bad but the combat in it can be so frustrating that it made walk away from it for months at a time. I heard that they fixed this for Yakuza 4 and I really hope that's true...

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I have a question about Vampire Survivors; Is there any way to reach minute 31 on a map without using the lancet evolution (the thing that freezes enemies in place)? I've tried multiple variations of weapons but I just cannot seem to find a way to kill the 30 minute boss without stunlocking it. I've seen madjoki plays the game a lot. Would you happen to have any strategies to do this?

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I have a question about Vampire Survivors; Is there any way to reach minute 31 on a map without using the lancet evolution (the thing that freezes enemies in place)? I've tried multiple variations of weapons but I just cannot seem to find a way to kill the 30 minute boss without stunlocking it. I've seen madjoki plays the game a lot. Would you happen to have any strategies to do this?
You definitely can, I wasn't even trying to the other day and managed but I think you have to either have the evolved lancet or evolved laurel (I had the laurel plus a bunch of weapons). Keep in mind, originally there was no "legit" way to beat the boss, and they added those 31 minute unlocks at the same time as the evolved laurel/lancet specifically because they are intended to be the end boss killer items.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Screw Linux, I just want to transfer files from My Windows 10 PC to my Steam Deck
Yeah i struggled with adjusting to Linux. Lots of different ways of doing things that are just so ingrained from using windows for decades. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
On another note, thank fuck I finally finished my Yakuza 3 playthrough. Only took me almost a year. Like 8 months to get through the first half of the game and 3 days to get through the second half lol. It's not bad but the combat in it can be so frustrating that it made walk away from it for months at a time. I heard that they fixed this for Yakuza 4 and I really hope that's true...
I just started Yakuza 4, and it feels like a "return" to Yakuza 0 to me. Pretty much every substory is meaty and feels like it gives you a good idea about who the main character actually is. I really didn't like them very much in Yakuza Kiwami and 3, and even in Kiwami 2 most of them felt like they were incredibly barebones in terms of writing.

It's also nice to not have Kiryu as the protagonist again for once.
Screw Linux, I just want to transfer files from My Windows 10 PC to my Steam Deck
Have you not looked at Winpinator/Warpinator? Honestly, transferring large files has been bothersome on Windows too, so this isn't really a Linux problem. In fact, I would argue it's a Windows problem since Warpinator, for example, is just a tool developed by and for a specific Linux distribution and there are many other such tools that Linux distros just provide by default.
Meanwhile, using WIndows Shares has always been a janky nightmare in my experience with them. Having to setup and use a shared filesystem if you just want to move a file around is also complete overkill.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
had another "falling out" with those very same internet friends; apparently ranting about how I have sensitive skin ( + undiagnosed skin allergy) and can't use suncream, most lotions and face lotions was really crossing the line compared to the usual stuff I talk about

speaking of skin, I haven't been able to do any work or play these past few days, as I got a light sunburn on my forearms, and waited a few days for it to just go away rather than apply the hellish creams, which cause me actually more suffering and death than the bubonic plague

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yeah, I've heard enough good things about those features that I would've been tempted if it had been like half the price but at almost 100 bucks then hell no.
I'm expecting MS to update the xbox series controllers with some similar new features at some point, that probably needs to happen for a wider support from devs.

• Eyes

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I tried multiple things in the end I was able to use the one that most of you are mentioning. I even tried filezilla and yeah......

The biggest issue was figuring out how to get it to work. I saw a link to go to flatpak hub and just "Install it" there, so it gives me a link from. There and I try that and it gives me an error of something. After maybe and hour I use the sudo terminal to run the program and then it works. Is there a way to set up a short cut on the desktop for it? Not having a mouse and keyboard for the Steam Deck really is a nightmare.

Anyway I was able to get it working and wow it's been great since.

Now here is my next plan, is there a way to use this method to transfer steam games and then go to desktop mode on the Steam Deck and have steam "discover" that those games are on my SD card?

• Eyes

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I liked the main story in this respect a lot. It's just the side quests that are pretty mediocre. So if you feel the getting a bit boring, I'd recommend just going through the main story bits only
The main story is interesting so far, ai'm curious to see where its going so far I only did one side but if they get too repetitive I'll just follow the main plot

• Eyes

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
My current set up is i got a RTX 3060 laptop in my bed room with Wifi 6 and streaming it using Parsec to a android tablet that is wired to my fiber router.

Fan noise drives me up the wall. not a single fan in this room.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The only thing I dislike about Powerwash Simulator is how useless the soap / cleaning liquids are. You'd guess there would be some surfaces that can be cleaned only with them but that's not the case, and they're pretty much a waste of money.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
Nah, apparently it's an option hidden away somewhere to get Playstation prompts. You go into the options menu and then at the bottom of the screen there's a button that says "select controller" and it lets you choose between the ones the game can detect.

I could be wrong, though. It's what I read online but I didn't have a PS controller to test it out.
I don't know if this helps or anything, but the game will support DualSense and automatically switch to Playstation button prompts on Steam if you go into the game properties on steam, select Controller, and then select "Disable Steam Input" from the dropdown menu. I think its because the game doesn't need Steam to detect a Dualsense controller. (did this using my own DualSense controller when the game first came to Steam).

Here's their Steam post about it:

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Of all the Call of Duty games released on Steam so far, Black Ops III has been the one with the most longevity.

And it's not very close. Here's the top 10 most currently played Call of Duty games on Steam:

Full list here.

Black Ops III has been selling quite well every time it's on sale, even sometimes being inside the top 10 global sellers like it currently is, which is impressive for an almost 7-year-old game. The game also gets a nice boost in concurrent players every sale, as displayed by Steam Charts:

I'm sure you can pinpoint a lot of the game's success to its beloved zombie mode, but it's worth noting that Black Ops III is the only Call of Duty game with Steam Workshop support. I'd like to think that has a lot to do with its longevity, in both sales and playerbase. I'm hoping one day we'll see them embrace the modding scene once again in future titles 🤞

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Of all the Call of Duty games released on Steam so far, Black Ops III has been the one with the most longevity.

And it's not very close. Here's the top 10 most currently played Call of Duty games on Steam:

Full list here.

Black Ops III has been selling quite well every time it's on sale, even sometimes being inside the top 10 global sellers like it currently is, which is impressive for an almost 7-year-old game. The game also gets a nice boost in concurrent players every sale, as displayed by Steam Charts:

I'm sure you can pinpoint a lot of the game's success to its beloved zombie mode, but it's worth noting that Black Ops III is the only Call of Duty game with Steam Workshop support. I'd like to think that has a lot to do with its longevity, in both sales and playerbase. I'm hoping one day we'll see them embrace the modding scene once again in future titles 🤞
Zombies carrying the franchise.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I don't know if this helps or anything, but the game will support DualSense and automatically switch to Playstation button prompts on Steam if you go into the game properties on steam, select Controller, and then select "Disable Steam Input" from the dropdown menu. I think its because the game doesn't need Steam to detect a Dualsense controller. (did this using my own DualSense controller when the game first came to Steam).

Here's their Steam post about it:
I tried that, and it jus didn't detect my Dualsense at all when using it wirelessly. I think it worked when it was wired, but that defeats the point of using a modern wireless controller for me. So I just ended up using Steam Input as normal and using mods.

They should just allow people to decide what kind of prompts they want. It's even funny when you think about it. Trying to auto-detect the controller is a lot of work, compared to implementing a simple drop down. I kinda shows how actually understanding PC Gaming well can help you deliver a far better product and still save time.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
My current set up is i got a RTX 3060 laptop in my bed room with Wifi 6 and streaming it using Parsec to a android tablet that is wired to my fiber router.

Fan noise drives me up the wall. not a single fan in this room.

How is the latency with this kind of setup? Can you play shooters without noticing the input lag? I would like to do something similar in near future but I'm still looking at the options.

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
How is the latency with this kind of setup? Can you play shooters without noticing the input lag? I would like to do something similar in near future but I'm still looking at the options.
Latency seems pretty solid, Iv not noticed any problems playing precision platformers\action games etc.
Its better then Nvidia gamestream\moonlight

Currently got Decoder set to my RTX GPU, Render DX12 (beta) and Using H265 hevc
Set quality profile to prioritize lowest latency, capped fps at 60, set bandwith limit at 50 Mbps (max without editing config)
the stream quality looks clean. if your on wifi 5 or older that might be a different experience
Wifi 6 definetly been a game changer for me.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Latency seems pretty solid, Iv not noticed any problems playing precision platformers\action games etc.
Its better then Nvidia gamestream\moonlight

Currently got Decoder set to my RTX GPU, Render DX12 (beta) and Using H265 hevc
Set quality profile to prioritize lowest latency, capped fps at 60, set bandwith limit at 50 Mbps (max without editing config)
the stream quality looks clean. if your on wifi 5 or older that might be a different experience
Wifi 6 definetly been a game changer for me.
I would connect both host and client with an ethernet cable so it technically should work better. I have GTX 1060 tho, I don't know if RTX cards have any benefits when streaming your desktop.

Reactions: Satori

Satori

Apr 5, 2022
Sweden
I would connect both host and client with an ethernet cable so it technically should work better. I have GTX 1060 tho, I don't know if RTX cards have any benefits when streaming your desktop.
Better gfx card = better decoding of the video stream without impacting performance.
Not sure how much resources Parsec uses but i previously used it with Surface PCs so you should be fine. :)

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I kind of lost the ability to play games WITHOUT listening to podcast or YouTube. Doesn't matter the game, im playing Elden Ring and Paradise Killer and. for both I need to listen to something.
me too, but I mostly watch Lets plays from either the game I am playing (if I want a side-playthorugh/walkthrough) or from random games where I can listen/watch without concentrating much

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021

wall

the planks in the room are now basically done, which is a very good thing
now i have to
  • fix the window (make it the right size, make it a window, find appropriate material for it)
  • fix the door side of the walls, which implies:
    • adding planks
    • adding lists on floor and around door (create doorframe instead of using the one in pic)
    • adding a door (duh)
    • add The Ominous Room (for later when i'm more done with the room), which then
      • has several whiteboards (or even blackboards with chalk if that's possible to somehow mod in) as if it was an university classroom
      • a gun range with infinite ammo, featuring targets at different lengths, so when i get tired of drawing/thinking with the whiteboards, i can just take a breather and shoot some targets
      • somehow, will also have entertainment in the form of a projector playing Top Gear specials (which I never get bored off), as well as an improvised chair
      • as well as other ideas i get

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! jads653 is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Jul 25, 2022 at 5:02 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

Finished Stray today and I want to share the experience. I am in NL / Europe and will gift you the game through Steam.

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

Status
Not open for further replies.