Community MetaSteam | July 2022 - Stray(t) out of Kowloon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Cheers Mor, thank you for your work.

Once again the sanctity of the steam thread has been tainted by anime... We'll have to try again next month, I know we can be better than this.
I mean, I'm a fan of Japanese games after all :evilblob:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
And, it seems "Brace Yourself Games" is building the foundations for their next game based on this update.
Or maybe Nintendo relented and allowed them to port Cadence of Hyrule to other platforms?
Would be nice

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Playing Sunbreak and the remade Jungle area is awesome to explore but this one lod/whatever issue that was hard to see in the base game persists and is now more evident than ever when looking down from its highest peaks to the flat shoreline below. Between this and the broken TAA, come on Capcpom 😿

Still, great area with tons of variety, over and underground and so different at night. The new silkbind moveset switch thing with the dodge possible after using it brings the game even more to character action genre territory. But I'm still playing it old school like it's Tri, I guess all that stuff's too complicated for me (and I haven't really sat down to try to learn it all). I love the wall running now kicks in when just running/dropping/flying into things, no need to wirebug launch.

Seeing a lot of negativity in user reviews, some seem to be because people didn't uninstall their base game mods and they break the game for now. Others I don't get, people trash it for fighting the old monsters in Master Rank. I haven't played previous games in a while but isn't that how it always is? It's not like they completely replace the roster and frontload all the new stuff, it's spread out. The game starts with an all new (for the game) monster and area and new sub species. The returning monsters also have new tricks and pack a mean punch in MR, I got careless and carted by a Great Wroggi and other almost fodder monsters you get to grips with early on that I'd normally beat without thinking because they do a ton of damage before upgrading to MR level gear.

Sunbreak instantly improves pretty much all features in the game, from the core combat, to the felynes and palamutes, to the meowcenaries and shops and lotteries and forging, just about everything is upgraded and is sure to be enhanced as you progress in the game and unlock more stuff and interact more with the various NPCs in the new town which is cool and has everything you need without switching to different areas (which you can still do easy peasy normally or with the fast travel and even jump back to Kamura, though I don't think there's going to be much reason to beyond the story developing in such a manner).

Edit: so apparently Sunbreak also adds some less monsters than Iceborne did and some people trash it for that too, but it's still a respectable roster addition plus the base game itself had more monsters than World did so the total number of game + expansion is apparently almost identical when all's said and done, it's even possible Sunbreak will eventually have more given the announced title updates will be adding more monsters as well while World most likely already has had most of the additions and won't be getting many more past this point (outside some possible grand promotional event I guess).

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Is it just me or are DLDSR settings needlessly unintuitive? These are the options I get in nvidia control panel:

And I wanted to understand what everything actually means here and it took me way too long to figure it out.

I know that, unlike regular DSR, DLDSR doesn't actually render at the resolution you're downsampling from. I'm assuming the actual resolution used is the one in parentheses and then the AI is doing its thing to extrapolate the image up to the target resolution. But I couldn't figure out what these factors represent because multiplying the values of my monitor's native res by either of them didn't really result in anything that made sense. It got me wondering if there wasn't a bug that made it use my second monitor's 1080p resolution as a starting point instead of my main monitor's 1440p. The exact values of my res being in the parentheses next to 1.78x didn't exactly help things here.

Anyway, I think I finally got it and what's being multiplied by 2.25 (or 1.78) is the total pixel count.
So 2560 x 1440 = 3686400
and then 3686400 x 2.25 = 8294400 which is 4K.

Please tell me I have this right? And if so, why the hell isn't the actual target resolution mentioned anywhere? Like, 4K shows up in-game as an option but things in NCP were so unclear that it made me question whether or not I had it set up properly. It would've been nice if next to 2.25 it said "This downsamples from 4K" or something.

Also, while we're here: is there any benefit to combining both DLDSR and DLSS or am I better off using one or the other? I think that by using DLDSR I'd be forcing DLSS to use a higher resolution to start from, right? Or at this point am I messing with the picture so much that I'm likely to just get worse results?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and xinek

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Is it just me or are DLDSR settings needlessly unintuitive? These are the options I get in nvidia control panel:

And I wanted to understand what everything actually means here and it took me way too long to figure it out.

I know that, unlike regular DSR, DLDSR doesn't actually render at the resolution you're downsampling from. I'm assuming the actual resolution used is the one in parentheses and then the AI is doing its thing to extrapolate the image up to the target resolution. But I couldn't figure out what these factors represent because multiplying the values of my monitor's native res by either of them didn't really result in anything that made sense. It got me wondering if there wasn't a bug that made it use my second monitor's 1080p resolution as a starting point instead of my main monitor's 1440p. The exact values of my res being in the parentheses next to 1.78x didn't exactly help things here.

Anyway, I think I finally got it and what's being multiplied by 2.25 (or 1.78) is the total pixel count.
So 2560 x 1440 = 3686400
and then 3686400 x 2.25 = 8294400 which is 4K.

Please tell me I have this right? And if so, why the hell isn't the actual target resolution mentioned anywhere? Like, 4K shows up in-game as an option but things in NCP were so unclear that it made me question whether or not I had it set up properly. It would've been nice if next to 2.25 it said "This downsamples from 4K" or something.

Also, while we're here: is there any benefit to combining both DLDSR and DLSS or am I better off using one or the other? I think that by using DLDSR I'd be forcing DLSS to use a higher resolution to start from, right? Or at this point am I messing with the picture so much that I'm likely to just get worse results?

Downsampling from anything other than 4x without the smoothness filter has weird results due to the multiplier of each axis not being an integer at anything lower than 4x*, DLDSR attempts to improve this with machine learning, basically the downsampling itself is the same between DSR and DLDSR, but DLDSR uses machine learning to improve the final result instead of the smoothness gaussian filter that DSR has.

* At 4x downsampling, each axis is 2x the original, 2x 1920 = 3840 and 2x 1080 = 2160.
But at 2.25x downsampling, each axis is 1.5x the original (not an integer scaling), 1.5x 1920 = 2880 and 1.5x 1080 = 1620.

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Downsampling from anything other than 4x without the smoothness filter has weird results due to the multiplier of each axis not being an integer at anything lower than 4x*, DLDSR attempts to improve this with machine learning, basically the downsampling itself is the same between DSR and DLDSR, but DLDSR uses machine learning to improve the final result instead of the smoothness gaussian filter that DSR has.

* At 4x downsampling, each axis is 2x the original, 2x 1920 = 3840 and 2x 1080 = 2160.
But at 2.25x downsampling, each axis is 1.5x the original (not an integer scaling), 1.5x 1920 = 2880 and 1.5x 1080 = 1620.
Weird, I could've sworn I read that DLDSR used a lower rendering resolution and used AI to scale it up. I must've gotten my wires crossed between DLSS and DLDSR then. I've been reading up on both since yesterday. But now I'm even more confused about what those resolutions in parentheses are in NCP...

Reactions: QFNS

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
Something about Touhou

it's off, I can't put my finger on it. It gives off rurouni kenshin off vibes

when the rurouni kenshin creator got busted for CSAM it was the first time I had ever felt vindicated.

Now not every part of the Touhou gives me those vibes because mainly it just confuses me so much.

I still have no idea what the fuck a touhou is

The best way I can put it is the creepy anime dolls that some people loved in the aughts, those anime dolls. That what's Touhou drawings reminds of

Last edited:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
When do you guys think valve may release a new revision for the steam deck? Like a more powerful version of the existing Steam deck with like a better battery? 2024?

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Judging by the current state of the batteries market not anytime soon

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Weird, I could've sworn I read that DLDSR used a lower rendering resolution and used AI to scale it up. I must've gotten my wires crossed between DLSS and DLDSR then. I've been reading up on both since yesterday. But now I'm even more confused about what those resolutions in parentheses are in NCP...
You may be thinking about NVidia's marketing saying that DLDSR 2.25x has similar quality to DSR 4x, but that was just marketing talk, the resolution in parentheses is the resolution it's downsampling from (same for DSR), and what DLDSR 2.25x offers over DSR 2.25x is a better process of scaling that resolution down.

Out of all the available DSR modes, 4x is the only one that doesn't need any additional scaling down process/filter, since both axis of the downsampled resolution are integer multiples of the original resolution (2x each axis).

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The resolutions in parantheses are what it's actually rendering at, and what you need to select in-game to actually use that (DL)DSR mode.

You may be thinking about NVidia's marketing saying that DLDSR 2.25x has similar quality to DSR 4x, but that was just marketing talk
I did my own comparison when it was new, and from what I saw, depending on lots of factors (like the temporal stability of the original image, and what kind of patterns are in there) 2.25x DLDSR can look as good or even slightly better than 4xDSR (and also slightly worse of course). Overall, I'd argue DLDSR 2.25x supersedes 4xDSR in almost all cases, given how little (if any) visual advantage the latter offers for a massive increase in computational cost.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
  • Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
You won't even be able to play any bought DLC for the affected games? That's a new low...
Oh no, as I alluded to it's unfortunately not a NEW low. They fucked over the last Might & Magic (blobber) entry that way. You couldn't access the DLC anymore. I thought it was fixed but seeing this I'm not so sure anymore.

Playing so much gacha games these days that I'm torn between a PC upgrade and buying an Ipad with a decent SSD. How far can I stray from god's light ?
ka-ching

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I overwrote my MH rise save by mistake while messing around with a new character creation
Gratz me I guess...
Should I play Iceborne or skip to Rise ?
I can't decide :anguished-face:

• Eyes

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Clap your hands if you find the new YT layout awful (video description and comments are not under the video anymore, you have to expand them, scrolling just scrolls the recommended videos on the right)

Looks like YT only wants you in new videos and any time spend on your current video is time that they want you in another video.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Way ahead of you. Started off the summer here in Seattle by checking out Mt. Rainier. Beautiful area.

Now I'm trying to decide what to play on my Steam Deck when it gets here.
beautiful! :)
also, thats how I like my summer: snowy. :D

Don’t. Buy. Ubisoft. Games.

That is all.
havent done that for a few years now, dont plan to resume. either way, thats a shit move, but hopefully people will make enough noise to overthink that.

Clap your hands if you find the new YT layout awful (video description and comments are not under the video anymore, you have to expand them, scrolling just scrolls the recommended videos on the right)

Looks like YT only wants you in new videos and any time spend on your current video is time that they want you in another video.
the layout didnt change for me (yet?) maybe they roll it out randomly?

Ironic, Epic moneyhatted 3 Annapurna games, but the big one (Stray) is not even releasing on Epic as of right now.
maybe theyre one of those devs that only use the egs when paid for it? :shrugblob:
anyway, couldnt care less about the existance of that store nowadays :)

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I managed to salvage some old save by fucking up the cloud saves and hving my local deck save overwrite those

also I hope Bamco/koei port that Kaiju Monater Ranchef game

Should I play Iceborne or skip to Rise ?
I can't decide :anguished-face:
MH world and iceborne are high budget MH, if you enjoyed it up to now I’d go with iceborne?
MH rise is lower budget but has slightly more refined gameplay

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I still have no idea what the fuck a touhou is

The best way I can put it is the creepy anime dolls that some people loved in the aughts, those anime dolls. That what's Touhou drawings reminds of
If it makes you feel better, the vast majority of Touhou games on Steam and consoles are not "official" and can deviate pretty heavily from the mainline personalities (or how little they have). Touhou is a rare case of a very lax copyright where its author (which goes by the nickname ZUN) let's most indie developers use the Touhou name, cast and setting (provided some basic rules are followed), which in turn caused a massive amount of "Touhou" games in many different genres, but in the end each developer injects it's own twist on the gameplay, the cast personalities or the setting. That's why there is a "Touhou Megaman", "Touhou Super Robot Wars", "Touhou Battle Network", "Touhou Metroidvania" (or Touhou Classicvania) and the list is honestly never ending
The only "official" Touhou products are games from ZUN are shumps like this or this, a series of Touhou fighters as well as some official novels or comics (which are usually drawn by different artists). And honestly the story is very limited and hard to follow unless you go very deep on ancient japanese mythology

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Im curious why. I mean, they are not even releasing games there anymore.
Most likely saw the numbers on the platform and considered it wasn't worth the effort to keep running 2 versions at the same time (patches, specific error based on platform, etc...)
Diofield Chronicle releases on Sep 22nd in Japan. Probably a simultaneous worldwide release?
Steam says September 23 so I would say that's likely the WW release date

Status
Not open for further replies.