Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheThunder

Jun 27, 2024
For the people that have an experience with Steam's game storage management and Windows drives I have a question:

If I change the drives letter in windows (from F: to D: for example) will everything continue to work normally or will either Steam or Windows freak out and won't launch the games because their file path has been changed ?

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Apparently PC Gaming wouldn't be where it is today if it didn't ape off the amazing Nintendo Switch

That's enough internet for me today
You understand that the one time password that site sends you every week or so is basically the universe trying to tell you to close the tab and do something else right?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
What one time code?
I'm guessing it's era? Maybe? I have my sent up for once a month. You can't stayed signed in "indefinitely" like you can on Meta. Not since that one company purchased era.

You have to do a 2 step verification to sign in to era. It's 100% enforced and very very inconvenient. Which is why I stay off it a few days/weeks when ever that happens.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
When you say stuff like this you should at least link what you're referencing to. Others might want to also have a good laugh. Don't be selfish.
I was thinking this was on Resetera. Now I want to see this as well.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
If I change the drives letter in windows (from F: to D: for example) will everything continue to work normally or will either Steam or Windows freak out and won't launch the games because their file path has been changed ?
I haven't done it, but after you've changed the letter I think all you would need to do in Steam is to add a "new" storage drive and just pick the drive\folder with the changed letter and steam should automatically discover the games. You might have to restart steam.

Alternately, you can just edit the settings file where the Steam saves the storage locations.
Just close down steam, do the drive letter swap in Windows, then find the libraryfolders.vdf file (probably) at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\, open it in notepad, change the drive letter there too and save the file. And everything should be good when you start Steam again.

• This!
Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
You have to do a 2 step verification to sign in to era. It's 100% enforced and very very inconvenient. Which is why I stay off it a few days/weeks when ever that happens.
news to me. Maybe a new user thing?
Just checked, and it's set to disabled for me, same as on MeatCouncil

Reactions: lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
My wild wild guess. About what the post is about about UMPCs and the Switch. UMPCs predate the Switch. Hell the Switch itself is a mix of of the Nvidia Shield. It even uses the Tegra X1 as well.

So had the Switch played a role? Not really. Did Nintendo play a role? Sure since Nintendo has done handhelds for decades now.

I'm guessing that is the connection that they are trying to make. There has also been other news about the Switch 2 and stuff. Maybe people are also starting to feel like the Switch 2 won't sell as well as the Switch 1. Which is a possibility. My wild guess is that Switch 2 will sell less than Switch 1 but only by maybe 10-15 million units. It will still sell over 100 million units though. After all some people buy multiple units.

Part of the reasons why there was not that may UMPCs prior to the Steam Deck and why they were very niche and needed Kickstarter and IndiGogo. Was because the market just was not that big. They were very expensive and also not a lot of support for them from other third parties. Look at the Steam Deck. It's also proven to be a useful marketing tool. Back during say the GPDWin2 days was SEGA going out of its way to say that the games like Yakuza 0 would run great on the system and in some cases even doing give away for the GPDWin2?

The Steamboy was one of the more earlier ideas for the current UMPCs that we currently have. And even then the pseudo ideas of a Steam handheld exist during the development of the Steam Controller. But the main thing is that the technology was simple not there yet. The Switch is a nice idea and has good battery life but it comes at the price of performance. For Nintendo that was never really an issue. They value efficiency which is what they were able to get out of the switch and is also why a lot of AAA titles don't get released on the Switch until years later if at all. Typically handled by some third party port house or in the form of a cloud game. If people wanted to use they could say that Nintendo was able to get to something before others but it came at a cost. 100+ million units of the Switch were sold but you also have 100+ million copies of the Switch that are not able to play Breath of the Wild at 60fps.
I'll check if it gives me the option to disable it. I've been a user of era since 2018 and it was only earlier this year when it started to do that for some reason.

Reactions: yuraya

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
When you say stuff like this you should at least link what you're referencing to. Others might want to also have a good laugh. Don't be selfish.
I was thinking this was on Resetera. Now I want to see this as well.
It's this Time Extension article: Does Video Game History have a Nintendo Problem?

My account is old and it's disabled in my settings but I get it as well every few weeks. Think it might be based on account activity (and in my case the lack of it.)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I was partially right about my assumption. Everything else ..... Wow they are on something. Nintendo is underrated?????? How? Just how? If you ever go to places like Retro game stores they 100% will have something Nintendo be highly visible. Or maybe this is one of those individuals that's not happy in Smash Bros when they add another Fire Emblem game and not a character from a niche JRPG game that Nintendo helped publish or something.

Given how long Sakurai has been around, and all the games he's played I'd imagine he would call out that dude on his BS.

• This!
Reactions: moemoneyb1

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Katawa Shoujo coming to steam.

An old pre-rendered GFL2 trailer was also uploaded for the EN. Some character designs have changed in the main game nonetheless a great trailer. Love the double tapping.

Last edited:
Reactions: ExistentialThought

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Nintendo is overrated.
To an extent I do agree with this. Nintendo does have a history of making good products, but we also can't just pretend that they never make mistakes and have games that basically bomb.

Anyway I feel like some of that may or may not change in the future. It's been less than 50 years that Nintendo has been making video games right? Or something like that. So as of right now you still have a lot of people that grew up with that Nintendo and those are typically the die hard Nintendo fans. The ones that collect NES and SNES stuff. The reason that I bring that up is that in the future maybe things change and Nintendo in a way becomes more "underrated" since some of those older Nintendo fans have passed away of old age/other reasons and younger kids just aren't as interested in Nintendo. You still have kids that like Nintendo but at the same time I feel like maybe they are not as "prominent" to as many young kids? Stuff like Pokemon is still very popular and sells very well, but it will never be at the same level as Pokemon was in the 90s. Which is where some of these "Nintendo adults" (think of Disney Adults, which people don't like) come from. The 90s also seems to be where the whole "console war" thing really took off, especially outside of Japan. There are documentaries dedicated to the subject mater.

Fortnite and Minecraft along with things like Roblox and other stuff are also very popular and those don't have anything to do with Nintendo and that's what young kids are eating up with maybe the occasional Nintendo game thrown in there. But not the main ingredient for all. Like it was in the past. My nephew is 15 and he plays on his switch but as far as I'm aware he mainly plays Fortnite on it with his cousin.

Speaking of the Switch, this is one of those things where it's only after all this time that I'm realizing more than people grew up with the Switch. It came out when they were in Elementary School and they are now in Highschool or something similar (time lapse wise) since it's been over 7+ years now.

Compared to when I was in elementary and went to highschool it was completely different. By the time I got to middle schooloat people just flat out stopped playing on the DS. By the time I got to highschool was when the rise of the iPhone was happening and even less people were playing on the DS. If you played on the DS/3DS you were basically an outcast. You were essentially an Otaku since those were the only people in highschool that were playing on those. Compared to the Switch where "it's cool"? I was part of that whole Ground Zero thing for influencer and when all of that stuff was still just tech starts ups looking for angle investors. Stuff like Twitch was still in its early stages (post Justin TV) and people were now starting to be able to make money off "making content". This stuff has since been extremely normalized. Which is also why it takes people by surprise when people find out that anime and stuff is now very popular and normalized in places. I got back into anime/manga during that transition period of where it was becoming more and more popular and more easily accessible. The same goes with super hero movies. And all of that. You had Star Wars which even in the early 2000s was still considered weird and very nerd/geek like. But by the end of Revenge of the Sith that was not really the case anymore. By the time that The Force Awakens came out, and post 2012 Disney buying Marvel and Star Wars, those things had moved from being just nerdy.

Stuff changes a lot.

I myself would also be interested in "collecting" Nintendo stuff as well but what would mainly be from the Nintendo DS/3DS time period of Nintendo. And maybe a little bit of the GBA and GameCube are as well. Their N64 and stuff before doesn't really interest me that much. The Wii had some cool stuff but once again. Not something that I would really go out of my way to get.

Other stuff I feel like had I kept on going with my Computer Science degree years and years ago instead of dropping out, I would have joined one of these companies. But looking back on it some of them have committed a lot of fraud over the years. Others have gone belly up. And it just feels like the "dream is dead". And now it's all about chasing the AI trend. The market just feels way to over saturated?

Reactions: moemoneyb1

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
To an extent I do agree with this. Nintendo does have a history of making good products, but we also can't just pretend that they never make mistakes and have games that basically bomb.

Anyway I feel like some of that may or may not change in the future. It's been less than 50 years that Nintendo has been making video games right? Or something like that. So as of right now you still have a lot of people that grew up with that Nintendo and those are typically the die hard Nintendo fans. The ones that collect NES and SNES stuff. The reason that I bring that up is that in the future maybe things change and Nintendo in a way becomes more "underrated" since some of those older Nintendo fans have passed away of old age/other reasons and younger kids just aren't as interested in Nintendo. You still have kids that like Nintendo but at the same time I feel like maybe they are not as "prominent" to as many young kids? Stuff like Pokemon is still very popular and sells very well, but it will never be at the same level as Pokemon was in the 90s. Which is where some of these "Nintendo adults" (think of Disney Adults, which people don't like) come from. The 90s also seems to be where the whole "console war" thing really took off, especially outside of Japan. There are documentaries dedicated to the subject mater.

Fortnite and Minecraft along with things like Roblox and other stuff are also very popular and those don't have anything to do with Nintendo and that's what young kids are eating up with maybe the occasional Nintendo game thrown in there. But not the main ingredient for all. Like it was in the past. My nephew is 15 and he plays on his switch but as far as I'm aware he mainly plays Fortnite on it with his cousin.

Speaking of the Switch, this is one of those things where it's only after all this time that I'm realizing more than people grew up with the Switch. It came out when they were in Elementary School and they are now in Highschool or something similar (time lapse wise) since it's been over 7+ years now.

Compared to when I was in elementary and went to highschool it was completely different. By the time I got to middle schooloat people just flat out stopped playing on the DS. By the time I got to highschool was when the rise of the iPhone was happening and even less people were playing on the DS. If you played on the DS/3DS you were basically an outcast. You were essentially an Otaku since those were the only people in highschool that were playing on those. Compared to the Switch where "it's cool"? I was part of that whole Ground Zero thing for influencer and when all of that stuff was still just tech starts ups looking for angle investors. Stuff like Twitch was still in its early stages (post Justin TV) and people were now starting to be able to make money off "making content". This stuff has since been extremely normalized. Which is also why it takes people by surprise when people find out that anime and stuff is now very popular and normalized in places. I got back into anime/manga during that transition period of where it was becoming more and more popular and more easily accessible. The same goes with super hero movies. And all of that. You had Star Wars which even in the early 2000s was still considered weird and very nerd/geek like. But by the end of Revenge of the Sith that was not really the case anymore. By the time that The Force Awakens came out, and post 2012 Disney buying Marvel and Star Wars, those things had moved from being just nerdy.

Stuff changes a lot.

I myself would also be interested in "collecting" Nintendo stuff as well but what would mainly be from the Nintendo DS/3DS time period of Nintendo. And maybe a little bit of the GBA and GameCube are as well. Their N64 and stuff before doesn't really interest me that much. The Wii had some cool stuff but once again. Not something that I would really go out of my way to get.

Other stuff I feel like had I kept on going with my Computer Science degree years and years ago instead of dropping out, I would have joined one of these companies. But looking back on it some of them have committed a lot of fraud over the years. Others have gone belly up. And it just feels like the "dream is dead". And now it's all about chasing the AI trend. The market just feels way to over saturated?
Yeah I remember middle school being the time when kids would show up to school with iphones. By the time I got to highschool I was maybe part of a handful of people that had a 3DS.

Reactions: PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Yeah I remember middle school being the time when kids would show up to school with iphones. By the time I got to highschool I was maybe part of a handful of people that had a 3DS.
Some stuff that I do remember is that there was actually a group of us (maybe less than 10 people) that were getting back into Pokemon after so many hears. How ever the thing was that some of us were playing the DS games and also some of us where playing the GBA games against each other. It wasn't something that was constant but was something that we could arrange. Some people did have PSPs, but I think I only knew of one person that has a PS Vita in my highschool. I didn't buy my Vita until I got to college and even then there wasn't many people playing on a handheld at all. If anything they were using gaming laptops to play some games. Funny enough I remember in college that this one guy purchased a switch day one and he also got the Breath of the Wild SE (not the CE). And we did gather around him and asking what he thought about it. He was not a student but more like a staff member of the college and he didn't get to play it much that day. If anything I think in the 10 minutes that I played the game I played more than he had that day. But yeah in generally it was hard to find handheld users. Also during my time in highschool it seemed like the shift had moved on to the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and CoD. That is what all of my friends were playing. They were playing Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox 360 during highschool. I had a 360 but I never purchased a CoD game for the 360. My friends let me borrow their copy. This was also the Wii U era and I didn't really know anyone that owned a Wii U asides from maybe 3-4 people but that was it.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Nintendo is overrated.
I have zero nostalgia or favoritism toward any of the console makers but given the chance I'd rather play almost anything nintendo released rather than any sony or ms games, so maybe them being rated highly isn't that surprising. It's the preconception of "nintendo can do no wrong" or "nintendo invented X" that rubs me the wrong way and just shows how uneducated some are and how little knowledge they have of what exists outside their chosen ecosystem.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Nintendo is overrated.
Well, with any company it is important to stay a little critical and not gush over them. That said, I think it's undeniable that of all the big three platform owners, Ninty has kinda managed to do the most with its IP. Their big franchises, Mario, Zelda and so on, are still quite well regarded, with few if any bombs. They manage to maintain a huge audience and make sure to hit many different genres and target groups, and they are not interested in chasing any dumb trend and stick to what they know best. While they might not be the number one in terms of revenue, I think in sheer profitability, they might be unbeaten.
I am kinda glad that Nintendo exists, and the industry would be a much more boring place without them.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Nintendo relies mostly on one thing, and it's making really safe and (mostly) polished games.
They are pretty much the Ubisoft of Japan honestly... especially considering how they deleted 40+ year old franchises to make... Ubisoft games from a decade ago.

But a lot of their design decisions are questionnable, and it's largely because most of it happened in the past and people have forgotten (and "conveniently" skip them).
People are quick to praise them for their use of franchises... then you look at Starfox or F Zero, or even the Mario spinoffs that somehow need to reinvent themselves every time and have been dragged in the mud for decades and relinquished to third parties with no time nor budget.
Sometimes it works like Mario+Rabbids, but that's usually when they have a vision offered to them.
Try being a fan of Mario Tennis, Golf, Paper Mario... or their countless IPs that have rotted away for 30 years.

Take a look at what is still popular on Switch, beside their two big names: Smash Bros, Mario Kart are literally 10 years old. Animal Crossing got fuck all for support, despite being a clone of a clone of a clone. Let alone all the successful games like Mario Party... Remake after the worst in a franchise that is 90% garbage, or Paper Mario TTYD Remake... after the worst in a franchise that is 90% garbage.
Or Mario RPG Remake... and Luigi's Mansion 2 Remake, and Metroid Prime Remake, and etc etc. Thankfully the remakes are good, because if you remove 10+ years old games from the Switch library, it shrinks an awful lot.

And in general discourse, the other big problem is that people have forgotten or are simply not here anymore to remember when franchises were not unique and had inspirations and competitors.
Here I can't blame anyone, but once upon a time, Sega had just as many great options. Shining Force I always considered to be far superior to Fire Emblem.

And that's for "recent" history from the 90s, I can read right now on the French Wikipedia that Fire Emblem was the first tactical RPG. There were Japanese tactical RPGs on the NES years prior. And... you know, the entirety of older Japanese home computers at the time have been very effectively erased from history from "forums", nobody wants to remember the various NEC, Sharp X1 or MSX&co. Let alone their even older Western inspirations, Ultima and Wizardry are just old names like Pacman now... not the building blocks.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished Kunitsu-Gami after ~14 hours. Not going to bother with New Game+ because I want to buy it on Steam at some point and do it there. An incredibly creative title that is one of the best I've played this year.

Ironically, two of the best games I've played this year have been smaller scale titles from AAA companies (the other being the new Prince of Persia).

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
" history from the 90s, I can read right now on the French Wikipedia that Fire Emblem was the first tactical RPG. There were Japanese tactical RPGs on the NES years prior. And... you know, the entirety of older Japanese home computers at the time have been very effectively erased from history from "forums", nobody wants to remember the various NEC, Sharp X1 or MSX&co. Let alone their even older Western inspirations, Ultima and Wizardry are just old names like Pacman now... not the building blocks.

Never forget that even stuff like The Legend of Zelda was inspired by other games like that one Falcom game and that one other game for computers. I forget the name it's called Black Rock or something like that. That one dude in the Tetris movie was involved with the development of that game and that dude himself also has ties to Nintendo.

I think there is also supposed to be a museum for older Japanese games that can only be played on those older PC that you are talking about and stuff that is even older in Japan. But I can't remember the name of the place.

Reactions: thekeats1999

TheThunder

Jun 27, 2024
For the people that have an experience with Steam's game storage management and Windows drives I have a question:

I haven't done it, but after you've changed the letter I think all you would need to do in Steam is to add a "new" storage drive and just pick the drive\folder with the changed letter and steam should automatically discover the games. You might have to restart steam.

Alternately, you can just edit the settings file where the Steam saves the storage locations.
Just close down steam, do the drive letter swap in Windows, then find the libraryfolders.vdf file (probably) at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\, open it in notepad, change the drive letter there too and save the file. And everything should be good when you start Steam again.
I tried it and I didn't even have to to change Steam/storage settings to add the "new" drive, it automatically recognized that this D: drive is the old F: drive. Couple of games had to be manually configured again and I had to change the desktop icons again after they all became the generic Windows "blank" but overall it worked well.

• Comfy
Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I tried it and I didn't even have to to change Steam/storage settings to add the "new" drive, it automatically recognized that this D: drive is the old F: drive. Couple of games had to be manually configured again and I had to change the desktop icons again after they all became the generic Windows "blank" but overall it worked well.

:wd_warren:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
My wild wild guess. About what the post is about about UMPCs and the Switch. UMPCs predate the Switch. Hell the Switch itself is a mix of of the Nvidia Shield. It even uses the Tegra X1 as well.

So had the Switch played a role? Not really. Did Nintendo play a role? Sure since Nintendo has done handhelds for decades now.

I'm guessing that is the connection that they are trying to make. There has also been other news about the Switch 2 and stuff. Maybe people are also starting to feel like the Switch 2 won't sell as well as the Switch 1. Which is a possibility. My wild guess is that Switch 2 will sell less than Switch 1 but only by maybe 10-15 million units. It will still sell over 100 million units though. After all some people buy multiple units.

Part of the reasons why there was not that may UMPCs prior to the Steam Deck and why they were very niche and needed Kickstarter and IndiGogo. Was because the market just was not that big. They were very expensive and also not a lot of support for them from other third parties. Look at the Steam Deck. It's also proven to be a useful marketing tool. Back during say the GPDWin2 days was SEGA going out of its way to say that the games like Yakuza 0 would run great on the system and in some cases even doing give away for the GPDWin2?

The Steamboy was one of the more earlier ideas for the current UMPCs that we currently have. And even then the pseudo ideas of a Steam handheld exist during the development of the Steam Controller. But the main thing is that the technology was simple not there yet. The Switch is a nice idea and has good battery life but it comes at the price of performance. For Nintendo that was never really an issue. They value efficiency which is what they were able to get out of the switch and is also why a lot of AAA titles don't get released on the Switch until years later if at all. Typically handled by some third party port house or in the form of a cloud game. If people wanted to use they could say that Nintendo was able to get to something before others but it came at a cost. 100+ million units of the Switch were sold but you also have 100+ million copies of the Switch that are not able to play Breath of the Wild at 60fps.

I'll check if it gives me the option to disable it. I've been a user of era since 2018 and it was only earlier this year when it started to do that for some reason.

I mean you can give Nintendo credit for pioneering handheld gaming in the past and all but I don't really see how it has much influence on current day PC gaming.

PC gamers have been playing on portable devices long before the Switch. Laptops have been around for a while.

But imo this is all about technology and not Nintendo. It never made sense to make a PC handheld until the tech was there. From the GPDwin to the Deck...once that tech arrived it actually became possible to create a handheld.

The tech now exists where you can play AAA games on Deck with ease. Something you still can't do for most big games on Switch. Its never been like that in the past because the hardware didn't exist. And Valve doing work with SteamOS actually made it all more convenient than the slog that is windows.

Nintendo is way too slow to adapt to technology. As a result I can't give them more than like 5% credit for what is happening now in the PC handheld space. Valve, AMD, Nvidia and numerous other hardware companies around the world deserve more credit. Also the weird joycon stuff should take a few points away from Nintendo if anything.

For Valve it made sense to make a Deck because they started seeing so many indie games that first pop up on Steam...start to sell really well on the Switch. So ofc Valve would rather Steam users have an option to play them on the go as well. They would rather Steam users spend more money on games via Steam than spend money on other hardware like Switch.

You can give Nintendo credit for a creating a market there I guess but this was very normal competitive move from Valve.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I mean you can give Nintendo credit for pioneering handheld gaming in the past and all but I don't really see how it has much influence on current day PC gaming.

PC gamers have been playing on portable devices long before the Switch. Laptops have been around for a while.

But imo this is all about technology and not Nintendo. It never made sense to make a PC handheld until the tech was there. From the GPDwin to the Deck...once that tech arrived it actually became possible to create a handheld.

The tech now exists where you can play AAA games on Deck with ease. Something you still can't do for most big games on Switch. Its never been like that in the past because the hardware didn't exist. And Valve doing work with SteamOS actually made it all more convenient than the slog that is windows.

Nintendo is way too slow to adapt to technology. As a result I can't give them more than like 5% credit for what is happening now in the PC handheld space. Valve, AMD, Nvidia and numerous other hardware companies around the world deserve more credit. Also the weird joycon stuff should take a few points away from Nintendo if anything.

For Valve it made sense to make a Deck because they started seeing so many indie games that first pop up on Steam...start to sell really well on the Switch. So ofc Valve would rather Steam users have an option to play them on the go as well. They would rather Steam users spend more money on games via Steam than spend money on other hardware like Switch.

You can give Nintendo credit for a creating a market there I guess but this was very normal competitive move from Valve.
The last part. There seems to be more to it. Back in 2017 if you made an indie game for the Switch you hit a gold mine. People were going crazy over Breath of the Wild and there was not much else on the Switch at the time. It was not BC so you wouldn't play older games on it. Third party support from big name devs was also limited (even the Game Freak were not sure about the success of the Switch and didn't have a Pokemon game ready for it, for a few years).

This lasted up until 2019. By this game if you had an indie game it was in the Switch but also by this time the market was very over saturated as well. The Steam Deck seems to have been in the pipeline since 2018 right? Or was it 2017? Is it safe to assume that by 2019 they had more than enough data and were confident that they could do something similar in a smaller scale? Since the Steam Deck is definitely not hitting 100+ million units sold.

It seems like even Sony likely was thinking of doing something similar but were not very confident on doing another dedicated handheld since that would cost a lot of money a lot of time. Given what they saw with the switch and the Steam Deck and how there already existed steaming accessories like the backbone and other stuff. They decided that would be the safest route for now.

You had Sony devs that liked UMPC, Corey had a GPDWin and was using it to play the Witcher 3.

So many different elements at play.

RIP Xbox 360. I didn't end up buying certain DLC can you even buy the BC DLC?

Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The last part. There seems to be more to it. Back in 2017 if you made an indie game for the Switch you hit a gold mine. People were going crazy over Breath of the Wild and there was not much else on the Switch at the time. It was not BC so you wouldn't play older games on it. Third party support from big name devs was also limited (even the Game Freak were not sure about the success of the Switch and didn't have a Pokemon game ready for it, for a few years).

This lasted up until 2019. By this game if you had an indie game it was in the Switch but also by this time the market was very over saturated as well. The Steam Deck seems to have been in the pipeline since 2018 right? Or was it 2017? Is it safe to assume that by 2019 they had more than enough data and were confident that they could do something similar in a smaller scale? Since the Steam Deck is definitely not hitting 100+ million units sold.

It seems like even Sony likely was thinking of doing something similar but were not very confident on doing another dedicated handheld since that would cost a lot of money a lot of time. Given what they saw with the switch and the Steam Deck and how there already existed steaming accessories like the backbone and other stuff. They decided that would be the safest route for now.

You had Sony devs that liked UMPC, Corey had a GPDWin and was using it to play the Witcher 3.

From Valve's point of view there is probably a lot of people working there that believe Steam is largely responsible for the modern day indie boom. So for them seeing so many people buying Steam games again on Switch months after release to play it because they are "perfect" for handheld...pushed Valve to act quickly. Switch proved that there is a market for this and Valve wasn't gonna give up that market entirely to Nintendo. The technology is there so Valve has the opportunity to make sure they retain not only Steam users but Steam purchasers are as well. Even if they can retain like 10-20% of that market long term it is still a benefit to them as those people will be spending $$$ in the Valve ecosystem indefinitely.

Also I still think Sony does a handheld. Fairly soon imo too because I don't see them sitting there for 2 straight generations and letting Nintendo dominate market with back to back 100+ million hardware handheld sales. It would be the saddest shit from someone like Sony especially when the technology is now there for them to make a legitimate handheld that can play their 1st party games. They did the Playstation Portable back in the day after all the years Nintendo dominated the handheld scene....and the PSP was very successful. I mean they can't sit there today and watch the Deck run Ghost of Tsushima at 60fps and think to themselves its not possible anymore. Sony fanboys are defeatist when it comes to this stuff but there has to be someone working at Sony who wants to actually compete. Not even against Valve too but directly taking some shots at Nintendo and stealing a market from them has to be a strategy in the making. The handheld tech is going to improve so much in the coming years too. The big three will all soon be able to make a 300-400$ handheld that will easily run all AAA games by console standards.

So yea either the rumored PS4 portable or some other big handheld...I expect them to push out something big in the coming years. The fact that there is actual demand for their Portal streaming shit should also be a sign that the handheld gaming market is thriving right now.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I just nee a mouse that's reliable for years, why she wants to put AI on a mouse or dumb subscription. I'm very satisfied with my G203 but if this is the course they are going to take Logitech I don't see myself buying another of their products.
Some good news:

Starstruck finally has a release date

Did they change the art style or something? I remember a game that looked vaguely familiar but was 2d rather than 3D.

Are they going after Valve next? And if so is Timmy going to back these guys up and say how evil Valve is for not allowing them to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.