Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Strange story this. It doesn't even sound like they had any big bombs, or anything in the like. The parent company that owned them, Ziff Davis, just wanted to see very fast returns, like they were running a magazine or something, and when they understood that in games you need to wait a couple years to see returns, they just bailed and wanted to sell the company. Given the current market, of course no one is interested in buying video game publishers, so they just fired everyone and are keeping it alive for bookkeeping purposes. Maybe a tax write off at some point in the future, but that's it.
While they claim that the current games they are publishing a safe, if you read between the lines, it's clear that this is complete nonsense. Ziff Davis wants to run none of this, so those devs are not going to see a penny anymore and will probably get their contracts cancelled, unless they are already very close to release .

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
The parent company that owned them, Ziff Davis, just wanted to see very fast returns, like they were running a magazine or something, and when they understood that in games you need to wait a couple years to see returns, they just bailed and wanted to sell the company. Given the current market, of course no one is interested in buying video game publishers, so they just fired everyone and are keeping it alive for bookkeeping purposes. Maybe a tax write off at some point in the future, but that's it.
Investors being stupid and not realizing what they're investing in? No way

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
The other thing is, why not keep a skeleton staff of people who where already dealing with the other Devs. Instead they have outsourced to a third party.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Strange story this. It doesn't even sound like they had any big bombs, or anything in the like.
It's not exactly scientific but you can see the CCU numbers of all their games on Steam and gauge their relative success. Since 2022 they've released 17 games on Steam. 2 of them were hugely successful (Temtem - 40k CCU and Coral Island - 15k CCU). All of the other 15 games didn't cross 1k CCU. Some of them are even in 2 digits or low 3 digits. I would guess those games didn't make their money back. Even their acclaimed games like Prodeus or Signalis only managed 700-800 CCU. Their latest few games since Coral Island are particularly low. So it probably wasn't a thriving business and cost of capital is high so companies are more risk averse.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It all comes back to interest rates, a lot of projects that were viable under a low interest environment suddenly become a whole lot riskier. Hence everything being shut down, selling off, or massively shrunk down in scope.

That said, Humble absolutely published some great games and it will be a lost to not have them backing some smaller games. We may never of gotten something such as Slay the Spire which was hugely transformative to the deck builder genre.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It's EDF day! Let's see how the launch is goin...sigh
You'd figure that developers would know that if you're going to use EOS, to not have the version that prompts users to link their account. Most Steam users will tolerate EOS if it's invisible, but showing them anything related to Epic is a terrible idea. Dumb mistake, especially after the Helldivers 2 fallout.

Funny thing is I know EDF 6 is available on EGS, but not in my region (a small country you may have heard of called The United States of America).

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Extreme "This could have been you" energy.
Have you actually played EDF ? It never, in a million years could have been Helldivers 2. That's like comparing a 5-year-old that's barely learned how to not fall from their bike with, I dunno, Chris Froome, who won the Tour de France four times.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Have you actually played EDF ? It never, in a million years could have been Helldivers 2. That's like comparing a 5-year-old that's barely learned how to not fall from their bike with, I dunno, Chris Froome, who won the Tour de France four times.
Helldivers 2 has a lot more budget, but take that aside and i don't see how the two series aren't slotting into the exact same, specific niche.
My point is that EDF as a serie could have easily become this big if the publisher would have tried to go big with the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.