Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I have my eye on Anger Foot and Gestalt: Steam & Cinder this month but they'll have to wait for me to finish Talos 2 DLC and Elden Ring DLC first.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
PC Gaming is Saved

It's a Gacha.

Note me down as incredibly fucking wary after how the last one went.

Well at least this one doesn't look like a half-assed Fate/Grand Order reskin. ...Just a direct clone of HSR instead.
Madoka Star Rail

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Apparently Kakarot got a random update and added a new Sub-Story called "Legendary Super Satan" LMAO WHAT???
Probably not as weird as it sounds? I'm not a fan and only casually watched bits here & there but DB's Satan is just some comic relief dude of occasional import:

Reactions: QFNS

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Those Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2 speedruns at SGDQ were a lot of fun.

Its a shame Nintendo never let Platinum release them on Steam. Both games @120+ fps would have been great.

Also I keep forgetting that there was a Bayonetta 3 lol. It really came and went huh. Didn't have anywhere near the same fanfare/reception as the first two.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I said that I will not play any gacha game ever again, so not going to play ZZZ or Madoka. However, both look nice and should be fun to play, and they are probably very expensive to develop and market. Meanwhile, the business model really does not sit well with me. It is gambling, literally, and it creates tribalism. People put in big bucks into the game they love which turn them into warriors and attack other fans. The mechanism of paying for your waifu and husbando only further enhance the feeling of commitment which really makes some people go to the length of starting nonsensical dramas. I don't mean to criticise how someone enjoy certain things, but in my opinion gacha games sometimes really bring out the worst side of videogame players.

Meanwhile, this is a bit embarrassing to admit but Girl's Frontline 2 looks really attractive to me because I was once a big fan of the original game. Mica writes great story and characters, and I generally like the character designs. In GFL2 the character models look gorgeous and gameplay being xcom-like is icing on the cake. Honestly I was really conflicted if I should dive in once it hits global because of the aforementioned scammy business model.

Now that I lay out my thought. The answer is probably obvious. Yes, I want to play it, but not without rules. Maybe I will just treat it as a premium game, paying a cost right at the start and restraint myself from MTX and buying cosmetics as much as possible. My favorite GFL character is a common character (and she is in GFL2 as well!) so this will help me stick to the plan.

Edit: To illustrate how good the game looks, here is Lenna, one of the rare units you can pull from the game. She receives lots of screen time in the main story of GFL1 so very popular character. The developers really did justice to her in GFL2.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Now you have my curiosity. How deep are the mechanics? Squad-based, base building, tech trees, etc? :flare_think:
Yeah, 4-5 dolls per squad depending on the map / mission type. Dolls are classified into 4 types, assault, vanguard, defense and support, with different skills and elements which complement to each other. Progression mainly focuses on characters' level, skill tree and weapon customization. Like most gacha games these mean infinite grinding. GFL1 was known to be one of the more difficult gacha games and had some tough-as-nails optional stages for the most hardcore players which took hours to complete. It seems like they are not present in GFL2 yet.

One thing to note is that characters' unqiue weapon is acquired through gacha (same gacha pool with the character). I heard the game is generous enough by giving out a lot of gacha tickets to frequent players but this is an annoyance to people who want to give the best weapon to their favorite characters.

Also no base-building (yet?) as player (ex-commander of a pmc who goes mercenary) and the dolls are constantly moving on a mobile base. Main campaign (visual novel segments before and after battles) is fully voiced and the latest story monthly story events are fully voiced as well. There are also occasional pre-rendered or real-time cutscenes.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: Ibuki and Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I heard the game is generous enough by giving out a lot of gacha tickets to frequent players but this is an annoyance to people who want to give the best weapon to their favorite characters.
As long as the game is balanced enough so that you don't really need high-tiered weapons to complete the (later) missions, I feel that this is an acceptable tradeoff.

The rest of the stuff does sound good, though.

Do we know when it will drop on PC?

• This!
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
As long as the game is balanced enough so that you don't really need high-tiered weapons to complete the (later) missions, I feel that this is an acceptable tradeoff.

The rest of the stuff does sound good, though.

Do we know when it will drop on PC?
Yeah, CN server has its own launcher on PC. I doubt the global launch will get rid of it.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Gulp,
I just did that external funds used check on Steam to see how much i've spent (not including external keys)...

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread or react to this post in order to see this content.

Definitely funded a few life jackets for GabeNs yachts.

YunoLumi

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
Last edited:

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Those Astral Chain and Bayonetta 2 speedruns at SGDQ were a lot of fun.

Its a shame Nintendo never let Platinum release them on Steam. Both games @120+ fps would have been great.

Also I keep forgetting that there was a Bayonetta 3 lol. It really came and went huh. Didn't have anywhere near the same fanfare/reception as the first two.
I played Bayonetta 2 on Cemu. Ran great, though the game was a bit disappointing. Definitely a step back from Bayo 1.
Still haven't played Bayo 3.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Pretty unremarkable bundle for me, skip it is.
Requiem is fantastic but I played it in gamepass. But I am still considering getting the bundle to have steam version of it. One of the most technically and artistically accomplished games from graphical perspective.

Reactions: Alexandros

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Can I clam (add to account) a free game that's region locked? Tell Me Why is blocked in here, despite the Life is Strange games available.

Tell me why Square, why? :huhblob:

I have it in my account. I think I add it via some steam://install or steam:// launch command line when it was first made free. I remember it was already blocked then but I can still add it.

https://steamdb.info/app/1180660/ try clicking the install button there.

Edit: If it's not free now you can try it next June I guess. When they're probably going to be free again.

Last edited:
Reactions: texhnolyze

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
The fps nearly doubled with Ratchet wtf.

AMD/Valve need to make this system wide asap.
Damn, Spider-Man, Ratchet and GOT can be locked to 60 with this, it rarely seems to go under that with frame-gen which is awesome. And this is with medium settings.
Forbidden West is asking too much though. It does seem to stay above 30 with FSR performance and low settings, but at that point I'd rather play it on a good PC or a PS5, there's only so much I'm willing to sacrifice for portability.