Community MetaSteam | June 2019 - Microsoft does what Epican't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
So, with ETS2 and ATS success, anyone willing to take a bet that the next SCS game will be EGSclusive?
I mean, they are a prime target for Tim et al.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Anyone else having problems with the Xbox app? Most pages seem to not load and just give me 404 errors?

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Not like this Opera.... Not like this. :(
Opera is long dead. The original company was sold some time back and currently has little to do with the developer we remember.
However, one (some?) of the founders are now working on Vivaldi, which is quite an interesting browser, though way too janky for daily use the last time I tried it (right around the release of 2.0).

Reactions: derExperte
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Rob is back with another great thread

(just posting everything as quote because twitter embeds for threads are fucking annoying ... the embedded tweet is the one he's quote-tweeting and commenting on)

I mean, obviously I'm on team fill your boots as far as the public side of things is concerned, everything's a bit shit, no-one has got any money, go for it etc...

Just, y'know, the business side here.

It's a bit wild but I kinda liked being able to charge for videogames.

A bit more seriously. I don't anticipate this alone to have that much of an influence on pc games as a whole, but as a part of a series of efforts (streaming, subscriptions) it's not going to benefit us in the long term.

It's sort of like an app store letting you ask for a quid is one thing, EA and Gameloft getting into a pissy one over sales and putting 'bigger' games out for that quid, running constant sales is another.

Or like MS twice setting compulsory pricing tiers for indie games. Once with XBLA helping define what can and cannot cost more then doing it again, more brutally, with the cruelly inflexible XBLIG pricing structure.

It's better than the make your game one price of early portals or whatever but still, it takes a long time to unpick this stuff once it's in place and unlike bundles (in their original more idealistic form), I'm not convinced this will be additive.

I might be wrong! Hope so.

The best case scenario here is that it just has an effect on Epic and we carry on elsewhere ignoring it all. It kinda feels like we're in a much more precarious place with an enormous push to subscriptions going on.

And the logical next step of streaming, though I'm not really sold on the idea this will be realistic for quite a few years now but I dunno.

I'm personally more concerned about the squeeze from the shift rightwards and towards austerity measures - that seems more of an immediate threat than streaming.

If you couple that with a push towards subscriptions and everyone giving other people's work away to pad out their customer base, that's where it gets concerning for me.

Not only are you competing with free but spare money being wrapped up in maintaining subs. Which is great if you're running the service, not so much if you're trying to make a go of selling your videogame. It's a lot of pressure on smaller developers.

Obviously we'll just blame it all on people being too tight and spending their money on coffee anyway so we can keep making things worse and sssh.

One of the things that kinds bugs me about the past few years in games is just how disposable indie games are considered. Like you might give an Assassin's Creed away once every 5 years or something. Our games though?

And we're seeing this with Epic. Our work is seen as something you can just use to your own benefit, often. Not just Epic, a certain not-Humble bundle site/store with increasingly larger inventory given away for quite a while.

There's an expectation that you should either sell inventory at a massive discount to a store or offer it up for someone else's promotion.

Like we're just here to be used for someone else's benefit and it's not right. It's only going to get worse in the next few years as subscriptions gain (even more) traction and folks will want to bulk up their catalogue.

That we're "free games" fodder, you know? That word free does a lot of heavy lifting - like it has no cost to us (perception of Steam keys as free games not inventory doesn't help here), gratis to the customer and the expectation of always more of our games coming for free.

It's incredibly exploitative regardless of any "we love devs we do" public statements and fair play to Valve here, a game they haven't played. Having the tools to offer your game for free to benefit yourself is a way apart from this.

I don't blame anyone for taking the money or anything, who knows what sort of things they're having to deal with so whatever. It's the companies who see us as ways to benefit themselves right here and now with no concerns about any knock on effects for us.

That this is so normalised.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Opera is long dead. The original company was sold some time back and currently has little to do with the developer we remember.
However, one (some?) of the founders are now working on Vivaldi, which is quite an interesting browser, though way too janky for daily use the last time I tried it (right around the release of 2.0).
I'm aware of Vivaldi. :)

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Since the sale is approaching, I was wondering what is everyone hoping to buy? Personally I'm looking at getting Battle Brothers, Celeste, Airheart and Feudal Alloy or Timespinner. The "maybe" pile atm is Obra Dinn, Atom RPG and Recore.

While I'm at it, looking at my wishlist I can see some games that might make the jump to that unholy place, namely Eitr (if it ever comes out), Disco Elysium and HK: Silksong. I hope this is just me being paranoid and nothing bad happens.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Finished Remember Me, good game. Starts well, it doesn't keep up in the final chapters where the gameplay just start being boring, and clipping issues / bugs start to appear (plus the places you go aren't half as interesting as the first two chapters) unfortunately, but it ends just right. A shame that Dontnod didn't knew how to use the characters they created other than the main ones, nor the promise of remixing memories. Its one of those games that the potential is there, but budget and time clearly weren't.

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
Since the sale is approaching, I was wondering what is everyone hoping to buy? Personally I'm looking at getting Battle Brothers, Celeste, Airheart and Feudal Alloy or Timespinner. The "maybe" pile atm is Obra Dinn, Atom RPG and Recore.

While I'm at it, looking at my wishlist I can see some games that might make the jump to that unholy place, namely Eitr (if it ever comes out), Disco Elysium and HK: Silksong. I hope this is just me being paranoid and nothing bad happens.
Games that are on sale that reside on my wishlist. I haven’t even really started thinking about it, honestly.

Also, all this Persona talk... bring me Dancing All Night, please!

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Before I got pissed off about their Shenmue commentary, the EZA stream had a pretty decent hypothesis:

After the (deserved) backlash to Anthem and a few other games for showing (now) obviously completely fabricated gameplay sections...maybe all the devs just figured they might as well not show gameplay anymore.

If they just give us shitty CGI trailers, we'll have no frame of reference to claim something was a lie, and we'll have consumers fed completely on the hype of those CGI trailers, and the secondhand account of the games media that get the private demos at the show. No actual gameplay? Less informed consumers.

The more serious hypothesis would probably be that nothing is really ready because of the next-gen console and streaming change.
If that is the reason then E3 should just be done away with so people can show their stuff when they're ready. We shouldn't be punished (twice) because of Anthem.

Is that a stagename for Derrick01 ????
:steam_pig_shocked:
I don't do drugs and I obviously pack a 14'' so that can't be me.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Disco Elysium devs did state that they weren't in favor of exclusive stuff (I was afraid of that one too, but someone pointed out otherwise).

Team Cherry, I'd be astonished if they went the exclusive route. They sell everywhere and they're not struggling or greedy. They've been outrageously generous to their kickstarter backers by giving the huge DLC updates away for free, and apparently Silksong also will be given free to backers which is crazy. I just can't see them doing anything to divide their fans like that. I almost feel bad about it, because we were more than square at a mere $15 for a game that blew away my expectations.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm hoping for GUST titles to be discounted at 75% off. :negative-blob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Grandia looks okay, seems like they chose the most barren spot of the most barren area to show. Not sure about the smoothed sprites, are they using some SAI filter? I hope there's an option for original graphics/filtering. Why base it on the PS version and not the Saturn version which looked better thanks to having more ram for textures? Some areas on PS made no sense as the floor textures tiled weirdly without matching the layout (like paths in the first town), I'll probably get it but it would have been nice if they went beyond the bare minimum. It would have also been cool if they included Grandia: Digital Musem in the bundle.

Xenogears next please. And all other 3D isometric 32bit RPGs! Breath of Fire IV included (this even already has a PC port they could potentially work off of).

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Bloodstained for 25,60€ with either HAPPY2GAME or ISTHEREANYDEAL

I have been thinking about ordering it all afternoon, what do you think? Is it better to wait for reviews? :unsure:

Reactions: Kvik

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
Just went to the local grocery store and deposited all the coins that I had into the Coinstar machine. I got a $45 Steam Wallet code from it.
I’m finding every penny I can as well. I currently have $54 in my Steam wallet. I get paid on the 20th, but I have a lot bills in June. I was supposed to get my summer school money in June, but July it is. Maybe that’s a good thing?

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Third season? Wow, I haven't seen the second one yet. Does it have less teenage romance and drama? That crap put me off during the first season, even though everything else was entertaining enough.
MAN I JUST GOT AROUND TO SEEING THE DOOM ETERNAL GAMEPLAY FROM THE BETHESDA CONFERENCE

THE TRAPS

THE LEVELDESIGN

THE PLATFORMING
I'm watching it right now thanks to this post. All I can say so far is "Holy shit".

I don't want to preorder a game that doesn't have good regional pricing. Guess I'll be forced to do something I don't want to do.

Last edited:

bmdubya

Apr 17, 2019
Been away for a while, nice to be back. Been playing Division 2 again to get raid ready, and checking out some games on Game Pass. Sunset Overdrive is pretty awesome. I think I’ll stick with it. I tried Astroneer, it’s a game I’ve been keeping an eye on for a while. I have a hard time playing games that are like “here is an open world, go do stuff.” Also downloaded Metro, but haven’t started that yet.

I’m hoping to grab Sekiro and Monster Hunter: World.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

I'm looking at my wishlist now and other than the games that aren't released yet, there's not much that I consider a must to pick. There's some games that I'd like to buy if they get a nice discount but hopefully I won't buy as much as I did in the past two sales, though.

So, here's my plan at this moment: I'll certainly pick Oceanhorn, New Star Manager, Rainswept, Zone of Enders, Citystate and Dusk Diver if they get in sale. In my maybe list, NieR, Tropico 6, Super Bomberman R, The Witness, ReCore (just remembered because of your post) and Mega Man X Collection.

r3n4ud

Dr. Boom Boom
Oct 17, 2018
I'm looking at my wishlist now and other than the games that aren't released yet, there's not much that I consider a must to pick. There's some games that I'd like to buy if they get a nice discount but hopefully I won't buy as much as I did in the past two sales, though.

So, here's my plan at this moment: I'll certainly pick Oceanhorn, New Star Manager, Rainswept, Zone of Enders, Citystate and Dusk Diver if they get in sale. In my maybe list, NieR, Tropico 6, Super Bomberman R, The Witness, ReCore (just remembered because of your post) and Mega Man X Collection.
I’d love to pick up Tropico 6, but with the onslaught of dlc on the way, I’ll wait for a complete collection

Reactions: Milena and MJunioR

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
A have a new bad habit these days. I regularly check my whistlist page and scroll down to the bottom, hoping that some of the games will get reduced (regional) pricing. :crying-face:

Is there a way to get notifications when the price of a game gets updated? Totally different from whistlist notifications.

Reactions: MJunioR

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Sea of Thieves has done an amazing job of showing people how Game Pass can be a place to explore and find a new game. That game is built to be social at its core. We may have now said, “Okay, we have an established base inside Game Pass with this. Maybe it’s time for Sea of Thieves to go to Steam.” Players there who haven’t encountered it yet, because they’re not engaged with our storefront — if we put it on Steam they’ll have more people to play with. These are things we’re always thinking about with our franchises. What’s right for Sea of Thieves is probably different from what’s right for Forza.
Did MS just lowkey confirm Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam? lmao

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas

You have good taste. You even minded me of some stuff I would like to add to my list. I just finished Oceanhorn, though I may go back for the last few achievements. It’s a fun, not-too-difficult Zeldalike. Go for it if it’s on sell!

Reactions: xinek and MJunioR

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
A have a new bad habit these days. I regularly check my whistlist page and scroll down to the bottom, hoping that some of the games will get reduced (regional) pricing. :crying-face:

Is there a way to get notifications when the price of a game gets updated? Totally different from whistlist notifications.
Don't think so, unfortunately. I check SteamDB price tracking page every now and then to see if anything interesting has changed but don't think there's a way to even get notified of that.

So, I've been played WWE 2K19 since yesterday and honestly, there isn't many differences at all from the past games, for no one surprises. However, one thing that surprised me is how they managed to fuck up customization. If you ever played SvR, or even the earlier 2K games, you could freely select what moves your wrestler would perform without any restriction; you could select their clothes, customize your entrance, without even paying an in-game currency. This time around EVERYTHING is locked behind a paywall. You can either pay with in-game cash for a specific item (a move usually costs between $5K to $15K, and you get about $2K ~ $5K for every chapter you complete on the myWresler career mode) or you can acquire some juicy loot boxes to unlock random moves, entrances items (songs, movies), and so on. So yeah. To make things worst, the career mode is pretty unbalanced (at least to the point I played), and restrictive.

You have good taste. You even minded me of some stuff I would like to add to my list. I just finished Oceanhorn, though I may go back for the last few achievements. It’s a fun, not-too-difficult Zeldalike. Go for it if it’s on sell!
Thanks! To be honest, Oceanhorn is so cheap thanks to regional pricing that if the summer sale wasn't just around the corner I'd probably buy it full price.

Did MS just lowkey confirm Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam? lmao
Can't wait to see SoT and Forza on Steam, but I feel that it will take a lot longer than we're expecting unfortunately :crying-face:

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Bloodstained for 25,60€ with either HAPPY2GAME or ISTHEREANYDEAL
I have been thinking about ordering it all afternoon, what do you think? Is it better to wait for reviews? :unsure:
It's definitely better than its regional pricing of $63 AUD on Steam. I'd probably still going to wait if GMG will come up with a better offer though, since they charges in AUD so that I don't have to pay currency conversion fees.

Reactions: Echoes

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Gg.deals can send u an email in case a game goes down in price.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.