Community MetaSteam | June 2021 - Alex Kidd in Monetary Mishandling Management DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
lashman Sorry, tweets don't load in my browser so i don't see 'em until i open them in a new tab. My bad. I did post it in the Visual Novels thread at least.

Cacher lashman's like Bruce Banner when it comes to people reading his posts. He's always angry. ;)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Minecraft man, I was exploring the Nether and had to take a quick pause, since the game doesn't pause I exited the world to the manu and a few minutes later I enter in again and the first thing that happens I get a fireball in my face and fall in the lava and loose all my shit! So I just exited the world and deleted it haha! Months of crafting and mining lost!

Good thing that when starting a new world if always feels so fresh and full of possibility!

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Minecraft man, I was exploring the Nether and had to take a quick pause, since the game doesn't pause I exited the world to the manu and a few minutes later I enter in again and the first thing that happens I get a fireball in my face and fall in the lava and loose all my shit! So I just exited the world and deleted it haha! Months of crafting and mining lost!

Good thing that when starting a new world if always feels so fresh and full of possibility!
I wondered off in to the nether once and forgot to store all the important supplies. Died to a fireball and lava as well losing so much important shit. basically all my iron, diamond, food, weapons, armor. So much gold too. Days of grinding gone. Felt bad man.

But that was the last time I made that mistake. Always have several storage near both ends of the portal.

always store important things and only wondered off with a little bit of everything. I forget to check coordinates all the time too so I always get lost and die somewhere. The Nether is great lol.

Reactions: Le Pertti

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Apparently Valve banned private group [UWSL]“Epic Games Sucks[/UWSL]", and thefore Valve does not moderate Steam Community.

It links to rules of the group where first line is:

Seems like example of Valve actually moderating?

The post (linked in lawsuit)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
watched the recent Dropped Frames podcast with Rami Ismail as a guest again. I like it when they talk about Devs, Games, and development, but every time Rami talks about Steam and Cooh and company nod their heads at his "critique" I am further entrenched in my opinion that nearly every (media active) indie dev is an entitled asshole.

30% this, Valve doing nothing that, and Cohh even implied that Valve "stole" 30% from the Valheim devs.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
watched the recent Dropped Frames podcast with Rami Ismail as a guest again. I like it when they talk about Devs, Games, and development, but every time Rami talks about Steam and Cooh and company nod their heads at his "critique" I am further entrenched in my opinion that nearly every (media active) indie dev is an entitled asshole.

30% this, Valve doing nothing that, and Cohh even implied that Valve "stole" 30% from the Valheim devs.
I guess Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are stealing 30% too. Heck, Tim Sweeney is being generous and only stealing 12%!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

I guess that once you get to a certain point you only really care about you. You know the whole, "why do I need them for? I mean I can do this by myself". Some indie devs have done that and it has worked out for them but it doesn't work out for everyone. And the biggest issue is that smaller devs might take what these successful Indies devs had said to heart and try them only for them to not work.

Just remember everyone once I get rich and famous "you can all go to hell for all I care". Because that's what it feels like entitled people say.

Journalist are weird because there does seem to be a number of them (I'm not sure how big of how small) that really don't give a rats bum about video games and are only in "video game journalism" because that was the only available "journalist" job that they were offered (and they might have college debt). Not only do you have people that don't really care about video games talking about video games you also have them basically sharing the exact same information (credit to XYZ) so as long as you can paraphrase what some other gaming site said them you too can be a video game journalist.

How ever there are those that do more than that and do stuff like talk about more obscure titles, those that write reviews for games (that can also be a problem as well) one of our own MC members writes for RPGSite from what I recall and he mainly does reviews I think?

You do have those that also do stuff like interview game devs, which is nice since it can be hard to get a hold of some devs and have them talk about their game and other projects.

As for journalist and influencers they know better than to bite the hand that feeds them, after all it is possible for them to be black listed and then what? With being a game dev you can still keep making games and distribute them some way, but what if you were a big name Twitch streamer and then twitch permabans you? YouTube may still be an option but then you would only be a fraction of the size that you were before.

And as for SIE, Nintendo and MS. You have to understand that that 30% cut comes from the billions of dollars that they spend on hardware dev cost, the cost to promote their hardware and services and to promote your game. Oh wait what's that despite all of that your game ended up selling more copies on Steam compared to other platforms despite those billions that they spent, but you are still okay with that 30% cut? How strange. Maybe those 3 should just change their business model or something.

If you could "betray" (cut business ties?) With SIE, Nintendo, MS, or Valve (let's add EGS in there since they are still growing) you would most likely cut ties with Valve since they are not going to offer you a timed Exclusive deal. They are also not going to spend a few hundred thousand (a million?) To promote your game.

You can smack talk Valve and they won't do jack squat. How ever if you talked very badly about Nintendo they may cut ties with you outright. I could be wrong but with the Nintendo partners program for content creators, if you so much as smack talk about Nintendo then they will end your partnership and I think it had happened to some already. I'd image that being in Japan and smack talking about Nintendo would be a big no no. (Being In Japan and telling people that Nintendo is not that great and other stuff could potentially get you pilled on by Twitter Users?) This could be false information and maybe I just have not looked hard enough but I don't think I have heard about Japanese indie devs "critique" with Sony or Nintendo (but then again I don't think I have heard major complaints against Steam but then again there are smaller Japanese devs that just outright skip a Steam release).

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Not that it makes a difference, but isn't Valheim like a really bad example to bring the whole "Valve Steam 30%" thing? That game appeared to be least pushed by influencers and more of the result of world-of-mouth where the platform plays a huuuuge part.

As for journalists, it is so hard to have a discussion about this because stupid gamergate completed poisoned the well, but yeah, they way several of them go all out when attacking one side while completely ignoring the exact same behavior from the "big guys" is annoying to say the least.

Sidenote: Just realized I won't be able to watch the Ubisoft's train wreck presentation live, crap.

Another random sidenote: Was modifying some partitions on my hard-drives and SMR drives suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
MATCH 3 AND ROGUELIKE DECK BUILDING!?!??! YOU CRAZY SONS OF GUNS ACTUALLY DID IT?!?!?!

Everything shown in the stream will go up or be on here

Last edited:
  • Gib
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and prudis

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I'm only interested in Microsoft's conference to be honest. Sony are not going to announce anything PC related this summer.
E3? sure, they won't
Summer? I think they will announce one most likely, of course, via Blog post.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I guess that once you get to a certain point you only really care about you. You know the whole, "why do I need them for? I mean I can do this by myself". Some indie devs have done that and it has worked out for them but it doesn't work out for everyone. And the biggest issue is that smaller devs might take what these successful Indies devs had said to heart and try them only for them to not work.

Just remember everyone once I get rich and famous "you can all go to hell for all I care". Because that's what it feels like entitled people say.

Journalist are weird because there does seem to be a number of them (I'm not sure how big of how small) that really don't give a rats bum about video games and are only in "video game journalism" because that was the only available "journalist" job that they were offered (and they might have college debt). Not only do you have people that don't really care about video games talking about video games you also have them basically sharing the exact same information (credit to XYZ) so as long as you can paraphrase what some other gaming site said them you too can be a video game journalist.

How ever there are those that do more than that and do stuff like talk about more obscure titles, those that write reviews for games (that can also be a problem as well) one of our own MC members writes for RPGSite from what I recall and he mainly does reviews I think?

You do have those that also do stuff like interview game devs, which is nice since it can be hard to get a hold of some devs and have them talk about their game and other projects.

As for journalist and influencers they know better than to bite the hand that feeds them, after all it is possible for them to be black listed and then what? With being a game dev you can still keep making games and distribute them some way, but what if you were a big name Twitch streamer and then twitch permabans you? YouTube may still be an option but then you would only be a fraction of the size that you were before.

And as for SIE, Nintendo and MS. You have to understand that that 30% cut comes from the billions of dollars that they spend on hardware dev cost, the cost to promote their hardware and services and to promote your game. Oh wait what's that despite all of that your game ended up selling more copies on Steam compared to other platforms despite those billions that they spent, but you are still okay with that 30% cut? How strange. Maybe those 3 should just change their business model or something.

If you could "betray" (cut business ties?) With SIE, Nintendo, MS, or Valve (let's add EGS in there since they are still growing) you would most likely cut ties with Valve since they are not going to offer you a timed Exclusive deal. They are also not going to spend a few hundred thousand (a million?) To promote your game.

You can smack talk Valve and they won't do jack squat. How ever if you talked very badly about Nintendo they may cut ties with you outright. I could be wrong but with the Nintendo partners program for content creators, if you so much as smack talk about Nintendo then they will end your partnership and I think it had happened to some already. I'd image that being in Japan and smack talking about Nintendo would be a big no no. (Being In Japan and telling people that Nintendo is not that great and other stuff could potentially get you pilled on by Twitter Users?) This could be false information and maybe I just have not looked hard enough but I don't think I have heard about Japanese indie devs "critique" with Sony or Nintendo (but then again I don't think I have heard major complaints against Steam but then again there are smaller Japanese devs that just outright skip a Steam release).
Rami was in full "Bitch-eating-cracker" mode. Lambasting Valve for doing the Steam Next Fest to make money from indie devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.