Community MetaSteam | June 2022 - It's Hot Outside! Sit and Play Some Videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Are cards used in mining really as worthless as ppl say? I've heard mixed things regarding this, that they could still be fairly good even after heavy use
Really depends on how well they were maintained. There have been a few looks into this and results have tended to settle on the ol' proceed with caution, especially if it sounds too good to be true, but most importantly, do not overpay.

And really, overpaying has been the tricky part since both new and used GPUs have been absurdly priced for years. Like a used 3060TI going for 300-350USD still seems really high for a card originally released in 2020ish that had an original MSRP of 400USD (granted, 3rd parties were probably closer to 400USD-500USD). Historically, with a new generation just around the corner, we would be seeing used cards going for more reasonable % off MSRP, and experiencing a greater % deprecation. Crypto and GPU shortages have just messed that all up.

This one is timed stamped for Crypto mining comments:

___

Just for fun,

Here is an example from 2017 with folks estimating deprecation of cards available at that time, it is almost cute to look at these days haha:

Using my own 1070TI, that was about ~450USD when I bought it, released in 2017-2018 depending on your view and just doing some silly hand waving math, I probably should be seeing ~60-80% depreciation or a resale of 180USD - 90USD, likely depending on condition yet folks are still selling these for around $250 (and it was even higher last year), which is just wow.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018

There's going to be so many people that go into Darkest Dungeon 2 expecting it to be... Darkest Dungeon 2
I think my take is that they've made a completely different game here and used the DD name. Totally within their right, but its not going to feel the same as DD1 without the LONG missions and grindy hamlet. Also it seems like they chose to sort of get rid of the pokemon-like collect-the-classes and use em thing like XCOM and other games have. Again, also fine, but it doesn't feel very DD to me.

Eh. It's not for me, but that's totally fine. I'm sure it will be well liked. It looks amazing still.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Dualsense feels worse than Xbox series controller, honestly I wish the latter had gyro

• Eyes

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
It’s weird Caligula effect 2 getting EGS release.
For those interested in the first game. Deluxe edition for steam is 50 euros on Instant-gaming (79 euros on Steam)

• Eyes

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Last night I finished episode 1 of Life is Strange 2, which has been in my backlog for a while. But then I got a message that I have to purchase the other 4 episodes. There was no indication at all that I didn't own them already.

Oh well, I bought them for €6.50 on Kinguin (+€0.70 fees + €0.85 other fees, what a shit site!), trying to give Square Enix as little money as possible :devilish:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Last night I finished episode 1 of Life is Strange 2, which has been in my backlog for a while. But then I got a message that I have to purchase the other 4 episodes. There was no indication at all that I didn't own them already.

Oh well, I bought them for €6.50 on Kinguin (+€0.70 fees + €0.85 other fees, what a shit site!), trying to give Square Enix as little money as possible :devilish:
for what it's worth, I think Life is Strange 2 is worth every penny. Hope you have a good time with it,

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018

There's going to be so many people that go into Darkest Dungeon 2 expecting it to be... Darkest Dungeon 2
Yea honestly i dont know what they were even thnking with this.
Not only turning the game into a roguelike, but an uninspired, boring, bogstandard roguelike to boot.
Having an unskippable 30 second forced riding sequence between every encounter was such a garbage idea too.

I think my take is that they've made a completely different game here and used the DD name. Totally within their right, but its not going to feel the same as DD1 without the LONG missions and grindy hamlet. Also it seems like they chose to sort of get rid of the pokemon-like collect-the-classes and use em thing like XCOM and other games have. Again, also fine, but it doesn't feel very DD to me.

Eh. It's not for me, but that's totally fine. I'm sure it will be well liked. It looks amazing still.
I'm not sure how it is now, but then it launched, all the fans were upset.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Are cards used in mining really as worthless as ppl say? I've heard mixed things regarding this, that they could still be fairly good even after heavy use
The gpu itself is run heavily undervolted so the main chip and the power system should still be good, afaik the main concern (if the whole system is run in a properly cooled/maintained room of course) would be accelerated aging of the memory chips since those are pushed as memory speed is very important for the hash rate of ethereum. Unfortunately some cards have really toasty memory out of the box while others have overkill cooling running memory well within spec even overclocked so you'd have to look at the individual models.

Would love for someone with more knowledge to add to this though, i'm not an expert by any means.

• Eyes

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Sonic Origins performance under Proton is really bad for me. I get a lot of screen tearing in menu and the opening movie is really stuttering. Why on earth does it have Denuvo? Seriously what the hell is Sega doing when decompilations and fanports like Sonic 1 Forever. Sonic 2 Absolute and Sonic 3 AIR are working fine.
Saw a post in the community hub mentioning that the game starts in a weirdly high resolution (2715x1527) and that the settings menu is hidden in the museum.

• Eyes

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
It’s still a bit too early to consider making Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy blockchain games, and we’re not at the stage of thinking about that yet.
So what you're saying is
We don't actually believe in any of this shit and are not gonna risk smearing any of our real IPs while we try and grift people out of money

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! C-Dub is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Jun 27, 2022 at 1:13 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

Got it as a freebie with a Fanatical order, already own. Key expires on 31 July 2022.

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
It wouldn't surprise me if MS made a new controller with gyro and a more advanced haptics sometime this generation.
Here's hoping.
That’d be perfect, iirc the elite one has gyro but i cba to pay that much for something Sony offers with its normal controller

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
That’d be perfect, iirc the elite one has gyro but i cba to pay that much for something Sony offers with its normal controller
No Xbox controller has a gyro, unfortunately, even the Elite ones.

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.