Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Reactions: Li Kao

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
I had plans to play starfield on my series x with gamepass but DF today said it was rendering at 1296p (then upscaled). You really can't do better than 1300/30 on a series X bethesda? And lets be real that's not gonna be a locked 30fps either. I really really do not want to use that malware they call a PC app...

They tried with tomb raider and the result was so catastrophic it basically began a slow death of the tomb raider IP (in gaming). Rise underperformed even as it went to other platforms then shadow just outright bombed.

They made a big deal convincing SE to bring FF multiplat which I'm sure meant money was thrown around, and the result was like a 90/10 ratio in PS' favor.

They do have marketing deals like with Diablo 4 most recently but that's about all that makes sense for them to do. There's no reason to pay tens of millions for a timed exclusive that's most likely going to backfire on them. PS is just way too big to make these 3rd parties skip.

Even if that's the case it doesn't seem to be working. The other day I saw someone say the new atlus game had about 100k views on the xbox channel and 400k+ on atlus' channel lol.

edit: Just checked myself and it's 185k on Xbox and 427k on Atlus. This is probably an audience issue, the Xbox audience historicaly does not care about JP games and fans of those games are already trained to look on other sources.
So, Sony has the monopoly then?

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
As much as steam has one in the PC gaming space. Arguably less so since MS is far more competitive than EGS lol.
It is a shame in a way that both are so big nobody else could compete

Epic could've never toppled Steam, but they could've been a nice alternative. They just couldn't resist being proper bastards.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019

Epic could've never toppled Steam, but they could've been a nice alternative. They just couldn't resist being proper bastards.
The 360 and PS3 had an almost identical install base.
MS messed up so badly with the Xbox One that all that momentum went out the window while Sony learned all the right lessons and applied them with the PS4.

• This!
Reactions: lashman and xinek

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Watched the Famitsu vid. Looks pretty sweet. Possibly like it controls more conventionally third person action like (lock-on?) than even previous games (which weren't all that sim-like to begin with, just their own brand of cool/weird), making certain maneuvers/dodges/strafes/melee much more intuitive and easy too.
So, again, stuff like this or some of the super sharp turning as you/the enemy speed past each other in other footage definitely seem to show the Zelda-style lock on/strafing systems Souls adopted instead of all manual controls, right?

Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but a big change compared to manual controls (with generous crosshair/auto aim/fire and forget weapons lock-on) and something that is undeniably Souls-like even if other aspects of it are still AC.

Reactions: lashman

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
With having to build a new PC this year instead, that pushes my Steamdeck purchase back to 2024.

What you guys reckon is the chance of a Steamdeck new-model in 2024?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
With having to build a new PC this year instead, that pushes my Steamdeck purchase back to 2024.

What you guys reckon is the chance of a Steamdeck new-model in 2024?
Valves hardware team is most likely all in on getting the Deckard out the door now so I wouldn't expect anything else from them in the next few years.

And yea I do think we will see some sort of updated and revised version of the Deck before we see a full blown sequel.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I should probably play that Friends Vs Friends game while it still has a player base... It's ten bucks, what's the harm?

• Doubt
Reactions: dummmyy

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I had plans to play starfield on my series x with gamepass but DF today said it was rendering at 1296p (then upscaled). You really can't do better than 1300/30 on a series X bethesda? And lets be real that's not gonna be a locked 30fps either. I really really do not want to use that malware they call a PC app...
The series X performance is kind of surprising. I have a hard time believing it can't run @ 60fps when you are on a giant empty/barren planet. I get the cities and dense tree terrain but I think it should have an unlocked performance mode down the line for the emptier parts of the game. Maybe it will happen post launch.

But they probably just lock them @ 30 so that the features in the game don't bog it down. Like if you start building an outpost on an empty planet the framerate will tank and possibly crash/corrupt your save file. All of this will create problems for console gamers. Things like that is probably the reason they locked it down but they should have put together a varied performance mode. Something that automatically locks framerate during demanding scenes and gameplay.

At the end of the day this game is a very giant open world(s) game and you rarely see stuff like this pushing native 4k or 60fps. Bethesda has historically been a PC focused dev and their console efforts haven't been great. These consoles are getting old too now going on near 4th year. You can make a case this is the first real AAA next gen game. Everything else in the past 3 years has mostly been cross gen and nothing has come close to the scale/scope of this game. Xbox owners are gonna have to live with these settings. There is still a giant difference between a 300-500$ console and a 1500$ PC. This is gonna be the first game this gen that shows these differences imo and GTAVI will soon follow.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
It’s absolutely incredible how Harmony didn’t get coverage and gaming press doesn’t give any fuck.
Don’t get me wrong, as I said, maybe don’t release your new game during E3, you morons. But E3 is more or less done, news have slowed down, but no, nobody seems to want to take a look back at the game that just released.

The state of the gaming press… everything is so absolute drivel that I am looking at youtube videos. Me, looking at streamers. Says it all.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
As much as I love KonoSuba, the probability that it's going to be a scuffed PC port is looming over me like Axis Cult acolytes trying to get my signature.

Let's keep in mind that past PQube published PC ports never really inspired confidence.
PQube and MAGES VN engine, name a more iconic duo.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ok, ShaderGlass doesn't work correctly for me. Reshade does nothing. Scanlines for Windows, the same.
I lack understanding of the finer points of these apps, but still.

I mean, ShaderGlass shows the most potential, but the issue is also in front of the PC. I had a hard time getting something resembling a normal CRT shader (and not a garbled mess), but the text is fucked and when I activate fullscreen in Arcanum it only modifies a quarter of the screen. Mmh, maybe it modifies the actual image and not the upscaled one.
I'm fucked anyway.

All I asked for was CRT-easymode at will, to bask in the glory of old PC games as they looked.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
That remind sega should remaster and port to modern platforms Yakuza Dead Souls / Like a dragon of the end.
SEGA has forgotten it, and it was very funny
Fiendly reminder: works nice on rpcs3
It's the only yakuza game i haven't played yet, aside from Kenzan

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018

This is the thing that annoys me about EGS. I didn’t like having to go to Uplay or Origin at the time but I did for some games. Hell I will probably use Uplay for Outlaws when it comes out.

I would have probably used EGS if it hadn’t been for the dickish prick sat behind a Twitter account antagonising potential customers.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I watched like 30 seconds of Armored Core VI gameplay somewhere on Youtube and noped out. It looked really good and I just don't want to see anymore of it. I know I will play it and some games you just don't wanna see/spoil things for yourself. FromSoft is one of those devs. A big blowout and deepdive makes sense for some games (like Starfield) but it really doesn't make sense for most others.

Also I am getting a little tempted to buy a PS5 for FFXVI. The hype is starting to get a little too much with all the positive impressions from the demo. I need to withstand this fomo because I really don't see myself using the PS5 for much else so it will collect dust. There is a steam summer sale coming in a few weeks too. And a giant onslaught of games this fall. The money can be spent on much better things than Square bs exclusivity. I love their games but I never loved them enough to buy a console for them. Would be nice if Sony did a better showcase showing all their future shit like MS just did with Xbox. A slim announcement would have gone a long way too because I really don't want to buy dated assembly this far into the gen.

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I mean I already had an epic account a long time before EGS was a thing to get that Metroidvania they did, seem to remember they where giving away steam keys at the time.

shows how memorable it was as I can’t even remember the name anymore.

not done anything with it since though.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
So, again, stuff like this or some of the super sharp turning as you/the enemy speed past each other in other footage definitely seem to show the Zelda-style lock on/strafing systems Souls adopted instead of all manual controls, right?

Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but a big change compared to manual controls (with generous crosshair/auto aim/fire and forget weapons lock-on) and something that is undeniably Souls-like even if other aspects of it are still AC.
It was discussed in the video I posted earlier:

Apparently there is both a "soft lock-on", similar to what was in the previous AC games, and a Souls-like "hard lock-on".

When in soft-lock you can have your missiles carpet all nearby enemies, for instance.

It seems you'll need to use both modes, depending on situation.

Reactions: lashman

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
It's the only yakuza game i haven't played yet, aside from Kenzan
I enjoyed it. It reminded me the best Dreamcast arcade games like Cannon Spike, Zombie Revenge or Illbleed but in Yakuza universe. It’s hilarious to watch yakuza characters playing that role in a zombie B movie.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
So hands-on Starfield impressions are flowing in from IGN and the likes and it's nothing short of effusively glowing.

It's kinda got me worried about a reverse backlash. The hype machine feels like it's been gaining crazy momentum since the 45 min deep dive video last week.

Like people's expectations have done a full swing from, "OMG BGS SUXS SO BAD >>> FALLOUT 4 & 76 <<< LOL" to "OMG STARFIELD GAME OF FOREVER!!!"

The swing is too fast and hard. At the end of the day it's still going to be a BGS joint that comes prepackaged with all the pros & cons. Starfield looks ambitious as hell, but the fundamental framework is still 100% BGS RPG.

It's just going to be insufferable to hear all the bitching & moaning from the crowd who was never kind to BGS to begin with, but may have been carried along with the Starfield hype cycle, after they realize that they are still dealing with the BGS limitations that their extraordinary open-world ambitions inevitably surface. Bugs, anomalies, framerate hitches & stuff.

My story is that for the past 2 decades I never stopped loving BGS, from Morrowind straight through Fallout 4. I love inhabiting their worlds and have always treated them like true roleplaying im-sims first and foremost, with any "official/side questlines" and such just being icing on the cake. In that sense BGS has never let me down. And any kind of jank I've met along the way has come with the full understanding of the fragile state of so many moving parts the Creation Engine is employing at any given moment. BGS games have an exceptional amount of engine break points because it's doing an exceptional amount of calculations, far more ambitious than genre peers.

So I'm all good either way. BGS is my favorite AAA studio and I'll likely pump hundreds of hours into Starfield, just like I did Fallout 4 and Skyrim before. I don't need to be "convinced" that BGS is back because they never went anywhere to begin with.

But I can't help but shudder at all those lapsed vocal-minority gamers coming back only to turn around with their, "BGS are hacks that ruined my life." s**t all over again when Starfield inevitably proves to be less polished that a supremely linier, guided AAA(A) release like God of War.

Thank god the few sites I frequent have an Ignore button, lol.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Eh I wouldn't use Epic Store one way or another. I am done with creating new libraries and new accounts to play games.
If Epic had launched EGS with well-executed basic features that PC gamers expect, and with free games, coupons and better payouts for devs, it would probably be my most used store now.

But instead we got a barebones store at launch, half-baked or missing features afterwards, a 180 on promised policies and a shitload of money hatting on 3rd party games, including crowdfunded games and games already for sale on other storefronts. The latter is something that even console manufacturers never pulled off.

Seriously, a company that considers such shitty practices as healthy competition can kindly f*ck off on my gaming platform of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.