Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Jesusss, can you make less original a game. We borrowed Borderlands art direction. And gameplay wise, easy, let’s do a rogue like, gently aping Gunfire Reborn.

Though, to be honest, while googling GR to remember its title, I see that rogue like fps looks like quite a crowded genre.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Seems like the RTX 3060 8GB/RTX 4050 RTX 4060 is releasing June 29th.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
Today there are two streams as far as I know.
UploadVr Showcase & Grasshopper Direct

Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The vast majority of dialogues are Fallout 4-tier
Man, this offends me deeply. No, Cyberpunk does not have

yes
no (but yes)
sarcastic yes
I'll be back later and yes

type of dialogues. At all. I am not saying that every dialogue offers 10 choices of what to say filled with stat checks - Cyberpunk is indeed not WotR or New Vegas - but it is vastly better than Fallout 4 (also in actual writing quality and its characters) and many of its quests and entire questlines have varied endings depending on player action or inaction. Not to mention multiple vastly different game endings, where the endings do not differ only in some static ending slides as most RPGs do it, but in fact offer completely different epilogues with multiple hours of playtime.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Does Konami have any kind of event or stream or whatever coming up where they might give more details about MGS Master Collection? I need that Steam release confirmation... :weary-face:

• Toucan
  • This!
Reactions: xxr and lashman

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Man, this offends me deeply. No, Cyberpunk does not have

yes
no (but yes)
sarcastic yes
I'll be back later and yes

type of dialogues. At all. I am not saying that every dialogue offers 10 choices of what to say filled with stat checks - Cyberpunk is indeed not WotR or New Vegas - but it is vastly better than Fallout 4 (also in actual writing quality and its characters) and many of its quests and entire questlines have varied endings depending on player action or inaction. Not to mention multiple vastly different game endings, where the endings do not differ only in some static ending slides as most RPGs do it, but in fact offer completely different epilogues with multiple hours of playtime.
There are of course some situations where you have several dialogue options that are actually good and varied, but just as often you have literally just 1 option which moves the conversation forward and some optional questions. And then there's shit like this:

The reason Fallout 4 feels blatant is that it ALWAYS had 4 options to fill the "wheel". Cyberpunk has a list instead, so it simply often omits the "redundant" options that Fallout 4 had. Most of the time you'll still have only 1-2 options that move the convo forward, with some important points in quests offering more and skill checks.

This is the norm for Cyberpunk:

And this is an exception:

If you're just arguing that ultimately Cyberpunk has better dialogue options and choices than FO4, then yes, I absolutely agree, because Fallout 4 never has those moments with tons of options and skill checks that CP has and the RP potential is even worse than in CP. However, it doesn't change the fact that most of CP's dialogues are still very barebones as far as dialogue choices and role-playing potential goes.

As for the endings, they're certainly much more spectacular than in other RPGs, but the game's ending still suffers from ME3 syndrome, where you just pick which one you want to play, only this time you have to unlock some of them beforehand by doing certain questlines. I believe it would've been better if the ending was decided automatically based on the choices you've made earlier. As it is, they're completely disjointed from the rest of the game, and only Arasaka ending has slight variation based on a certain previous decision iirc.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Humble has a sports bundle for anyone interested:

NBA 2k23
Tape to Tape
OlliOlli World
Wave Break
Lethal League Blaze
NBA 2k Playgrounds 2
WWE 2k Battlegrounds

Tape to Tape is brand new and the same price as this bundle

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Sucked into We Love Katamari... And also my job.

I posted this in the EGS thread instead of here:

In a few communities I frequent the reaction to the ROG Ally has been mixed.

For people who know their way around Windows, perhaps have a HTPC or controller-focussed setup, it’s an incredible device.

For everyone else it’s been a nightmare. System onboarding has been… problematic.

A lot of the media have been hyping this up as a “Deck killer”, completely blind to the fact that the user experience of Windows on one of these is challenging.

I’m expecting a lot of returns/open box sales of this device. Asus and all the other OEMs looking at making a device like this will have to think very carefully about the user experience of the next model.
Yeah, that isn't too surprising. Every single review I've seen on the Ally has a section dedicated to Windows-isms.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Watched the Famitsu vid. Looks pretty sweet. Possibly like it controls more conventionally third person action like (lock-on?) than even previous games (which weren't all that sim-like to begin with, just their own brand of cool/weird), making certain maneuvers/dodges/strafes/melee much more intuitive and easy too.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I posted this in the EGS thread instead of here:

In a few communities I frequent the reaction to the ROG Ally has been mixed.

For people who know their way around Windows, perhaps have a HTPC or controller-focussed setup, it’s an incredible device.

For everyone else it’s been a nightmare. System onboarding has been… problematic.

A lot of the media have been hyping this up as a “Deck killer”, completely blind to the fact that the user experience of Windows on one of these is challenging.

I’m expecting a lot of returns/open box sales of this device. Asus and all the other OEMs looking at making a device like this will have to think very carefully about the user experience of the next model.
The solution is pretty simple: fully support and make SteamOS run on it, and make it the default.

OEMs are likely not going to do this. I think they delude themselves into thinking they can actually gain some sort of ecosystem foothold / advantage with their own custom software on Windows, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.
Yeah, that isn't too surprising. Every single review I've seen on the Ally has a section dedicated to Windows-isms.
amazingly timed, after reading this I went on twitter and saw this:

then, further down the replies i found a video of someone putting Linux on the Alley – not SteamOS or its community-made variant HoloOS yet, but ChimeraOS. Seems to be working mostly fine but will surely need some more time. I agree with Durante that making SteamOS the default would be ASUS's best choice...and Im not sure why they even went with Windows.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
...and Im not sure why they even went with Windows.
because they respect and love their users and know that using Armory Crate is the best way to foster that relationship. Of course it has the unwanted side effect of getting so much user data that they don't know who to sell it to get rid of it, but really, it's the ease of use of Windows on a 7 inch screen that's the main reason.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Aside from Windows just being most manufacturers default choice, I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to appeal to that demographic that didn't want to jump through hoops or not be able to play like, Ubi/Actiblizz games on it. Maybe? Ultimately maybe they were just following the fact that most other handheld PC devices had not been SteamOS so far, ignoring the fact that there's a reason the Deck sold so well and it's not because it is a high-end monster. The advertising / hype around Ally made it seem like it was just gonna be better for everyone but it's clearly aimed at a tiny portion of the PC base, and I suspect most of the people who were optimistic about it somehow being that much better are going to be disappointed (especially if they don't just stay plugged in 24/7)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I dunno what is it with We Love Katamari that I can't play more than 5 minutes without feeling dizzy.

• Sad

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I was planning to build a new PC in 2024 myself, had my current rig since 2018 so it is a bit long in the tooth with how fast tech has moved forward. Slapping a 3070ti in there was just a band-aid for a bit. Speeding it up a bit won't be too bad... but it's definitely a bruise on the finances considering I just moved again this year, and only just started to get life back on track. o_O
======

This upcoming Armored Core is gonna be a lot of people's first time with the series. I hope expectations are in line, the mechs have traditionally been a bit clunky, on purpose i assume... but I wonder if people will blame that instead of skill issues haha.

• Hug
Reactions: Vantr and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Even if that is true, and a big IF, what was the gameplay? Is it a movie-like experience? Because that's all we saw.
The over-shoulder scenes are likely gameplay, but they definitely tweak the camera around.

I wish they have shown proper gameplay where the character is obviously controlled by someone.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
How much would I be holding myself back if I built a new PC except didn't upgrade my GPU from a GTX 1070 >.>
Nowadays? Quite a bit... No RTX or anything that's for certain. And what resolution/FPS?

My 1080ti wasn't doing so hot by about 2020, when i upgraded to 1440p and 165hz monitors.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
It's tough chosing a new resolution target in today's PC landscape. 1080p constrains you in terms of display size and 4K is not only quite expensive but comes with steep GPU demands especially if you don't want to miss out on fancy rendering features.
I settled for UW1440P but I could see myself getting back to 16:9 1440p if I can get a better monitor than my current AW3423DW.

The online conversation surrounding material definition led me to check this out :
Comparison between Forza 2023 vs GT7.

I have no idea what's Turn10's problem with materials/lighting. They just don't look quite right to me and that's baffling since it's pitted against what is at its technological core a PS4 game.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Just money wise I would wait to buy a GPU and new monitor.

Just wondering if I should build everything else and use my existing GPU and monitors until I can afford a new GPU+monitor

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is there an easier way to check the howlongtobeat data for a game than the site ? Like an AugmentedSteam integration or something else ?

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
The online conversation surrounding material definition led me to check this out :
Comparison between Forza 2023 vs GT7.

I have no idea what's Turn10's problem with materials/lighting. They just don't look quite right to me and that's baffling since it's pitted against what is at its technological core a PS4 game.
I feel like it's cartoon (Forza) vs plastic (GT) - I feel that neither are close to where I imagined the graphics would be at this point.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I feel like it's cartoon (Forza) vs plastic (GT) - I feel that neither are close to where I imagined the graphics would be at this point.
GT7 looks more "real" to me lighting wise. Some rough edges here and there.
Overall I expected more from Turn10. Big budget, at least 4-5 years of devtime and a new baseline (Series S) with a modern GPU featureset.

It should have been a bigger leap visually. Their insistence on, presumably, native 4k is also puzzling in an age where reconstruction techniques are quite refined.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Is there an easier way to check the howlongtobeat data for a game than the site ? Like an AugmentedSteam integration or something else ?
It is integrated with Augmented Steam but I find that it's kind of iffy on passing back that data if it's a less popular game. It has an Android app as well which is just the bare bones search (which is a plus, to be clear)

Reactions: Li Kao

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Last Jedi Survivor Patch was month ago and it was PC only patch. Last console patch was month and a half ago. Since then EA acknowledged issue with bounties and even that was 3 weeks ago. They are just posting some character trivia on social media and replying to angry customers with "please be patient". Respawn doesn't even talk about game on social media. It really is sad how amazing game can be ruined by technical issues and lack of communication from the developer/publisher.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Last Jedi Survivor Patch was month ago and it was PC only patch. Last console patch was month and a half ago. Since then EA acknowledged issue with bounties and even that was 3 weeks ago. They are just posting some character trivia on social media and replying to angry customers with "please be patient". Respawn doesn't even talk about game on social media. It really is sad how amazing game can be ruined by technical issues and lack of communication from the developer/publisher.
EA is weird with game support, like, they just launch some patches and call the day, it is weird as hell

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.