Community MetaSteam | March 2019 - The Core Values of One-Handed Fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That Rob guy says even better stuff whoever he is. And people will just try to sweep that under the rug, talk about how Assault Android Cactus will probably get on and it was a mistake, as if that game in particular getting on EGS solves the issue discussed. Well, if they discuss it at all and don't just ignore these again.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That Rob guy says even better stuff whoever he is. And people will just try to sweep that under the rug, talk about how Assault Android Cactus will probably get on and it was a mistake, as if that game in particular getting on EGS solves the issue discussed. Well, if they discuss it at all and don't just ignore these again.
my bet is on Sergey letting AAC+ in today, saying "it was a mistake on our part" and hoping it'll all blow over

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Been playing for ~11 hours and there's way too much wrong to list, my major gripe being that the world is well built but too damn big and traversing without vehicles takes too friggin' long. And if you only have a few robots as enemies their AI should be great. The way things are you're running around a lot without anything happening and when a big fight starts it's often pure chaos with too much going on too fast for tactical decisions. Then there are the bugs, so many. Like you can 'open' a door lying on the ground which then swings into the ground or air. Ok, funny. Enemies clipping through walls, just standing still or weird shit happening with quests aren't. Let's talk about copy & pasted houses. You thought PUBG's first map was bad? Ahahaha. Coop has serious issues too. How progression works, but teamplay too. I honestly could go on and on, Generation Zero is just not a good game and will be hard to fix. Visuals are fairly decent though with some nice scenery, great weather effects and lighting.

Like the look.

Last edited:

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
One benefit if all stores had a no selling crappy games policy would be that Fortnite never would have been able to release anywhere with that kind of a policy.

Interestingly I was going to link to a review of Fortnite at its initial launch for this post but on the process of looking found that PC Gamer seems to have completely removed their review that gave the game a 55 from their site.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
One benefit if all stores had a no selling crappy games policy would be that Fortnite never would have been able to release anywhere with that kind of a policy.

Interestingly I was going to link to a review of Fortnite at its initial launch for this post but on the process of looking found that PC Gamer seems to have completely removed their review that gave the game a 55 from their site.
Interesting, what made them to remove the old review and put a new one?
The reviews are by the same author.

The Internet never forgets. Here is the original review
Fortnite review

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Interesting, what made them to remove the old review and put a new one?
The reviews are by the same author.

The Internet never forgets. Here is the original review
Fortnite review
Feeling dirty defending anything those morons do but that review was from before Battle Royale. They could ofc do an update but it was outdated and useless very quickly.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Well to be fair that review seems to have been before they copied the battle royale concept. So they can always reflect that it has improved since and is worth the new score (and ignore the implications of the game not being sold at all just because it's too crappy so it'd never get updated to have the new stuff, ha).

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
Feeling dirty defending anything those morons do but that review was from before Battle Royale. They could ofc do an update but it was outdated and useless very quickly.
Battle Royale is a separate free to play game while they're still selling Save the World for $40. There's no reason to remove the review for Save the World.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
SEGA Fes is tomorrow. Curious to see what mobile games they announce :V

EDIT: BTW did I mention I wouldn't buy future Devolver games.....? No seriously I'm asking if I ever mentioned that cuz I can't remember

I'm getting Metal Wolf at least.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
On the other hand, how can you reject a game like Assault Android Cactus from your store?
Good games can be rejected. Tim did not say that EGS would accept every good game. He only said that they would not accept crappy games.

It can happen everywhere except on Steam and Itch. If you look at GOG, Opus Magnum and other games have been rejected.

My guess is that Tim wants to have a few good games in every popular genre, and "Bullet Hell" is one of the least popular genres, based on my experience of hidden gems. I recently went through the Steam250 list of hidden gems for a post on ResetEra, and I noticed that trend. Other high-quality games which are often overlooked are Point-n-Click. EGS has Thimbleweed Park though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

SEGA Fes is tomorrow. Curious to see what mobile games they announce :V
I'll expect nothing, and still be disappointed. 😕

It's perplexing how SEGA sucks so much at "exploiting" its older IPs.
If I ran SEGA, I would have a couple of smaller teams working on new entries from older Arcade/Console series like Shinobi, Altered Beast, ESWAT, and more, for PC and consoles.

And, what's the deal with Phantasy Star Online? I mean, why don't they ever make these games available in the West? The series had a decent following around the time of the Dreamcast and Gamecube entries. The games are done, why not make them available on as many markets and platforms as possible?

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I'll expect nothing, and still be disappointed. 😕

It's perplexing how SEGA sucks so much at "exploiting" its older IPs.
If I ran SEGA, I would have a couple of smaller teams working on new entries from older Arcade/Console series like Shinobi, Altered Beast, ESWAT, and more, for PC and consoles.

And, what's the deal with Phantasy Star Online? I mean, why don't they ever make these games available in the West? The series had a decent following around the time of the Dreamcast and Gamecube entries. The games are done, why not make them available on as many markets and platforms as possible?
Last year Shenmue I & II HD were announced at SEGA Fes, and SEGA Europe is teasing something this year too.
I have no idea what they'll announce, but I wouldn't be surprised with another HD version of an old game for PC and consoles.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Last year Shenmue I & II HD were announced at SEGA Fes, and SEGA Europe is teasing something this year too.
I have no idea what they'll announce, but I wouldn't be surprised with another HD version of an old game for PC and consoles.
Gimme dem Sonic games so we can finally mod them to something sensible to play
Gimme dem PS2, Dreamcast and Saturn games already.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
It's great when developers offer such insight into the process of being in a store. On the other hand, how can you reject a game like Assault Android Cactus from your store? I mean it's one of the best in dual stick genre. :rolleyes:
I'll be honest, when I first saw AAC years ago, I thought it kind of looked trashy graphically and found it almost generic.

I was wrong, and the game is great and I recommend it all the time now. Which is another reason people can't be trusted to curate. Your first impression as a curator may be worthless garbage (like mine).

Deleted member 113

Yeah, but Shenmue I & II is a slightly improved port.
What I meant was working on new entries (not just ports, or re-releases) for the digital marketplaces. I obviously don't mean big titles like Shenmue, but shorter arcade experiences, like 2D or 2,5D sequels to shmups, beat'em ups, platformers, (...). Things like a new Shinobi, a new ESWAT, a new Altered Beat, a new Golden Axe, a new Dynamite Duck.
A couple of small teams, sharing an engine and assets, and putting out new titles periodically, that's my "vision".

It seems like a missed opportunity that these platforms have a lot of arcade titles and re-releases of older titles (when the Xbox Live Arcade hit its pick, sales were huge for these digital titles), while a company like SEGA, who has so many well liked IPs, just sits on them.

Capcom actually did a decent job with this a few years ago. They released a couple of new Bionic Commando games (I don't mean their bigger budget game, I mean the smaller downloadable games, the Rearmed titles), a new 1942 game (1942: Joint Strike), a new Commando game (Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3), and a new Strider game.

Speaking of which, I wish Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, 1942: Joint Strike, and Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 would be released on Steam (hint Wbacon ;) ).
I had them on my Xbox 360, but my console broke down, so unfortunately I can't replay them.

Reactions: Digoman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Binary Domain HD to finally set the stage for Binary Domain 2's release.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
A couple of small teams, sharing an engine and assets, and putting out new titles periodically, that's my "vision".
That would be so good in general. Ubisoft also had those smaller projects like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Is not that they are all good, but the diversity is much appreciated. All the big publisher could have similar strategies. The cost is minimal, keeps your talent happy by offering the opportunity to explore different things and who knows, maybe you will find the next "big" thing by accident. You don't have to stop going after the open-world-with-rpg-elements and/or battle royale, but also allowing these smaller projects seems to be a good thing to keep the industry as a whole healthy.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ubisoft is partnering with Epic Games store for Anno 1800

Following the successful launch of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on PC on the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games store, we are announcing today that we are partnering with Epic Games on Anno 1800 as well. Players can now pre-order the Deluxe and Standard editions of Anno 1800 on PC on the Epic Games store. Moreover, all players will be able to try Anno 1800 via the Open Beta, scheduled from April 12 to April 14, by downloading the game on Uplay or via the Epic Games store. Once the game has been released on April 16, 2019, Anno 1800 will only be available digitally on the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games store. Pre-orders on Steam can be made until the release of the game. Everyone who pre-ordered Anno 1800 on Steam will be able to play the game upon release and will automatically get all future updates and content.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

pretty sure we won't be seeing ANY new ubi games on steam anymore (contrary to what they claimed after Division announcement) ...

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Wow. This is what having your cake and eating it too looks like. All the Steam preorders, the game on UPlay and an Epic moneyhat. You can't blame Ubisoft too much. They're basically getting paid by Epic to make a shift to their own UPlay like it was obvious was a desire of theirs so they no longer had to pay Steam (and they kept driving UPlay acceptance by incorporating it in all their games anyway). Steam is in a weird position too, they can't really ban such things with arbitrary standards that they will keep trying to evade anyway. They will honor preorders on Steam so that's giving them a free pass to get all the Steam marketing they can on top of all this. Ubisoft's being pretty damn clever with how they take advantage of this whole situation. And nobody is even batting an eye at such preferential treatment either, an exclusivity deal without exclusivity and likely most sales coming from UPlay/retail. A Steam embargo deal. COMPETITION!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.