Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Well, more money for other games~
Just take a look at Tizocs highlight thread if you need some inspiration~

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

pretty sure we won't be seeing ANY new ubi games on steam anymore (contrary to what they claimed after Division announcement) ...
you'd think the dumbasses would have learned after spending the last 5+ years rehabilitating their brand image about the importance of customer centric decisions, but nooooooo

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
money talks louder than words ... gotta love capitalism
One of the foundational things you'd learn in any business or marketing school is the importance of brand loyalty. Which means Ubi should know A) what kind of loyalty Steam has and B) how important their image rehabilitation was, and that it's really probably not worth throwing that away for some EGS downpayments that could dry up in a few years.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
One of the foundational things you'd learn in any business or marketing school is the importance of brand loyalty. Which means Ubi should know A) what kind of loyalty Steam has and B) how important their image rehabilitation was, and that it's really probably not worth throwing that away for some EGS downpayments that could dry up in a few years.
that hasn't been true for capitalism for at least a decade now ... all they care are short-term profits, nothing else

It's time Valve takes some drastic actions towards this shit, they already pass as the vilains in most medias, let's retaliate and ban those assholes making free advertisement on Steam and using Steam forums for egs technical issues (I report all those threads and nothing is done).
i really REALLY hope they won't do that ...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Time for MS to announce some good PC news next week :V
i wish :p i don't think they'll have anything else to announce any time soon, though ... probably not until E3 (at the earliest)

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
So, where is a demo of a game actually listed on Steam?
Tizoc's Highlight thread made me remember that Dusk Diver has a demo. I check the store page and find nothing.

I enter it in the search and it shows me a Dusk Diver Demo. Which just leads me to the store page again.
Ended up searching for it on SteamDB and installing it via the button there <.<
Am I just blind? Is Augmented Steam interfering? Is it a regional thing? I am confused.
Especially because I remember trying the Berseria demo and I could have sworn that one was available via the store page.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Y'all do know New Dawn went 50% off in less than a month since release right?
Buying Ubisoft games day 1 nowadays isn't worth it anyways.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'ma go back to seeing Notorious BIG haunting and terrorizing a bunch of Italian teenage mafia on a plane.
Tizoc's Highlight thread made me remember that Dusk Diver has a demo. I check the store page and find nothing.

I enter it in the search and it shows me a Dusk Diver Demo. Which just leads me to the store page again.
Am I just blind? Is Augmented Steam interfering? Is it a regional thing? I am confused.
Especially because I remember trying the Berseria demo and I could have sworn that one was available via the store page.
Dusk Diver 酉閃町 Demo · AppID: 1037390

Try clicking on the upper right of this page.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
that hasn't been true for capitalism for at least a decade now ... all they care are short-term profits, nothing else
At a corporate level, perhaps, but not really at all levels of business in all capitalist systems. Brand loyalty and customer satisfaction are how those of us that run small or medium-sized businesses stay alive.

But even so, this seems to be a particularly egregious and recurring problem in the entertainment industry, and I really have no idea why. Yes, I get the middle finger from corporate entities outside of those industries. But I feel like I get the middle finger "eff you, got me" mentality more in the entertainment industries than possibly anywhere else.

SpectrumWarrior

Mods'R'us
Nov 1, 2018
I'd like Valve to refuse future games from the publishers they can't trust. They banned some for less than what's happening now (fake reviews).
Epic won't moneyhat all their games, I want to see them try to come back to Steam and find closed doors (or a worst deal than they had before, at least, let's push to 60/40 :evilblob:)..

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'd like Valve to refuse future games from the publishers they can't trust. They banned some for less than what's happening now (fake reviews).
Epic won't moneyhat all their games, I want to see them try to come back to Steam and find closed doors.
well, to be fair - i don't think we'll see any more ubi games on steam ... they'll just release whatever they have left to release ... and that's that

Reactions: Ge0force

Deleted member 113

There were some exclusivity announcements that made me a little upset. Phoenix Point, because of what it meant (I was a backer, and because I followed the creator's work for 30+ years). Operencia, because I was a beta tester.
This one is sooooooooooooooooooo stupid, my only reaction to this was like... ok?

Yeah, it's bizarre how video games companies really think they can pull anything, and get away with it.
Sadly, in a way they can, because some people act like they can't live without playing a particular game, and will cave to this.
Ideally, people would vote with their wallets, and punish companies that "abuse" their potential customers, and reward those who don't.

This is such a bizarre move. Removing a game from a store, after it's been sold for months, to make it available only at the EGS? And lose some long-term sales, on a platform where the genre does well?

Anno is the kind of game I would eventually purchase, probably even pre-order it.
But, this news just make me... shrug?
Really, it doesn't even upset me in any way.
It's like Ubisoft is telling me "you have to buy the game until "x" date, after which you will no longer be able to buy it on your platform of choice", and I'm like... no thank you.

Clearly, these people skipped a few lessons on marketing school. Or business school.
No one thinks about anything other than short term returns.

What's bizarre is that, on an industry that feeds on our disposable income, this... seems to work?
I mean, if you buy a food brand, and they tell you "we'll be doubling the price!", or "you have to go to this particular supermarket, or else you won't buy our products", everyone would simply skip them. But, with video games, people cave in. It's like there's some sort of addiction at work.
I'm from a business background, and all this is really bizarre to me. I had companies that were clients at my company for 20+ years, leave for reasons like paying 5€ more monthly. It's really strange how these companies pull the most appalling, customer unfriendly moves, and get away with it.

You know what, lashman, I usually agree with you, but this time I really can't.
Playing nice doesn't work in business. It's as simple as that.
Valve probably won't do anything, but they really should.

They should, at least, do something similar to what other platforms do: a game can only launch on Steam if it's released at the same time as other stores, or before "x" amount of time has passed between the launch at another store.

Valve's leadership really needs to step up, and project an image of strength to the outside.
Otherwise, they are going to take a hit.

Deleted member 113

They removed the demo from the store:

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So Epic says that they don't want to do same thing as they did with Metro Exodus, yet they are just continue doing the same shit again. They never shut up, don't they? :D
one day people will learn that whatever any corporate mouthpiece says doesn't matter one bit ... if they get enough financial incentive to do something (no matter how evil and harmful) - they will do it ... they won't even think about it - they'll just do it

that's capitalism ... and this is how it works ... this is how it always worked ... this is absolutely nothing new

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Clearly, these people skipped a few lessons on marketing school. Or business school.
No one thinks about anything other than short term returns.

What's bizarre is that, on an industry that feeds on our disposable income, this... seems to work?
I mean, if you buy a food brand, and they tell you "we'll be doubling the price!", or "you have to go to this particular supermarket, or else you won't buy our products", everyone would simply skip them. But, with video games, people cave in. It's like there's some sort of addiction at work.
I'm from a business background, and all this is really bizarre to me. I had companies that were clients at my company for 20+ years, leave for reasons like paying 5€ more monthly. It's really strange how these companies pull the most appalling, customer unfriendly moves, and get away with it.
Yeah, I was just reading the first part of your post about how some people "can't live without playing a particular game," and it was making me think: maybe this is an issue because we're dealing with very captive audiences in the entertainment industries.

Let's say I like riding motorcycles and my favorite manufacturer is Honda, but next year they start abusing me in some way. Even if I like the brand, I can probably go find a comparable alternative cycle at one of the other major manufacturers. Outside of some really weird designs, the cycles may not be exactly the same, but it'll be pretty close. So Honda or Yamaha or whoever has to be careful to not piss their loyal fans off too much, because if they push the envelope too far, there's like a dozen major manufacturers who would be happy to swoop them up.

And like you said, the same goes for food. If my favorite brand of packaged tortillas signs some exclusive distribution deal with a store I hate shopping at...I'm just going to buy whatever brand is left at the store I usually go to. And even if you run a business as a more "artisanal" food vendor, like say a traditional butcher shop or bakery, you're not going to be able to screw your customers. Yeah, you might offer a great, unique and possibly even rare service in the age of big-box shops, but if you screw your loyal customers who have been coming to you for delicately carved cuts of meat for the past twenty years...they're just going to go buy some cheap meat at Walmart or the local supermarket chain.

But if some developer exclusively on the EGS releases the new greatest Soulsborne clone with some unique theme like I dunno, Afrofuturism, what's your alternative? If you really like that concept, it's not like there's walls of Afrofuturism Soulsborne clones just laying around competing with the one on the store you don't want to buy from anymore. So, people just cave.

I agree, it's really bizarre. If we raise the price on a product my business makes by $1-3 to account for a change in manufacturing costs or inflation, people might freak out. But if games include exploitative MTX, sign customer unfriendly distribution agreements, include horrible EULAs/DRM/licenses, people just eat that shit right up.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/kalypso-pick-and-mix

Neat build a bundle on Fanatical atm:
3 FOR $2.49
5 FOR $3.49
10 FOR $4.99

Also Groupees has an interesting bundle this time around

The $5 tier has these 2 games

Ah well 3 games for $5 is fine in my book~

This upcoming bundle has 3 decent games if you pre order for $1.50 too.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Anno 1800 is getting Steam cards btw, everything's already set up.

Gonna keep my preorder and rake in that card money just like with Metro.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
you know what i'm wondering about?

Metro and Anno will both be getting DLC on steam (both have already announced it) ... so my question is - what about people who only bought the base version of those games? will they be able to buy DLC? also another question - will any of that DLC ever go on sale?

especially for Anno because we already know Metro will eventually end up on steam ... Anno won't

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
you know what i'm wondering about?

Metro and Anno will both be getting DLC on steam (both have already announced it) ... so my question is - what about people who only bought the base version of those games? will they be able to buy DLC? also another question - will any of that DLC ever go on sale?

especially for Anno because we already know Metro will eventually end up on steam ... Anno won't
I believe Metro specifically said you'd be able to purchase DLC at least.

Edit :

"
I ordered the Standard Edition - will I be able to purchase the Expansion Pass in the future on Steam?
Yes, if you own the Standard Edition on Steam, you will be able to purchase the Expansion Pass or standalone DLC on Steam when it releases in the future. "

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
So is $24 for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare a decent enough deal? I pretty much ignore CoD like it doesn't exist. I've never played one. And I only care about the single player campaign. The shooty thing is space looked ok though.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
So is $24 for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare a decent enough deal? I pretty much ignore CoD like it doesn't exist. I've never played one. And I only care about the single player campaign. The shooty thing is space looked ok though.

Reactions: Wildebeet

dummmyy

Dumb fool
Nov 14, 2018
Also Groupees has an interesting bundle this time around

The $5 tier has these 2 games

Ah well 3 games for $5 is fine in my book~

This upcoming bundle has 3 decent games if you pre order for $1.50 too.

Awesome, been wanting Jack Quest !! Thanks Tizoc

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
What have they done to give gamers a better deal? Everything they said before was to give developers a better deal (also lying but still). And how does Steam become a better EGS competitor? By paying off games to not go to EGS like they just did with Anno to not go on Steam? And this all benefits gamers how? Jeez.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Da fug at that price
SEGA WHAT YOU DOIN'?!

SEGATA SANSHIRO
SATURN
ARCADE MACHINES

STOP TRYING TO PANDER TO NOSTALGIA AND GIVE NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.