Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Been saying that since there was much talk of Blizzard pulling out. Nvidia has a winner here and just to please the devs/pubs they tend to work with they are killing it by not fighting for this. They shouldn't need any agreement with those developers and publishers and those same publishers and developers have no right to delve into the relationship I have with the hardware I choose to login on with my account and install my stuff on, whether it's mine, my brother's or a company's I rent it from, whether in my house, an internet cafe, or accessed remotely. Yes they can put that crap in their EULAs and have done so to try and prohibit anything with the term cloud on it and those who haven't will do so but that doesn't make it legal. Hopefully someone without a stake in pleasing publishers as they are will fight this so we can get some decent services that can be even better than the fabled "Netflix of gaming". Who the heck wouldn't want it if this becomes a real thing and you can then have all your Steam library not only natively running downloaded off your main gaming PC but also on pretty much any other online enabled device you own via a cloud option? How isn't this the way to go vs something like Stadia selling you cloud-only games? Because you just know if it does become a thing Steam will offer its own twist on it built in their clients. And so will other companies allowing you to not only have your Steam library but also all your other software in just the same way. Even if you hate the idea of cloud gaming due to current lag issues and stuff, another access option that may be more convenient to you during this or that special case scenario, essentially more control over your own stuff, is never bad. If these companies had their way with it they'd tell Steam they need to pay them extra for Remote Play Together cos they're cloud broadcasting their content.

Last edited:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
How does one know if a rice cooker is good or not? I'm thinking about getting a new one, a cheap one but I still want one that will last awhile.
There is a video which compares cheap and expensive rice cookers. I don't have a link to the video. But the summary of the video is that the cheap rice cookers mostly don't cook the rice evenly and the rice might get soggy.
For me who eat rice almost daily an expensive rice cooker is the best choice. Who would want uneven cooked and soggy rice? Our rice cooker is self imported from China, (the brand is Japanese though)

Reactions: Le Pertti

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Who cares if The Long Dark cannot be played on Geforce Now? The game will be back on the service after Geforce Now succeeds with big new games.

What matters is that games like Cyberpunk 2077 won't be removed. If Geforce Now allows the game to be played by a larger audience, it is a win for the creator, and CDPR understands this. For instance, I might end up purchasing Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam if I am confident that I can play it on Geforce Now. If GOG were supported by Geforce Now, I would buy it there on release day and try to play it with cloud gaming during the 30-day refund window. If it works, I will not ask for a refund.

Last edited:

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
What matters is that games like Cyberpunk 2077 won't be removed. If Geforce Now allows the game to be played by a larger audience, it is a win for the creator, and CDPR understands this. For instance, I might end up purchasing Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam if I am confident that I can play it on Geforce Now. If GOG were supported by Geforce Now, I would buy it there on release day and try to play it with cloud gaming during the 30-day refund window. If it works, I won't ask for a refund.

Who cares if The Long Dark cannot be played on Geforce Now? The game will be back on the service after Geforce Now succeeds with big new games.

Correct. People with weak hardware can play a demanding game like Cyberpunk. That will give dev/pub more sales.

Long Dark dev is very short sighted IMO.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, but many big companies with big important games will fight it and pull their games and make it unworthy of considering to more users who care about those games and in this way stall its success because they irrationally want to either be paid for having their games playable there even though you've already bought them and it costs them nothing as it's not their service to run or because they think in the future they may do their own cloud service that they want you to pay for/use instead of Nvidia's and so sabotage it. And Nvidia caves because they want to maintain good relationships with them so they work on their graphics cards and do cross promotions or whatever else. Yeah, nobody really cares The Long Dark pulled out but all the talk of Blizzard pulling out and even the fact Nvidia has to add games one by one after agreements that aren't even permanent rather than just let you access any game that is able to be installed on their hardware/os/whatever they have going there all hampers it. Of course the first scenario I thought of myself was back when The Witcher 2 released and my PC struggled and among other games I hastened an upgrade I could have easily postponed further and get better stuff later on if I could have played it streamed with way better performance. That's then, never mind now that it opens access to devices I didn't have, phones, tablets, TVs, etc., anywhere I may be!

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Sorry to bother you but In the previous thread were you asking about which Dragon Quest games to play?

-----
As for rice I think my family tends to just "fry" the rice. We do have a rice cooker but I think we mainly use it for when we want to eat healthy and eat white rice. Other wise I think we put the rice on a frying pan with tin foil over it or something after words. Orange rice taste nice.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I knew about the KFC one but never tried it. (I really want to though.) Coconut rice on the other hand is my fuggin' jam.

(I don't do it too often however. Maybe 2-3 times a month.)

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Every time I've finally managed to beat Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls, I'm wondering what the hell From Software was thinking when designing this turd. But I always forgive them because the rest of the game is so amazing!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Every time I've finally managed to beat Bed of Chaos in Dark Souls, I'm wondering what the hell From Software was thinking when designing this turd. But I always forgive them because the rest of the game is so amazing!
Bed of Chaos is one of my favorite DS1 boss fights :D
I really liked the complete change compared to regular bosses, it was more of a puzzle than a regular fight.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Crazy to think that CSGO is still so popular after almost 8 years of being out, TF2 is still around but that one is not getting much love from Valve.

The game is free to play now and seeing how the game is very different compared to your "modern" FPS game I can see why people would like it. Heck I tried it for the first time maybe 3 months ago and I liked the game.

But as some have mentioned, maybe people are just play it to get ready for that one new riot game. Valve has mainly been working on Dota 2, HLA, and Underlords while also doing some CSGO stuff. Now that Underlords is out and with HLA being out later this month will they focus more on CSGO in order to keep it alive? The game is free to play now so they will only make money off the game itself if people buy prime. And yes there are loot boxes for the game as well but there have been crack downs on those. So a beefed up battlepass will be one of their main money sources for that? (Or will the market place, well the items that are on the market place already, do all the work?)

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I do not own a Rice cooker and feel left out.
Where is the potato club?

French Fries, Twister Fries, Röstis, Hash Browns, Rosmary Potatos, Fried Potato, Baked Potato, duchess potatos, sweet potatos, mashed potatos...

Potatos are the best starch based ingredient #Fact #IchBinEineKartoffel

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

French Fries, Twister Fries, Röstis, Hash Browns, Rosmary Potatos, Fried Potato, Baked Potato, duchess potatos, sweet potatos, mashed potatos...

Maybe someone should create a separate threads for potato and rice eaters :D

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
But as some have mentioned, maybe people are just play it to get ready for that one new riot game. Valve has mainly been working on Dota 2, HLA, and Underlords while also doing some CSGO stuff. Now that Underlords is out and with HLA being out later this month will they focus more on CSGO in order to keep it alive? The game is free to play now so they will only make money off the game itself if people buy prime. And yes there are loot boxes for the game as well but there have been crack downs on those. So a beefed up battlepass will be one of their main money sources for that? (Or will the market place, well the items that are on the market place already, do all the work?)
What would you like them to do? To be honest, there's not much to do with CS other than some relatively minor tweaks here and there (e.g. economy, gun balance) or maybe another remade map. I'd assume lootboxes are still making most of the money and considering the quality of the current operation after ~2 years of waiting, I'd be surprised to see them make battlepasses regularly.

Reactions: PC-tan

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
So I wanted to continue with Mega Man X Legacy collection. I already have played and beaten the first two games last year. So I started to play X3 yesterday. But the game is difficult. Not because I suck at it, but the input lag is making the game difficult to play :( Platforming through the game is hard because of the input lag

So I played on a SNES emulator instead, but here I experience another problem. It seems that sometimes the game doesn't register my button, which makes platforming also difficult. Not sure if the Xbox One controller is the problem. I am going to try with an 8bitdo snes controller later

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

You don't need rice cooker to cook rice :evilblob:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
We should definitely have a cooking thread!

The chicken in that video would make my stomach do a somersault. I cannot eat boiled chicken for some reason. Baked, roasted, smoked or fried is fine, but boiled is :sick: Something about boiling it brings out the worst flavor and texture in the meat, for me anyway. I have a hard time eating turkey and duck sometimes for similar reasons. They have a very strong gamey (?) flavor, even without boiling the meat. Also, I don’t think I could handle a whole chicken. Just looking at it in the video is a bit unsettling to me, let alone digging in with my hand to remove excess guts.

And rice cookers are so great! The single best household appliance I bought. Just put in rice and water, and you can forget about it — no stress about burning the rice. I always had issues preparing rice consistently without one.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman and Kvik

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Ive made a home on the fense about this game. Id love to hear more of your thoughts when youve completed it
It's a deal! Anything in particular that you'd like to know?

I highly recommend Quarantine Circular if you liked Subsurface that much. I would think Subsurface would be the one I enjoy more since I love robots and AI, but I actually thought Quarantine was simply more interesting and overall done better. The variety of endings are also more interesting to come across since there're multiple things that factor into it and it's not just a binary final choice.

It's already on my wishlist, waiting for a sale or bundle. The surprise effect also played a part on my enjoyment because I usually don't play this type of games but every once in a while I like to experiment new stuff, although I knew this was done by the same guy that did Thomas was alone which had a story I adored.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Will The Long Dark be partnering with Stadia? This sounds like the same situation as Exodus being removed from Steam store to appear on Epic store.

Last edited:
Reactions: prudis

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Anyway about GFN

As an aside there's an Interesting comment in that thread from someone saying they use GFN to bypass HWID Bans. I hadn't thought of that. so online will be full of shit-heels who have been banned from the game on their own PCs and are using Streaming Services instead? Bleh.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I've already accepted the fact that the interests of indiedevs and those of the players are not aligning anymore, and thus, they do not give a shit about me, and reversely, i won't give a shit about them anymore.

Oh well. :H02shrug:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

「Echo」 Looks like Yoko's mobile game is getting a Manga?

Yay to more stuff not getting localized for me :h02exhaust:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If someone's buying your game on Steam, someone's buying your game on Steam. How they play it should be their decision.

Were developers angry about Proton? Because while obviously on a technical level running a game on a Windows server miles away is totally different than getting your game to run in Linux via some sort of compatibility layer, the end goal (and the principle of the matter) is about getting the Steam version of the game played by more people. And in the end, when people buy a Windows version of the game that version of the game should be theirs to play on any platform that can play Windows games, whether it's hardware they own or hardware they're renting.

I see a streaming service like GeForce Now as not really all that different than me renting a PC from a company for a month and playing my games on that. If Google has a problem with that, then that's Google's problem. That shouldn't be a developer's problem. And most people who buy a game on Steam aren't then going to buy a second version on a failing cloud service just so they can access it on the devices they already own. This is especially so in a world where most developers abjectly refuse to even get any sort of cross-save functionality going on.

I don't see this as anything but pure greed and contempt towards paying customers.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I've already accepted the fact that the interests of indiedevs and those of the players are not aligning anymore, and thus, they do not give a shit about me, and reversely, i won't give a shit about them anymore.

Oh well. :H02shrug:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

「Echo」 Looks like Yoko's mobile game is getting a Manga?

Yay to more stuff not getting localized for me :h02exhaust:
That mobage localization is dead isn't it?

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
That mobage localization is dead isn't it?
Yea, it was supposed to release 9 months ago and then was indefinitely delayed.
Yokos first manga also has been licensed for localization almost 3 years ago and there's not been any news since.

Part of me is hoping these things are being delibaretly witheld to release alongside an announcement for his next game (which should happen this year), but my hope ain't high

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Never used a rice cooker in my life. I cook all my rice in the Instant Pot.

Reactions: lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
What would you like them to do? To be honest, there's not much to do with CS other than some relatively minor tweaks here and there (e.g. economy, gun balance) or maybe another remade map. I'd assume lootboxes are still making most of the money and considering the quality of the current operation after ~2 years of waiting, I'd be surprised to see them make battlepasses regularly.
Battlepasses are a surefire way to implode your userbase unless you find ever new ways to make the next season more "exciting". You will burn out your userbase in no time, you can't just go back to the way it was before.

Reactions: xinek

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
A pro-tip for all rice cooker owners
Don't use the rice cooker's bowl when you are washing the rice. In the long run you will damage the bowl and the cooked rice will stick to it. I haven't seen that you can buy those bowls separately, not here in Sweden. So use another bowl to wash to the rice to have a long lasting rice cooker.
When cleaning the bowl, just pour water into it and let the rice become soft and soggy before you clean the wash the bowl :)

TLDR;
Take care of the bowl

Reactions: lashman and Angelo

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
My rice cooker from Aldi just stopped working after 2 weeks :( Too much hassle to refund it for 20€

Wereverine

Jan 30, 2019
I don't really see the need for a rice cooker. Cooking rice in a sauce pot on the stove works well enough for me. Pour the uncooked rice into a cold pot, and add 2x the volume of cold water and a pinch of salt. Put the pot on high heat and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to the lowest setting and cover the pot. Leave the pot undisturbed for 25 minutes, don't stir it or anything. Once the 25 minutes are up, you should get a perfectly cooked pot of rice.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
The epitome of asset flips. With that price i would also call it a scam.

The template for this "game":

Money laundering.

Release game with high price, but ton of copies with illegitimate money (stolen cards, etc) profit

Reactions: Mor

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Get a Japanese made from reputable brand. My friend have a Xiaomi rice cooker and they said that it's better than the Japanese one.

Anyway about GFN

That's really, really shitty. I'm tired and I can't phrase this properly but the degree of greed necessary to want to deny a customer the right to play his game just because the hardware isn't located in his home is absurd. Between EGS exclusivity deals, the GoG refund policy reactions and this, I am starting to get a very, very negative picture of developers that I used to have only of publishers before.

You bought the product, how you play it isn't anybody's business and certainly not an authoritarian dev that takes itself for a diva.

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
That's really, really shitty. I'm tired and I can't phrase this properly but the degree of greed necessary to want to deny a customer to play his game just because the hardware isn't located in his home is absurd. Between EGS exclusivity deals, the GoG refund policy reactions and this, I am starting to get a very, very negative picture of developers that I used to have only of publishers before.

You bought the product, how you play it isn't anybody's business and certainly not an authoritarian dev that takes itself for a diva.
yuuup

I dont like having a negative image of devs, but they just keep pushing their greed over and over. and yeah, it is by far not only publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.