Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Anyone notice Steam's mad disrespect for us by listing 3gb vram in BPM? It's 3,5! Jeez, get it right Valve.
actually - it's 4GB ... just ask nvidia :smirking-face:

We will see, lash, we will see, I still don't know if it's happening in March or at a later date :p
who knows ... i bet even they don't know :p

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
I'm starting to believe the Index will never be back in stock. Oh well, I didn't want to play Alyx and Beat Saber anyway...

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm starting to believe the Index will never be back in stock. Oh well, I didn't want to play Alyx and Beat Saber anyway...
blame madjoki ... he wants to swindle Gaben with his wallet money ... that's why it's not back in stock yet ;)

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
I'll be getting GBVS and Doom. Infinite replay value for GBVS and I just really like Doom.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
The only game i know i'm buying is Animal Crossing, because it's a Nintendo game, so might as well just buy day one since the price will stay high for a while anyway. I want Doom too but i know it'll be cheap by the end of the year anyway so i'll probably just wait. Ori will be played through Gamepass. Also might get GBVS depending on the price and the quality of the port.

As for Alyx, i already got it for free thanks to Valve, so i'm set on that front!

Reactions: 「Echo」

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Has there been any word on how long Alyx is? I want to play it at my friends house when I visit this summer. The catch is that VR makes me so fucking nauseous if I play for more than like 20 minutes at a time.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I'm currently playing Dark Souls 3 and so far it's easier than what I expected.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What are affordable vr headsets anyway?
Windows headsets mostly + CV1, those 2 are the best way to find a cheap option, if not, Quest but I would only recommend that if stand-alone use would be useful for you.

Has there been any word on how long Alyx is? I want to play it at my friends house when I visit this summer. The catch is that VR makes me so fucking nauseous if I play for more than like 20 minutes at a time.
Around 18 hours IIRC.

From their recent newsletter
CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME!!!!! April 7 can't come soon enough :cat-heart-blob: :cat-heart-blob: :cat-heart-blob:

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Hello! I am new here, I primarily play on PC and handhelds. Like pretty much any and all genres. Been playing games ever since I was little as my grandmother got me into gaming. I have seen this place have some great recommendations, so I wanted to join! :blobmorning2:

___
This past month I have played a decent amount of World of Horror and I have say I love it. It reminds me of some board games I have played such as Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror. I am excited to see what is added to the combat rework and when mods are introduced.

Speaking of board games, I will be playing some more Gloomhaven with friends later today. Has anyone played the early access PC version recently?

One of my friends had bought it on release and recommended to wait since it was sparse at the time, but I know they have since updated a fair amount.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What are affordable vr headsets anyway?
Windows Mixed Reality, Oculus Rift S and Oculust Quest.

Maybe the VIVE and OG Rift, but they require external tracking (sensors) and the Vive is not sold anymore in USA (from what Ive been told) and it has the old Vive Wands (the Index Controllers and Oculus Touch are far superior) and the OG Rift is not sold anymore.

Don't even think about the Vive Cosmos. The tracking is apparently still shit.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
March will be a great month, but I have lots of work so I can't take any days off. So I don't know when to play all these games. Already bought Doom Eternal and HL:Alyx, will doubledip (but not play) on ToCS 3. I'll probably also get Langrisser, GBVS and Record of Lodoss War.

Reactions: skLaFarebear

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Bit curious about something: What's the consensus here on Bloodstained ?
I'm asking because I have played a few hours of it already, and gotta say I'm not very moved by it. It's just "okay". And I really like Metroidvania games, usually. One of my gripes is that movement in this game feels bad, you can't grap edges or anything and Miriam can't jump very far, The levels also all seem very small and cramped. The other, more important reason, is that the game seems to punish exploration. If you push ahead too much, you quickly run into a boss fight, and those tend to go on forever. So if you aren't stocked well in potions and other equipement, then you're dead. This is made harder by the fact that bosses don't have a health bar, which is usually a great way of understanding if you doing well in the fight or not. Removing it doesn't make the fight harder, just opaque and therefore frustrating. Was I doing good? Did I win by accident? Well, guess it's trial and error to find out.

It's funny, because I really like SOTN, but this game just feels frustrating in a way that SOTN doesn't. I think it's due to the fact that SOTN was, for the most part, a really easy game, and a lot of its flaws were easily overlooked because of it. This game somehow thinks that a challenging 5 minute boss fight is good fit for it, which just serves to shine a light on all those issues.
I also really like SOTN and I think you are giving Bloodstained short shrift here.

I did not find the game hard generally, but also the game rewards grinding (there are a metric fuck-ton of crafting materials that you should use liberally). Being stocked on potions was definitely a thing though. I definitely did a lot of grinding out potion mats. That said, I disagree that it punishes exploration. There is a lot to see and opening all the chests and in each area and finding secret rooms is fun in the same way that filling out that map in SOTN was.
There are also some REALLY powerful shards and weapons that you can get early on that may make things easier.

The game is kind of annoying at the start with the movement but that is the way of the metriodvania, IMO. Eventually the double jump really helps things and later on there are a couple bonkers powers that make your complaints about movement totally void. They are more late game though so I don't want to spoil in case you keep at it. LMK if you're interested and I'll tell you about them.

I'm curious what they are going to do with that game. They have said there are more playable characters coming, so maybe that's what they are working on, but I'm not sure that just playing a Johannes or Gebel is enough to make me want to play the whole thing again unless its a different castle.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Hello! I am new here, I primarily play on PC and handhelds. Like pretty much any and all genres. Been playing games ever since I was little as my grandmother got me into gaming. I have seen this place have some great recommendations, so I wanted to join! :blobmorning2:

___
This past month I have played a decent amount of World of Horror and I have say I love it. It reminds me of some board games I have played such as Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror. I am excited to see what is added to the combat rework and when mods are introduced.

Speaking of board games, I will be playing some more Gloomhaven with friends later today. Has anyone played the early access PC version recently?

One of my friends had bought it on release and recommended to wait since it was sparse at the time, but I know they have since updated a fair amount.
Welcome! 👋

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The game is kind of annoying at the start with the movement but that is the way of the metriodvania, IMO. Eventually the double jump really helps things and later on there are a couple bonkers powers that make your complaints about movement totally void. They are more late game though so I don't want to spoil in case you keep at it. LMK if you're interested and I'll tell you about them.
Hmm, that's very good to hear. Guess I'll start going to back to older areas to grind, then. Didn't really carry more than a few potions at a time with me , so maybe that's the reason I'm having a harder time with this game than with SOTN.
Thanks for your input

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

___

I've played the World of Horror demo for a bit after I learned of the game and quite liked it.
I'm really looking forward to the full release (don't really play Early Access games until they hit 1.0).

And welcome! :)

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Bit curious about something: What's the consensus here on Bloodstained ?
I'm asking because I have played a few hours of it already, and gotta say I'm not very moved by it. It's just "okay". And I really like Metroidvania games, usually. One of my gripes is that movement in this game feels bad, you can't grap edges or anything and Miriam can't jump very far, The levels also all seem very small and cramped. The other, more important reason, is that the game seems to punish exploration. If you push ahead too much, you quickly run into a boss fight, and those tend to go on forever. So if you aren't stocked well in potions and other equipement, then you're dead. This is made harder by the fact that bosses don't have a health bar, which is usually a great way of understanding if you doing well in the fight or not. Removing it doesn't make the fight harder, just opaque and therefore frustrating. Was I doing good? Did I win by accident? Well, guess it's trial and error to find out.

It's funny, because I really like SOTN, but this game just feels frustrating in a way that SOTN doesn't. I think it's due to the fact that SOTN was, for the most part, a really easy game, and a lot of its flaws were easily overlooked because of it. This game somehow thinks that a challenging 5 minute boss fight is good fit for it, which just serves to shine a light on all those issues.
I have to agree that I was disappointed in coming to Bloodstained from SOTN and only found it ok.
Big gripe I had in particular was that I found it rather surprisingly grindy also.

Reactions: QFNS

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Oh neat, I always want to participate in those PlayTracker Quests but I always forget about them. Might be a good excuse for me to play through Half-Life 2 and it's episodes again (I first played through it on PS3, blasphemy I know)

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
it's really good, fantastic music and design, a bit weird to control though.
Agreed, I loved the music, some of the tracks are extremely memorable. Though the controls took me a bit to get use to, a handful of songs felt like I was always slightly off the beat in one way or another. Still not sure if I ever became fully use to them, but still liked the game overall.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Just saw Dark Waters about the Teflon issue and since my rice cooker has been flaking, I'm now in the "I'm already dead" mindset.XD
Yeah, teflon shouldn't ever come into contact with food. I'm all about cast iron. What bothers me a little is that you know every restaurant on earth uses non-stick stuff (and aluminum because it's cheap) wherever they can.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah, teflon shouldn't ever come into contact with food. I'm all about cast iron. What bothers me a little is that you know every restaurant on earth uses non-stick stuff (and aluminum because it's cheap) wherever they can.
Yeah it sucks also that my rice cooker started pealing off that shit pretty much after one month and it's the only way for me to cook so I have to keep eating. Will get a new one this month, there are some that proudly say they are teflon free.:D

When I move to a proper place and can start cooking I will probably get cast iron stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.