Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Windows store/game pass games are not showing up anymore in GOG Galaxy 2. :( I have reconnected, resynchronised and restartet GOG Galaxy 2. Nothing.

I have Bleeding Edge and Surge 2 installed to check them out, but I keep forgetting them unless I start GOG Galaxy 2.

Deleted member 113

I was checking twitter, and an account I follow that posts pulp literature, old advertising, and similar stuff posted this image that I found funny, for reasons some users of this forum may understand :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes::

The tweet in question:

Sorry, lashman, you know I never mention other forums, but I found this image hilarious. :giggle:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Has anyone tried this?
Time mechanics look interesting.

(I had never heard of it before, doesn't exactly bode well for this launch :/)
I reviewed it and quite liked it, although it does have a few issues. The time mechanic is indeed well made. If you have any questions, ask away.

Reactions: BlueOdin and Arsene

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I reviewed it and quite liked it, although it does have a few issues. The time mechanic is indeed well made. If you have any questions, ask away.
That's enough for me to put it on my wishlist ;)

I'll buy it just to try "DLSS 2.0" first hand.
So, at least in this game, DLSS 2.0 is really quite neat. I have to say I'm impressed.

Spot the difference:

I did discover some artifacts related to bright emissive materials in another environment, but they were honestly rather minor.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I can hardly really tell, in the link that they post it seems like it shows the character attacking with a crowbar but that seems to be about it. (It's hard to tell with pixel style art some times
Here is my friend code in case any one wants to visit my island
SW-3727-0638-3881
Here is my friend code in case any one wants to visit my island
SW-3727-0638-3881

Last edited:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Just finished Half Life Alyx, jeez what a fantastic game. Just extremely polished VR gameplay with great gameplay scenarios, interesting exploration, great environments, just everything. It's what you would have wanted out of a true Half Life sequel, but it's just so much extra with all the VR mechanics on top. The action and challenge really did ramp up, but I didn't ever face any real stiff challenge on normal. Started a 'hard' run. I think normal will be fine for the average VR gamer though.

Man, by the end with the story stuff - just incredible. I'll say no more. I think what will stick with me the most is just the world and the environments etc. The occupied Earth is just so, so much more vivid now.

It wasn't perfect, of course. I ran into a 'soft lock' and a couple crashes before the recent patch. I have a save near the end that can't progress because I actually blasted through a zone so skillfully the trigger to allow me into the next area didn't fire. I also still did miss the physics puzzles, but I think the replayability will be higher as a result.

Cyberpunk's gonna have a hard time living up to Alyx, but maybe I'll be surprised. But yeah probably a shoe-in for my GOTY.

Side note, but when are VR speed runners gonna become a thing? There are some great games for speed running out now.

Have almost 12 hours clocked but some of that time was idle so I'd say it took me 9-10 hours of actual gameplay. I ended up being able to upgrade my weapons about 75%.

Also, pretty sure this is my favorite game in years, even though there are some close runners-up - Beat Saber, Astro Bot, Robo Recall, in the past 4 years anyways...

P.S. Played through on my Oculus CV1. The controls were just perfectly natural throughout.

Found it real useful in some sections to carry around a bucket filled with items, such as spare grenades. REALLY helped in a few sections to bring 8+ grenades to a battle!

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Oh snap, it's out already?

*checks on Steam reviews

Uh..
The game is good (I'm actually a big fan of TRPGs), though I feel that €30 is too much for this game. It provides too little actual content, I mean sure you can complete the story in 20hrs-ish which is pretty respectable, but the ACTUAL CONTENT of the game is lacking ie. you can't level up, or equip items, or customize your appearance, or create different 'builds' for your party. The game only really allows you to select a single 'talent' or skill at the end of each mission, and that's it! That's really the only input that you as a player has with regards to how your character progresses...
So it's not a RPG, skip.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

So, at least in this game, DLSS 2.0 is really quite neat. I have to say I'm impressed.

Spot the difference:

I did discover some artifacts related to bright emissive materials in another environment, but they were honestly rather minor.
In some spots it's indistinguishable. In others, like the rocks, it's really blurry by comparison. You can tell detail is missing.

Reactions: lashman

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

Spot the difference:

The bottom one is nicer to me. The differences become really apparent when you look over the gun. Less blur on edges.

What is the top AA solution and which is the bottom?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The bottom one is nicer to me. The differences become really apparent when you look over the gun. Less blur on edges.

DLSS idea is to make games rendered at 1440p look like they’re running at 4K, or 1080p games to look like 1440p. Yeah there's some loss of detail as you saw, it's not magic or anything, but it definitely doesn't look like a 1080p image upscaled with traditional methods and some simple AA on top either.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Didn't even try Alyx. These last few days have been hard on the mind. Tempted to go Animal Crossing and hope for some positive vibes.
I'm also interested in The Room VR, depending on the price.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Spot the difference:

By the blurriness, I guess the top one is DLSS, but it also tanks the framerate so I'm not sure I understand the point of this. Wouldn't it make more sense to compare native 4K with DLSS run at a lower resolution?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Isn't the "magic" wit DLSS2 that you get better framrates AND better image?
My understanding was that renders at a lower resolution than you current one, which explains both performance gains (when compared with the rendering it natively at a high resolution) , and higher image quality (when comparing it with the lower resolution DLSS starts from)

Reactions: Le Pertti

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Man HL:A......

When you get the little torch in that spooky dark tunnel and then those horrible toxic black headcrab guys start coming at you.

Scared the hell out of me.

Reactions: Durante and Mor

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

By the blurriness, I guess the top one is DLSS, but it also tanks the framerate so I'm not sure I understand the point of this. Wouldn't it make more sense to compare native 4K with DLSS run at a lower resolution?
The bottom one is DLSS.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
In some spots it's indistinguishable. In others, like the rocks, it's really blurry by comparison. You can tell detail is missing.
Looking back on it today, a lot of the bluriness in detail are surprisingly on the original image with a small oversharpening amount on the DLSS ones or artifacts left by motion blur on the leaves. The difference in framerate puzzles me though.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The most significant artifacts I've found so far are on the high-contrast transitions around the bright lines here:

So it's not magic, but it's pretty good.
I'm completely out of the loop, but I seem to understand DLSS is basically upsampling from a lower-resolution image. This technique appears to be heads and shoulders above any upsampling technique, including checkerboard rendering. Would you agree?

Also does it rely on temporal reprojection to know which pixels to discard?

Status
Not open for further replies.