Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Hey! New month, new thread!

I actually completed ObsCure back in 2014! Good times!

This month sees the release of Evil Genius 2, and I think I will have to get it immediately.... Still haven't had time to finish Yakuza 0....

Reactions: lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
You know what you have to do, let's do this, PS/Swtich/Steam ONION GAMES, BBY!!!! :blobeyes::blobeyes::blobeyes:
Ask them for Steam ports, don't feel this is begging, they are asking for your opinion, so, the more people, the better.

Everyone fill the form. They might finally being Chulip to PC
WE NEED TO DO OUR BEST TO LET THEM KNOW THAT WE WANT ONION GAMES ON PC :cat-heart-blob::cat-heart-blob::cat-heart-blob:

Moon, Chulip, UFO, RoR (if possible given that it's a Sony IP...)

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
How would you rank games in the Humble Choice for March value-wise? I would say the following, but I am unsure about some games, especially WWE.
Headliners:
  1. Control
  2. ELEX
  3. XCOM: Chimera Squad
High tier:
  1. WWE 2K Battlegrounds
  2. Wildfire
Medium tier:
  1. Kingdom Two Crowns
  2. Ageless
Low tier:
  1. Hotshot Racing
  2. Cyber Hook
Fodder:
  1. Boreal Blade
  2. Peaky Blinders: Mastermind
  3. Pesterquest
Any disagreement?

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Great work as always lashman

Probably just Loop Hero and Yakuza 6 for me this month. And the former just because I preordered it when I was in a buying mood. Haven’t even played the demo.
Otherwise I am trying to play purchases made in the last couple of Steam Sales. Not like I have much choice to do something else with my 970. If my 2070 Super gets fixed I'll probably get back into Nioh 2 and finally dive into Valheim

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Interested in a bunch of things this month, Loop Hero already pre-ordered and then I'll see.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Durante

tl;dr:
  • GTA solo mode takes 1 min to load, while GTA online mode takes 6 min to load
  • a hacker investigates without direct access to the source code
  • this hacker succeeds at decreasing the load time of the online mode to 2 min by fixing Rockstar's noob mistakes

Last edited:

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Durante

tl;dr:
  • this hacker succeeds at decreasing the load time of the online mode to 2 min by fixing Rockstar's noob mistakes
That was a damn interesting read.
BTW, any thoughts on

It's today's daily and looks interesting.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I read it yesterday. Nice work.

I think it's a good example of people not profiling nearly enough (or when they do, not with the correct dataset / in the correct circumstances). Half of my optimization lecture is about measuring correctly.

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
I am terrible in Apex Legends especially the weapon customization on the fly. It plays, looks, and sounds great though.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Strong disagreement.
Interesting. You value Elex higher than Control! And you value Peaky Blinders and Kingdom much higher than I thought. Peaky Blinders had been bundled a few times already, so that is why I thought it would be much lower in the ranking. As for Kingdom, I agree that the game has some appeal, although it is in a niche.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Yakuza 4 Remasteres looks so much better than Yakuza 3 Remastered, it doesnt even feel like they were originally released a year apart.

Reactions: QFNS

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Durante

tl;dr:
I made similarly botched parsing code (not json, word per line) back in school C++ class with Hagman game spending long tim reading wordlist. (I did figure out something was wrong tho and was able to fix it). I think it was something stupid looping thorough linked list every time adding new word rather than keeping reference to previously added element).

Hard to believe code like that makes to AAAAAAAAA game. (at least both problems are not directly in their own code tho)

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
New thread smell.
TY for the thread as always.
Amazing thread as always.
Thanks @lashman for the thread!
Ahhh that lovely new thread smell. Thanks lashman.
Thanks for the thread.
Excellent thread as always @lashman .
Hey.....so what's with this months thread title????? Did I have something to do with that?
Thanks @lashman for another great thread!:photoblobheart:
Great thread @lashman
Nothing like a fresh smell of a new monthly thread in the morning
Great thread @lashman 😍
Great work as always @lashman
Good to see videogames are still a thing. Nice work @lashman!
Lovely new thread @lashman thanks very much.

I've had Obscure sitting in my backlog for years.

So... is this the month? Is this where I dive into the massive black hole known as my backlog and snag this retro gem?

BTW, any thoughts on

It's today's daily and looks interesting.
yes ... it's GREAT ... buy it! :) you won't regret it, i guarantee it

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
How would you rank games in the Humble Choice for March value-wise? I would say the following, but I am unsure about some games, especially WWE.

Any disagreement?
I don't know about WWE being high tier. I'd probably throw it down to Medium, and bring Hotshot up there with it.

Speaking of Hotshot Racing

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I FINALLY got a response from Voidu on my Bloodlines 2 cancellation after over a month.

According to the support email I got they’re actually going to be refunding all Bloodlines 2 pre orders because of the latest delay, and that’s why my request has been taking so long (even though my cancellation request was before the latest delay announcement but hey)

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
Interesting. You value Elex higher than Control! And you value Peaky Blinders and Kingdom much higher than I thought. Peaky Blinders had been bundled a few times already, so that is why I thought it would be much lower in the ranking. As for Kingdom, I agree that the game has some appeal, although it is in a niche.
Well, Elex is cool and fun and a gem but Control wasn't really my cup of tea. I didn't give it a proper chance though, so I'll probably get back to it at some point. ;)

Peaky Blinders and Kingdom are the only ones I recognize of the rest. :shrugblob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Shit, didn't realize Maquette is out tommorrow. I love the design, look and concept of the game, but Im currently playing P5S, started a bit on Stranded Deep yesterday and Loop hero is out on the 4th.

dammit

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I don't know about WWE being high tier. I'd probably throw it down to Medium, and bring Hotshot up there with it.
Well, Elex is cool and fun and a gem but Control wasn't really my cup of tea. I didn't give it a proper chance though, so I'll probably get back to it at some point. ;)

Peaky Blinders and Kingdom are the only ones I recognize of the rest. :shrugblob:
Thanks for your inputs!

Speaking of Hotshot Racing
I appreciate that, contrary to the Time Crisis games, there is not a white screen each time the player shoots. That got me nauseated back in the old days.

Edit: So awful, even on Youtube:

By the way, Valve has never bothered fixing the white screen which appears for every fight in Artifact. Thankfully, the issue is less noticeable in version 2.0 because fights happen simultaneously in the three lanes, which results in a 3x decrease of the number of white screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabs and xxr

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
New Thread ! :cat-heart-blob:

But getting back on topic Li Kao how's your new litter box holding up?
I see some people feel cheeky today :disapproval-blob:
Do not risk my ire, I own the keys to this thread's survival. I can invoke the Great Old Ones, Bloodborne, God of War 3, Tim Sweeney. At the same time. It would be just like the Huns, not even weeds would grow again here.
That being said I should clean the litter :anguished-face:

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019

Intro
A Mega X Touhou Fangame With No X.
Story
Incident occurred! Sanae to solve it!
System
  • Jump and Slash Platform Action Game.
  • Beat all Bosses and Get New Ability.
  • Enemies are weak to one Ability.
  • After you beat 8 bosses, then you get few more stage.
  • All stage is Rogue-unlike stage. Stage design by human.
  • Rogue-unlike upgrade system. Anything you get in stage will not lost.
  • Soul-unlike attack system. It don't have stamina limit. You can attack unlimited times if you like.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
What's the story about the translation though ? I think I read it was horribly full of memes at one point but it was corrected ? Was the translation bad or the source ? And I still see recent bad user reviews about the dialogs being difficult to understand.
What's reality and what's hyperbole ?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What's the story about the translation though ? I think I read it was horribly full of memes at one point but it was corrected ? Was the translation bad or the source ? And I still see recent bad user reviews about the dialogs being difficult to understand.
What's reality and what's hyperbole ?
well i haven't played it at launch (early access launch), so i don't know ... but it's all good now

Reactions: FunnyJay and Li Kao

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Durante

tl;dr:
This is fascinating

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks for the great thread, @lashman .
i try to make it interesting :D thanks :cat-heart-blob:

Amazing work as always lashman <3
awww, thank you! :blobhug:

Another month, another round of recommendations added to the wishlist. Damn you @lashman :surrenderblob:
you're welcome :p

New thread smell :coffee-blob:
Thanks as always, lashman! Lots of cool games coming out this month too, apparently!
yeah, some pretty cool ones coming out this month :photoblobheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.