Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Me and my brother played Moving Out yesterday via Steam Remote. I connected to his streaming and worked flawlessly. I could use my controller. The game was fun to play and there is a lot of cooperation in order to beat each level.

After we played it I thought that we should try something from my side. So I picked a game which has support for Steam Remote and invited my brother. He was able to connect, but for some reason his
controllerr wasn't detected. I tried another game and still nothing. Is there some settings that I need to do in order to detect his controller?
I can't really answer you but I did use Parsec with my brother (a long time ago) and I did have to check some option to enable remote hardware detection by the host.

Edit: according to Steam's help Nabs might be on the right track: "Some games use raw input instead of XInput or DirectInput and are not yet supported.".

What kind of controller is he using? I love my DS4 controller but it's sometimes kind of a PITA.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Looks great.

Sooo how about the story? Is it self containted or should I play everything from the first chapter?
Think about it like a very long book series. Sure, you can jump in the middle of a new one, and the authors do make a point to introduce everything to you. But reading the earlier stuff will just make you far more invested in what's going on. It will elevate certain scenes from small things you will miss, to really nice callbacks, and when meeting older characters you will actually get a better idea about the interconnected story.
And on PC, you can play all of the so far localized games. Even the Crossbell arc is getting amazing fan localization patches that at least rival the work that XSeed has put in. The first Crossbell game is already fan translated, and the patch of the second game is coming out "soon".

I def. recommend you start with Trails in the Sky FC. It's a slow burn, so you need to give it some time, but that slow build up is then used in SC to get the story moving much faster while still allowing you to care about what's happening.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I always wanted to get into the series, but it's quite an investment, isn't it? There are like 10+ games now in total? And even the original trilogy are still quite pricey. After all these years, they're so stingy and never give a better discount than 25% or 35% off. It always turns me off from the franchise. They're also quite lengthy RPGs but I don't really mind the time investment as long as they're good.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
That real time battle system is going to be awesome to dispatch trash mobs, really happy with that and the fact that there's no transition between exploration and battles.
Older protag is also a plus. The age gap with the heroine is huge though, maybe they'll surprise me and there's actually no romance betweent hose 2 but I doubt it.
The young girl feels like a Fie clone but I'm assuming they realize that and made her different enough in terms of personality and backstory.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Yes, indeed he had it enabled. I asked him to disable it. Will try later tonight to see if it works
I'll be honest, I've been having some controller issues through remote streaming as well. If you figure it out, let me know.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
I remained loyal to Artifact through a lot over the past four years, and being left out to dry for it has been enough to permanently sour my feelings on Valve, a company I've loved for over a decade. I have cancelled my Dota Plus subscription, which I have had since the service launched, and uninstalled Dota 2. I have purchased The International Compendium/Battle Pass every single year since 2015, but I will not be purchasing the next. I got attached to Artifact in the first place because I love Dota and its setting, and I still do, but that's all the more reason I no longer trust it in Valve's hands. I will not buy any future Valve releases, nor support its existing releases, and while Steam is sadly too big at this point to avoid entirely, I will be looking at alternative platforms like GOG and Epic for any future games I'm interested in.
It could be a Twitch copy-pasta. :lul: He will reinstall Dota2, that is for sure. I have been there. :kappa:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I always wanted to get into the series, but it's quite an investment, isn't it? There are like 10+ games now in total? And even the original trilogy are still quite pricey. After all these years, they're so stingy and never give a better discount than 25% or 35% off. It always turns me off from the franchise. They're also quite lengthy RPGs but I don't really mind the time investment as long as they're good.
The three Sky games and Zero/Ao are must-play. Personally can't recommend Cold Steel series as I think they have serious pacing and story issues after finishing the first two games. Last one before Kuro is Hajime, which is not yet localized, and impressions are actually pretty good.

I would recommend playing the first three Sky games first. Falcom leaves some stuff unexplained for later games, but overall it is a great trilogy.
no romance
Yeah that's not happening🤣

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and texhnolyze

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Personally I'd say start with a sub-serires that looks interesting to you. If it grabs you, you'll go back to the older ones anyway.
(At least for Cold Steel 1+2 and Sky Trilogy, haven't played any of the others).
You will get some "spoilers" for the older games and miss callbacks, but it's not such a fragile series then knowing a few "twists" in advance will ruin things and it's probably more important to get a foot into the door.

Ideally though, the Sky trilogy is the best starting point and if Cold Steel is anything to go by, then a subseries will start fairly "self-contained" but will eventually connect back to everything else and that's where having played the rest becomes more important (or at least, you should get a lot more out of the games).

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
You can get Sky FC for 50% off but XSEED is stingy with sales in general

Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
So who here is not in the states but subscribed to choice from the states?

As I understand it is from purchasing location, how does that work with auto renewal?

Do I need to connect to a dedicated US ip location with my VPN when just logging in to humble every time?

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I already have FC. I haven't played it yet because I've been waiting for a good price for SC and TC. I completely forgot about it along the way because the discounts never changed, and thus I end up never playing it.
They're banking on people buying FC and finishing it, and those people being more likely to be willing to pay the regular discounted price for SC.
Which is true to an extent from experience, when FC clicks it really clicks and it ends with one evil cliffhanger.

You're right that they're likely loosing "I want to buy the entire trilogy for cheap at once before starting" people like you, who aren't invested into the series yet.

I would recommend just playing FC since you already have it, and after you finish it you might be willing to buy SC regardless.
They're worth the asking price imo, but I dunno how it looks like with regional pricing.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
The only thing I know about the series is my friend telling me to play the Crossbell games, the only ones that aren't on Steam :dizzy-face:

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Well, you should play the Sky trilogy before Crossbell anyway.
I have the Sky trilogy in my list of games to play soon(ish), what is the best way to play the Crossbell ones after that? Any chance of a global Steam release or something similar?

Reactions: QFNS

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I have the Sky trilogy in my list of games to play soon(ish), what is the best way to play the Crossbell ones after that? Any chance of a global Steam release or something similar?
I'd say theres a chance but thats probably gonna take a few years if it happens

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I already have FC. I haven't played it yet because I've been waiting for a good price for SC and TC. I completely forgot about it along the way because the discounts never changed, and thus I end up never playing it.
That's more or less my personal experience as well except the fact that I finished FC in 2014 and funny enough I started playing it again recently. I'm now near the end of my second playthrough and I have to admit I'm enjoying the game more overall than my first time with it.

I've been waiting for years to see the rest of the series with a higher discount but alas not luck and I don't think it will happen anytime soon. The franchise is treated in a similar way to other Japanese games like the Final Fantasy franchise.

In the end they don't want to devaluate one of their most beloved and acclaimed franchises which I can understand from a business perspective but at the same time as a consumer I'm not willing to pay that much for many 0ld games that are really a straight port of PS1/2 time like FFVII and VIII.

• Eyes
Reactions: Ge0force

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
That's more or less my personal experience as well except the fact that I finished FC in 2014 and funny enough I started playing it again recently. I'm now near the end of my second playthrough and I have to admit I'm enjoying the game more overall than my first time with it.

I've been waiting for years to see the rest of the series with a higher discount but alas not luck and I don't think it will happen anytime soon. The franchise is treated in a similar way to other Japanese games like the Final Fantasy franchise.

In the end they don't want to devaluate one of their most beloved and acclaimed franchises which I can understand from a business perspective but at the same time as a consumer I'm not willing to pay that much for many 0ld games that are really a straight port of PS1/2 time like FFVII and VIII.
The sky games are actually proper PC games.
They started out on PC and then were ported to PSP with some extras. These features have been backported though.
It's immediately noticeable, because they are super comfy to play with a Mouse and Keyboard (or rather, Mouse alone, you really don't even need a keyboard).
Xseed also added various enhancements, like the turbo modes, to them. A lot of care went into these, they are not just straight ports.
(But I guess you were more talking about the FF games here)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Team red? I basically know nothing about Cameras so please tell me more about this "team red"

I wanted to get the T7 since that's a very cheap price but both that and the T6 sold out right away.

So the T7 are all brand new and the rest of the cameras that I listed (including the one that I got) are all slightly used but they should still Include the box since the company does this once a year or something like that, so they know that the people that they are selling this stuff to will want the box, or at least that is my assumption.

Now I am going to have to find out about lens, I mainly plan to take pictures of stuff rather close up.
It's mostly a childish, tongue-in-cheek joke about the two big entry-level camera makers, Nikon being yellow and Canon being red, on account of their logos and color schemes. And by entry-level, I mean by that that the body can perform well at prices only in the low 4-figures range. Looking at you, Hasselblad.

If you want to take pictures of stuff close up, I think you may be interested in focal lengths from 50mm and up, 85mm if full-frame :).
There's anime among the killed apps.

I can live with that "remaster" going away temporarily :p.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Bonfires Down made a great thread in the board next door. Good content being good content, I will gladly link it.
Image heavy.

In other pinging news, I have to ping Durante and all other DRPG fans here. Just to remind you that the new Experience game, Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited, will release in a couple of days.
And a bonus question for those in the know, is the Revisited SOSC worth waiting for for a first time player ? Or should I simply play the old version ?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
The sky games are actually proper PC games.
They started out on PC and then were ported to PSP with some extras. These features have been backported though.
It's immediately noticeable, because they are super comfy to play with a Mouse and Keyboard (or rather, Mouse alone, you really don't even need a keyboard).
Xseed also added various enhancements, like the turbo modes, to them. A lot of care went into these, they are not just straight ports.
(But I guess you were more talking about the FF games here)
Yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I really meant FF on my previous post. I should have clarified that.
I meant I wish Trails in the Sky games were at least discounted to a minimum of 50% off (Standard Square-Enix discount) which was what I had on mind when I was comparing them to FF games on price.

In summary for me FF old games are games I want to own as a collector for pure nostalgia sentiment but Trails in the Sky are games I'm willingly to own to be able to play them, that is the biggest distinction between both examples.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Makes sense they would pick Cold Steel. It's the one that's the most Anime, even by Trails standards.

Reactions: QFNS
Status
Not open for further replies.