Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Factions was one of the best online games of all time. They could have sold it separately and printed money with it
well that's what they're doing, the multiplayer standalone game is confirmed and should be coming on PC on D1 as well

• Gib
Reactions: xinek

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Friend gifted me Supraland Six Inches Under for Christmas and i started playing it like week ago and today i finished main story today. Another amazing game from Supraland team. This as as they said Supraland 1.5 and that's exactly what it is. They did reuse a lot of assets from the first game but there are a lot of new ones. Same goes for abilities (they say that 50% is old and 0% is new). But core of the game, puzzles, are really good and clever. As you progress they tried to make you use all the tools that game gives you to solve puzzles. I must admit that i did scratch my head on few occasions but overall puzzles have good balance and i don't think that anyone will have issue finishing main path. But then they went step above and made side puzzles a bit harder and compared to the first game you are like 50% done after you finish main path. Yes endgame content is massive for smallish game like this. Don't get me wrong it still took me around 11h to finish main path with exploring around and that is without endgame content

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I've noticed 2 key factors that have led to so many ports being bad in recent years: UE4 and DX12. Both resulted in a lot of issues that are solvable on the developer end, like implementing shader compiling and from what I was told DX12 doesn't automate as many things as 11 did which is why it's always worse. It wasn't as much of a problem when we could still swap between the two but these days you're seeing more and more DX12 only games. Obviously there's likely more to the overall picture but those are the two things I've seen come up most often in these constant busted ports. Sometimes they even overlap like with FF7 Remake if you put a command to force it in DX11 it will have dramatically less shader stutter..

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I've noticed 2 key factors that have led to so many ports being bad in recent years: UE4 and DX12. Both resulted in a lot of issues that are solvable on the developer end, like implementing shader compiling and from what I was told DX12 doesn't automate as many things as 11 did which is why it's always worse. It wasn't as much of a problem when we could still swap between the two but these days you're seeing more and more DX12 only games. Obviously there's likely more to the overall picture but those are the two things I've seen come up most often in these constant busted ports. Sometimes they even overlap like with FF7 Remake if you put a command to force it in DX11 it will have dramatically less shader stutter..
Basically when MS was in charge with DX11 and when DX11 was doing a lot of work everything was fine. Then with DX12 developers had to do that work by itself and we got what we got.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Basically when MS was in charge with DX11 and when DX11 was doing a lot of work everything was fine. Then with DX12 developers had to do that work by itself and we got what we got.
Yeah I didn't really want to lean too hard into a developer blaming thing but both of those scenarios require problems being fixed on the dev end and most just...don't bother. You see similar things with consoles. Despite series x being a stronger system it often loses out to ps5 in performance because from what I understand xbox has a weird memory situation whereas ps5 is more streamlined and optimized. Basically system that requires more dev work loses out to system that doesn't.

I know game dev is really hard these days and more annoying than ever but seemingly refusing to deal with problems like this and making players deal with busted ports doesn't seem like the best solution?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I didn't really want to lean too hard into a developer blaming thing but both of those scenarios require problems being fixed on the dev end and most just...don't bother. You see similar things with consoles. Despite series x being a stronger system it often loses out to ps5 in performance because from what I understand xbox has a weird memory situation whereas ps5 is more streamlined and optimized. Basically system that requires more dev work loses out to system that doesn't.

I know game dev is really hard these days and more annoying than ever but seemingly refusing to deal with problems like this and making players deal with busted ports doesn't seem like the best solution?
It's not blaming devs per se it's just that they were used to have some things done by DX11 but when DX12 came they were not ready for that transition. And unfortunately with publishers pushing for release and general issues during development they never focused enough to learn DX12 quirks.

I did now :dabblob::detectiveblob::fingergunsblob::photoblobheart:
Heheh send me request no problem. I just got request form someone that doesn't have nick same as here but has some mutual friends from here so i was just wondering. if someone from here sent it so i can put you in right category and add nick from the forum :D

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
now I have, as I noticed we werent friended yet on Steam

anyone here that want to befriend me on Steam, feel free to, Steam profile should be always visible when you click my username. I will almost never talk to you via Steam, though :p
Sent! I also don't talk on Steam really, but I do seflishly enjoy seeing what other people are buying and playing. Found many great games that way!

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
It's not blaming devs per se it's just that they were used to have some things done by DX11 but when DX12 came they were not ready for that transition. And unfortunately with publishers pushing for release and general issues during development they never focused enough to learn DX12 quirks.
Derrick01 take note that when devs use UE4, they themselves don't make the DX11/DX12 renderer. That's mostly on Epic or whoever else made the engine.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Crazy how
Do you think Sir-Tech will sue them?

"america is the biggest gamer country in the world after Japan".

What does that even mean? I read this somewhere online and it just doesn't make any sense. Even with context it wouldn't make much sense at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ffs awoke at 3am…

Not in the best pf mood or moral these days. I play too much and even with that play time I make not even the slightest dent in my backlog (which I don’t care about, that’s not my point).
So yeah, maybe a tightening of the backlog is in order, play even less games but ones that I absolutely want to play.

First casualty was Blood Bowl 2. While I will be the first to admit the core is good, which is surprising considering GW isn’t known for its incredible rulesets, it’s also a drag. No animation speed up is a crime. Too bad, the play experience with risk management is nice.

I have so many big c and jrpg to play. After Persona 5 I’m more and more convinced I’m heading back to Pathfinder gulag. Or finally play Vampire.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Played some Dead Cells x Castlevania tonight. Yo that's a great DLC. Integrated well into the base game, has some absolutely amazing music (say what you want about Castlevania, but it has some DAMN GOOD music), and it accessible right off the bat if you want.

All good stuff. Also, hey Dead Cells is a great game. So much fun to just run around and chop stuff into pieces

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
I've also been playing Dead Cells sans the Castlevania DLC and though while I'm not in love with the game right now, the cameos from other indie games have been pretty great and the weapons they bring are awesome. Will look forward to picking up the Castlevania DLC down the line. (And the game since I'm playing it off a friend's library.)

Last edited:

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
I would also like to put forward my Steam profile so I can also take a look at what people are wishlisting/playing. The wishlist must always be growing.

I just 100% Wo Long and it just makes me wish there was a Sekiro sequel. As someone who loved combat in Sekiro it feels slightly off in Wo Long. It's hard to put my finger on it but it feels like there's no rhythm to the combat in Wo Long compared to Sekiro. In NG+ I ended up going with a debuff build because it was just easier. Also please stop adding gank missions. Tiger's Loyal Subjects was absolute frustration on NG+.

Starting up Dead Cells now and I haven't played in ages but Castlevania DLC is hype even though I'm absolutely getting demolished. All the crossovers with other indie games are great as well.

Also hoping RE4R runs well on Steam Deck since system requirements are the same as RE:Village and that runs decently on the Deck.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This isn't going to release this month, is it?
There's still no actual release date yet, and people on the steamforums see that the website has been updated to merely mention 2023 instead of march 2023

People who are playing the (Backer exclusive) beta say it needs some more bug fixes, especially related to the cyber space things. Maybe the team is just hoping they can get into shape by the end of the month? The demo itself feels really good, the gameplay loop reminds me a lot of System Shock 2, except nicer interfaces and some light modernisations. I think people will be annoyed by the combat, in that it's not a FPS, and early combat is more about cleverly avoiding getting hit, and making use of the charged attack.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I came across this video where developers for the game The Pale Beyond discussed their launch. The business stuff is at 18:39. tl;dw:

-6,089 copies sold in the first day
-$109,404 day 1 revenue (before expenses)
-11,200 sales after 3 days
-In the top 10 percentile of indie launches
-Valve allows devs to freely share sales information while other stores do not (the game also launched on GOG and you-know-where).
-Steam is the "vast vast vast lion's share"
-Over 6,500,000 impressions on launch day due to appearing on the trending carousel
-Does Valve earn their 30%? Yes.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I came across this video where developers for the game The Pale Beyond discussed their launch. The business stuff is at 18:39. tl;dw:

-6,089 copies sold in the first day
-$109,404 day 1 revenue (before expenses)
-11,200 sales after 3 days
-In the top 10 percentile of indie launches
-Valve allows devs to freely share sales information while other stores do not (the game also launched on GOG and you-know-where).
-Steam is the "vast vast vast lion's share"
-Over 6,500,000 impressions on launch day due to appearing on the trending carousel
-Does Valve earn their 30%? Yes.
Thanks for sharing. That's a really complete post-mortem and interesting one for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.