Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I only have 629 games.
And it's fine

I am more of a "forever-game" type.
I have 35 Games over 100 hour gametime (Steam only) probably 50 games with non-steam games included
19 games over 200 hours
12 over 400
3 over 600
2 over 800
1 over 2000 (4 with non-steam)

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
So, appears I am a lightweight around here with my steam account at only 1338. It would have been more but I did sell an old account over a decade ago. But probably not by much more.

So been playing this recently. Another in the Vampire Survivors type games. Put about 3 hours into it and not sure I will put any more into it.

It plays fine, but progression is far too quick. In the 3 hours I have played I have unlocked all 6 characters, Unlocked all the town and done a fair bit of progress towards permament buffs. It is a difficult balance as none of it really felt fulfilling none of it felt like an achievement. Hell in the three hours I reached a point where all weapons where evolved. Something that took me 10-20 hours in Vampire Survivors.

The main art for the characters (the paper dolls if you like, not the ingame assets) all appear to be AI. At the better end of the market (no freaky hands that I could see for a start and doesn't have that kind of shiny look that a lot of untouched AI art has). I can understand it's use but still leaves me kind of icky. But this is more personal opinion and will bother some people more than others.

The translation appears to also have been AI translated. But with no pass through by an editor. The context is just about understandable, but gramaticaly bad.

So if you are looking for something to play after Vampire Survivors, then don't play this. Instead have a look at these:-

With Deep Rock Galactic Survivor currently being my favourite in the Genre, even usurping Vampire Survivors.
I enjoy Halls of Torrent quite a bit.
I’ve been playing this recently and it’s not too bad, especially if you can get it on sale.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I hope a Steam version of Rebirth isn't too far off. I want to do all the non-main story stuff in Rebirth (there is a lot of it), but don't wanna do it on my PS5.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
My Steam library is pretty big and I'm still buying games faster than I can play them lol, but my habits have been shifting as I've gotten into these single-player live-service games in Genshin and Star Rail that just constantly put out (mostly) great stuff.
I'm a big Trails fan and these games provide a lot of the same things I like in Trails: an epic, sprawling narrative, big cast of characters, lots of great worldbuilding, great music, mixture of serious and slice-of-life. But with a lower barrier of entry and at an even faster release rate.
At the same time they also have a lot of community engagement similar to serialised TV shows, animes, mangas or webnovels where there's always something new to discuss while you're waiting for the next "episode" regarding story, lore, characters, mysteries, etc which is also something I enjoy.
They really combine a lot of stuff I like in games and also other media in general.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I enjoy Halls of Torrent quite a bit.
I’ve been playing this recently and it’s not too bad, especially if you can get it on sale.
I will check it out. I didn’t realise it was a survivors type game. I enjoyed the film, even if there isn’t enough Cage hamming it up.

Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Microsoft and Epic working together to save their dying platforms makes sense I guess.... 🙄

Spencer mentioned his frustrations with closed ecosystems, so we asked for clarity. Could he really see a future where stores like Itch.io and Epic Games Store existed on Xbox? Was it just a matter of figuring out mountains of paperwork to get there?

“Yes,” said Spencer. “[Consider] our history as the Windows company. Nobody would blink twice if I said, ‘Hey, when you’re using a PC, you get to decide the type of experience you have [by picking where to buy games]. There’s real value in that.” Spencer believes console players would benefit from that freedom too — and so would console makers like Microsoft.

Hmmmm and nowhere else in the article does Spencer say directly "I want the EGS on Xbox"... I'd really like to read what he actually said

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Hmmmm and nowhere else in the article does Spencer say directly "I want the EGS on Xbox"... I'd really like to read what he actually said
Yeah, plus it's polygon-like bait to mention EGS but not Steam and write nonsense like more stores = more game sales. If Microsoft allows 3rd party stores, they loose their major source of income to subsidize cheap console hardware.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I honestly don't know if I even care about the Bioshock type games anymore.

I still haven't even played Infinite.

I only played a bit of Atomic Heart which was fun but got repetitive.

I loved Prey 2017 and its one that I think about replaying often. And probably should one of these days. But that game is a bit more than an immersive sim.

I need to get around to playing that System Shock remake as well because I loved SS2.

Judas looks fine but ehhh. I don't know. I feel like the only way I can get hyped for slow excessive narrative fps games full of interruptions like that again is if they introduce some new incredible tech. Something really ambitious and never seen before. Until then all these game are too samey for me and something I play down the line at reduced price or something like Gamepass.

I prefer the run n gun fps like the newer Wolfenstein and Doom. The pacing and chaos is more fun.

Even the more quick and basic fps stuff like Destiny, Halo, Starfield etc was more fun too.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
This game will betray your expectations.
It can't be any worse than I am expecting to be. No idea what Ken Levine was doing the last decade. He basically reset his entire studio, wanted to make "smaller games" and now it's a game with huge AAA production quality and likely another big team. I can understand having a small mid-life crisis, but you don't have to fire all your coworkers over it

Reactions: Dandy and LEANIJA

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I would take bet that Judas will be better Bioshock than Bioshock 4 from Cloud Chamber.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Man, I'm not thinking about the game by day, but I still wake up in the morning with my inner demon telling me : 'Ok, but seriously, today we buy a PS5 and Ronin, right ?'
I'm Koei Tecmo bitch.

But then I go and check the game's price.
Dumb, that's not even the waste of money for the console which stops me dead in my tracks that much, but the 70 euros for a game...

-This is this post disclaimer-
On a more real level, not that odd. My broken ass mind understands on some unconscious level that it will be an issue for each game releasing, not a one time folly.
And I adore Koei Tecmo games but only on release and can't be arsed to play their DLC.
-This was this post disclaimer-

Reactions: Cacher

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Spencer mentioned his frustrations with closed ecosystems, so we asked for clarity. Could he really see a future where stores like Itch.io and Epic Games Store existed on Xbox? Was it just a matter of figuring out mountains of paperwork to get there?

“Yes,” said Spencer. “[Consider] our history as the Windows company. Nobody would blink twice if I said, ‘Hey, when you’re using a PC, you get to decide the type of experience you have [by picking where to buy games]. There’s real value in that.” Spencer believes console players would benefit from that freedom too — and so would console makers like Microsoft.

Yeah from reading the article its a general statement on openness, they could just have easily said Steam in the headline but they went with EGS. And the general reactions for said headline would be different if they had.

Pet peeve of mine lately is I see people defend closed platforms by pointing out the negative of the "competition" from EGS to Steam but ignoring the fact that the same ecosystem that allows EGS also enables Steam's existence. Being able to choose what you install on your system without a closed garden gatekeeper isn't bad just because EGS is shit.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
On the other side of the coin, a take I read on ERA and offer as is (I don't really have an opinion about it but it seems like a good point): the gatekeepers are subdivising hardware. What the hell would consoles cost if they had no incentive to do so ?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The whole open approach will never work on some living room console device. imo. Casuals don't care enough about that stuff.

It'll have to be a handheld. If they can create some type of Windows layer that has all the PC gaming stores preinstalled on it and all of it centered around PC gamepass + Minecraft + Battle.net. Then it would work and be a worthwhile device. In doing so they could probably subsidize it with GP subscriptions and maybe even be able to sell it like 100$ cheaper to really compete with the Deck, etc.

But they will have to trim a lot of the fat so the device isn't directly competing with all the other windows handhelds. It has to be gaming focused first n foremost like the Deck.

The problem with Windows has always been that it is a shit operating system for small screens. They would need to create some type of gaming friendly layer like Valve did with SteamOS. It has to be optimized and well thought out.

But with consoles its pointless. They need to focus on 1st party software, marketing and being cheaper than Playstation. Nothing else will ever work for them.

Its starting to feel like Phil is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Maybe its time to let him and all leadership around him go. Replace them with people who have an actual vision for the future.

Reactions: xinek and Arc

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I won't be suprises of next gen consoles will costs a lot more.

Ken Kutagari was simply a man from the future.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

So after watching this I feel like my questions about what does this game do that's different from 1 are more valid than ever and I should probably just replay dark arisen instead of buying this. Stealing the pros/cons list from era if you don't want to watch a 40 minute video

+Combat
+Dynamic Elements
+Beautiful Vista / Set Pieces / World

-Performance Issues
-Main Story very Poor
-Lack of Good Side Content (i.e. Most of the Side Quests are bad but there are some decent ones)
-Lack of Enemy Variety, much of it being from the first game
-World Map being surprisingly small (4X the size of the original world doesn't mean much when the original game's world was already super tiny)
-Encountered quite a few bugs such as big enemies getting stuck in places
-Enemy Density in some locations is simply way too high and after the fights become "solved", they become just a nuisance to slow down the times you need to travel from one place to the next on foot.

Ultimately they found themselves disappointed and felt that it seemed more like an: "Anniversary Edition" rather than a true Sequel.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The whole open approach will never work on some living room console device. imo. Casuals don't care enough about that stuff.

It'll have to be a handheld. If they can create some type of Windows layer that has all the PC gaming stores preinstalled on it and all of it centered around PC gamepass + Minecraft + Battle.net. Then it would work and be a worthwhile device. In doing so they could probably subsidize it with GP subscriptions and maybe even be able to sell it like 100$ cheaper to really compete with the Deck, etc.

But they will have to trim a lot of the fat so the device isn't directly competing with all the other windows handhelds. It has to be gaming focused first n foremost like the Deck.

The problem with Windows has always been that it is a shit operating system for small screens. They would need to create some type of gaming friendly layer like Valve did with SteamOS. It has to be optimized and well thought out.

But with consoles its pointless. They need to focus on 1st party software, marketing and being cheaper than Playstation. Nothing else will ever work for them.

Its starting to feel like Phil is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Maybe its time to let him and all leadership around him go. Replace them with people who have an actual vision for the future.
Completely agreed. The problem (for MS) is that they haven't show any indication that they are actually capable of (or willing to do) good consumer PC OS engineering and UX design in over a decade.

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The "I am groot" is gonna get annoying match after match. Probably best to mute the character. Other than that it looked fun enough to try for an hour or two. Surprised they were able to get Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.