Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
After playing Titanfall 2 and after watching that gameplay of Spine.

(I tried to clarify some stuff)

If I ever had the chance to make a video game, it would be something like the Deception games on PS4 and PS Vita. Where you have to design stuff. You play as an NPC, you don't want to die and no matter what MC is going to kill everyone, if you try to run away your fellow NPC will call you a traitor and try to kill you on the spot. If it was a 1V1 you might be able to win but the issue with that is that MC would hear you and then just kill you no questions asked. So now try to design a level where you can escape account for different play styles that people typically have in order to be able to escape without being killed. Hey are you think of just running away once your buddies are dead? Well to bad since there are going to be players that chance after NPCs that have lost their will to fight and still end up killing them. Were you thinking of hiding in some obscure places? Well to bad since this MC checks every places to find hidden items. Hey I will just hide myself in this one area far way from everywhere else. Well to bad the person is a speed runner and if they go in your direction they will be able to avoid the other NPCs and get to their destination faster by wall clipping.

So many ideas. would people like the game? I'd imagine not really since the level would have to be rather short.

Do you ever feel bad for the grunts that you kill in games?

By the way is is Weird how I feel bad for the MC in FPS games when you run. I'm sure that there is no health penalty when you run but I will om purpose stop at times since it just feels weird to keep someone running.

Almost 8 years
I have no hope for the future of the video game industry then. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Reminder for those with gaming fatigue....to go back and play classics. So many great games from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. There should be plenty of high rated games you forgot about or never played to begin with. Its always been a great way to rejuvenate my hype for games. PC has become such a big legacy platform.

Its really needed anytime you go through a rut of modern day AAA games and other exhausting f2p/mobile/service games that take up so much of your time.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Reminder for those with gaming fatigue....to go back and play classics. So many great games from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. There should be plenty of high rated games you forgot about or never played to begin with. Its always been a great way to rejuvenate my hype for games. PC has become such a big legacy platform.

Its really needed anytime you go through a rut of modern day AAA games and other exhausting f2p/mobile/service games that take up so much of your time.
I don't know, I often play old games, and I am often disappointed in not liking them as much as I did back then. Even the ones that have good performance on PC today.
A lot of old design staples aged badly. :crying-face:

When I get bored of modern games, I do like to start something much simpler and purely gameplay focused.
Like a simple 3D platformer or a boomer shooter.

Not everything needs to be some super complex game... that you actually see all the mechanics of in the first hour and repeat for a hundred like all those bloated AAAs, or some ridiculously punishing Souls-like that consider losing currency that you can grind infinitely as proper difficulty (that's another thing that I cannot stand anymore, games that just waste your time as "hardcore" elements, instead of truly difficult moments that lose you nothing but a few seconds from the last checkpoint).

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I was able to find the name after all. I had not occurred to me until after I clicked on Mulley Jack game that maybe I have the game wishlisted by change and as it turns out I do.

Here is the game that I was able to find.

Here is the description of it, which sort matches what I was asking for.

"beta decay is a dystopian voxel-based RPG with a low-poly aesthetic. Build, trade, and fight for territory from a FPS/TPS perspective within the Alpha Centauri star system. Be an engineer, repairing shuttles in space, to a syndicate leader, executing raids within a labyrinthic neon city."

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Some people assume that every game should be able to hit 60 just because Sony first party titles are able to. Even though I would image those games are not nearly as CPU heavy as DD2. When you are playing a scripted game isn't there less stuff that it has to compute in the background?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
ready on Early Access

Uh, the wait for 1.0 will be long :anguished-face:
But well, if for some games ea isn't a big issue (but EA is ! See what I did there ?), I don't really see the point of playing a Metroidvania that way. Any opinion from the genre fans ? Durante ?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I still haven't played Ender Lilies
:crying-face:
I'll be keeping an eye on this one as it gets closer to 1.0 release though!
If you are in any way interested in the genre, I see very little reason to not jump on Ender Lilies ! Please do so !
Maybe the vague Souls-y difficulty of some early bosses*, but other than that it's a banger.

*I can think of two, then it was smooth sailing to the end credits

• Eyes
Reactions: Cacher and Ibuki

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Uh, the wait for 1.0 will be long :anguished-face:
But well, if for some games ea isn't a big issue (but EA is ! See what I did there ?), I don't really see the point of playing a Metroidvania that way. Any opinion from the genre fans ? Durante ?
I don't see the point, for me personally, of playing any game in early access (and I don't think I've ever done it).

That said, happy they are doing another one, Ender Lilies was fantastic.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

Good game, but you can tell they pushed it out early so it could hit the end of their fiscal calendar.
"Adding the ability to start a new game" is one of the most wild sentences I've ever read as far as incomplete games and patch notes goes.

Imagine if an EA game did something like this and the amount of industry wide clowning would be going on right now

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
"Adding the ability to start a new game" is one of the most wild sentences I've ever read as far as incomplete games and patch notes goes.

Imagine if an EA game did something like this and the amount of industry wide clowning would be going on right now
Yeah, as we all know Capcom got a pass and nobody has criticized DD2 for this at all.

They've just patched that in out of the goodness of their hearts.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Yeah, as we all know Capcom got a pass and nobody has criticized DD2 for this at all.

They've just patched that in out of the goodness of their hearts.
The amount of pushback they've gotten online is kid gloves compared to what would happen if EA or ubisoft or another company people don't like did stuff like this and the bit of pushback they did get was countered by as many people rushing to capcom's defense to talk about how hyperbolic people are being or how it's all misinformation or that the mtx are ok because capcom's been screwing people for multiple games so it's a non issue now.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Yeah there's no denying that people have absolutely gone to bat for Capcom (and Helldivers 2 for that matter) because they like them. There has been strong pushback against very legitimate criticisms of both these recent games.

Being so anal about only letting players have one save that you literally do not them start a new game on another save file is pure insanity.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
The amount of pushback they've gotten online is kid gloves compared to what would happen if EA or ubisoft or another company people don't like did stuff like this and the bit of pushback they did get was countered by as many people rushing to capcom's defense to talk about how hyperbolic people are being or how it's all misinformation or that the mtx are ok because capcom's been screwing people for multiple games so it's a non issue now.
I don't see how the pushback would be any different? It got poor user reviews, media reported on it.

Those same idiot defenders defend the likes of 2K and FIFAs MTX, they're bootlickers.

Reactions: QFNS

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

MS main problem is the Xbox library. The Xbox library just cannot in any way compete with the Steam library.

Steam get's pretty much everything (looking at you Vanillaware), Xbox doesn't.

Yea but they have gamepass. It can be a real killer feature for a handheld. You can buy the handheld and never buy a game for it. Just subscribe to GP and treat the device like some all you can eat buffet. They could pack every handheld with a nice free trial of GP as well.

There is a lot of interesting and ambitious things they can do. They could even have some connectivity feature with your PC and/or Xbox.

Also I don't get why Phil is thinking about a device like that. You are the head of gaming wtf.

If Microsoft can peddle the 1000$ surface pro for years now...don't tell me they can't RnD a 400$ budget handheld. Just make it already ffs.

Reactions: Cacher

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yea but they have gamepass. It can be a real killer feature for a handheld. You can buy the handheld and never buy a game for it. Just subscribe to GP and treat the device like some all you can eat buffet. They could pack every handheld with a nice free trial of GP as well.

There is a lot of interesting and ambitious things they can do. They could even have some connectivity feature with your PC and/or Xbox.

Also I don't get why Phil is thinking about a device like that. You are the head of gaming wtf.

If Microsoft can peddle the 1000$ surface pro for years now...don't tell me they can't RnD a 400$ budget handheld. Just make it already ffs.
About game pass:

• Shrug
Reactions: yuraya

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Omg, I was so close to buying it on UPlay during the current sale wtf. I actually liked the trial.

Exclusivity period is shortening?
Release date on Epic / Uplay was september 14th 2023. that's 6 months and 11 days from today.

that's a good site for that matters:
Code:
https://kkkepic.com.br/en_US/history/209/
(they have a Steam group too xD)

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I don't see how the pushback would be any different? It got poor user reviews, media reported on it.

Those same idiot defenders defend the likes of 2K and FIFAs MTX, they're bootlickers.
Nah Derrick's right, Capcom got a soft treatment compared to what they should've gotten.
And I'll even go a step further, when it comes to western impressions, by either players or journalists, of eastern developed games they are usually much more lenient and forgiving than when assessing western developed games. I have no idea why but it happens and has happened since forever. I don't know if is debt of gratitude for how japan saved games in the 80's or if it's fear of being seen as racists or xenophobes or something else but it's notorious.

edit: I'd love to know what happens in eastern media and if the situation in similar to what happens in the west, being more defensive towards the "foreign" teams than towards their own or simply being impartial as they should, or if it's the other way around.

Last edited:

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Nah Derrick's right, Capcom's got a soft treatment compared to what they should've gotten.
And I'll even go a step further, when it comes to western impressions, by either players or journalists, of eastern developed games they are usually much more lenient and forgiving than when assessing western developed games. I have no idea why but it happens and has happened since forever. I don't know if is debt of gratitude for how japan saved games in the 80's or if it's fear of being seen as racists or xenophobes or something else but it's notorious.
Because Capcom is a much better gaming company compared to EA. This is their first big misstep and they were called out on it (somewhat) - EA makes non-stop bs decisions and people are just fed up with them.

I don't think you can compare the two.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
After Balatro, I did not think anything else could come along so quickly that is just as addictive, but here we are:

Highly recommend though I have not played it quite as long to know if it will have the same staying power. Also need to try it out on Steam Deck still, there is no controller support, but should not be too big of a deal.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nah Derrick's right, Capcom got a soft treatment compared to what they should've gotten.
I mean, for me personally at least, I'm a lot more forgiving of a game that does interesting things (interesting to me, that is), than a game that doesn't.
So yeah, I'm definitely more willing to deal with some technical blemishes in, say, Dragon's Dogma 2 than I am in UbiWarnerSony Open World #7.

I also have to say that, again, for me personally, DD2 is actually a substantially better PC version specifically than darlings like Elden Ring.
For one, Dragon's Dogma 2 actually supports framerates higher than 60 and ultrawide aspect ratios, so someone was thinking at least a minor bit beyond purely the needs of consoles when making it. Sure, the performance ain't great, especially in the main city, but that's the case on all platforms so I wouldn't hold that against the PC port in particular.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018

MS main problem is the Xbox library. The Xbox library just cannot in any way compete with the Steam library.

Steam get's pretty much everything (looking at you Vanillaware), Xbox doesn't.
It's so fucking funny that seemingly the only reason Phil Spencer is suddenly so concerned about the Xbox app is because he actually started using it when he got a RoG Ally. Dude is complaining about shit like cross-play saves for Fallout 76, that he could have had addressed at any point in the last four years if he was paying any fucking attention!

Reactions: thekeats1999
Status
Not open for further replies.