Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
well they're already funded ... so you can always just wait until it's out on steam to grab it :)

oh, also - looks like you're a member now :D woohoo :partyblob:
I like Kickstarter becasue of how my brain works. More likely to get a game at (mostly) full price there with maybe an added bonus or 2, than wishlist it on Steam and get it sometime in a sale.
Plus there is the issue of Steam keys, as I assume they get generated for free for Kickstarter so the Devs get a better slice, assuming Kickstarter doesn't eat the savings with their cut.

As for being a member, Yay! Go me, it only took me around two and a half years to hit 300 mesasages :)

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Fuck ! I checked and the missing Gears and Halo are playable on xcloud.
Not ideal, but I will take what I can.

Need to test xcloud on PC, then if it works good enough my immediate backlog just took 10 games in the knee :sweaty-blob:

Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Slightly off-topic. I knew there are Warhammer and some other well-known tabletop series with all these cool miniatures and deep lore. Hell, some of their videogames even sit inside my steam library for years. But I always put them into back of the brain once remembering that they are huge time and money investment.

Fast forward to today, I suddenly decided to take a further look into the genre a few hours ago and...

Look at these... I never knew there are board games based on videogames, and THEY LOOK SO FUCKING RAD

I love anime figures and plastic model kits, so these miniatures are right up my alley. I would love to get my hands on these and learn to paint them one-by-one. Thank god I don't have money for these, otherwise, I would have gotten myself another new nerdy hobby by now.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I love anime figures and plastic model kits, so these miniatures are right up my alley. I would love to get my hands on these and learn to paint them one-by-one. Thank god I don't have money for these now, otherwise, I would have gotten myself another new nerdy hobby.
Miniature painting makes me sad. I always loved that, but my OCD personality would never let me be satisfied with what I got. And it's indeed a huge time sink. And very, very pricey.
Not even talking about the fact that my eyes are not what they once were. And I can't do highlights for shit.
Yeah, this makes me a sad puppy.

PS. I looked into model kit and noped out when I saw you had to paint them too.

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Miniature painting makes me sad. I always loved that, but my OCD personality would never let me be satisfied with what I got. And it's indeed a huge time sink. And very, very pricey.
Not even talking about the fact that my eyes are not what they once were. And I can't do highlights for shit.
Yeah, this makes me a sad puppy.

PS. I looked into model kit and noped out when I saw you had to paint them too.
To be fair, they can be used out-of-the-box lol. Painting them is just part of the experience.

These miniatures are indeed very small. Maybe getting a magnifier will be handy.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Careful, in some places ( gaming clubs, shop gaming nights etc ) having unpainted figures and trying to play a game will have the same effect as walking in and telling jokes about their mums.

I still have some of my Warhammer 40k metal figs from the early 90s and my 5mm epic space marines and the Space Hulk figures.
It's what made me realize that i am dog-dirt at painting these things and it saved me a lot of money in the long run! heh.

I have the Deadly Premonition board game from kickstarter and was seriously considering the recent Monster Hunter board game with Figures but it's expensive and might have finished by now anyway which is a narrow escape for my wallet.

These days i pick up rulesbooks, audio books and novels for Cyberpunk, D&D and 40k on Fanatical, Storybundle or Humble Bundles mainly for the art and lore.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Not really into it myself.
One because they are often full of minis, so it's expansive as fuck (and by the way, I didn't follow the scene for quite some time but boardgames have really become nonsense with those games with 10kg of figs in it).. And most importantly, two because video games and boardgames are globally so far apart that I don't really see what I would get in a boardgame adaptation that would be so much better than the same thing without license. Fan service is cool, I don't hate it, but yeah, not sure I'm that interested in licensed games.

Just saying that for the sake of discussion, it's cool if you love those games ! :photoblobheart:

edit . Thinking about boardgames makes me feel sad. People, social life, fuck everything. Well, good people, friends, because I discovered boardgames nerds, the people who play seriously, and it was... cringe. Annoying. A little pathetic.
To expand on this little story that will interest no one in a badly structured post, I tried two BG clubs, when I still had hope for a social life. One was fun and full of uninteresting party games, one was kill me please and full of good expert games. I realized then that boardgames are not the important part, people are !
It makes more sense in French as our word for boardgames is 'jeux de société', litteraly society games (?) and yeah, the most important part is 'society', not 'games'.

Last edited:
  • Hug
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Plus there is the issue of Steam keys, as I assume they get generated for free for Kickstarter so the Devs get a better slice, assuming Kickstarter doesn't eat the savings with their cut.
fair enough

As for being a member, Yay! Go me, it only took me around two and a half years to hit 300 mesasages :)
slow and steady wins the race :smart-thinking-blob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Looking into boardgame again. I count two new Marvel boardgames. In French ! 50+ euros the card game ! Woohoo !
Are you serious ? :thinking-blob:

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm really excited about Biomutant, I can't want to try it out.

I'm getting really burnt out on online games discussion though. The amount of hate and stupid, of technical ignorance while pretending to know about the details in the same way a meerkat knows about game engines is exhausting.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Back 4 Blood features cards. I'm out.
The game is no fun, they tried to hard to be modern Left 4 Dead and failed at every turn, progression and the card system is garbage all around. Playing this game and remembering early gameplay of the L4D beta, it's pretty clear that Valve were the ones that steered L4D into something great, not Turtle Rock, vide Evolve.

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
After entire day of troubleshooting why my Oculus app is detecting cable to be 2.0 (even the one that came with damn thing) I found that Quest 2 has issues with ASMedia controllers and that you actually need to restart port each time you plug and then unplug device. After restarting port even with extender it registers cable and port as 3.0 and 2.2Gbs speed.
Have you tried unchecking this setting for the USB-device you're using? It helped me a lot with my Oculus ASMedia USB issues.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I want to get dark souls board game someday xo
Same. Unfortunately (or to some people, fortunately) it has tons of expansions so very expensive to get all of those.
Careful, in some places ( gaming clubs, shop gaming nights etc ) having unpainted figures and trying to play a game will have the same effect as walking in and telling jokes about their mums.

I still have some of my Warhammer 40k metal figs from the early 90s and my 5mm epic space marines and the Space Hulk figures.
It's what made me realize that i am dog-dirt at painting these things and it saved me a lot of money in the long run! heh.

I have the Deadly Premonition board game from kickstarter and was seriously considering the recent Monster Hunter board game with Figures but it's expensive and might have finished by now anyway which is a narrow escape for my wallet.

These days i pick up rulesbooks, audio books and novels for Cyberpunk, D&D and 40k on Fanatical, Storybundle or Humble Bundles mainly for the art and lore.
Not really into it myself.
One because they are often full of minis, so it's expansive as fuck (and by the way, I didn't follow the scene for quite some time but boardgames have really become nonsense with those games with 10kg of figs in it).. And most importantly, two because video games and boardgames are globally so far apart that I don't really see what I would get in a boardgame adaptation that would be so much better than the same thing without license. Fan service is cool, I don't hate it, but yeah, not sure I'm that interested in licensed games.

Just saying that for the sake of discussion, it's cool if you love those games ! :photoblobheart:

edit . Thinking about boardgames makes me feel sad. People, social life, fuck everything. Well, good people, friends, because I discovered boardgames nerds, the people who play seriously, and it was... cringe. Annoying. A little pathetic.
To expand on this little story that will interest no one in a badly structured post, I tried two BG clubs, when I still had hope for a social life. One was fun and full of uninteresting party games, one was kill me please and full of good expert games. I realized then that boardgames are not the important part, people are !
It makes more sense in French as our word for boardgames is 'jeux de société', litteraly society games (?) and yeah, the most important part is 'society', not 'games'.
I did some research on the local scene and it seems that place to play tabletop games is very limited here. There are some people who share their paint work on modeler forum but that's it. [UWSL]Not surprising due to language and our pragmatic culture, so most people probably think tabletop games take too much time and effort to play.[/UWSL][UWSL] I will ask around and see if my nerdy friends irl are interested. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]The Monster Hunter one does look very good. So far I am most interested in the Darkest Dungeon BG and another original one called Nemesis Lockdown. Both are very expensive though so I am just window shopping. [/UWSL]

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I know that over here in the UK for all their faults Games Workshop shops and franchises run regular game nights where people go in and play games.
I used to go to a club once every two weeks to a TTRPG/War Gaming club that was ran in the upstairs of a working men's club. So downstairs you'd have welders, builders and that kind of bloke in their 40s+ drinking pints, eating pies and watching the footie or boxing and upstairs was a big room full of nerds playing D&D or Space Master and a big central table with a ton of miniatures and beardy grognards with tape measures, dice and rulebooks the size of phone directories. Good times. I miss it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I did some research on the local scene and it seems that place to play tabletop games is very limited here. There are some people who share their paint work on modeler forum but that's it. [UWSL]Not surprising due to language and our pragmatic culture, so most people probably think tabletop games take too much time and effort to play.[/UWSL][UWSL] I will ask around and see if my nerdy friends irl are interested. [/UWSL]
Where are you exactly, if I'm not too curious ? I've got a good idea from your posts but it's a little vague.
I'm a little surprised there is no local club, I thought that the boardgame craze / trend from a few years ago had revitalized the hobby everywhere. Now, as you say, there may be cultural exceptions.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Dang. Giant Bomb is breaking up. Brad, Vinny and Alex are all leaving at the end of this week. Been a pretty wild ride over there. 12 years or something like that with the same core group. Not gonna lie, it had me in some feels. Listening to the same group of people for 2-3 hours a week for 10+ years will do that. Now it's gonna end. Jeff seems like he's comitted to staying on and reinventing the website (if they even bother with a website), but I think I'll be moving on.

Will miss their unfiltered opinions on all the bullshit in this industry. Even if I don't agree with their tastes, you knew they were giving actual opinions and not marketing talk. End of an era for sure.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
The main thing about digital board games is that it doesn't take 20 minutes to set up! ... or another 20 minutes to pack up at the end of the night and if someone does get moody and flips the table it's only a quick reset button away from starting again.

The sad thing is that carrying around 5kg of plastic tokens and card tiles is probably the most exercise i'd get all week so there is that health benefit to consider.

• This!
  • Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Where are you exactly, if I'm not too curious ? I've got a good idea from your posts but it's a little vague.
I'm a little surprised there is no local club, I thought that the boardgame craze / trend from a few years ago had revitalized the hobby everywhere.
I am playing real life Cyberpunk 2021 in a tiny place called Hong Kong. 😆

Yeah, board games (especially those with miniatures) are generally very niche here.
[UWSL]People here probably only heard of Monopoly and Legend of Three Kingdoms. [/UWSL]

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I am playing real life Cyberpunk 2021 in a tiny place called Hong Kong. 😆

Yeah, board games (especially those with miniatures) are generally very niche here.
[UWSL]People here probably only heard of Monopoly and Legend of Three Kingdoms. [/UWSL]
Well if nothing else you can ask what's the scene like in a store, googling Hong Kong boardgame club gave me several shops. I saw a meetup group with 2700+ members too.
Not looking further, not for a lack of desire to help, but I have no idea if my results are potentially good :thinking-blob:
There may also be 'looking for group' forum posts for your location on BGG. You know of BGG ?

• Hug

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Well if nothing else you can ask what's the scene like in a store, googling Hong Kong boardgame club gave me several shops. I saw a meetup group with 2700+ members too.
Not looking further, not for a lack of desire to help, but I have no idea if my results are potentially good :thinking-blob:
There may also be 'looking for group' forum posts for your location on BGG. You know of BGG ?
Yep, thanks for the hassle, btw. Probably won't be able to play these for a long time though. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Reactions: Li Kao

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
FINALLY rolled credits on Yakuza 5. Gonna have to put this series down for a while. Really burned me out on this one.
Gonna keep chugging through HZD on PS4 and maybe take a look at that there Cold Steel 4.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yep, thanks for the hassle, btw. Probably won't be able to play these for a long time though. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:
That being said, I'm stupid and didn't talk about digital boardgames. Not the same thing, but easily organized.
I'm sure PossiblyPudding would be happy to help set up something if the god of timezones is with us.

Man, I really need a webcam and a mic... to never dare using them, but hey !

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
When I opened Steam just now I saw that there is a new 3Dmark benchmark, and in the press release they write how it is very specifically designed to be able to compare desktops and high-end mobile devices, specifically the M1.

I thought "hey that's interesting", so I ran it, but it seems like it's impossible to actually find out what an M1 scores in this benchmark on the internet. Even though that would appear to be its primary purpose. Strange.

Also, 3DMark is clearly not nearly as popular as it used to be (back in the day it was basically synonymous with benchmarking), because a basic run I did actually ended up on the "Hall of Fame" for this benchmark. Sure, I have the most high-end current desktop GPU, but when 3DMark was popular you'd only get on those lists with insane LN2 overclocking. Mine is barely even overclocked with stock cooling.

Anyway, if someone has better Google-fu and finds M1 results, let me know.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
All this talk about board games, check out Tabletop Simulator!

:awwblob:

Theres even an old thread I made somewhere
We should set up something. By the very nature of TS, maybe some people could try a game. Because I just checked my steam friends wishlist on recent boardgames, and oh boy.

People not even having bought the multiple Humble BG Bundles. Looks like I'm the only one interested.

PS.
Granted, it would help if 99% of the games weren't Asmodée shitty shoestring adaptation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I love games with a good weather system and especially with good storms and sound effects. If the weather is also game system relevant (apart from changing mobs) then it is phenomenal.
Yeah agreed. Im re-playing RDR2 and just spent the last couple of hours with a massive storm raging with lightning etc. Its awesome.

• Hug
Reactions: Swenhir and Kyougar

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

8gb of VRAM is not enough for RE8 in 4k+Raytracing on max settings apparently.

Hmh how important is it to eat? Very tempted to get RE8. RE7 is my favorite thus far!
A human can go without food for about three weeks but would typically only last three to four days without water. /s

Status
Not open for further replies.