Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Free games continuing until 2024 ???
I mean, looking at the data we now have the free indie games basically cost them nothing compared to exclusivity periods on AAAs.

And honestly, I don't care if they continue free games indefinitely, but it is interesting what the people who were concerned about Steam sales "devaluing" games back in the day think about it. To me, it seems like Epic might be training a new generation of gamers to spend most of their money on fashion in their favourite service game while expecting other games for free.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
:blobnoanime:

To me, it seems like Epic might be training a new generation of gamers to spend most of their money on fashion in their favourite service game while expecting other games for free.
well yeah ... you don't even have to look far to see that's exactly what's happening ... you only have to see their twitter and replies to every tweet about a game that isn't being given away for free

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I mean, looking at the data we now have the free indie games basically cost them nothing compared to exclusivity periods on AAAs.

And honestly, I don't care if they continue free games indefinitely, but it is interesting what the people who were concerned about Steam sales "devaluing" games back in the day think about it. To me, it seems like Epic might be training a new generation of gamers to spend most of their money on fashion in their favourite service game while expecting other games for free.
Their goal is "Metaverse" aka Oasis from Ready Player One that they will control and that will run on Unreal. That is why they are buying dev tools left and right and giving them for free if you use Unreal engine. One of their first steps is making Unreal Engine only viable engine on the market.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
To me, it seems like Epic might be training a new generation of gamers to spend most of their money on fashion in their favourite service game while expecting other games for free.
And this is why their system is not reaching the numbers of their main competitors, because they are training a whole generation to just play F2P and spend their money in MTX (small payments in big quantities) instead of buying full priced games (big payment in small quantities) in that case, do they expect their best previsions will come into realization?

Because if 2019 and 2020 have shown us something is that their playe rbase while increasing their revenue in 3rd party content got stuck, so there's the answer to that.

Reactions: lashman

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I was taking a coffee after lunch and realized with MS Valve estimations, we can see what is the minimum cut MS thinks Valve can afford to keep operating without losses:

For that you just need to calculate the "Operational Costs" (Adjusted Revenue - Operating Proft) for 3rd party platform and as we know the "Reported Revenue" is the total money spend in 3rd party games, we can just divide by it:
(1226-498)/4541 = 16%.
Mind you that would mean 0% profit.
You can also calculate the estimated average cut MS thinks Valve has (4541 / 1226 = 27%).

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's as someone said when they compared Metaverse to Second Life... only without the dicks.
Don't forget Epic's slow creep into movie production as well.
I wonder how long it will be before Epic are facing the same lawsuits as they are bringing against Valve for being a closed ecosystem with a monopoly?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It might not be their intent but that may well be a side effect, yeah.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
(1226-498)/4541 = 16%.
Even more than that.

You can also calculate the estimated average cut MS thinks Valve has (4541 / 1226 = 27%).
Because, as you mentioned, Valve's effective cut is closer to 27% than their known cut of 30%.

So, for Valve's effective cut to be 16%, Valve would have to take a larger cut as well. Maybe closer to 16*30/27 ~ 18%.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
This is interesting, because based on nothing more than gut feeling I would have guessed that Valve could at most go down to 20% while still maintaining at least a small buffer.
Of course, at that point they'd be far less profitable (in terms of margin) than basically any other successful technology company in a similar situation, so I really don't see why they'd do that.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Edit: actually, the more I look at that table, the less I understand what it represents out of its context. Which doc is this in?

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
This is interesting, because based on nothing more than gut feeling I would have guessed that Valve could at most go down to 20% while still maintaining at least a small buffer.
yup, that's what i've been saying for a while as well ... they could easily go down to 20% and still make a profit

12%, though? no chance ... not without stopping any development on new features ... and probably taking out most of the current ones (especially wallet cards), and also passing fees onto people buying games (which, as twitter has shown me recently, many devs would be more than ok with)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Epic badmouthing China can't be good for them LOL.

edit: Worng badmouther

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
...because the Epic Game Store in China would totally have all of those games that the Steam Store in China has banned, yes?
If Steam hadn't removed those games we'd be hearing how "Steam doesn't follow local laws and allows prohibited and vile games to be sold there." or some such bollocks. The more i hear of this garbage court case the less i want to hear of it.

Ach, i'm gonna go lurk in other threads for a while.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
It still reads like something you would read on a forum. I don't say it's good that Steam does it but as with the Apple trial, if the ruling is against Valve, other suits will follow and all the other stores will have to change.

• Eyes

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
For the 1st point isn't it happening because people always complaining with what Steam featured previously?

For the 2nd point, Is there any proof of games that have more visibility because of relationship with Valve? Kinda weird to claim this without any evidence
Not only is there no proof, I've never heard of anyone making that claim before.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
For the 1st point isn't it happening because people always complaining with what Steam featured previously?

For the 2nd point, Is there any proof of games that have more visibility because of relationship with Valve? Kinda weird to claim this without any evidence
The first point, other than visual novels where Valve is sometimes way too strict, I think they only refuse or remove games that go against their guidelines in an extreme way, or games that are very clearly "asset flips"?
EDIT: Wait, re-reading it again, the first point is about visibility, I was thinking it was about not accepting or removing games from the store. Visibility is mostly based on users preferences, what they play, and the tags, so it's just more misinformation.

The second point I think is completely false.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I remember people saying that since people (mostly young kids now) will game so many free games in their account they'll feel an attachment and once they have money they will start purchasing.
But if they give games for the next 3-4 years there is a possiblity that they'll have so many free games for a lifetime and never see why they should pay for a game.
I mean, according to THE INTERNET! people like me who play the same old-ass games for years, and like SOME PEOPLE here on meta, who find unfinished games in their backlog an affront to all humanity, most people (on the internet!) just buy and play the newest games.

So, for them, backlog doesn't matter, 200 games that they will never play won't matter in the grand scheme of deciding where to buy the next game.
Console peeps only care about their backlog (if at all) for the current console cycle.

You need a reason other than "the place where my games are" to make a platform your main choice to buy games on.
For Example, friendslist: Whenever I see my friends play a certain game, I know:
  • that a new game has come out
  • there must be a reason why some old game gets played so much again by my friends (cool new mod, new season, big patch)
  • that a game I thought was a dud must have some good reasons for so many of my friends playing it

Or the best new feature Valve has implemented in recent years:
"What's new".
I don't know how many times I picked up an old game or was reminded of the release of a new game through this feature.
For Example Path of Exile, through the combination of friendslist, what's new, (and a big ass patch) I knew a new Season has begun. I also played hundreds of hours of Dioblo III but I never find out about any new stuff or new seasons from Diablo because I am not actively using Blizzards ecosystem.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
What would be different if they were a public company? :thinking:
Dunno but i hope they don't go public because then they'd have to pander to the whims of shareholders and chase eternal profit and ever increasing numbers of things on a powerpoint presentation. I'm pretty sure Public Company Valve would actually in reality be even worse than people perceive Private Company Valve to be.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So FF7R is PS4 exclusive, then a new version that is also exclusive, then port it to pc as an Epic exclusive.

Is this a new record in number of exclusivities in a game? Or that goes to Tetris Efect?

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
So FF7R is PS4 exclusive, then a new version that is also exclusive, then port it to pc as an Epic exclusive.

Is this a new record in number of exclusivities in a game? Or that goes to Tetris Efect?
Yeah, Tetris Effect is up there. PS4 for 9 months, Epic for a year, Oculus Quest somehow squeezed in there, and Microsoft for a year with exclusive MP. I'm surprised Stadia didn't get a taste.

I wonder if Samurai Shodown will hit Luna before Steam.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.