Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
In that slide they say that they are surprised that numbers are that low despite acquiring 2.8X more users.
Ever since the leaks started and we gome some numbers about new users I've been wondering how many of those are throwaway accounts or accounts made for resale. If I'm not mistaken that's the period when they offered gta5.
Dunno if I'm paranoid or if there's any truth behind this belief but it's not rare seeing accounts being put for sale on some shady sites...

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The "funny" thing is: Full-price releases ranging from 60 to 80 dollars are setting new CCU records either generally or for their franchise on Steam one after another.
I think thats mainly due to the effect of Covid. Covid probably redefined videogames in a very big way (similar to what Fornite did). It probably reactivated a ton of people into the hobby and made a ton of revenue that would go to other ways of entertainment (including eating out) move into videogames.

Covid probably will have long lasting effects on the "growth curve" of the industry. It is not going to just be a slight bump (such as the PUBG bump for Stema).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Fuu, I should have expected it. The hype for Village was just on pause.
44 euros on cdkeys is good. But it's 44 euros :sweaty-blob:

By the way RPS saying it's one of the great RTX games puzzle me a little ? Their comparison shots are not that impressive imho. Better looking ? For sure ! Worth tanking my framerate or lowering my res, though ? :thinking-face:

Edit (because nobody talks ffs !)
It's funny/sad... hmm no, it's plain pathetic in fact, to see that once generalist PC sites (among others) are turning to click whore shitholes where each time a new big game releases, it's a deluge of articles about this tip, and that tip, oh and don't miss that part too, just click on that other article !

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It definitely a thing and will be great in a few years but at the moment with my RTX 2070 i''l only turn RTX on to have a look and then i'll turn it off again for the performance. When i can afford to buy or even get hold of stock of tech that gives me RTX and big framerates then i'll leave RTX on but for now i prefer the extra frames.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
It definitely a thing and will be great in a few years but at the moment with my RTX 2070 i''l only turn RTX on to have a look and then i'll turn it off again for the performance. When i can afford to buy or even get hold of stock of tech that gives me RTX and big framerates then i'll leave RTX on but for now i prefer the extra frames.
yeah ... pretty much the same thing as with all new graphics tech

• This!
Reactions: LEANIJA

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Ever since the leaks started and we gome some numbers about new users I've been wondering how many of those are throwaway accounts or accounts made for resale. If I'm not mistaken that's the period when they offered gta5.
Dunno if I'm paranoid or if there's any truth behind this belief but it's not rare seeing accounts being put for sale on some shady sites...
I'm sure a ton of burner accounts were made for GTA5 to later resell or use to cheat on until the account got banned.

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
I think It's why the EG Store is so barebones. Why invest in it when you're just going to move everything into your "Metaverse" Fortnite launcher with it's PS Home clone in a few years? EGS is just for presence, to keep relevancy. Even these court cases keep Epic in people's minds while they build Frankenstein's "Metaverse" in the background.
Yeah at this point it's fair enough to say that Epic is not throwing freebies and coupons left and right to grab users for EGS, but to eventually funnel them to Fortnite, which is by far more valuable overall.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I wonder, how long would it reasonably take for Epic to match Steam's functionality if Epic threw all their best designers/programmers etc on it?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I wonder, how long would it reasonably take for Epic to match Steam's functionality if Epic threw all their best designers/programmers etc on it?
We're what, 2-3years in? I'd give it decade before feature parity. I have to imagine not being purpose built from the ground up, and instead going with the unreal engine as is underlying codebase will be a limiting factor for the EGS client at some point. Their web stores might match a lot sooner but client-wise? Maybe if Epic went for a total re-write.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
A while but it's certainly possible that EGS could be in a much better place by now. They have the talent there and the money to hire more talent. Tim is a bloody good software engineer and programmer too when he's not being annoying.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Anyone has had issues with Titanfall 2?
Whenever I try to launch it it whitescreens and becomes non-operative. Maybe it is related to multiscreen situation? As it worked last year for me and there is no real difference on my pc otehrewise.

• Sad

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
A while but it's certainly possible that EGS could be in a much better place by now. They have the talent there and the money to hire more talent. Tim is a bloody good software engineer and programmer too when he's not being annoying.
That's the thing, company behind unreal engine has such shitty game launcher and for 3 years running now. So it has to be a matter of not giving it a priority. I wonder how featurepacked/valuable EGS could be if it was number one priority at Epic for the last three years.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I wonder how featurepacked/valuable EGS could be if it was number one priority at Epic for the last three years.
Egg and chicken. The issue is that one wants to iterate to polish the user experience, and for that purpose, it is best to have a user-base (of guinea pigs) providing feedback about bugs. I think that is one of the reasons for the free games: they want people to play games on their service, to play-test the service.

• Eyes

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
It's not a small task but it's not rocket science and Epic has money to burn. They don't need to match every single feature but they do have to offer all the basics and then find a unique selling point that would be enticing to customers.

In my opinion though, Epic's biggest problem isn't the client. It's that they became a villain. Had they started their efforts without all the moneyhat bullshit, just with giveaways and coupons and first-party development and offering a better deal to developers, they would have earned so much good will from both developers and customers that any shortcomings of the client would have been much easier to forgive.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Sweeney is an extremely talented programmer and software engineer, so if he wants he can do a lot of good stuff for the EGS launcher, but he hasn't yet..

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
As someone working on a large scale web platform, I kinda don't think there's much skillset overlap with creating a game engine. 😅
are you sure about that? have you tried making a game engine?

:toucan:

• Sad
Reactions: Copons

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
In my opinion though, Epic's biggest problem isn't the client. It's that they became a villain. Had they started their efforts without all the moneyhat bullshit, just with giveaways and coupons and first-party development and offering a better deal to developers, they would have earned so much good will from both developers and customers that any shortcomings of the client would have been much easier to forgive.
1000% this, I am tired of being called a Steam fanatic, when I have used other services without issue. Epics opening gambit was needlessly antagonistic. Forcing me to use a barebone store for games that were planned to release elsewhere was a stupid move. That is to say nothing about the fact games would cost me more on EGS on average because of a lack of third party keys on the vast majority of games and smaller discounts on those that have them.

Yes, I want devs to earn more, but cripes having a worse experience and paying more really puts a massive damper on that for myself.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I gotta say, I'm really really enjoying Hellpoint.
Totally feels like Dark Souls in space, in the best possible way. Already made the Choice worth it.
Feels good to play and the exploration has been very satisfying so far. Very non-linear as well in terms of areas, I currently have access to like 5 or so different places I could go to.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Lol, last week Nier Automata was in the anime sale. I willed out of it. Then yesterday I saw that it was even cheaper with Choice. I was gonna bite. Then today it's even cheaper on GMG.
Geez, ok, I can take a hint, let me find my wallet.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
What are your options?
I really liked it! Sure it drags way long and in the end I just wanted it to finish. But like so much of the game is like my favorite Yakuza. I am hyped for 6.

I would say a more focused Minecraft, it's for people like me who like the idea of minecraft but for some or other reason couldn't get into it.
Hmh, sounds like Minecraft without the things I love about it. Think I will stick with Minecraft, still have to try and fish up an enchanting book with mending!

• This!
Reactions: Kyougar and lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
please guys, talk me out of playing Burning Crusade next month.
I am 80% sure that I won't play it but there is some nagging in the back of my head.
I would only play solo and if I remember correctly, TBC had the least solo content.

Why didn't they release Wrath instead? :/ I wasn't playing when wrath was originally released, it has dungeon finder, achievements and quests that I never did. TBC just feels like a middle child that no-one wants.

• Toucan
Reactions: QFNS

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
1000% this, I am tired of being called a Steam fanatic, when I have used other services without issue. Epics opening gambit was needlessly antagonistic. Forcing me to use a barebone store for games that were planned to release elsewhere was a stupid move. That is to say nothing about the fact games would cost me more on EGS on average because of a lack of third party keys on the vast majority of games and smaller discounts on those that have them.

Yes, I want devs to earn more, but cripes having a worse experience and paying more really puts a massive damper on that for myself.
It certainly doesn't help me trust them when they've earned a reputation of not really understanding the PC market. When a company that left the PC market because of 'piracy' and said "Facebook will save PC gaming, but it's not going to look like Gears of War" decides that now they want a piece of the pie I'm not really trusting of them when they tell me if I buy from them now the barebones experience they offer will get better eventually.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Test Flight corresponds to May-June 2020, so basically, GTA V, Civ VI, Borderlands, and Ark (full list for 2020).
88 million dollars for the total buyout costs to offer these games.
Civ was 20 million, Borderlands handsome was 11 million (as per Borderlands 3 document)
Ark wouldn't be that costly.
So GTA was over 50 million

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.