Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
meanwhile i am awaiting the shipping number for my Win3

seems like the other PC handheld project SmachZ just died
That project always seemed super sus, not surprising it didn't go anywhere.
So, my headset just died :jj_mofo:

HyperX never again.
what hyperx were you using? Had a cloud II for ever, and bought a cloud alpha S last year. Really comfy and in my experience also very sturdy.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'll never understand people's affection for Steam controller. It only works decently for games that are still better played with KB+M, as a standard pad replacement it's terrible way to play games.
Well, have you considered that people disagree with you?

In my opinion, it's significantly better than any other controller for anything in which the right stick is used for camera control, which means basically all modern first- and third-person games. The right touchpad in low-friction trackball mode is far better for camera control than a stick, the shape of the controller is more natural to hold for me than anything else while actually keeping a finger permanently on each (shoulder) button, and the freely configurable back buttons are a godsend in several games.

I don't even use it as a KB/M replacement, I'd rather just use KB/M.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I wish I picked up a Steam Controller when it was cheap. The shipping rates scared me off at the time, but thinking about it now it was still a bargain.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Well, have you considered that people disagree with you?

In my opinion, it's significantly better than any other controller for anything in which the right stick is used for camera control, which means basically all modern first- and third-person games. The right touchpad in low-friction trackball mode is far better for camera control than a stick, the shape of the controller is more natural to hold for me than anything else while actually keeping a finger permanently on each (shoulder) button, and the freely configurable back buttons are a godsend in several games.

I don't even use it as a KB/M replacement, I'd rather just use KB/M.
Battery life is great, stick is decent, right touchpad is great, triggers are decent, gyro is great. This is all SteamCon has going for it.
You say it's best at camera controls, and while that's true there's more to games than camera.
Face buttons are Chinese $5 pad terrible, too small and too close to each other. Left touchpad is... well, significantly worse than the right one - the dpadish texture and 56k modem sound it makes on touch just feel bad. Bumpers are pretty much the worst ones I had the displeasure of using. It also weights a ton (especially compared to my daily driver, Wii U Pro pad), meaning my hands get tired really fast while using it.
I really tried giving it a fair share, played through all of Titanfall 2 and Super Mario Galaxy with it + a bunch of point and click games. Never stopped feeling like I was wrestling with something designed not for my hands. I'm replaying Super Mario Galaxy right now with my kid, using Wii U Pro pad, and other than having to switch the gamepad schemes for two levels, I'm having a better time.
But yeah, YMWV

Last edited:

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Speaking of controllers, let me go back to the 8bitDo Pro 2 I've bought.

It's recognized as a 360 controller, so I'm not exactly sure how to make use of the additional buttons (the back paddles, and an additional front-facing button).
The controller software lets me map them to other existing buttons (e.g., I can map the paddles as shoulder buttons), which is all fine and dandy, but I wonder if there's a way to map them to other commands (take a screenshot, or whatever), similarly to how it works with the Steam Controller.

Problem is, that if they are not mapped, they don't seem to send any input signal?
You know when you go to controller properties in Windows? This thing here to be clear:

Pressing the paddles doesn't light up anything. 🤔

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Bloodborne Steam page probably chilling somewhere on Steamdb and I don't know where.
A few years ago it would have been easier to check or even find it, however, nowadays without a package token it is virtually impossible to know what's inside in any package, in fact, it is impossible to know if there's anything at all.

That's the main reason why no database leaks have happened in the last few years (aside of a few small incidents that leaked meaningless stuff) so yeah, while it's 90% in there (given that most of the packages are months if not even a year old) it's impossible to find except for developers who have acces to the token generation. :crying-face:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I have to say that seeing you guys look for it that much and still not find it puts Steam in pretty stark contrast with that other platform that leaked information like a sieve.

Also, morning!
What can I say, tells how much emphasis puts Steam into the security terms but it's a pain in the ass, we are something like information scavengers, as we check the database we like to find tidbits of future things, it's fascinating, and what the heck, I love to know stuff just for the mere fact of having knowledge.

Oh well, waiting it is.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I wonder if there's a way to map them to other commands
Iirc, with the older SN30 in DS4Windows, you can emulate XInput and remap any buttons to keyboard strokes through it. Not sure if it has support for the new Pro 2, though.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Livestream in English air simultaneously. Big news incoming?
Probably Kai, Heroes 3, Monsters 3 or ports/remasters.

I don't expect bigger announcements than that, to be honest.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
It really is, that's basically why I keep saying Valve wants steam to be a kind of bridge that connects as many platforms as possible, only requirement is to have your game on Steam alongside places if you want but steam is mandatory which isn't a bad deal if you ask me.

Service connected with other service via API, isn't it cool?
This is cool beyond imagination. I agree that the requirement isn't a bad deal at all. It benefits everyone.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This is cool beyond imagination. I agree that the requirement isn't a bad deal at all. It benefits everyone.
And console players are going to be apoplectic at the idea of this. See how Sony made Epic pay them for fortnite cross-play? This sort of stuff goes against the grain for them, because they never cared about players or grand ideas like these.

Edit : by console players I mean corporations.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
And console players are going to be apoplectic at the idea of this. See how Sony made Epic pat them for fortnite cross-play? This sort of stuff goes against the grain for them, because they never cared about players or grand ideas like these.
It's sad that this is so true.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I mean, that man plays everything lol
Man? He is more machine than man. Read an interview of him once where he showed his game collection; storage, setup and everything. Worked like a dog (like the Japanese work ethic dictates) for ungodly knows how many hours and could still find the times to play videogames.

I salute the man, but I hope he won't work himself out to an early grave.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Man? He is more machine than man. Read an interview of him once where he showed his game collection; storage, setup and everything. Worked like a dog (like the Japanese work ethic dictates) for ungodly knows how many hours and could still find the times to play videogames.

I salute the man, but I hope he won't work himself out to an early grave.
Yeah, he is a workaholic. I honestly wouldn't mind if Smash Ultimate being his final work (hint: it won't). It's best for his health.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I tried Space Hulk (2013), I really tried. But it's as interesting as watching paint dries, fps are a little bit of a mess, and I just can't stand this level of RNGesus. I can't totally fault the dev on that one, the original boardgame design is like that, but I think I just can't.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Sega's IR presentation today has the following slide. It is blowing up in Japan now.

Honestly, here's my take on this matter:

Especially Sakura Wars. Sega, you killed Kakumei. Fine. Give us back all the mainline games in return.
Sonic Adventure Remake hints and rumors lookin more likely now

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.