Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
1° I move the mouse to move the camera towards my destination
2° I press Z (or W on QWERTY) to move in that direction. The character is unaffected by camera movement until I direct it to move, and then it uses camera orientation as compass.
2'° If I move the camera while moving, the character follows the new "north" automatically.
3° Then there may be variation from game to game on whether the camera repositions itself behind you, if you move straight south with S. Souls do not, so you can look behind you.

Apart from 3° I don't see a difference.

I'll test the next time I boot in windows, in case I grossly misremember what my muscle memory actually does in those games. If so I apologise for the noise.
The 3rd part is the crucial difference, that camera moves and reorients itself while you are in motion. It genuinely feels horrible and has turned me off entire games. It's been the standard for KB&M TPS's for a while, too. And no worries! I have no issues explaining my position if people are rational on the other end :p.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
It's one game that I can say with absolute confidence that it has never appealed to me. Story, characters, gameplay; all of it.

They are technically impressive, though. And I suppose a lot of the lessons learned in creating the mechanics for the third-person shooting in Uncharted carries over to The Last of Us.
I think they're fine, but after playing much better TPS games there's really no reason to go back to them.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
In summary:

• Sonic avatar in Olympic 2020
  • Sonic items on Two Point Hospital
  • Sonic the Fighters playable on the new Judgment game
  • Some Colors Ultimate - EGS exclusive
  • Sonic Prime - New series on Netflix - 2022
  • A lot of Sonic merch
  • New Sonic game by Sonic Team. Just PC logo and it's 2022.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
:cho:

That's a neat one! Worth it for Planescape alone for me. I really liked what I played of the original way back but never got far.
I don't think I'd get to it any time soon, but still!

I need to try getting into TiTS... Apparently I have 7.5 hours on the save file I last played in 2018.
The writing and all that was good, but the combat didn't make any impact. In particular, it never really justified the whole isometric tactics bent it had going on. Maybe it does something with that later, I dunno.
One of Dragon Quest's big things is how it uses every element it has in some meaningful way. There are very few things that I can't see the purpose of, or would say could be removed to objectively improve the game, which is something I can't say about a lot of other RPGs like the few FF's I've played. [UWSL]And I'm talking [/UWSL]little[UWSL] things, stuff like different characters having resistances to different status effects actually become meaningful at points.[/UWSL]
Now is probably the best time for that, considering the Crossbell games got a great translation, so there are no gaps anymore.
The positioning aspect of Trails is not super deep, but it does add some combat options and flavor to the games.

Reactions: QFNS

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
In summary:

• Sonic avatar in Olympic 2020
  • Sonic items on Two Point Hospital
  • Sonic the Fighters playable on the new Judgment game
  • Some Colors Ultimate - EGS exclusive
  • Sonic Prime - New series on Netflix - 2022
  • A lot of Sonic merch
  • New Sonic game by Sonic Team. Just PC logo and it's 2022.
At least it was better than Mario's anniversary. Three barebones ports with limited availability.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Hey Gsync-Meta guys, I have a question, what's the best setting when using G-sync? Like, should you activate V-sync (in nvidia panel or ingame), disable it, adaptive?

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Two people have now argued that Sony exclusives sold better on PS4 than Bloodborne did. I don't dispute that, and it's of course relevant.

But the Steam audience is not the PS4 audience and a late release isn't a day and date release. I believe that both the difference in audience, and the fact that whatever they port would invariably be rather old would favor Bloodborne.
Agreed. I thnk that the PC audience skews heavily towards games that focus on gameplay over those that focus on a cinematic feel. I believe that Bloodborne will easily be the most popular Sony game on Steam.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
The 3rd part is the crucial difference, that camera moves and reorients itself while you are in motion. It genuinely feels horrible and has turned me off entire games. It's been the standard for KB&M TPS's for a while, too.
The funny thing is that I don't recall Souls, specifically, doing it.

Perhaps different games do this with different levels of aggressiveness -- how quickly it reacts to movement, and how much whiplash you get when it does -- and I only notice above a certain threshold.

3rd person in Skyrim/Enderal, for instance, is definitely very agressive with that kind of stuff; I only use it to see how fashionable I am, but consider it otherwise unplayable.

The one thing I never could never abide wrt Souls camera (beside it being the true final boss, especially in tandem with Gravity) is somewhat related to that, actually. The "recenter camera" button is the same as the "lock on" button; so when my squishy mage is bravely running away from Big Hammer Guy, and I turn the camera around to lock on to him, while still running away, if I am half a hair out of lock on max distance, the game finds it advisable to do the exact opposite of the expected effect, violently turning the camera back away from him. Then I get confused. And back"stabbed" with a great hammer.

Never could find a setting to assign those two very different actions to separate buttons.

Anyway, thank you for explaining. Cheers :)

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
As someone who was obsessed with Persona 5 to the point they bought multiple figures of characters from the game release the Kawakami figure already, it going EGS exclusive would be a massive punch in the gut (which means it's going to happen).

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think it looks broken, just different, even has new assets and stuff thrown in and it seems to be night instead of day (or it's in space and earth happens to be in view on the left but it has rotated elsewhere on the right or something). I guess they didn't have to mess with it but the result is subjective (left is better)...

Reactions: xinek and lashman

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Hey Gsync-Meta guys, I have a question, what's the best setting when using G-sync? Like, should you activate V-sync (in nvidia panel or ingame), disable it, adaptive?
Also, don't forget to set the G-Sync option to "Enable to windowed & Fullscreen" mode, too. The Blur Busters' guide still doesn't recommend it for some reason (jorimt prefers it on a per app-basis, I guess), but you won't have issues with it any longer outside of a few apps not respecting your monitor's refresh rate/VRR tech. (Reshade's installation exe, for example.)

Reactions: Snakethesniper

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I played Sonic Colors already on Dolphin, it plays really well and looks beautiful upscaled. My only worry is Sega Japan drinking Timmy's kool aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.