Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Forbidden West looks great, hopefully the gameplay is more "exciting/interesting" than in Zero Dawn.

My only fear right now is my mediocre aiming with a controller.

Reactions: QFNS

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Horizon looked very good, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that Aloy’s character model and animations were overlayed on the footage in the background. Kind of like when you can sometimes tell when a greenscreen was used in a video production and it feels off. Uncanny valley for shading? It felt like she didn’t fit in. I was very confused as to why I wasn't able to accept what I was looking at, but I think this is it :confused-face:

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: lashman and Prodigy

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Bloodborne will live or die based on the price. Ain't paying more than 2o bucks for a 6 year old game that IMO isn't even that good.
I don't care how "unpopular" this opinion is but I'll keep saying it, IMO Bloodborne is among the worst of the Souls-likes made by From

Oh and while I'm at it, I'd much rather replay the Uncharted games than TLOU again; overrated tosh

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Horizon looked very good, but I couldn’t shake the feeling that Aloy’s character model and animations were overlayed on the footage in the background. Kind of like when you can sometimes tell when a greenscreen was used in a video production and it feels off. Uncanny valley for shading? It felt like she didn’t fit in. I was very confused as to why I wasn't able to accept what I was looking at, but I think this is it :confused-face:
Ahah, I am glad to see I was not alone. I had the exact same impression.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
the target price of 399 came from a reddit user who commented something like (before the handheld console was confirmed by ars technica and before that steam thing updated to showoff steampal was an actual thing)

"Valve handheld Q4 2021. Can play all of your Steam library. Uses a custom APU from AMD, 7-8 inch screen, codenamed project Jupiter, codename Aerith for the APU. 399 USD is the price they're aiming for."

"Aerith" was later discovered and confirmed to be a codename for AMD's Van Gogh APU (low-cost apu that can do a good job handheld basically), and it was also later discovered that it was a handheld and that the codenames were also focused towards planets (callisto developer program, neptune, why not jupiter), in other words, this reddit thing got a good amount of stuff right
the only way i can imagine the "SteamPal compatible games" are the games that you just can't play on Big Screen without a keyboard, it should be able to run most modern games in an alright performance as said before, buut the compatible games really depend on the OS, if they go for SteamOS or if they go for Windows (i sincerely hope they go for the latter)
I hope they go for SteamOS. Valve will definitely put a lot of work on compatibility and a device like that would push a lot of developers to either develop Linux versions or ensure perfect Proton compatibility. I really want PC gaming to move away from Windows eventually.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
It is because they are using additional lights to light character in cut scenes and in gameplay. Same thing they did in first game. Light is not natural and you don't get natural shadows.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Is Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remaster worth it if I already own the original game?
When I looked at comparison videos around release, I could barely tell the difference between new and old. Worth it if you'd like to compete against new players for highscores, I guess? I'm personally waiting for it to go down to <$10.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
When I looked at comparison videos around release, I could barely tell the difference between new and old. Worth it if you'd like to compete against new players for highscores, I guess? I'm personally waiting for it to go down to <$10.
For me it, along with NFS Heat are $22ish

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Characters are often lit in different ways from the environment with a few key lights selectively applied to them in cinematics. It's almost guaranteed they had this going on for cinematics shot in this walkthrough, they aren't going to skimp on making everything look as good as they can. You can also have a few lights bound to the character even during gameplay to make it stand out a little, TW3 does this.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Characters are often lit in different ways from the environment with a few key lights selectively applied to them in cinematics. It's almost guaranteed they had this going on for cinematics shot in this walkthrough, they aren't going to skimp on making everything look as good as they can. You can also have a few lights bound to the character even during gameplay to make it stand out a little, TW3 does this.
I get what you mean. This was the first time it stood out so badly for me though. Probably because the shadows on the environment look very realistic otherwise. Also, I mainly noticed in gameplay. It felt like the character was disconnected from the world they were in while moving. A nitpick to be sure, because it’s generally stunning.

Reactions: Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I get what you mean. This was the first time it stood out so badly for me though. Probably because the shadows on the environment look very realistic otherwise. Also, I mainly noticed in gameplay. It felt like the character was disconnected from the world they were in while moving. A nitpick to be sure, because it’s generally stunning.
Not quite a nitpick, I noticed it too but didn't pay it too much mind because that's a thing I feel with many Sony games. There's an almost habitual disconnection from the environment as soon as you enter a cutscene. I don't want to be too mean because I think they have a lot on their plate but they really overdid it if even laypeople noticed it.

Reactions: beep boop

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Forbidden West looks great, hopefully the gameplay is more "exciting/interesting" than in Zero Dawn.

My only fear right now is my mediocre aiming with a controller.
My isue with Horizon so far isn't the gameplay, honestly. That part is fine. It's the boring quest design that just wastes so many opportunities to allow the player to actually role play as Alloy. I have heard Guerilla hired some former Obsidian people as writers this time, so I really hope the game gets at least a little bit better about this.

I say this because I've continued to play Horizon, advancing the main story a bit and reached the Frozen Wilds DLC area, and the world and lore is really interesting. I'd love to have an actual RPG set in this world, but it's so frustrating how shallow it continues to be. If you accept that this games just wants to be a simple action adventure, then it's still quite a bit of fun, but it could be much more interesting.

I will avoid checking on anything related to Forbidden West until there's news it's hitting PC in the near future. I know that could take years, but I'm not interested in buying any console and there's more than enough other stuff to keep me occupied in the meanwhile.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
My isue with Horizon so far isn't the gameplay, honestly. That part is fine. It's the boring quest design that just wastes so many opportunities to allow the player to actually role play as Alloy. I have heard Guerilla hired some former Obsidian people as writers this time, so I really hope the game gets at least a little bit better about this.

I say this because I've continued to play Horizon, advancing the main story a bit and reached the Frozen Wilds DLC area, and the world and lore is really interesting. I'd love to have an actual RPG set in this world, but it's so frustrating how shallow it continues to be. If you accept that this games just wants to be a simple action adventure, then it's still quite a bit of fun, but it could be much more interesting.

I will avoid checking on anything related to Forbidden West until there's news it's hitting PC in the near future. I know that could take years, but I'm not interested in buying any console and there's more than enough other stuff to keep me occupied in the meanwhile.
maybe thats why my opinion differs so much on others here talking about HZD: I like simple action adventures, and I enjoy RPGs less and less. HZD was perfect for me exactly as it was, and I hope Guerilla sticks to the formula with Forbidden West. But thats just me. Either way, I'll also avoid info on the game until it comes to PC, whenever that will happen (my guess is at least 2 or 3 years of exclusivity on PS5).

Reactions: Mivey

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Wait so we have monthly challenges as well? Cool.
I was able to get this as well.
I'm new here so I dunno how this works. Should I post a screenshot where I've obtained all of them?
Pretty much this or just the achievement needed for the challenge.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
maybe thats why my opinion differs so much on others here talking about HZD: I like simple action adventures, and I enjoy RPGs less and less. HZD was perfect for me exactly as it was, and I hope Guerilla sticks to the formula with Forbidden West. But thats just me. Either way, I'll also avoid info on the game until it comes to PC, whenever that will happen (my guess is at least 2 or 3 years of exclusivity on PS5).
That's the thing, though. What I'm proposing is not something that would take anything away form the game if you wish to play it as a simple action adventure. All you'd notice, even if you couldn't care less about RPGs, is that occasionally you get to make a choice, maybe once every 30 minutes, or even less often.
But to me these branching points would actually allow me to think about the story of each quest as something that matters, something were I can decide, bit by bit, who I'm actually playing in this beautiful world, instead of just being guided on rails. People talk a lot of about Witcher 3 RPG prowess, but it was actualy fairly minimalistic when it came to choices, usually it offered you just two, very rarely more. But since CD Projekt was keen on surprising the player with every single quest, those two choices usually had an interesting twist to them. It's amazing to me how efficient the Witcher 3 was, more than anything else.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Been playing a lot of Trackmania 2020 recently and it's such a great game, really the best version of TM Stadium there has ever been - Cup of the Day is some of the best fun in any game ever.
Player numbers luckily seem to be rising too but it's a shame that it took so long - will never understand why this wasn't released on Steam where it would've done incredibly well despite the initially weird subscription system (which is rather cheap on sale anyway).

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
That's the thing, though. What I'm proposing is not something that would take anything away form the game if you wish to play it as a simple action adventure. All you'd notice, even if you couldn't care less about RPGs, is that occasionally you get to make a choice, maybe once every 30 minutes, or even less often.
But to me these branching points would actually allow me to think about the story of each quest as something that matters, something were I can decide, bit by bit, who I'm actually playing in this beautiful world, instead of just being guided on rails. People talk a lot of about Witcher 3 RPG prowess, but it was actualy fairly minimalistic when it came to choices, usually it offered you just two, very rarely more. But since CD Projekt was keen on surprising the player with every single quest, those two choices usually had an interesting twist to them. It's amazing to me how efficient the Witcher 3 was, more than anything else.

yeah, that'd be fine by me :)

Reactions: Mivey and Swenhir

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Been playing a lot of Trackmania 2020 recently and it's such a great game, really the best version of TM Stadium there has ever been - Cup of the Day is some of the best fun in any game ever.
Player numbers luckily seem to be rising too but it's a shame that it took so long - will never understand why this wasn't released on Steam where it would've done incredibly well despite the initially weird subscription system (which is rather cheap on sale anyway).
Something Something Epic deal

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ubisoft really fucked over Nadeo with that - should've thought about the fact that they have a PC centric studio in their organisation lol
Who knows, maybe when they comeback with Ubisoft+ thing everything will rise even more, but in the meantime, Epic deal is the answer why.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ubisoft really fucked over Nadeo with that - should've thought about the fact that they have a PC centric studio in their organisation lol
they have a few ... like Blue Byte (or whatever they renamed it to)

Reactions: --------

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The sub for TM is what did it in for me. I only play once in a blue moon when I have some drinks in me so none of the pricing tiers appealed to my mode of play.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
The sub for TM is what did it in for me. I only play once in a blue moon when I have some drinks in me so none of the pricing tiers appealed to my mode of play.
Free would just work then? You get the current seasonal tracks in both SP+MP like that + Tracks of the Day + Arcade Channel (MP server with different player-made tracks) which should be more than enough for a drunk evening I think.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Free would just work then? You get the current seasonal tracks in both SP+MP like that + Tracks of the Day + Arcade Channel (MP server with different player-made tracks) which should be more than enough for a drunk evening I think.
Really? When I played around launch, I got the impression that there was no live multiplayer in the free tier, only ghosts. Did that change or did I overlook the MP server somehow?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, looks like I missed the train on the grey market economy. In a few days Storm Ground went from 22 to 27 euros :anguished-face:

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Really? When I played around launch, I got the impression that there was no live multiplayer in the free tier, only ghosts. Did that change or did I overlook the MP server somehow?
I might've been wrong about Tracks of the Day being in the free version (got no easy way to check right now) but the campaign maps in MP + the Arcade Channel are definitely available for all players. Just gotta look in the Live Tab and it should be there.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I might've been wrong about Tracks of the Day being in the free version (got no easy way to check right now) but the campaign maps in MP + the Arcade Channel are definitely available for all players. Just gotta look in the Live Tab and it should be there.
Well, good to know! I'll have to redownload it one of these days. I've always got TM2 installed for whenever the mood stikes, but I'm open to jumping ship.

Reactions: lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I've been really busy recently, but I've managed to find time to make a new video about one game that I wanted since the first time I saw it in magazines back in 2002:

I wonder how many of you guys ever heard about this game, it's a pretty obscure one. Doubt that this episode will find a lot of audience, but it was fun to work on it.
That's an obscure game. I don't think I've heard about it before your video.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.