Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Big Picture in React would be soooo nice. I don't get what the current Big Picture setup is made in, but it really shouldn't be something that can make my laptop hot the few times I play games on it.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
What are the benefits of having BPM made in react?

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Looks like there were tons of rumbling around when I was not here. Just a reminder, join us on the hype train and tell us your E3 expectations and dreams. Two weeks to go. See you soon!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I don't care how "unpopular" this opinion is but I'll keep saying it, IMO Bloodborne is among the worst of the Souls-likes made by From

Oh and while I'm at it, I'd much rather replay the Uncharted games than TLOU again; overrated tosh
I have a friend who has beaten every other Dark Souls games like at least 5 times each, and he says Bloodborne isn't worth playing more than once.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and xinek

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I have a friend who has beaten every other Dark Souls games like at least 5 times each, and he says Bloodborne isn't worth playing more than once.
A bit harsh. I would say 2 playthroughs is perfect to get everything out of BB.

And on PC I don't think people will exploit the PS4 USB save scum trick so majority will playthrough 3 times to get all cheevos. Tho I guess save states and cheatengine are a thing

Still a far cry from the Souls trilogy where 4-5 playthroughs is always warranted. The thing with Souls games is magic/dark/faith/pyro builds which can really feel like their own separate game. They add so many layers to everything. The PVP variety/grind also provide a ton more in the souls games.

And even tho Bloodborne doesn't have a lot of replay value..I still say it falls inline with the Souls trilogy in that the second you finish your first playthrough....you will immediately start the second. There is a ton of cryptic content in it and its highly unlikely a person experiences everything without a comprehensive guide.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Along with a more stable, reliable, and faster service, one of our key goals is to provide you with safe and friendly environment so you can connect with other players. If you have an unfortunate encounter with someone you no longer wish to communicate with you can of course block another user from directly within the chat. If you would like us to further investigate someone, please head over to this support page to file a report.

Chat logs are a key bit of information that can aid us in investigations, however this doesn’t mean they should exist forever. These logs are never decrypted unless it requires further investigation and in addition to that, moving forward we will only be storing that chat data for 3 months.

Can companies stop putting at risk user privacy?

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018

Can companies stop putting at risk user privacy?
This is sooo weird though because as I stated earlier in the thread (and to you specifically!), some games uses the old overlay with chat support while other (newer) games uses the new overlay with no chat support yet. why why why

Reactions: PC-tan

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Playing the Scarlet Nexus demo on PS5 and the game is suprisingly good. Didn't expect much of it.
Played it on my xbox one but I'm hoping they release the demo on PC so I can see how it performs on my rig and how it feels to play the game at 60 fps. On my Xbox One it felt sluggish.

Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Looks awesome to me, although I might be the biggest sucker for Ubisoft open world games. Bought every single one and loved them all, something about them for me just ticks those boxes. Day 1.
I wish I shared your view. I was a relative fan of open world, but then I played Origins for a few hours and just noped out of this gigantic boxes ticker of a map.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I don't remember Ritual being divisive?

Sure some people disliked it but the overall reception was positive from my experience.
Maybe I'm overblowing most of the negative commentaries
I think that it's the people who didn't like it (like me) really didn't like it. It's pretty much at the bottom of my metroidvania tier list if I ever make one, with some really obviously bad design decisions for that genre. The fact that those decisions didn't bother other people as much is OK, but I will absolutely not buy another Iga game if that's how they're going to do things.

It's pretty striking when you consider Symphony of the Night is one of the defining games of the genre and Bloodstained straight up made worse several ideas from it, much less when you consider the literal decades of iteration and improvement on the genre.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Lightweight and efficiently powerful. Would make sense when designing something that is meant to run on batteries.
Not sure I'd call React lightweight and efficient... 😅

Valve's choice is probably related to the developers experience.
React is the de facto library of modern JavaScript, which means countless of modules, addons, patterns, build systems, and whatnot, all ready to be used.
It has a bit of a learning curve, but then it's incredibly easy to handle, and it can be used for native apps.
And also, I'm reasonably sure that there are many more developers and designers familiar with React than with whatever they used for BPM before. 😄

Reactions: C-Dub

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
The entire article feels like old people playing games and talking about standard PC features as if it's rocket science. A bit depressing.
But when it comes to PC ports, it is rocket science. Until Sekiro, none of the Souls games on PC even displayed M&K keys in the prompts, even if that was what you used. I got XBox stuff instead. (So did most console ports I ever saw). What could be more basic than properly displaying the game's buttons?

When I started with DS3, I needed to have a little prompt <-> key correspondance table written on a scrap of paper. It required a good deal of motivation to get into the game because of that.. I still need to go back to the settings from time to time to refresh my memory of what is what.

Compared to handling player input properly and displaying useful prompts, bells and whistles like FOV, graphics options, ultrawide ? They really are rocket surgery.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Not sure I'd call React lightweight and efficient... 😅

Valve's choice is probably related to the developers experience.
React is the de facto library of modern JavaScript, which means countless of modules, addons, patterns, build systems, and whatnot, all ready to be used.
It has a bit of a learning curve, but then it's incredibly easy to handle, and it can be used for native apps.
And also, I'm reasonably sure that there are many more developers and designers familiar with React than with whatever they used for BPM before. 😄
React may not be the most lightweight or efficient on its own, but compared to say, a certain other launcher built in a 3d game engine, it might as well be feathers

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
But when it comes to PC ports, it is rocket science. Until Sekiro, none of the Souls games on PC even displayed M&K keys in the prompts, even if that was what you used. I got XBox stuff instead. (So did most console ports I ever saw). What could be more basic than properly displaying the game's buttons?

When I started with DS3, I needed to have a little prompt <-> key correspondance table written on a scrap of paper. It required a good deal of motivation to get into the game because of that.. I still need to go back to the settings from time to time to refresh my memory of what is what.

Compared to handling player input properly and displaying useful prompts, bells and whistles like FOV, graphics options, ultrawide ? They really are rocket surgery.
Fair warning, I think we agree. It's just that it really is not rocket science. This is really, really basic engineering and ergonomics. The answers are out there on the PCGamingWiki, I can't possibly believe knowing what an option menu ought to contain is an unknown to the gaming industry, not today.

If this is rocket science to them, it is because of incompetence or lack of willingness to care. Not because it is hard. Making a game is hard, not this.

I'm guessing this is what you meant but I still balk at the idea of acknowledging or rewarding the gaming industry for deigning make a proper port for PC games. They don't deserve recognition for doing a good enough job. Sales and user reviews are enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.