Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
re: Atlus surveys

They're low key insulting, to be honest. People have been bitching about a certain game coming to certain platforms since its release 5 years ago and they haven't figured it out already?
Yes, they unironically haven't figured it out yet. Because you know, they wouldn't be making us a favor, WE will be giving them money!

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
That's the thing, I don't use my tablet as a computer (because, duh, why would I? I have a PC for that), and for the stuff I use it for (manga reading with Tachiyomi, streaming games from PC, watching videos with Plex, light puzzle games) it's 16:10 form factor and OLED screen are superior than anything Apple can offer ATM.
I do have both an old Ipad (it's 32 bit, which should tell you something) I use for exclusive rhythm games and wife's 2021 model, and either of these is a subpar experience for my needs.
My tablet is just a cheap Amazon Fire I bought years ago and side loaded the Play store on, I can't think of any reasons why I'd need anything more.
:shrugblob:

I'f I'm doing more than reading or watching something I go to the PC.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I have zero faith they aren't just trying to round up more chumps for gambling,
This is one of the reasons why I abandoned gacha gaming. Another reason is that all the content that people paid for can randomly lose because of server closure. After Sakura Kakumei, I promised to myself I will never ever play a gacha game again. There are much better things in the world that I can commit my time and money without worrying that I will lose everything eventually.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
sprinkles couldn’t you take a pic with the book open ? Memory may be hazy but the last time I considered buying it I was annoyed by the tiny previews pic. I think. Don’t quote me on that.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Beyond Two Souls has the worst controls that I ever experienced in a game.
And maybe one of the worst stories? :p

I watched it all on YouTube because it was compellingly bad ;)

I even bought the game when it came to Steam but couldn't make myself play it further than an hour in ;)

Not to judge anyone who liked it. I even liked watching it... in a weird way. Just not playing it.

sprinkles
:sweating:

Unrelated, I may finally bite on Vampire Survivors and Gunlocked.
Vampire Survivors has my full recommendation. You can have several hours of fun with it for a low price.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
perfect for the Deck :p

and while you're at it - grab this one as well:

Hmm, isn't it a little too similar to VS (and Gunlock ?). Not a big issue in itself but I don't want to burn on the genre before even trying it.
The pixel-y zelda like you talked about recently is tempting too.

Edit - Talked about on the top of this very page, Meta is hit hard by summer laziness. No one posts :anguished-face:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hmm, isn't it a little too similar to VS (and Gunlock ?). Not a big issue in itself but I don't want to burn on the genre before even trying it.
kinda, but it's actually really good, and they keep updating it like crazy :) and it has enough differences to not just make it a straight-up clone

The pixel-y zelda like you talked about recently is tempting too.
oh yeah, that one is great too :D

• Love
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Bitmap Books really are amazing (the CRPG one is of similar quality). I got the JRPG one as a gift last Christmas, and your post reminded me to finally read some more:

(It is nice weather today to read outside!)
I have the point and click adventure one and I adore it.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
hey y'all, PossiblyPudding is streaming again! more Bugsnax, yay! :D

and there's a CatCam™ today! :D

Something's going on here, I know it! You can't hide it from me!

Haha seems I have a lot of notifications to go through and now I understand why you suggested I check the forum. Thank you so so much for always promoting my stream. It really means a lot! I'm so bad at that stuff and feel a little awkward doing it. :cat-heart-blob:

Still not sure I'm fully cut out to be a streamer but like I've said elsewhere I'm having fun doing it and that's the important part. :cuteblob:

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Something's going on here, I know it! You can't hide it from me!

Haha seems I have a lot of notifications to go through and now I understand why you suggested I check the forum. Thank you so so much for always promoting my stream. It really means a lot! I'm so bad at that stuff and feel a little awkward doing it. :cat-heart-blob:

Still not sure I'm fully cut out to be a streamer but like I've said elsewhere I'm having fun doing it and that's the important part. :cuteblob:
you're really good at it, keep going! :D i always have a lot of fun watching your streams!

:steam_pigblanket:

:sf_lovb:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Exactly. Have fun doing your thing and don’t burden yourself with achieving whatever sub number. The competition is horrible in this field and some failing streamers can be just sad to watch. But the butt of the joke is that they are not sad because they are not watched but because they are visibly not having fun.
Ironically enough, having pleasure in doing your thing may in itself help you getting views !

Or not, maybe I’m spouting nonsense. And I didn’t miss the irony, it’s so easy to have a motivation speech when you are not the target. Applying one’s own medicine is hard.

#I’mDownButStillCheeringMyFriends

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
#I’mDownButStillCheeringMyFriends
Aww! I appreciate it! I'll never say no to a good pep talk from a friend. :cat-heart-blob:

And yeah, you're absolutely right. I'm not expecting to become big nor do I really think I'd want that anyway. I've set my expectations pretty low and if I manage to ever reach something like affiliate I'll consider that a huge accomplishment.

In the meantime I'll just continue being my goofball self, sometimes playing equally goofy games and constantly readjusting my camera because my cats and/or Jaxson refuse to stay in frame. :disapproval-blob:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The ATLUS survey is weird for a number of reasons and it gives me the impression that the survey is for ATLUS JPN to judge stuff for themselves. For when planning on developing future titles, seeing how SEGA doesn't force ATLUS to do stuff.

The Steam stuff was strange because some of them seemed to be rather simple questions but they also seemed to be more about marketing.

So you have your traditional marketing and that's what has existed for decades now both in Japan and World Wide, but then you have Steam which is still relatively new especially with how it's been less than 10 years (Capcom maybe being the only one that's been doing it for 10+ years now and every one else has only been taking it more seriously in the last 6 or so years) that Japanese companies have been using it more often and even doing a simultaneous release on Steam and consoles world wide.

If you didn't get the Survey it even asked stuff about steam, like did you notice the game because it was featured on the Steam home page and did you pre-order the game because of a discount. And yes there are discounts on consoles as well but at this point in time at least in the US PC games are still cheaper than consoles games because places like GMG, voidu, etc. Will have them for 15+% off for pre-ordering.

In the past for their console surveys they would ask stuff like does a physical copy matter and do physical pre-order bonuses and collectors editions mater. Sadly there was no option about a physical CE for PC stuff so we will likely never get any of those, which really really sucks since there have been PC CEs and even in Japan the recent little witch nobeta game is getting a PC CE, it will just be a steam key and the physical stuff but it is at least an option for those that want one. So the PC CE may be missing a thing or two but at least it exists and you don't have to buy the console CE just for the extra stuff.

One of the questions even mentioned for PC and stuff (I can't remember if it was PC specific) but it did also about do sales ranking mater to you. So if a game was in the Steam top 10 sellers would that catch your attention sort of thing.

Steam is just different compared to consoles and you can't just drop your game on there and expect it to sell well, there are a number of other factors as well, and that's what some of the questions seemed to be asking about.

The only thing that's doesn't really interest me are streamers, there seems to be a narrative that if the game becomes popular with streamers that it will sell well and stuff like that, which is not always the case.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Gunlock. That will be a no from me. Too early, maybe I will be back later when they will hopefully have fleshed the game out.
The hamster wheel experience isn’t there, the music becomes insufferable fast and the game itself, while having interesting ideas, is nowhere close to be as well designed as Vampire Survivors.

Refund, with no animosity, just not there.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Grabbed Nomad Survival last night. Think I put about 3 hours into it.

Not sure what to think about it at the moment. Everything about it feels slightly slower paced than Vampire Survivors. You progress through the levels slightly slower. It doesn’t seem to hit that end game insanity of the screen being filled with weapons firing off and damage numbers filling the screen. Also not sure if there are the equivalent of weapon evolving in this. I don’t like the reliance on upscale sprite work. What’s odd is that the actual bosses are properly drawn and not upscaled. The fact you get all weapons up front, or at least a lot of weapons, hinders learning what the weapons do and how effective they are.

At this moment in time I would also say it isn't very Deck friendly. While playing the game the controller seems perfectly fine. However inside any menus mine does not seem to work and I have to resort to using the mouse for that side of things. OK I am an idiot. Right stick for some reason is for navigating the menu

However I am very early in the unlocks.

More positive side of things, it looks better than Vampire Survivors. I like the character sprites and monsters in it. The fact that you seem to hold around 15 weapons and passive upgrades is pretty cool. While there appears to only be around 8 characters at the moment there are plenty of sub classes to unlock. Best of all though, it has learnt the same trick as Vampire Survivors. It is only £2/€3/$3.

Now while it may look more negative than positive I am still enjoying my time with the game. It does enough different than Vampire Survivors to be its own game and not just an outright clone.

My recommendation is this. If you don’t have any of these type of games then go Vampire Survivors. However if you are waiting on the next update or two for Vampire Survivors but still want that same itch scratching then you will probably enjoy this.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
But the butt of the joke is that they are not sad because they are not watched but because they are visibly not having fun.
Ironically enough, having pleasure in doing your thing may in itself help you getting views !
That is sadly a toxic side to it all.:/ like people aren’t allowed to be people, always being performing with that overly positive performance. I understand why it is like that but do wish we could a bigger range of human emotion only, even if it is someone being sad because they don’t get views which is perfectly natural, doesn’t mean they don’t want to do what they do.

this is not nothing again you of course, I just picked up on something that I think is failing with online discourse overall. 🥰

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Gears collection is desperately needed and I'm glad for it. Been so desperate for good third-person shooters these days. Seems like a practically dead genre sadly.

Also excited to see it because you know the graphics are gonna be insane. :whistle:
=======

Unrelated I noticed Digimon Survive will launch on the same day as Xenoblade 3. 💸

=======

Edit: I'm basically all packed up. Moving in 4-5 days. Kinda nervous. NY to Texas is a long drive.

Also chemotherapy is all done and no more surgeries left so I'm in the clear for now. Fuck you cancer, I made it. :dmcblob:

Status
Not open for further replies.