Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I used to comment how the 360 version of Team Fortress 2 would ultimately be superior because of all these alterations to the gameplay and it turns out I was right.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Even if you don't like the new weapons and cosmetics Valve added there's so many quality of life stuff they added over the years to make the game better. Stuff like Pyro being able to reflect projectiles or Engineers being able to move buildings.

Also most of the launch maps are pretty bad IMO and only playing on 360 means you're missing out on the 100 or so maps and at least half a dozen new game modes they added over the years

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So a few things.

First and most importantly congrats to Echo, great to hear that you have gone into remission (think that's the right phrase...) Hoping everything goes well with both your health and the big move.

Secondly, I think I need to hand my gamers card in. First boss in Hatchwell was abolutely wrecking me. Think I did 20 runs. Hitting the thing like 20 times in a fight. Getting really frustrated with all the dieing. Then I remembered to use my watering can on the tentacles. You know, the lesson the entire dungeon was teaching you and something Zelda, it;'s closest inspiration, teaches through the use of dungeon specific weapons. So when you do it properly the boss goes down in next to no time at all. Only thing I can say is, well, Sigh.

Starting to get the hang of Nomad Survival So relics turn out to be the closest comparison to the weapon ascencions. Quite like the idea of heritages and enjoying the Merchant heritage (only one skill to choose from instead of the four, but a chance for more relics in chests). So yeah, definately enough of a differentiation from Vampire Survivors. Got to say, hell of a difficulty spike from the first map to the second. Can only get to about 15 minutes of the run and that was a struggle.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Secondly, I think I need to hand my gamers card in. First boss in Hatchwell was abolutely wrecking me. Think I did 20 runs. Hitting the thing like 20 times in a fight. Getting really frustrated with all the dieing. Then I remembered to use my watering can on the tentacles. You know, the lesson the entire dungeon was teaching you and something Zelda, it;'s closest inspiration, teaches through the use of dungeon specific weapons. So when you do it properly the boss goes down in next to no time at all. Only thing I can say is, well, Sigh.
speaking of which, look what just got achievements (and cloud saves, lol):

Starting to get the hang of Nomad Survival So relics turn out to be the closest comparison to the weapon ascencions. Quite like the idea of heritages and enjoying the Merchant heritage (only one skill to choose from instead of the four, but a chance for more relics in chests). So yeah, definately enough of a differentiation from Vampire Survivors. Got to say, hell of a difficulty spike from the first map to the second. Can only get to about 15 minutes of the run and that was a struggle.
the upgrades help a lot :) and glad you're enjoying the game as well - i've been trying to tell everyone it's good for a while now, haha

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
The Fall Guys announcement legitimately bums me out. I loved the game when it first came out and played it near daily until the Epic purchase was announced. I uninstalled it immediately since I knew it would require an Epic account at some point and get pulled from Steam. And I was right.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
First off, thanks all for the big show of support!

======================

I have a question for the more technically well-read.
For Nvidia DSR factors, what is the difference between "Legacy scaling" and "DL Scaling?"

Also is it possible to combine both DSR and DLSS? That is to say could I DLSS a game to 4k, than have it downsample to my native 1440p?

======================
You can now on an official Neon Genesis Evangelion Router
ROG x EVANGELION | ROG Global (asus.com)
Not just a router from the looks of it! A whole dang EVA PC you could build! I think it's all quite pretty, but I have bad luck with ASUS parts. Even my current Router, it's an ASUS and it shits the bed every other week. Requires a power down and back rub to get working again every time. 😅

Morten88

Aug 8, 2021
Feels like Epic is really late to the party with Fall Guys. Sure, they can boost the popularity a bit for some time, but it has had it's peak and Valve has already made hundreds off millions off the game.
Yep and the other fall guys knock off games on steam have more players, stumble guys right now have 14.5k players while fall guys only have 8.5k

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
heyyy, awesome news, everyone:

this is unironically an AMAZING game, and the controller support is actually really good

AND they just updated it and added 6 new environments (so 60 new puzzles! and it also has a craptonne of new ones in the steam workshop)

it's soooooo worth the $5 it's not even funny!

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I’m in the office from Monday. Thankfully it’s only two days a week, but that’s two days too many.
Oh yeah I’ve been doing the office for a little while now too, it’s only once or twice a week at least
But sadly I meant travelling that involves airports and the like 😞

I was back to the office after like 2 months working from home 2 years ago XD I couldn't stand working from home anymore, i was working more when i was at home, i got sick of the same environment, and i missed office talk with coworkers.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I have a question for the more technically well-read.
For Nvidia DSR factors, what is the difference between "Legacy scaling" and "DL Scaling?"

Also is it possible to combine both DSR and DLSS? That is to say could I DLSS a game to 4k, than have it downsample to my native 1440p?
DLDSR is AI supported DSR (DL = Deep Learning). Basically reverse DLSS - it renders a picture at higher resolution and then uses AI to smartly downsample it to your chosen native resolution. I don't remember if it gives you better quality than Legacy scaling at equal factors, or the same quality with better performance though.

You should be able to combine it with DLSS, though I dunno what that means exactly for IQ and performance.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Also I sent back to running today. Overall not bad, I am at like 50% compared to my peak level of fitness last year. I should be able to ramp up things bit faster then I did last year. And Deck will help me to avoid sitting in the chair too much this year.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
DLDSR is AI supported DSR (DL = Deep Learning). Basically reverse DLSS - it renders a picture at higher resolution and then uses AI to smartly downsample it to your chosen native resolution. I don't remember if it gives you better quality than Legacy scaling at equal factors, or the same quality with better performance though.

You should be able to combine it with DLSS, though I dunno what that means exactly for IQ and performance.
DSR gives great results at 4x due to each axis being a multiple of the native resolution (horizontal x 2, vertical x 2), but at other factors the results aren't so nice and the smoothness slider is used to try to alleviate this somewhat.
DLDSR uses AI instead of the smoothness slider to improve the scaling at these non-multiple factors, I think.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I love wfh
If I never had to go to an office again I'd be quite content :p
Same. In my current job my team is all over the UK. Only three people on my team are based in my office, so I will go in and do the same thing in the office that I do at home: sign on to Teams and join a meeting with colleagues in the North of England.

Only I need to get up an hour earlier to walk in, eat a shitty sandwich lunch rather than leftovers from last night and be less productive partially by default, and partially out of sheer spite.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Same. In my current job my team is all over the UK. Only three people on my team are based in my office, so I will go in and do the same thing in the office that I do at home: sign on to Teams and join a meeting with colleagues in the North of England.

Only I need to get up an hour earlier to walk in, eat a shitty sandwich lunch rather than leftovers from last night and be less productive partially by default, and partially out of sheer spite.
The pandemic showed that tons of office positions can be perfectly done remotely and the massive amount of dollars spent in office space (and actual space that could be used for affordable housing) is a lot of bullshit.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I finished Chorus. It's.... fine. It is pretty, of course, and it has a fun take on arcadey space combat. It's largely a 3rd-person action game but in space. Unfortunately there is very little "exploration" even though it's fairly open, there are plenty of side quests but that's really it. The story and dialogue range from interesting to incredibly questionable, and a lot of it (if you do the side quests) is very repetitive. Despite the chance to expand more, ultimately the universe, factions, and characters are left largely unexplored, to the point where I was legitimately confused at the start of an end game quest as to what this faction I was working with was and why they weren't shooting me.

The combat is fun at first but also gets very repetitive, and ultimately the design choices of it leave it very shallow. It's fast and aggressive but enemy ships are small, fragile, more accurate and manueverable than you, which leaves you just doing the same few moves over and over again to deal with them. They do not keep at range, they are constantly (CONSTANTLY) attacking you, there is not really any cover / terrain element at play (they are too fast and mobile to ever use the detailed and fun-to-fly-through structures to your advantage), and you die very fast, so you are just backed into doing what works. There are also far too few enemy types. The big ships are fun but hard to read - they have different layouts but look very similar, and ultimately are just puzzles you have to shoot things in certain order to beat. A missed opportunity for a lot of depth in the combat design.

Overall it's a solid game but overstays its' welcome by a good ~50% (I beat it in 18 hours and would have been fine with it being 6 hours shorter), OR with more depth and consideration added to the systems. The areas are detailed and look interesting but are ultimately empty - there are random encounters to maybe "make up" for that, but those are again just the same ~4 things cycled over. And again, you can't use the terrain to your advantage in combat because enemies are constantly so close - it's a shame, because flying around can be satisfying.

The worst designs in the entire game are the "temple" areas, which I get what they were going for but they are just abysmally built. They're indoor, claustrophobic spaces, with tunnels they want to make you fly through to get that feeling but you can't see what's coming and the ship speed does NOT match the tunnel size/layout which makes it incredibly frustrating. Couple this with the fact that a lot of the "challenges" in those areas are just insta-kill or some other bespoke mechanic, and if you just removed all 6-7 of those from the game you'd get a bump up in quality, even though arguably they are "variety" from the open space areas.

This feels like a pretty harsh critique, but ultimately it's just a very 6 or 7 out of 10 game. It could easily have been an 8 or even 9 with a little more care, which always sucks to experience. I don't totally regret my time with it but it sucks it wasn't better.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I finished Chorus. It's.... fine. It is pretty, of course, and it has a fun take on arcadey space combat. It's largely a 3rd-person action game but in space. Unfortunately there is very little "exploration" even though it's fairly open, there are plenty of side quests but that's really it. The story and dialogue range from interesting to incredibly questionable, and a lot of it (if you do the side quests) is very repetitive. Despite the chance to expand more, ultimately the universe, factions, and characters are left largely unexplored, to the point where I was legitimately confused at the start of an end game quest as to what this faction I was working with was and why they weren't shooting me.

The combat is fun at first but also gets very repetitive, and ultimately the design choices of it leave it very shallow. It's fast and aggressive but enemy ships are small, fragile, more accurate and manueverable than you, which leaves you just doing the same few moves over and over again to deal with them. They do not keep at range, they are constantly (CONSTANTLY) attacking you, there is not really any cover / terrain element at play (they are too fast and mobile to ever use the detailed and fun-to-fly-through structures to your advantage), and you die very fast, so you are just backed into doing what works. There are also far too few enemy types. The big ships are fun but hard to read - they have different layouts but look very similar, and ultimately are just puzzles you have to shoot things in certain order to beat. A missed opportunity for a lot of depth in the combat design.

Overall it's a solid game but overstays its' welcome by a good ~50% (I beat it in 18 hours and would have been fine with it being 6 hours shorter), OR with more depth and consideration added to the systems. The areas are detailed and look interesting but are ultimately empty - there are random encounters to maybe "make up" for that, but those are again just the same ~4 things cycled over. And again, you can't use the terrain to your advantage in combat because enemies are constantly so close - it's a shame, because flying around can be satisfying.

The worst designs in the entire game are the "temple" areas, which I get what they were going for but they are just abysmally built. They're indoor, claustrophobic spaces, with tunnels they want to make you fly through to get that feeling but you can't see what's coming and the ship speed does NOT match the tunnel size/layout which makes it incredibly frustrating. Couple this with the fact that a lot of the "challenges" in those areas are just insta-kill or some other bespoke mechanic, and if you just removed all 6-7 of those from the game you'd get a bump up in quality, even though arguably they are "variety" from the open space areas.

This feels like a pretty harsh critique, but ultimately it's just a very 6 or 7 out of 10 game. It could easily have been an 8 or even 9 with a little more care, which always sucks to experience. I don't totally regret my time with it but it sucks it wasn't better.

Yeah... to me it looked like they made it look good and play/feel good and then just rushed to the finish line because they didn't have the time and resources to spend another year designing and playtesting enemies/areas/encounters and tweaking all the variables to match.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Continuing with Valkyria Chronicles 4!
Still a lovely game, with a good story. But I'm starting to feel that it's possible to figure out all the plot twists a mile away....
It's one of the best games ever made imo. The story and characters aren't as good as the first game (there's DLC with these folks tho), but the gameplay is almost perfect. Enjoy the game! :giggle:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
It's one of the best games ever made imo. The story and characters aren't as good as the first game (there's DLC with these folks tho), but the gameplay is almost perfect. Enjoy the game! :giggle:
This. VC1’s gameplay is largely solid, but has a terrible learning curve, a few insane difficulty spikes dotted around and I feel the structure is a bit wonky. Very well written, though.

VC4 has a solid sense of momentum, great mission structure, a sense of ramping difficulty that eases you in but doesn’t hold your hand. The story is decent but not amazing like the first game’s, which in my mind holds it back from being a masterpiece.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Another Patent Tuesday, another Valve VR patent
Don't think it's technically new info tho.

Sensory feedback systems and methods for guiding users in virtual reality environments
Sensory feedback (“chaperoning”) systems and methods for guiding users in virtual/augmented reality environments such as walk-around virtual reality environments are described. Exemplary implementations assist with preventing collisions with objects in the physical operating space in which the user acts, among other potential functions and/or uses.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
The pandemic showed that tons of office positions can be perfectly done remotely and the massive amount of dollars spent in office space (and actual space that could be used for affordable housing) is a lot of bullshit.
Das right.
Part of my job requires to be on sites, but it's rarely an emergency, meaning that i can plan around it and spent 2 days a week fully from home without losing productivity where i just do mails, phonecalls, teamschats and webex meetings.

It's even made me more productive if anything since im more relaxed working from home and can do housechores in the little breaks in between.

also, i can play videogames while in calls and meetings

FunnyJay