Community MetaSteam | May 2023 - Bloody hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Happy May to everyone! Thank you for the new thread Mor!!!

Been super busy celebrating our daughter's 2nd birthday and getting ready for the new baby by the end of this month. Will be finding out this week if we have even less time than we think. :sweaty-blob:

Somehow have still not slowed down my purchases, but mostly a few random titles here and there. Most notable was Boneraiser Minions, which I have liked even more than Vampire Survivors. The May games I am interested in are Etrian Odyssey, Boltgun, and Humanity.

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
The "it's impossible the get good performance for 600+ configurations" argument that has been put out to defend the Jedi Survivor PC port annoys me. How about making the game run good for people with basically the best possible hardware before you use that argument? It seems a bit far fetched to imagine that others would get acceptable performance, when the game is barely playable for me due to horrible shader compilation stuttering on my 12900k and Geforce RTX 4090 system.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
thanks for the new thread Mor :D

I'm also coming in here with a scorching hot take here in the year of our lord 2023
I'm playing Banjo Kazooie for the first time and it's pretty darn great
UNTIL the last world onwards

Jesus Christ climbing that big tree many times was an exercise in frustration
And that quiz thing can fuck right off with the power of 1000 suns
Now I've just the last boss to come but I feel I've been through the wringer
God I'm getting old...

Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
The "it's impossible the get good performance for 600+ configurations" argument that has been put out to defend the Jedi Survivor PC port annoys me. How about making the game run good for people with basically the best possible hardware before you use that argument? It seems a bit far fetched to imagine that others would get acceptable performance, when the game is barely playable for me due to horrible shader compilation stuttering on my 12900k and Geforce RTX 4090 system.
They're corporate apologists

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, it's just a shit excuse from them.
Loads of games run absolutely fine on much lower spec systems than yours.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, 600 configs is a goal too high for Respawn, they should be aiming for 1 right now and go from there

:wd_p:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

In case anyone thought the cool Steam page bacckground for Devolver sale was awesome or just whatever they put up a thing for wallpapers of it!
(I had went and downloaded the background image of it off steam itself but it was a wonky image size so actual premade backgrounds are cool!))

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I was going to call it a deflection but it's just a lie, actually. Miles Morales came out on PC a few months ago and I played it with no issue in 4K 60hz on my main PC and then also played it with no stuttering on my Steam Deck, you can't have configurations much more different than that. To say nothing of the other dozens and dozens of 3D engine games the past few years that run well on anything from minimum requirements up if you put the correct settings on. Everspace 2 is by a much smaller studio than Respawn and by all accounts it seems to run well for people (and it was Kickstarted!).

Reactions: d00d3n and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Instead of posting about a bad game that you won't ever play, let's post something you like in a good game you actually played! :flare_yukata:
I'm still playing Labyrinth of Refrain on Steam Deck, and the squad mechanics for combat make for some of the most interesting party building I've ever seen in any dungeon crawler, or even RPG in general.
One potential disadvantage is that, depending on which squad types you use, you could need a dozen or more fully built characters, including equipment and everything, and the systems for that aren't trivial either so it could be a bit of a time sink. But at least for me, the difficulty is kind of well balanced so far, at least by genre standards. It's not a cakewalk and I do need to engage with the systems, but I also don't need to hyper-focus on making everything optimal.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Instead of posting about a bad game that you won't ever play, let's post something you like in a good game you actually played! :flare_yukata:
I just finished up Supraland Six Inches Under and it's just better in every way I think from the first (already solid) game. Still think the combat is a pointless inclusion but it's less intrusive now.

Also, after getting Satisfactory in the Humble bundle a while back, my brother and I are enjoying playing it co-op for the first time, exploring and researching and optimizing away.

• Comfy
Reactions: d00d3n and Kvik

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Looking forward to the redfall party later tonight in the same way that I did for hitman absolution and thi4f back in the gaf days :LOL:

The faster we can get this crap over with the faster we can get prey 2/dishonored 3 (or a game like them).

I've always hated this excuse. PC gaming has always had a million combinations of hardware and we didn't run into this epidemic of bad ports until like 2 years ago.

I'm pretty much tired of the excuses in general. I think it was about 16 bad ports ago, so about 8 months ago lol, that I had grown tired of the excuses. I don't care that game development is hard, I don't care that PCs are hard to work with, I don't care about forced deadlines or any of that. You're charging upwards of $70 for these horrific ports and it's happening with nearly every release. Whatever the problem is figure it the hell out instead of posting excuses on twitter.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Thanks Mor for the new thread. Been stuck in Star Rail lately but since I've hit the end of the current content it is now a daily simulator for me.

Champions Edition cover slaps. F1 is back. Did anyone watch the race in Baku? It was kinda boring after the safety car. But the AM radios and Tsunoda hitting points again was pretty good.

Redfall looking like it will be absolute crap but at least it's on game pass so I'm willing to try it out with a few mates.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is the golden week steam sale officially ongoing or still upcoming ? I didn’t look at the dates for the real world event.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Sad that both Star Wars and Redfall were shipped too early, I was looking forward to both. Hopefully they both get some decent QoL updates to go along with some nice sales later this year.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
What kind of game is it, skimming the vid it looks like a farcry with vampires and a dash of fortine aesthetics.
That's unfortunately accurate.
Co-op focused on top of that.

Hard pass for me.

At least Jedi Survivor is really good. A great improvement over Fallen Order in just about every way. Perf is alright on my system, but let's not pretend it's a feat of hardware usage or anything.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Read through Steam discussions on Redfall.
Co-op/multiplayer

There's no lobbies or like server list or anything like that. It's invite only for Redfall so you've gotta be friends with the people you do Co-Op with.

Sort of uh... sounds horrible. Also Progression in the storyline/quests is for the Host only.. Disappointing for that one I was sort of looking for more CO-OP stuff for my buddies but maybe even just some randos but seeing as I literally can't find randos!

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
What a sad day for Arkane.

The rotting husk of a semi de-gaasified looter shooter that's obviously designed for co-op, except with no co-op friendly features like shared game progression, pick up matchmaking or even AI partners (or any AI for that matter, looking at video content) where the developers keep insisting that "it's actually totes a SP, Arkane DNA experience", except it's always online lol, and the distinct characters are obviously archetypes meant to complement each other in fights, something that is informed by the environment and encounter design (such as it is) and lack of compelling SP story or experience.

A game that serves no audience, basically.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Sad that both Star Wars and Redfall were shipped too early, I was looking forward to both. Hopefully they both get some decent QoL updates to go along with some nice sales later this year.
Redfall main issues is not performance, it's bad game with bad design. AI is bad, world is empty, loot is boring, all guns feel the same, story is minimalistic and almost non existent (you need to read in-game documents to learn more)... It's simply everything some of us said it will be based on previews and gameplay. But some people still insisted that Arkane just doesn't know how to market their game.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Jedi Survivor runs terribly on Xbox as well. I usually don't notice performance issues, but the the framerate drops, screen tearing, stuttering and audio randomly cutting out are unbearable. At least you can say every platform got hosed.

Partial Humble Choice leak is here. Seems likely to be another skip month for me with these headliners, but YMMV.

I bought Chaos Gate and Spiritfarer and never played them. You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.