Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
As usual I will watch Xbox streams to see new 3rd party announcements of games I'll play on my pc. Metaphor will also probably get another trailer

And trust me if I say this: you don't want to see a new Doom from modern Zenimax/Microsoft. I would love to be proven wrong but deep inside you know it's true

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Doom Eternal is too bloated, I just want to move around and shoot demons, I don't want to have to manage every aspect of the game while doing it. Grenades, shoulder mounted cannon, lightsaber, and the small ammo carry capacity didn't really did for me.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I liked Doom Eternal, it's a rare game that goes at my pace.
The guys at Xbox seem like the type to demand whatever Id makes be slowed down further t0 accomodate gamepads.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
From Xbox I"m interested in Avowed, Indiana Jones, Fable , Clockwork Revolution and the rumored Gears of War collection/Gears 6.
The South of Midnight teaser had great vibes but obviously we'll need to see more.

Yeah you can count me in the camp that didn't like Doom Eternal. I didn't like how they turned the combat loop into managing a bunch of cooldowns plus keeping track of enemy weaknesses to do decently well. It felt more like busy work than fun to me. If they continue moving in that direction with the next Doom I'm not going to bother with it despite really enjoying 2016.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Yeah Eternal wanted you to play it in a very specific way which I didn't really like.
Not entirely. Using a specific weapon can kill a specific enemy faster, but every enemy can be killed with any weapon.

I liked Eternal a lot, but the length and intensity of the battles were at the maximum limit for me to be fun. That's why I never bothered playing the DLC.

Reactions: QFNS

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I liked Doom Eternal, it's a rare game that goes at my pace.
The guys at Xbox seem like the type to demand whatever Id makes be slowed down further t0 accomodate gamepads.
Eternal is perfectly beatable on gamepad. It plays and works fine.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Tried Crow Country, can't play that on mouse+keyboard, it's isometric but with full camera controls in 3D... with no mouse movement. And to shoot, you press Space, then you have the choice of two shoot buttons: L and K.
Can't rebind anything.
Absolutely insane decisions, but they did say they intend to add rebinding at some point, because that was too much of a hurdle.

Tried Animal Well... guess what?
Can't rebind buttons either. Hope you like playing a metroidvania like an RPGMaker game circa 1996.

Of course you'll tell me that you can use Steam to change those, and of course you can (well it's not like you can add mouse movement...). But if games don't care about me, I won't care about them. I should NOT have to fuck around with Steam input just for my keyboard to be recognized correctly.
It's now an endless wave of sludge options in indies that very much make me tune out with how many options we have. Ironic considering AAA games actually care a lot about those options now..

Also, having talked about that a bit outside of here, it pushes me to play a lot more Asian games than Western ones, because they are made with PC players in mind.
When I start a Chinese or a Japanese game, I get the options I need... and isn't that sad? But hey, now the younger generations don't even know how to hold a controller, so I guess things will have to change.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I see SE financials have been released.

In there is a lot of talk about going all in on Multiplatform and less emphasis on exclusivity deals. So maybe we can expect to see more day and date releases from them.

however I will believe it when I see it. Maybe release KH on steam and we can start believing it.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I see SE financials have been released.

In there is a lot of talk about going all in on Multiplatform and less emphasis on exclusivity deals. So maybe we can expect to see more day and date releases from them.

however I will believe it when I see it. Maybe release KH on steam and we can start believing it.

Dec 5, 2018
Considering how they seem unable to handle multi-platform right now )The exclusivity of XVI has been up for ~5months and the PC version doesn't seem to be any close, and they keep giving sony free exclusivity) I'd have to wonder how they plan to handle that.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah there are a lot of unanswered questions in their financials.

From a PC perspective, losing access to Nixxes hurt SE a lot.

although I can’t understand how they can’t afford/have people available for pc ports when so many smaller Japanese devs and publishers do.

Hell CBU3 have no real excuse as they have been publishing FFXIV day and date for the last 10 years.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
From the Square Enix report:
Incomplete journey to better profitability in HD game development
└ Launched many titles but some failed to live up to profit expectations, especially outsourced titles and some AAA titles

Insufficient portfolio management on a franchise-by-franchise basis
Cannibalization of our new titles due to the launch schedule’s overlap
At least they're aware of the mess that was autumn 2022.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
That line up from Autumn 2022 could have been split across 1, maybe even 2 years and they may have gotten better support from customers.

but there biggest issue is advertising. They still tend to shadow drop stuff that isn’t being released on a Sony/Nintendo console. Even then they seem to rely on platform holders to advertise more than them.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
From the Square Enix report:

At least they're aware of the mess that was autumn 2022.
Hey, that's more self-awareness than I expected from them.

Another nail in coffin of Steam Controller :toucan:
How did they get around this with the Steam Deck? If it's just the different shape/type of back buttons then they could build a SC like that as well.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
It is very encouraging that Square seems to have accurately pinpointed the issues in their previous strategy (moneyhats, absurd release scheduling). On the other hand, it puts the defenders of that previous strategy at a pretty awkward spot. When your main argument has been that "Square have the data and you don't, they know what they are doing", how do you deal with the fact that the company decided to do what the other side was telling them to do?

In any case, multiplatform releases are a win for all gamers, even for those who argued against them.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
How did they get around this with the Steam Deck? If it's just the different shape/type of back buttons then they could build a SC like that as well.
Did they get around it? I understand this current decision to be about the old Steam Controller. I'm pretty sure this patent troll will go after the Steam Deck too. They want to get paid, after all.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Did they get around it? I understand this current decision to be about the old Steam Controller. I'm pretty sure this patent troll will go after the Steam Deck too. They want to get paid, after all.
I can't remember, what was the problem with the Steam controller, in regards to the trial?
If I remember correctly, the problem was the paddles and their design. Valve basically got around it by putting four buttons at the back instead of two.

Reactions: FunnyJay

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I can't remember, what was the problem with the Steam controller, in regards to the trial?
Basically, It came to whatever back button is too long. (There was other issues too, but those were tactically dropped prior to trial to ensure win)

Reactions: FunnyJay

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If I remember correctly, the problem was the paddles and their design. Valve basically got around it by putting four buttons at the back instead of two.
Basically, It came to whatever back button is too long. (There was other issues too, but those were tactically dropped prior to trial to ensure win)
I still expect one of these patent trolls to at least attempt to extort them over the Steam Deck too. Especially after this victory

Reactions: Alexandros

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be surprising? Why do you think every big company is trying to find a big live service?
The whole thing isn't sustainable, we've known that for a long time. And this doesn't apply to square only. Microsoft, Sony, EA, Ubi, every single big company big non-gaas games loses them money, that's why they are all looking for that infinite money glitch from a successful gaas to cover the massive financial hole they are walking towards, and in some cases already in.

"FF16 was clearly a success for Square! You action combat haters just want to dismiss its success!"

People for the last few months
I agree with you but the game would've been a financial disaster with or without TB combat. It's not the mechanics of the game that made it fail financially but the excesses in the graphical design and acting department.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
this is the other issue with money hats. It only boosts the figures in the year they receive the payment(s).

so at a guess there was a nice boost in the year the deal was made but not in any of the subsequent years.

so instead you need money hats Year after year after year to make this numbers up.

I am guessing the 7R money hat did not cover the nose dive Rebirth had in its figures

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
this is the other issue with money hats. It only boosts the figures in the year they receive the payment(s).

so at a guess there was a nice boost in the year the deal was made but not in any of the subsequent years.

so instead you need money hats Year after year after year to make this numbers up.

I am guessing the 7R money hat did not cover the nose dive Rebirth had in its figures
Sony did not pay for a full year of exclusivity for Rebirth. Of course they know that Square isn't going to be able to drop it on PC or anywhere else within half a year, so Sony just had them by the balls and gave them half the money they were likely expecting

Reactions: thekeats1999
Dec 5, 2018
I don't get it. Is this supposed to be surprising? Why do you think every big company is trying to find a big live service?
The whole thing isn't sustainable, we've known that for a long time. And this doesn't apply to square only. Microsoft, Sony, EA, Ubi, every single big company big non-gaas games loses them money, that's why they are all looking for that infinite money glitch from a successful gaas to cover the massive financial hole they are walking towards, and in some cases already in.
Less about being surprising and more about being a confirmation of what people were saying for quite a while.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I agree with you but the game would've been a financial disaster with or without TB combat. It's not the mechanics of the game that made it fail financially but the excesses in the graphical design and acting department.
I didn't say that the Action combat is responsible. The people who defend FF16 are implying that the hate from TB aficionados is overblown and that FF16 is a success (even sometimes arguing it is "because" of action combat that it even has this success.

The fall of the FF IP is manyfold. Sure, Action combat is one issue, but nearly every decision that Square took with this IP was idiotic.
"Companies know what they are doing" No, they don't. They just arbitrarily decide what they think will bring money or other subjective thoughts on consumer spending and taste.
Either Square knows jack shit about their audience, or willfully ignores it to strongarm their own taste into their flagship IP.
It's like the death of CRPG in the early 2000's when retailers and publishers one day decided that CRPG's don't sell anymore.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Checking the page about games releases (this page doesn't count the MMOs), net sales went up compared to the previous year, but there was a higher operating loss:

In the major titles listed, more than half were exclusives, the multiplatform releases were the very mediocre infinity strash, the star ocean 2 remake and the late ps4/switch releases of the FF pixel remasters, plus I guess the costs of everything (especially dev costs and marketing for the big FF games) didn't offset the earnings.

I think it's likely that they would have ended the year with operating income instead of a loss if FF16 and Rebirth were multiplatform from day 1 (Foamstars can remain exclusive, that game was doomed from the start).

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The geniuses at Square finally realized they were being played and used by Sony.

Big games like 16 and Rebirth need to clear 10 million in sales (at or near full price) for them to make financial sense. You are not doing that these days without releasing on at least 3 platforms. These deals were always stupid asf and the only ones who benefited were Sony + a few execs at Square.

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

Plenty big non-gaas games are making their money back and then some, i think the main problem is how bigger companies work and treat money and the risk involved with the longer dev times. Even if a game makes back 5x its budget that means big profits at launch and next to nothing 5+ years down the road before the relase of the next one. At that time the income from the previous game(s) is just gone, reinvested in the company and distributed to the shareholders. Essentially that studio has been a loss leader for the last year(s) waiting for the next release despite having created way more income than expenses overall. Which is fine, part of making games, but now the next game is a flop. Suddenly a part of your company that is supposed to make profit is just costing you more and more money for potentially 10 years in a row? And then maybe you get a big payoff but do you still have that amount of faith in a studio that just produced a bad game?

Status
Not open for further replies.