Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Finished Batman: Arkham Asylum, and while the game wasn't bad... it definitely has aged. Probably not going to play Arkham Knight (I played Arkham City years ago, and especially after Arkham Asylum I see little reason to replay it)

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Any of y'all picking up the new Blacksad game releasing in the next couple of days?
I'm still reading the comics (in original language to improve my French, so it'll take a while). I'll probably pick it up the first time it goes on sale.

Thankully. At least that will save us from another round of completely unnecessary remasters in the first couple of years of next gen.

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
Runaway series is pretty good, at least in art/sound department, you crazies. :shrugblob: Especially with this new 1-8bit low-res pixel shitfest trend.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Runaway series is pretty good, at least in art/sound department, you crazies. :shrugblob: Especially with this new 1-8bit low-res pixel shitfest trend.
They're not my favorite games from Pendulo.

This is by far :

This one is not bad, but not as good as The Next Big Thing :

Runaway serie looks like games for children, never got into it.

That said, I hope Blacksad will be good, but the videos are not really convincing so far.

Reactions: Wok

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I am having random crashes in Ni No Kuni 2 for no reason. The first crashes were upon starting the game during the splash logo intros. Another crash was when visiting a shop to buy potions.

This is annoying if I play a long session without saving. I need to frequently save the progress. Luckily the game has autosave so not much progress was lost when the game crashed when visiting a shop.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Everywhere on the Internet last week and so: "Blizzcon is gonne be a shitshow".

Is this years Blizzcon was a shitshow, it did lack a lot of shit.
Gamers are like children a lot of the time. After being served a fried egg with runny yolk "I'm never going to eat an egg again in all my life." The next day when served scrambled eggs "This is delicious, I want to eat this every day!"

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
I can count games with good puzzles on the fingers of one hand :blobnerd:

TNBT and Yesderday are in my backlog! Also i want their first game on digital stores - Igor: Objective Uikokahonia.

Runaway is definitely not for kids imho, too many adult innuendos :lewdblob:
Didn't know their first game : Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, thanks for the discovery. I'll try to find it somewhere :unsure:

Ok, Runaway may not be for kids, but for teenagers :lewdblob:

EDIT : found it !

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Finished The Outer Worlds (last save counted around 26 hours of playtime, with 43 side quests completed). I barely explored Byzantium though because I felt I was approaching the end of the game and I wanted to see where the story went, so you could probably add a few extra hours if explored more extensively. My build was completely unbalanced towards persuade/lie-science-hack and managed to complete the game without killing pretty much anyone.

TOW doesn't reinvent the wheel, that's for sure, but it pushes the standards of the genre to their best. I highly enjoyed my time with the game.

I'll most likely try different paths and a higher difficulty (curious the try out the survival mode) when it becomes available on Steam, too many games to play to start a second run right away.

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
anyone have played age of Civilizations?
looks interesting

Hm that game does indeed look interesting...
Sadly, looking at the reviews, it seems that the game is buggy and the developer abandoned it :disappointed-face:

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Finished The Outer Worlds (last save counted around 26 hours of playtime, with 43 side quests completed). I barely explored Byzantium though because I felt I was approaching the end of the game and I wanted to see where the story went, so you could probably add a few extra hours if explored more extensively. My build was completely unbalanced towards persuade/lie-science-hack and managed to complete the game without killing pretty much anyone.

TOW doesn't reinvent the wheel, that's for sure, but it pushes the standards of the genre to their best. I highly enjoyed my time with the game.

I'll most likely try different paths and a higher difficulty (curious the try out the survival mode) when it becomes available on Steam, too many games to play to start a second run right away.
I don't like being negative toward the game, it has all my sympathy, but I would still say that the reviewers who noted it very high are, well high. Difficulty is absolutely non existent in normal, some quests are downright lazy (thinking about setting a date for two people for example).
But I like it, that's why I'm hard on its case, all I get from playing the game (apart from pleasure and a light boredom) is for fuck's sake, do a second part with a higher budget.
I like to think a lot of the lacking aspects are just due to time, cut corners, budget. The heart is in the right place.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Everspace seems to be a fun game. Too bad I missed the historical lowest price for the Ultimate edition by 5 days :(

edit: Btw, is there no longer any way to see file size for installed games anymore?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Everspace seems to be a fun game. Too bad I missed the historical lowest price for the Ultimate edition by 5 days :(

edit: Btw, is there no longer any way to see file size for installed games anymore?
On Steam ? still the same convoluted thing, I don't believe nothing changed.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
Just saw Garry mention this on Twitter found it interesting even though I don't think the situation is nearly as bad as he's making it out to be, not yet anyway.
I don't agree with everything but having your studio in one of the most expensive cities in the world seems like the dumbest thing you can do as an indie.
There's also some good comments in the replies.

I am worried that western game devs, (mostly indies) are totally and utterly fucked. I am super-worried (and confident) that western indie game devs who are based in California (esp san fran area) are so hugely utterly fucked that its like a disaster movie. Not today, not tomorrow, not next year, but soon. Here is why.
Modern western millenial (or zoomer???) attitudes to work are different to the boomer/genX attitudes. Thats in many ways an improvement. I am a huge workaholic. I will work myself to death in order to win. I LOVE finding myself in a situation where the person who works the most wins, because then I know I will win. This is very unhealthy, and very bad, and rightly looked down upon. Its also the predominant attitude still in a huge swathe of the world, especially the ‘developing’ world, or to put it another way: China.
I could look up relative apartment/office rental costs in China versus Seattle/SF here, but why bother? you already know the answer. A dev in India/Russia/China/South America has a trivial office rental bill compared to you. Guess what… a $20 strategy game royalty buys a lot more stuff in mumbai than it does in san francisco, but the developer still earns the same $20 regardless of where they coded the game. Steam doesnt deduct income from chinese developers because they cheat by developing games somewhere more affordable.

So yeah… pure economics mean that western devs, in western cities, with western attitudes, and work-life balance are fucked. You cannot compete. Its over, you lost. Poverty awaits. You*are*fucked. Point one ends here.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
"Steam doesnt deduct income from chinese developers because they cheat by developing games somewhere more affordable."
Well. Ok.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I don't like being negative toward the game, it has all my sympathy, but I would still say that the reviewers who noted it very high are, well high. Difficulty is absolutely non existent in normal, some quests are downright lazy (thinking about setting a date for two people for example).
But I like it, that's why I'm hard on its case, all I get from playing the game (apart from pleasure and a light boredom) is for fuck's sake, do a second part with a higher budget.
I like to think a lot of the lacking aspects are just due to time, cut corners, budget. The heart is in the right place.
I actually liked the "lazy" mission you're referring to. It's not particularly exciting to play but it was cute haha. I agree about the difficulty aspect, normal is way too easy, I was actually very tempted to start the game on survival mode because I thought the sleep/eat/drink mechanics were interesting but I knew that the lack of fast travel points would have made the game tedious for me. I wish there was a way to have survival mechanics AND fast travel (simulating how fatigued you got from walking from point A to point B to not undermine the whole concept... or something).

I hope they make a sequel (or a spiritual one if 2K holds the rights to the IP, haven't checked) with a bigger budget under Microsoft.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
No fast travel on Survival ? This is a very unfortunate design decision. There is logic to it, but eh...

About the specific quest, I have two issues with it. First one is just a matter of suspension of disbelief, so it's not the end of the world. Just felt very cheap that after landing on a new planet I was assaulted with strangers asking me for personal help. Don't know how to put it, it felt cheap. Like the poster, another 'meh' moment (but with far more adequate length).
The more serious issue I have with the quest is that man, that shit is resolved in two clicks. Ok, the game itself sort it as a "Task" and not a "Quest" but still, that was light.
Thinking about it, the behavior of one of the interested party and the consequence on her neighborhood were pretty fun yeah.

But again, excuse me as I edit the shit out of my reply as new elements come up, it comes back to my original post and the lack of budget. It felt like padding and with a little work it wouldn't have annoyed me, just a little bit of something.

Reactions: Eferis

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Maaaaannnn.... I wish there were some mods to make Deus Ex HR less ugly and fix the UI scaling. The UI scaling in particular is such a problem. At 1440p I just cannot see what the hell is in my hotbar.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Just saw Garry mention this on Twitter found it interesting even though I don't think the situation is nearly as bad as he's making it out to be, not yet anyway.
I don't agree with everything but having your studio in one of the most expensive cities in the world seems like the dumbest thing you can do as an indie.
There's also some good comments in the replies.
(Directed toward the guy who wrote the article):
Why do people who fall into success always credit their 'superior effort' for their success? You can't have success without effort, but is everyone else lazy? No, you got lucky. So, first off, you're a fool.

Secondly, there are way too many indie devs making games. The market is beyond over saturated. If it wasn't the age of indie games we'd have an industry collapse. Indie devs are fucked as a rule. It is not a wise market to try to develop for. Judging from my college classmates this isn't changing either.

He says: "People with 30+ years of experience are BETTER at stuff. How is that even up for debate." In this software development world this one is not true, but I haven't yet learned why. There are a LOT of very experienced, very senior devs who cannot put together a factory model or even create classes in the language they have the most experience with. I see this all the time, and I'm dreading this time myself in the future (and hoping I am an exception). So, does this guy even code? So his whole age thing is dumb.

Ends, and steeped in spiel about the superiority of Chinese culture. I dunno. Most cultures have advantages and disadvantages. My worry with Chinese game development is they're going to blow right past the 80's Japan and 90's America and go straight to something that looks like the 00's West, based on China's current games output. I don't see a real savior for the games quality crisis at this point, nor the games economy, and it's only going to be dragged down as streaming services linger and shit up the joint.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Looking at CDKeys, I see Paranoia at 17 something. Granted the game is only 30 MSRP, but that seems like a steep discount.
And I wonder in what measure it's just a lack of confidence in the game or in the EGS. And then I wonder, I know that dev like money, understandable, but maybe they like to have customers for their products. EGS is safe money wise, but you are basically sending your game to die in obscurity. That must feel weird to someone who has passed years on it.
Just two cents, nothing more. Basically I wonder how long the status quo will last and what will go out first.

Reactions: derExperte

Deleted member 113

I've seen a few videos of Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts, which makes it seem like a sniper take on the Hitman series, and I'm tempted to pre-order it.

For those familiar with the series (which I know always got mixed reviews), is any of the previous games, in particular Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, worth it?

Also, regarding all 3 games, does anyone know if these games had pre-order bonuses that are no longer available?
I ask because this developer usually has those (for one of the games, Enemy Front, they had a whole single player mission/chapter that was a pre-order bonus, and remains unavailable), so I'm wondering what I would be missing.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Happy Birthday, Kvik !

I just finished The Silver Case and I feel like writing down my thought on it.
It's certainly something, not sure what though. I can't say I ever got to enjoy it, the way the story is told feels really strange, and none of the characters actually talk like people. I am not sure if this is due to bad translation, or if the Japanese original is as whacky. I don't have the impression that the text, if I didn't know anything about it, was produced by someone who has a good grasp on the English language.

The presentation is often painfully slow, and the moments when you need to interact often feel completely pointless, to the point where I'm not sure why this isn't a pure VN. I am not at all surprised that this is someone's debut game, it very much feels like it. The worst is probably how many of the plotlines in the game literally don't lead anywhere. Despite being a short game by VN standards (around 16 hours) , it feels longer to play to me than say Root Double, which took me 44 hours.

Yet, despite it not being a good game, or a good VN, or even a good story by any stretch, it does have a certain fascination to it, simply by how many things it tries to do, at the same time.

So in the end, I'm glad that I finished it, but I doubt I'll ever look at the sequel.

Deleted member 113

Coming soon, from Onion Games (the developer team lead by Yoshiro Kimura):

Also available on Steam:

BLACK BIRD was "criminally" overlooked on Steam, so much in fact that the developer took it as a lack on interest from PC gamers on their brand of games. Which is sad, because the game is a lot of fun, and well worth a look.

A few people (me included) have been "pestering" the developer to give their games one more try on Steam, and Dandy Dungeon will come out mostly as a result of that.
Hopefully, more people will give their games a look. I rather like them, and would love to continue to be able to play them on PC/Steam. :cat-heart-blob:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.