Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So they put in a few "cultural moment"/"taking the temp" games. Ok. Doesn't make the list dumb and I have no problem with the inclusion of flappy bird and Kim Kardashian's games. You can't have a "best of" games list and specifically exclude certain catagories of games. In this case "meme" games like flappy bird and mobile FTP in Kim Kardisian's game.
Well, it clearly depends if you list quality or popularity. If your list try to go for quality but includes some popular things in a thinly veiled attempt at controversy, I would say you list is on the shit side.
Again, didn't give a click to the list, so my opinion is of relative worth.

Its all cost to benefit. In 2015 I spent $300 to take a system that didn't support SATA 3.0/USB 3.0 into the semi modern era and get the 2GB of vram that I needed for Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and a number of other games.

I saw the writing on the wall in 2017 and with a $100 giftcard I got a PS4 for $150 to cross the bridge to get Cyberpunk 2077 (and exclusives).

No regrets.
Yeah it's the usual dichotomy. Consoles are cheap but (even if the situation has evolved in recent years) cost you an arm for each game you buy. PC games can be found for cheap but if you don't refresh the shit out of your rig regularly like a car fanatic, the pain is gonna be very real, one time or another :confused-face:

Reactions: NarohDethan

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Well, it clearly depends if you list quality or popularity. If your list try to go for quality but includes some popular things in a thinly veiled attempt at controversy, I would say you list is on the shit side.
Again, didn't give a click to the list, so my opinion is of relative worth.

Yeah it's the usual dichotomy. Consoles are cheap but (even if the situation has evolved in recent years) cost you an arm for each game you buy. PC games can be found for cheap but if you don't refresh the shit out of your rig regularly like a car fanatic, the pain is gonna be very real, one time or another :confused-face:
There is a lot of quality on the list. Minecraft is #1, StarDew is top 25, DOOM, Zelda, Super Mario Oddessy, Life Is Strange.. they all make appearances. Making a "best of list" and then including games where their qualities are not only traditional but cultural isn't invalid. I can see how it pisses people off who want lists purely on "traditional" gaming merits but that's bunk.

You can rent console games, either for free from libraries or from rental services. This actually drops the software cost down a TON. Also, I have 50 games for my PS3, many of which I spent time tracking down. So, it has a special place in my heart as well.

Reactions: Pommes and lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
You can rent console games, either for free from libraries or from rental services. This actually drops the software cost down a TON. Also, I have 50 games for my PS3, many of which I spent time tracking down. So, it has a special place in my heart as well.
Yeah, I kinda knew you did that, but not everybody have this option. That works for you and it's great, but that doesn't really change the issue on a broader scope.

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
There is a lot of quality on the list. Minecraft is #1, StarDew is top 25, DOOM, Zelda, Super Mario Oddessy, Life Is Strange.. they all make appearances. Making a "best of list" and then including games where their qualities are not only traditional but cultural isn't invalid. I can see how it pisses people off who want lists purely on "traditional" gaming merits but that's bunk.

To each their own! I disagree with culturally popular games being on GOAT lists but either way it doesnt matter. Their list did its job. Also why isnt Candy Crush on the list.

Reactions: PC-tan and MJunioR

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Yeah, I kinda knew you did that, but not everybody have this option. That works for you and it's great, but that doesn't really change the issue on a broader scope.
I mean the switch is $300, all of the games are $60 and the controllers are $75. Believe me, there are people who easily have sunk $1000 plus into the switch.

PC AAA gaming requires expensive and require multi-gen hardware upgrades. Basic PC gaming (which is a lot of pc gaming) is a lot more accessible and PC games are cheaper than ever! Almost any rig can run Hollow Knight, Return of the Obra Din, Minit ect.

Reactions: PC-tan and Wok

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Savage.

I'm sure I would love some Nintendo games. I don't like paying $299 for a switch that I can connect to a TV and $60 for a game that is almost three years old. (Zelda BOTW) Sorry Nintendo.
I'm just messin' with ya bud ;P
Bad habbit of mine sometimes.
Thing is that I wouldn't take 'website x's top 100 games of y' too seriously. At best a reference for 'games I missed out on or never heard of to try out'.

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I mean the switch is $300, all of the games are $60 and the controllers are $75. Believe me, there are people who easily have sunk $1000 plus into the switch.

PC AAA gaming requires expensive and require multi-gen hardware upgrades. Basic PC gaming (which is a lot of pc gaming) is a lot more accessible and PC games are cheaper than ever! Almost any rig can run Hollow Knight, Return of the Obra Din, Minit ect.
But... it's what I said ? :anguished-face:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
But... it's what I said ? :anguished-face:
Yes. Mostly, I too a little while to get to my point, which is....
End of the day, cheap ass pc with steam sales keeps the pain low and the enjoyment high!

To each their own! I disagree with culturally popular games being on GOAT lists but either way it doesnt matter. Their list did its job. Also why isnt Candy Crush on the list.
Going by the following two paragraphs;

For criteria, we gave ourselves a lot of latitude. Most importantly, this list represents games that Polygon’s team members have enjoyed playing the most, and still admire. Most of these games either significantly advanced the art and craft of game design in the past 10 years, or innovated in the specific context of their genre.
Some of them represent a wider shifts in gaming culture in the last decade, including esports, living games, representation, streaming, and the rise of indies. We wanted to present a list that represents how games have forged an ever more intimate relationship between the player and the experience. Here we go!

No one looked back fondly on it is why I guess.

Reactions: Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
PC AAA gaming requires expensive and require multi-gen hardware upgrades.
No, you can play AAA games just fine without multi-gen hardware upgrades. My last GPU was an 7970 (launched in 2011 yet if you search online you can see it was more than adequate even for high end demanding games like The Witcher 3, the R9 280X that was most commonly benchmarked on the mid/low end was a rebrand of this GPU), now I have a GTX1080 (launched in 2016 but I got it last year) while still using my CPU/mobo/ram from the 7970 days (so yes I will upgrade my CPU a while after the next gen consoles come along to make sure it's on par but by then it's going to be almost a decade after I first got this i7 3770K and then some years later I will also upgrade the GTX1080 and keep the same CPU and so on, upgrading each part as deemed necessary rather than all at once and all so frequently!) and not once have I been unable to play a game that interested me. Max everything at 4k 60fps? No but that doesn't mean I couldn't play AAA games that looked good and performed decently. If there is a game where I find performance or visual quality has to be too compromised it can wait until the next upgrade cycle, there are tons that are fine to play instead. Nothing about PC gaming "requires" multi-gen upgrades, people who engage in such simply have money to burn and burn it in excess for whatever benefit they see fit, more power to them but it's not any king of a requirement. You might as well proclaim AAA console gaming "requires" mid-gen upgrades now that consoles in the Pro and X style will most likely continue coming every gen.

Last edited:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
No, you can play AAA games just fine without multi-gen hardware upgrades. My last GPU was an 7970 (launched in 2011), now I have a GTX1080 (launched in 2016 but I got it last year) while still using my CPU/mobo/ram from the 7970 days (so yes I will upgrade my CPU a while after the next gen consoles come along to make sure it's on par but by then it's going to be almost a decade after I first got this i7 3770K and then some years later I will also upgrade the GTX1080 and keep the same CPU and so on, upgrading each part as deemed necessary rather than all at once and all so frequently!) and not once have I been unable to play a game that interested me. Max everything at 4k 60fps? No but that doesn't mean I couldn't play AAA games that looked good and performed decently. If there is a game where I find performance or visual quality has to be too compromised it can wait until the next upgrade cycle, there are tons that are fine to play instead. Nothing about PC gaming "requires" multi-gen upgrades, people who engage in such simply have money to burn and burn it in excess for whatever benefit they see fit, more power to them but it's not a requirement. Might as well proclaim AAA console gaming "requires" mid-gen Pro upgrades.
I'm not sure how much you spent on the separate GPUs, however if you could only afford an entry gaming card at the start of the gen, you're in trouble after a certain point. Spend $150 twice (more during the great GPU crisis) in 6 years, $600 maybe twice in 10 years for high end cards or drop $400 once for seven years and have a complete system. The final statement "might as well proclaim AAA console gaming requires mid gen pro upgrades" ignores that the GPU is just ONE PART of a CPU system that needs software upgrades, memory upgrades, motherboard and CPU upgrades. You can time your purchases right and get a ton of mileage, I don't disagree. Spend less or equate it to the longevity of the base release console... no.

Reactions: Wok and NarohDethan
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Still no RDR2 steam page right?

it would be very funny if it pops up today so they can use the forums for tech support.
nope, not yet

it'll probably be up once they announce the date (they haven't said anything beyond "December" ... we're all just assuming it'll be exactly 1 month) ... or at release

Reactions: NarohDethan

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Digimon finally got cards, those madlads did it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I'm not sure how much you spent on the separate GPUs, however if you could only afford an entry gaming card at the start of the gen, you're in trouble after a certain point. Spend $150 twice (more during the great GPU crisis) in 6 years, $600 maybe twice in 10 years for high end cards or drop $400 once for seven years and have a complete system. The final statement "might as well proclaim AAA console gaming requires mid gen pro upgrades" ignores that the GPU is just ONE PART of a CPU system that needs software upgrades, memory upgrades, motherboard and CPU upgrades. You can time your purchases right and get a ton of mileage, I don't disagree. Spend less or equate it to the longevity of the base release console... no.
I resigned myself that I’ll probably buy a PS5 before a new PC.
better late than never

now add new library assets to all your older games, Bamco :disapproval-blob:
Yes more anime cards pls

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If you can only afford an entry level GPU at the start of the gen simply don't buy it because you already know it won't be enough to last you the generation so just wait until you can afford something better that will last you a while. If you do totally want to buy a GPU right then, and have in mind that indeed you will be able to upgrade again when you need it because you'll be better off financially, that's a conscious choice you're making, not a requirement. You don't have to upgrade day and date with a console, hell the consoles don't all release at once, some times they are close enough and others quite far from each other (and obviously people don't all buy them right at launch anyway so why should you buy your parts right there and then yourself?). But that's just repeating what I said in my last post anyway, none of the hardware I got was launched or bought alongside a console gen, PC gaming is far more fluid to match user needs.

Last edited:

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
I skipped most of the overworld stuff, as much as the completionist in me wept. You'll burn yourself out trying to nail some of the harder riddler trophies that way.
There are these 10 part side quests I keep coming across and riddler stuff for multiple characters, there are challenge modes, those extremely annoying AR (Red batman symbols that make you float through green circles), there is also new game + and there appears to be a seperate Harley campaign. Since I am obviously not going to play NG+ and get 100% I am trying to skip some just for the story and the game is great, but I it really pains me when I skip stuff as I always try to get 100% of everything.

Reactions: Alexandros

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
If you can only afford an entry level GPU at the start of the gen simply don't buy it because you already know it won't be enough to last you the generation so just wait until you can afford something better that will last you a while. If you do totally want to buy a GPU right then, and have in mind that indeed you will be able to upgrade again when you need it because you'll be better off financially, that's a conscious choice you're making, not a requirement. You don't have to upgrade day and date with a console, hell the consoles don't all release at once, some times they are close enough and others quite far from each other. But that's just repeating what I said in my last post anyway, none of the hardware I got was launched or bought alongside a console gen, PC gaming is more fluid.
Sometimes its the choice between "I'd like to be able to play a few games coming out this year now" vs "nothing". Or "I've got the money now, the window is short, its now or never". In those cases, a console is the better choice. Not everyone can jump into the gen after spending $330 on a CPU that was released a year beforehand. The console, with its long life support, is $400 on release and a complete system.

I never said you have to upgrade day and date with a console. However, its useful due to the number of cross gen games. PC gaming hardware is fluid but console generations are still steps up in a stair that not every pc part can make/maintain.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Back in 2014 I spent maybe $600USD+ on my GTX 660 and AMD FX 8320 and my mobo only had SATA 2 and USB 2.0

I upgraded to a GTX 1070ti last year, I basically had to upgrade a vast majority of my PC and the upgrade cost me over $1K USD I think (I also spent $500USD on a new monitor). So I went from just a little above 720p at 60fps in pre-2015 games at medium settings to 1440p at 90fps on high settings in most games.

As for spending a lot of money on the N/S I think I have maybe spent close to $800USD on mine but I hardly ever use the thing. FE 3H was what I used it the most for and I think I spent maybe 60hours or so playing it before I stopped playing the game.

Also I remember Polygon......

And I can wait for RDR2.

Just one more week until Jedi and Death Stranding for me.
Also it's recommend to upgrade every 4-5 years isn't it?

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I've always found the word "rig" to sound so ridiculous. Like when it's used unironically I see a computer looking like a transformer filled with RGB lights and crap like that! 😂
Yeah sounds alittle like "pimp up my ride" kind of thing.:D And to be honest, I unironically want a little bit of discreet RGB ligthing in my future build.XD

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
God, I can't wait for REmake 3, I'm a huge RE fan and REmake 2 was so, so good. It's definitely my goty.
I hope they do CV as well, Claire has always been my favorite character and REmake Claire really grew on me even though I was weary of her at first.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Digimon finally got cards, those madlads did it.

Oh there at 15 cards.... Ya I'm guessing Bandai is doing this on purpose for that sweet sweet anime trading card money. Since most of this stuff (once it settles down) will cost around $0.20 per card and the foil stuff will be around $3 USD (or more) per card.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sometimes its the choice between "I'd like to be able to play a few games coming out this year now" vs "nothing". Or "I've got the money now, the window is short, its now or never". In those cases, a console is the better choice. Not everyone can jump into the gen after spending $330 on a CPU that was released a year beforehand. The console, with its long life support, is $400 on release and a complete system.

I never said you have to upgrade day and date with a console. However, its useful due to the number of cross gen games. PC gaming hardware is fluid but console generations are still steps up in a stair that not every pc part can make/maintain.
Again, all those are choices. Yes you can go for a console, that's a fine choice weighed against your own needs, wants, and situation, personal rather than universal. None of it makes multi-gen PC upgrades a requirement and it's just obfuscating what was discussed by introducing unnecessary theatrics (now or never, really? Is it a life or death situation, you can somehow spend that money and not miss/need it later but if you set it aside it will need to be used up?).

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
My PC is 5 years old with a 1060 upgrade last year and I can play most games just fine.
I also upgraded to a 500GB SSD but it isn't needed per se. The loading times are cool though. The only real impact on a game was on Path of Exile, where the loading time made a big difference, and the sporadic microstuttering (that was somehow sound related) completely vanished after switching to the SSD.

The only issue I have is with RAM-intensive games like Minecraft. 16Gigs isn't enough for modded Minecraft.

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
lol ... Shadow of Toomba Roomba Definitive
I just updated and tried the game for myself. There is no fitness outfit or any new outfits in my game. When I tried wearing one of the standard outfits and fast traveled to Paititi, the outfit was changed into the serpent outfit. So the outfit restriction has not been lifted, or there's a bug preventing it from working properly. Lastly in the DLC Tombs menu, the additional tomb has now been removed. So all the Tombs we got so far are the only ones available.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Again, all those are choices. Yes you can go for a console, that's a fine choice. That doesn't make multi-gen PC upgrades a requirement as you stated.
So a gtx 780 would give an acceptable performance in cyberpunk 2077?

High end pc gaming will always be a little niche. PC gaming itself is accessible.

Reactions: Wok

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
My PC is 5 years old with a 1060 upgrade last year and I can play most games just fine.
I also upgraded to a 500GB SSD but it isn't needed per se. The loading times are cool though. The only real impact on a game was on Path of Exile, where the loading time made a big difference, and the sporadic microstuttering (that was somehow sound related) completely vanished after switching to the SSD.

The only issue I have is with RAM-intensive games like Minecraft. 16Gigs isn't enough for modded Minecraft.
I think what he means is that ‘if I’m gonna play just fine then I might just get it on PS4’.
For the balls to the wall experience then yeah one has to spend quite a bit.

Reactions: MJunioR

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Ugghhh I can't wait, it's probably the game I'm most hyped for and the next one where I may just take time off for it. Ya'll can have your cowboy foraging simulators and your Doot Calls, I'll be making the world peaceful whether it wants to be or not :cat-heart-blob:

On the conversation of PC hardware, it is a complicated thing. If you can afford to hit not the entry level but price-spike-threshold level, you can have a PC that lasts for longer than a console, give or take one video card upgrade. But if you go budget, so easier to get started, but harder to maintain. Last year I built a new PC after having used the same core one for ~9 years, only adding another hard drive and a mid-tier video card halfway through, and I didn't need to, it could still run AAA stuff, I mostly did it because for the first time I realized I could go all-out on one and it had been something I always wanted to do for myself.

It also depends on what you want out of it. 1080p 60fps gaming on PC isn't hard, but 4k gaming is an investment, compared to a PS4 Pro say. But, most people don't even have a 4k TV either.

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
The criteria for Polygon's list makes no sense to me because it seems to vacillate between personal love for a game, and "cultural importance." If you're going by cultural importance, sure Flappybird and Kim K's game were a huge phenomenon that could deserve inclusion on a list of games from the decade.

Nah, the list is really dumb because of these two blurbs:

Excuse me, what the flying shit?
LOL that last one. Had a good hearty chuckle here at work, got some looks.

Reactions: xinek
Status
Not open for further replies.