Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Not even the same type of game is it?

I thought the Dark Crystal game is an SRPG and this one looks like RPG or dungeon crawler, wandering around dungeons until you meet enemies etc.

It does look better but if I want an SRPG I'll go for something else (like Fell Seal or the coming Fae Tactics, maybe Dark Crystal if it proves itself later).
They're both turn-based tactical RPGs, but Naheulbeuk has free-roaming in-between combat, while Dark Crystal is your classic mission-based maps.

Fell Seal was great, I highly recommend it. Fae Tactics has cards and I loathe games with cards mechanics incorporated into the combat system. There's another one that I'm looking forward to, Arcadian Atlas.

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
:minos_poop: stahp RDR2 dick measuring contests or whatever these wankers are doing STAAAHHPPPPPPPPPP :minos_poop:

Your video card is gud I get it

guess what's not gud? Measuring your e peener

:minos_gun:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Castlevania Lords of Shadow is a better game than I thought it would be.
It is a 7 out of 10 game for me, but a bit more on the positive side of things
Among its weaker design decisions imo
1. Fixed camera
2. Qtes
3. Reacting to enemy actions can feel off if u want to block or dodge roll

Non the less it has solid combat and some decent adventuring and light puzzle solving.

Well i am intrigued

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Well i am intrigued
Coming from RPG devs, that Corner Wolves game has to be a RPG, right?

The description does sound interesting.
Corner Wolves is a fictional universe set in Harlem in the mid-’90s, where Jacinte, a young Afro-Latina, embarks on a mission to find her father’s killer. Corner Wolves tells the stories of young people growing up in the hood, and how their lives are shaped and defined by the war on drugs, as they are caught between dope dealers, hustlers, and overzealous police

Reactions: lashman and Pommes

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Just realised, all three of the early unlocks on humble monthly were in my wishlist! I only have a slightly over 100 long wishlist. So in other words humble has been killing it!

Reactions: Mor

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I've finished the Leon campaign in RE6 last night. The train part in chapter 4 was incredible! The final boss in chapter 5 was impressive as well, although the fight was way, way too long.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
From what I played of Conception 1, it was very bad. Conception 2 was also very bad.
Spike Chunsoft RPGs are not great, though I haven't played Zanki Zero.

Still better than Idea Factory, but that's not saying much.

Reactions: 「Echo」

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
So Steam might be working on cloud gaming service, "Steam Cloud Gaming".

Ability to get cloud and local copy for one price? Best of both worlds.
Inb4 it's a platform agnostic Service that Epic will use for the EGS

From what I played of Conception 1, it was very bad. Conception 2 was also very bad.
Spike Chunsoft RPGs are not great, though I haven't played Zanki Zero.

Still better than Idea Factory, but that's not saying much.
NepNep is fun, SUE ME

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Took advantage of gamepass to play Hellblade, and I have to say - I enjoyed it quite a bit. Fuck UWP apps, though. The game itself didn't have a framerate cap option (was clearly running above 60FPS at times, too) and UWP meant I couldn't just use Radeon Settings to make one myself. Annoying.

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019

I'd really love the option to stream the games I own without having my PC running at home. And possibly streamable via a browser, instead of a dedicated app, so that I could play during lunch break at work :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: lashman and MJunioR

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

I mean, to some extent you already get that if you have a Steam copy. You can e.g. rent cloud systems from Nvidia to stream those games.

The problem I see is that such a service can never really be cheap. The big ones are heavily subsidized in exchange for lock-in -- when there's no lock-in there's also no way to subsidize. And game streaming server usage is not cheap.

No way devs would agree to one price but I can see them selling streaming licenses as DLC.
What do you mean by that? The way I see it devs would have nothing to do with it -- you'd buy the game from them to play, it's just that you don't own the hardware you are running it on?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
What do you mean by that? The way I see it devs would have nothing to do with it -- you'd buy the game from them to play, it's just that you don't own the hardware you are running it on?
yup, pretty much this ... it will DEFINITELY work the same way geforce now does

the only real question is - how much it'll cost

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Can Valve legally mandate something like that tho? I don't really know but it feels like streaming is a different form of distribution so there could be lawsuits or something like that. I feel like devs would have to opt in and I don't see them doing it unless there is $$$ involved.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I'm sure that if Steam offers such a service it would not be available to all who have bought any game on Steam but rather as an extra subscription or similar pricing scheme you can opt-in to. Offering such a service without charging anything beyond selling the games as they already have would just put a huge dent in their operating costs without necessarily bringing enough additional profit. It's one thing to let you redownload your games at will, which most people generally don't do that often, and a whole other thing to let you directly stream gameplay in that manner where you then won't only use it when your PC isn't up to snuff but also when you haven't installed a game and just wanna play it right on the spot, to play it on another device, to family share, maybe even just to skip HDD load times or to avoid a large install on your SSD or whatever other reason, instantly, just by clicking play and quickly using up tons of gigabytes.

Last edited:
Reactions: madjoki

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Can Valve legally mandate something like that tho? I don't really know but it feels like streaming is a different form of distribution so there could be lawsuits or something like that. I feel like devs would have to opt in and I don't see them doing it unless there is $$$ involved.
I mean, what you get when you buy a game on Steam is a license to play it, it doesn't limit what hardware you can run it on (just that you only run it once at a time).

I really don't see why any developer would be against it -- the only thing it means is that they can potentially sell more copies of the game (i.e. to people without a PC that can run it).

Yeah, I'm sure that if Steam offers such a service it would not be available to all who have bought any game on Steam but rather as an extra subscription or similar you can opt-in to.
Of course, but that's the subscribers paying for access to the servers, it has nothing to do with individual games.

Reactions: lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I was just saying it's not likely Steam can offer it for free. I also agree that it should technically have nothing to do with individual games/developers/publishers. It's more like Remote Play Together in that aspect, just a new Steam service for games you already bought and Valve already gave the cut from that to the given developer/publisher. If Valve charged users for this new service rather than make it free what grounds would a developer of a game that didn't bother having online have to ask for another cut outside the original sale for a service that lets users enjoy that and any other game online?

Last edited:
Reactions: MJunioR

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I mean, what you get when you buy a game on Steam is a license to play it, it doesn't limit what hardware you can run it on (just that you only run it once at a time).

I really don't see why any developer would be against it -- the only thing it means is that they can potentially sell more copies of the game (i.e. to people without a PC that can run it).
With how greedy big devs and pubs have gotten nowadays + all the talks of percentage cuts....I just don't see this being free for owners of games in anyway. Especially seeing the partnerships between Google and Ubisoft. I think there would have to be similar agreements. Valve could make it all free for steam owners ofc by fronting the bill and that would be amazing but I doubt it. Cloud gaming costs hundreds of millions at this point and I don't see Valve being that generous. DLC streaming licenses would be a decent compromise imo. Assuming the prices aren't too expensive.

It would be funny if Valve put all the pressure on devs to make it free. Like mandating an opt in service which would draw all the angry gamers towards devs who don't opt in lol.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
EA is sure taking their sweet ass time with giving me that extra free Premier month. I subbed to Premier and activated 2FA on 31st oct.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
EA is sure taking their sweet ass time with giving me that extra free Premier month. I subbed to Premier and activated 2FA on 31st oct.
I got it yesterday.
Though I don't feel like using it at all right now, lol.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
With the talk of Steam maybe having a streaming service, It's made me think of how many non-gaming services I subscribe to that just take my money every month without me paying any attention to how much actual value there is to them. The number is surprisingly large and Steam would just be a +1 to that.

Edit: I don't mean to say I would view Steam as not having value. I mean that Steam would just be something I sub to every month alongside say Spotify where some months I don't use it and other months I use it a lot and I just have the sub running regardless of actual use in the forgotten zone of my mind.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Each time a bad pc port is being released, console gamers spam social media that this is the reason why console gaming is far superior to pc gaming. Hilarious. 😂
Yea console gamers go through the same thing as well. Its like every time Bethesda releases a console game...PC gamers can easily say the same thing. "This is why I game on PC instead of console."

Moral of the story is Rockstar is not a good PC game developer. They have shit support for their older games and they take forever to release their new stuff on PC. They make games for consoles and port them to PC instead of doing it the opposite way like most devs in the industry do. Judging PC gaming based on what Rockstar does in the space is just stupid.

With that said it is very disappointing to hear RDR2 has a lot of issues. The base consoles are so weak yet everyone praised the performances last year...so its ridiculous that cards like 1060 are struggling with this game. Hopefully they iron out all issues b4 the steam release but I strongly doubt it. Regardless its all on Rockstar. If they don't correctly support this game and the stupid new launcher its their funeral. They will lose out on millions and millions of dollars longterm.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Moral of the story is Rockstar is not a good PC game developer. They have shit support for their older games and they take forever to release their new stuff on PC. They make games for consoles and port them to PC instead of doing it the opposite way like most devs in the industry do. Judging PC gaming based on what Rockstar does in the space is just stupid.
They somehow managed to release a game that crashes on AMD systems if the BIOS is too new. Or too old. Depends on which way around it is, something to do with the AGESA version. Never seen that before. Hey, maybe Timmy didn't pay them, they were just afraid of the Steam reviews, they'd probably be around 20% right now.

You know who releases pretty great PC versions most of the time? EA. They deserve shit for a lot of things but their games usually work great (or are busted everywhere equally like Anthem). Having a great time with NfS Heat right now, doubt I'll play anything else this week, nothing spectacular, doesn't reach the quality of Forza Horizon but you get what you expect. Haven't even found any microtransactions yet. 8.5/10, would play cheaply through Premier again. And I might've mentioned it already but please, if you're subbed give Sea of Solitude a go.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
KuF2 is going to be so bad
Well, at least they're including the Korean voices alongside the English dub. Wish more games included Korean dub options.
To be honest, the number of games coming from Korea has never been that large to begin with.
And with MMOs being in such a state, it's not going to get better.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im very interested in "Steam Cloud Gaming", especially if when you buy a game, you can choose to install it or stream it whenever you want.

To me, streaming is all about options. As long as you have the option (and the option is never removed) when you buy a game to install it or stream it from some servers, I have no problem with it.

A properly done Steam Cloud Gaming could kill Stadia, PS Now, xCloud and other game streaming services. It might also have an impact on Xbox Scarlett and PS5.

Reactions: Milena and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.