Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

đź‘€ I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I don't think market purchases use 2FA confirmation. So that can be done if they get login info somehow. (Usually fake login pages).

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh yeahhhh, with how Steam breaks my balls on the regular asking for 2FA on PC or Ipad, how can this happen ?
Steam is insufferable with this shit.

Nabs

HyperË—Toxic ProË—Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

This game looks neat. These animations are super smooth. I can't stop watching. I don't see a Steam page yet, so here's hoping I don't forget it down the line.

Tizoc you might find it interesting.

Reactions: Mor and Tizoc

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Almost done with Atelier Ryza, and I've had a ton of fun - but I'm not entirely sure if I'm gonna end up doing the post-game stuff. Part of me wants to, but I can already tell it's going to be more than a little grind-y to do so... we'll see!

Reactions: MegaApple

madjoki

đź‘€ I see you
Sep 19, 2018
But wouldn't you need 2FA code to login? I never did anything of the sort lately.
Well, if they were able to obtain cookies from your computer then, no (or otherwise run code in context of Steam - eg. with browser extensions).

• This!

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
But wouldn't you need 2FA code to login? I never did anything of the sort lately.
The thief would not need to log in, he would send an HTTP request with the right cookies, and the transaction would go through. Personally, I never do it to purchase items from the market (because I find it too risky in case of a bug), but I often do it to sell low-value items.

What is more worrying for you is that even after the cookies expire, I think there is a large time window to get the new cookies without logging in. So this could happen again anytime, say after a few weeks.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Queen suggested that it's probably from an off-site where I'm (or have) logged in via Steam which got breached. I guess that's what happened since I'm logged in in various places via Steam. This blows though, and I'm going to stop storing money on Steam from now on. I'll just top up when I need to buy something.

That was my Nioh 2 funding that I've saved since before the pandemic. :pensive-face:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Queen suggested that it's probably from an off-site where I'm (or have) logged in via Steam which got breached. I guess that's what happened since I'm logged in in various places via Steam. This blows though, and I'm going to stop storing money on Steam from now on. I'll just top up when I need to buy something.

That was my Nioh 2 funding that I've saved since before the pandemic. :pensive-face:
It's a shame Steam isn't as systematic about this as Google is. You can use your Google account to log into tons of stuff, but then easily see which sites have access to what (with very fine granularity on the types of access you want to give them) and then also get a nice overview over all sites and services that use your Google account, where you can easily revoke those permissions after the fact.
Steam is being used in similar ways on many sites, and I feel Valve should get smarter about what kind of data they give these places. They shouldn't get some sort of universal key to your account, and it should always be possible to for the user to revoke anything after the fact. As far as I can tell, there's literally no way to know about who has access to your account, if you don't keep track of it yourself.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com

But won't steam refund it? It has to be some way right?

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I bought:

Total War: Warhammer 2 DLC (but that's unrelated to the sale).

Homeworld Remastered Collection

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Batman - Telltale Shadows Edition

Ryse: Son of Rome
Since it's Black Friday and stuff right now is the best time to buy a PSU and stuff right? so what is a recommended PSU for a RTX 3080? I don't have one but when I upgrade my PC sometime next year along with my CPU. I plan to get am AMD Ryzen CPU but I'm not sure which one of those I will get I might try to get a Noctual CPU cooler though. I am going to stay with my ASROCK X470 Taichi Motherboard and it will work with the new CPUs after the BIOs update next year I think. But I may wait to see what other motherboards come out since I might just upgrade to one with Gen 4 NVME
PSUs are surprisingly expansive again over here, in general there is no go to PSU. Just get something from a reputable brand, 750W minimum.
Personally I like BeQuiet, Corsair and Seasonic PSUs

Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850w

If you want to get an idea about efficiancy, noise etc.

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Sucks big time.
But this also a reminder to be very careful where to log-in off site.

Incident that happened to me (It's a Wild Ride):
I was friend with a guy who wrote nice Steam review (and also on a website) on niche and retro games. Out of blue, he messages me about website. Said to log-in and vote for his CSGO team.
(I know it this already sounds suspicious, but I had trust in that guy)

When I opened the site, it asked to link my steam account. However instead of that one-click linking page (it comes when you are already logged-in), it asked by user-id and password. The login page looked legit, so I entered it and logged in.
But then it redirected me to some other CSGO tournament/betting website instead of voting. I was baffled. I did it again and the result was the same.

I went to ask the guy, but he had already unfriended me. When I sent him a request, he blocked me. When I understood what happened, I immediately changed my password.

ALSO I just checked that guy's account and it turns out SOMEONE HACKED HIS ACCOUNT AND WAS ASKING EVERYONE FOR CSGO VOTES, LMAO.

MORAL :
  1. Never fill a website that asks for id-password when Steam linking
  2. Trust no-one; the guy who's scamming you could be hacked himself.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Is there a way to see which external sites I have logged in with Steam login?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Ahah, gotta love CDKeys. I snoze at 40, two days later Cyberpunk is back at 45.
The funniest was Halo MCC at 12 or so. The day after it was 14 and the next 16. Or something like that. Reeked of 'we discounted a little too hard here, boys'.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com

That really sucks. I hope you get this transaction reverted.

In speaking of Steam funds, I have a funds in my Steam Wallet, which I seem to never use. How can I cash it in easily? Should I help people buy games for 10% off or something?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Bought two games during the sale:

A mix of puzzle quest-like combat with roguelike mechanics. Played 5 hours+ already and it is overall a solid game, but the progression system is definitely lacking. On a side note, I have been eyeing this game on Switch for a few years lol. Somehow it seldom gets on sale there so I finally pull the trigger on Steam. Controls completely fine even without touch control.

Don't think I need to introduce this game. JUST BUY IT. Enjoy the incredible music and sense of adventure!

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
In speaking of Steam funds, I have a funds in my Steam Wallet, which I seem to never use. How can I cash it in easily? Should I help people buy games for 10% off or something?
If you usually purchase your games from bundles with Paypal, you should be able to pay for games with Steam Wallet on Group Buys instead.
Although I have never done it myself, I know the theory: you give an item to somebody, he lists it and you pay him through Steam Market to get the item back. You will need an item like this one, which features individual listings and few pages:

The drawback is that you pay more than with Paypal:
  1. you pay the market fees to Valve,
  2. and the seller usually increases the price by up to 25%.
There's a maximum markup for wallet payments of 25%.

Last edited:

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I just noticed that I'm hacked..

From the purchase history, I bought a CSGO item yesterday for $60 from my wallet. The seller name is there as well. I have 2FA from my phone and all.

How did it happen? What can I do to get my money back, if possible?
I really hope you can your money back.
Even with 2FA enabled you are never going to be 100% secure on any system. There's absolutely no 100% security on the internet.

Well, if they were able to obtain cookies from your computer then, no (or otherwise run code in context of Steam - eg. with browser extensions).
My first thought was either you got your computer/mobile compromised by an extension/malware/etc.. or you clicked on a hijacked url which stole your credentials.
If you are on Chrome go to chrome://settings/ =>advanced => Reset and clean up (Clean up computer) => Find harmful software.

Is there a way to see which external sites I have logged in with Steam login?
Yes, there is. Steam Account gathers a lot of user info data but I don't think they make that easily visible and people probably don't know about it either.

Everything you might want to know about your account and other things are under the "support" category => My account

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
If you usually purchase your games from bundles with Paypal, you should be able to pay for games with Steam Wallet on Group Buys instead.
Although I have never done it myself, I know the theory: you give an item to somebody, he lists it and you pay him through Steam Market to get the item back. You will need an item like this one, which features individual listings and few pages:

The drawback is that you pay more than with Paypal:
  1. you pay the market fees to Valve,
  2. and the seller usually increases the price by up to 25%.

It's too much job to a small sum of money. I think I am going to try to buy games to other people for 10-20% price off instead

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I had forgotten (and I realize again) that the Yakuza series is not on Geforce Now anymore. It used to be available there.
It is so annoying when publishers remove their game from this service.

madjoki

đź‘€ I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Off-site login just gives Steam ID, it can't be used for anything but reading.
Unless one of sites were compromised and presented fake login screen.

You should never give username /password, just agree to login.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I just finished the CoD Cold War campaign, took me like 5 hours or something, sadly no playtime tracking in-game or in the Battle.net client.

However the client allows me to uninstall only the campaign which is nice, the whole game takes 80 gb and the campaign alonbe takes almost 45 gb lol.

Reactions: Ge0force

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
I was looking how the new TrackMania was going (Since it went on Epic I decided to not even look a trailer or something else) and I found out that they aren't using their Maniaplanet Forum for it. This is the official hub of the game:

An unmoderated, empty mess as you can see. Forums were a big part of Trackmania (It was just like Egosoft with the X Saga), thanks to the fact that a lot of devs were pro active. A lot of feedback and adjustment were reported right there, tournament, mod, new blocks proposal and whatsoever
I'm so fucking sad, Ubi has definitely killed one of my favourite franchise...

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Playing the Ghostbusters game just now.

It's ok.
I see the clear appeal in a new original ghostbusters story, and this is pretty full of fan service.
The moment to moment gameplay though is fairly meh.

Erekiddo

Dec 31, 2018
I just noticed that I'm hacked..

From the purchase history, I bought a CSGO item yesterday for $60 from my wallet. The seller name is there as well. I have 2FA from my phone and all.

How did it happen? What can I do to get my money back, if possible?
This is 100% what happened to me. Can you PM me the seller name? I’m curious if it’s the same person .

edit: From my experience and now texhnolyze’s, I think it’s safe to say you should be weary using Steam Economy Enhancer if you’re holding a balance in your Steam wallet. It was the last thing I did before I woke up to someone using my funds to purchase $116 in CS:GO marketplace items. Valve won’t help whatsoever.

Last edited:

Erekiddo

Dec 31, 2018
  • Eyes
Reactions: inky and Tomasety

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Well all this talk of hacking has made me delete the payment method I had saved with my account.

I only have like ÂŁ30 in wallet funds but might just spend them all ASAP :V

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Got another win in apex legends and less then 30 days before my Steam community ban expires, FeelsGoodMan

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I got Death Stranding because of its historical low and... While I'm absolutely in awe at the landscape's fidelity, at the zany atmosphere and the art direction for how "aged" such a world would look like...

Does this game ever shut up? I can't head into a menu without rolling my eyes at that annoying jingle of someone calling the radio to over-expose a mechanic I understood the first time, let alone the ten they reminded me.

That being said, the cinematography is amazing, the technical achievements - not really in graphical terms, but in terms of tricks and the smoke and mirrors they used in those cutscenes is really impressing me. The way they play with the UI, and the efficiency of their use of resources in inducing a feeling in the player is really amazing and speaks to a very well-designed underlying framework. It's a very smartly-produced game and while the plot and themes are really on the nose - hi, your social connection to us are handcuffs while you give out likes, it's totally not an allegory to social media with big brother under/overtones while every interaction everyone has with Sam is completely non-consensual, especially the establishment of contracts, down to his phobia of contact that everyone gleefully gives no two shit about, including his own freaking abusive mother - it's still a very interesting and cohesive package of ideas so far.

I actually find it pretty ironic how all the game's nuances are found in the mechanics, rather the overt narration because Kojima's storytelling in this one has has the subtlety of a truck hitting you in the face as a way to explain momentum. I fear Kojima may have the allegory problem, wherein just substituting symbols for topics is seen as the goal, instead of actually having something meaningful to convey about them. I guess the journey ahead will tell, and I hope the experience itself will convey things of a nature that movies/text can't touch.

Also I dread the photo mode because this is going to become the game for me, I know it.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Picked up Hypnospace Outlaw (liked it on game pass), Battletoads (liked it on game pass) and Just Shapes & Beats.

Game pass is a nice way to discover games I wanna buy. :p

A second problem I have with game pass apart from the first which is no ownership is that I feel somewhat pressured to finish games which reduces my enjoyment of playing the games. So I rather buy the games and put them in the backlog.

Also, I heavily dislike there's no playtime tracking, only certain games have it, but it's very rare, not even most of MS first party games have it.

Reactions: manchego obfuscator
Status
Not open for further replies.